PDA

View Full Version : Tilt Table test

Icus1
26th Apr 2006, 11:39
6 Months ago I fainted 04:00 in the morning going to the bathroom. Neurologist diagnosed it as micturition syncope.(Apparently quite common in men). EEG,MRI,24HR HOLTER normal. Class 1 medical currently unfit for 6 months.

Aviation medical guys still wants a "tilt table test". Anybody familiar with this? What should the result be to ensure favorable outcome towards my medical reinstatement. :(

BelfastChild
27th Apr 2006, 10:09
Tilt table testing looks for differences in erect and supine blood pressures. Basically, when you stand up, gravity naturally pulls your blood down to your feet. This means the amount of blood going through the heart drops, and your blood pressure drops. To prevent this from happening, certain reflexes are invoked to maintain the blood flow through your heart and your blood pressure. In some people, this reflex doesn't work properly and they can faint on standing up because of low blood pressure and hence decreased blood flow to the brain. Probably the most common cause is antihypertensives such as beta-blockers and diuretics. I presume you are on neither.

Anyway, the test is painless and I imagine it will show no abnormality.

Hope this helps

Icus1
27th Apr 2006, 12:10
Thanks for the info. Will have to take it as it comes!:ok: