PDA

View Full Version : Virtual Memory message logging into a website

rufus.t.firefly
26th Apr 2006, 20:14
Tried to access a regular website that I access on a regular basis. Can access from my desktop pc but if I use my laptop I get a downloading box and a message saying microsoft internet explorer was unable to open this site. the requested site is unavailable ...please try again later

Yet if I switch on the desktop I can access the site , an ideas ?? Keep getting a message about virtual memory low ? yet I can access other websites with no access.

Any ideas:\

DBTL
27th Apr 2006, 10:55
Someone has been there or close by before :ok: :

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=222035

rufus.t.firefly
27th Apr 2006, 12:19
Thanks DBTL , I'll try and give it a go.

Cannot understand why I can access a certain website from my desktop but cannot access it from my laptop. Every other website I access from the laptop has no problems at all.

I just get that damn downloading box + virtual memory notification along the
taskbar. If I open it in another link i.e. www.xxxxxxxxx.co.uk/content etc by adding a sub page I just get a page of letters and symbols !

Have run anti virus and system restore to see if anything untoward has been
added or snook onto the machine but the scan says its okay.

Annoying to say the least:*

Irish Steve
27th Apr 2006, 13:17
Are you running XP, and does it auto update patches? If yes, have a look at the stickies at the top of the page, Microsoft screwed up a patch a couple of weeks back, and there are all sorts of strange unrelated symptoms to this bug.

Might not be related, but based on painful experience with a good few machines here, it's worth checking it out.

rufus.t.firefly
28th Apr 2006, 13:06
sorted guys ...thanks

some tweaking of the virtual memory required