PDA

View Full Version : Potential Tax Break for us . . ..

FFP
26th Apr 2006, 19:54
Have a look at this

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=27967

Am in no doubt this is genuine and works, but for us in the RAF, do we have laundry facilities on offer that we can use that would mean we couldn't claim this ?

Thoughts ?

Talking Radalt
26th Apr 2006, 20:06
Claim = JPA = Computer says no.

And besides, you CAN get your flying kit/uniform laundered through stores/SES if you really want to (and can wait two weeks).
Ask any ginger, OX26/F34-soaked overalls wreck a domestic washing machine.

Lima Juliet
26th Apr 2006, 21:33
I tried to claim for this dodge nearly 10 years ago (yes self assessment has been with us a long time) - the tax man told me to bog off! (in slightly better tones)

w@nk£rs http://forums.mg-rover.org/images/smilies/flipa.gif

Pontius Navigator
26th Apr 2006, 21:35
<<And besides, you CAN get your flying kit/uniform laundered through stores/SES if you really want to (and can wait two weeks).
Ask any ginger, OX26/F34-soaked overalls wreck a domestic washing machine.>>

Health and Safety kick in here. Flying kit should be 'serviced' which includes proper cleaning and SES is established to do it. We have just had to install washer/driers as dirty overalls are not allowed out of the dirty area.

As for other cleaning bills etc. There is no reason why you cannot calculate the cost of laundry/dry cleaning etc and claim this on top of the standard deduction for kit.

Boot polish OTOH may not wash :) because you can wear your black uniform shoes with civvies. A barrister no less lost this one because they argued that her court attire could be used out of work. She appealled and I am not sure how that one went.

RubiC Cube
27th Apr 2006, 09:15
In my time on Fat Albert dry cleaning of flying suits down route was always paid from the imprest.

FFP
27th Apr 2006, 11:18
This has nothing to do with JPA. It would be an individual matter between you and the taxman. Tax code would be adjusted I presume. JPA not reqd (in more ways than one !!)

Also, down route as Rubic stated, you can have your uniform laundered at public expense. Which is fine. But at home base ?

I guess the answer I was looking for was that SES / Stores can do it. Which means the tax man will say no.

Talking Radalt
27th Apr 2006, 16:01
It would be an individual matter between you and the taxman.

No it's wouldn't, because there ARE ways to get uniform cleaned through work channels, so as mentioned the IR will probably tell you to do one.

And the JPA bit was a joke. :rolleyes:

FFP
27th Apr 2006, 16:40
No it's wouldn't, because there ARE ways to get uniform cleaned through work channels, so as mentioned the IR will probably tell you to do one.

As my last post stated !

But I'm confused. You joked about using JPA, I say it has nothing to do with JPA and it's an individual matter between an individual and the taxman, and then you say "No it wouldn't be". But then go on to describe how it actually is between me and the taxman.

So, in summary, it would be between me and the Taxman then ?!?!?!

Apologies for not getting the JPA joke. It's just hard to pick out those that actually know what they are talking about and those that try and use everything as an excuse to slag off the system :p

Talking Radalt
27th Apr 2006, 19:52
So, in summary, it would be between me and the Taxman then ?!?!?!

In so far as they'll be the ones telling you it's a non-starter, yes it is between you and them, but since it's not tax-deductable it's not really anything to do with them either! Geddit?

JPA still sux.

FFP
28th Apr 2006, 06:16
Agree with you on that ! JPA definately sux !

But still not feeling your train of thought Talking Radalt. Doesn't make a difference if something turns out to be deductable or not: the matter is between you and the taxman. In this instance it is tax deductable, but your individual circumstances need to meet certain criteria.

You contact IR, state your case, they say yes or no. A matter between you and the taxman. Geddit ?

Maybe the medium of this forum is not the best way of putting across our points. I'm sure after talking about it, my point would be clearer.

Anyway, leaving it there as I haven't got my flying pay and need to give that my attention !

ChezTanker
28th Apr 2006, 06:53
Agree with you on that ! JPA definately sux !

But still not feeling your train of thought Talking Radalt. Doesn't make a difference if something turns out to be deductable or not: the matter is between you and the taxman. In this instance it is tax deductable, but your individual circumstances need to meet certain criteria.

You contact IR, state your case, they say yes or no. A matter between you and the taxman. Geddit ?

Maybe the medium of this forum is not the best way of putting across our points. I'm sure after talking about it, my point would be clearer.

Anyway, leaving it there as I haven't got my flying pay and need to give that my attention !

Having tried this ploy before - you will find that the taxman says no. Taxman and Air Force have agreed several areas that are tax deductible but you are pushing it uphill - geddit.

BEagle
28th Apr 2006, 07:04
Do people really get their flying suits dry-cleaned these days?

I recall the old APC way - have shower in flying suit, use soap as you would normally. Then water only, then take flying suit off and have normal shower. Then hang flying suit up to drip dry in the sun. Jobsagoodun.

Oh - and take chinagraph pencil out of pocket first.....

Pontius Navigator
28th Apr 2006, 19:50
BEags, at what point in the above evolution did the bar feature?

Fly 5 hours, get hot sticky, get beers in get pissed hot and sticky then shower?

moosemaster
29th Apr 2006, 08:43
What about when we go in wearing blues?

There's no way of getting them done at work, is there?

Talking Radalt
29th Apr 2006, 09:29
Yes there is. You can get them done through the stores system, it's just not many people do nowadays.