View Full Version : Lu Zuckerman

mark_
25th Apr 2006, 21:11
Can anyone tell me the wherabouts of Mr. Zuckerman?

Regards,
Mark.

HeliEng
25th Apr 2006, 21:13
Mark,

Unfortunately Lu passed away a short time ago. If you use the search function I'm sure you will find the thread relating to it.

Regards

Helieng

PPRUNE FAN#1
25th Apr 2006, 21:16
Can anyone tell me the wherabouts of Mr. Zuckerman?Heh. Even God is not sure. (We think he snuck in.) But there is a certain helicopter manufacturer guy out in California who keeps feeling "something" on his shoulder all the time...an itch or something, and who feels like there's somebody looking at him even when he's the only one in the room.

mark_
25th Apr 2006, 21:32
Thanks, I thought that I had read that, but was afraid to come out and ask.

I would like to ask this though: Regarding Lu's thoughts on the Robinson rotor head design, how much merit is there to his claims, espcecially regarding his claims that the design should have never been approved.

I ask this with the most respect to Mr Luckerman, he was obviously very experienced and knowledgable.

Regards,
Mark.

Robbo Jock
25th Apr 2006, 22:33
If you use the search function and have several days (or weeks!) to spare, you'll find an inordinate amount of 'discussion' about Lu's claims, including (way way way back) Frank Robinson setting out his reasons for designing the head the way he did.

BlenderPilot
25th Apr 2006, 23:11
Well in regards as to if the R22 rotorhead should have been approved, I think you should ask the families of those who have died in mast bumping R22 accidents.

I don't see any Schweitzer's doing that same stunt, and they are being flown for the same money by the same pilot group.

Saludos a Lu Zuckerman wherever he is.

SASless
25th Apr 2006, 23:14
Blender....in the case of mast bumping....you might look to Bell products as well. They have killed more than a few folks over the years too. Robinson does not have a monopoly on that problem.

tecpilot
26th Apr 2006, 07:24
In the last years Lu was one of the most respected and most discussed fellows here. With a lot of background and a fighters heart we had a lot of interesting and hot discussions. I'm afraid this forum miss Lu more than we can see on the first view.

Bon voyage Lu!

TheMonk
26th Apr 2006, 13:10
I tried to search for "Lu Zuckerman", Lu, Zuckerman...etc. This thread is the only one that showed up.

Can someone give me a link to the last thread that Lu was participating in? Also what, when and how did he die?

Is someone else taking over his role as the Anti Robinson guy?

RIP Lu...

BTW no disrespect to Lu intended.

Da Monk

tecpilot
26th Apr 2006, 14:00
Check out this examples

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=182391&highlight=zuckerman

or

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=126350&highlight=zuckerman

I found 181 search results here (you have to go to "advanced search" and the option "any date") because the normal search give only the last months results and Lu passed away on July 16th 2005.

A sad day!

paco
27th Apr 2006, 00:15
Lu had Leukemia, and was quite cheerful up to the last. If you want to know what he looked like, he appeared as an expert witness on the Discovery program about the Transat Airbus that ran out of fuel near the azores.

He wasn't necessarily anti-Robinson. It's just that whenever "conventional wisdom" applies, there is always someone who can apply a well-aimed pinprick and question it - Lu was one of those guys. He sure wasn't one of the crowd.

Phil

13snoopy
27th Apr 2006, 06:06
If you use the search function and have several days (or weeks!) to spare, you'll find an inordinate amount of 'discussion' about Lu's claims, including (way way way back) Frank Robinson setting out his reasons for designing the head the way he did.
I have searched for the thread in which Frank Robinson posted re his rotor head design and can't find it. Can anyone here please find it and post the link to it? Thank you.
Snoopy

Robbo Jock
27th Apr 2006, 08:12
Try this:

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=20616

And spend the next week or so reading through. Page 10 has Frank's post.

(edited to add page number)

13snoopy
27th Apr 2006, 18:40
Try this:
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=20616
And spend the next week or so reading through. Page 10 has Frank's post.
(edited to add page number)
Thank you very much!

Graviman
27th Apr 2006, 21:44
My favourite exchange with Lu was this one:

http://www.pprune.org/forums/archive/index.php/t-177241.html

The guy earned a great deal of respect from me.

Mart

RW-1
21st Mar 2007, 14:29
As you guys would say "Bloody Hell, this is what I get for being away for so long!":{

Lou was fun to spar with, no matter how bad it seemed at the time.

Rest Easy Lou.

B Sousa
21st Mar 2007, 15:36
Lu Zuckerman (with one N) will never be gone, this thread is proof. I 'll bet hes laughing his ass off somewhere just reading this...........

Thomas coupling
21st Mar 2007, 17:09
Pprune you old bugger you! And a host of old names cropping up under Lou's monika!

God bless Lou.

Dave_Jackson
21st Mar 2007, 18:38
mark_; I would like to ask this though: Regarding Lu's thoughts on the Robinson rotor head design, how much merit is there to his claims, especially regarding his claims that the design should have never been approved.

A non-technical reply:

A Mr. Chuck Beaty is a technically competent individual who has been in the rotorcraft field for a long time. He too has questioned the soundness of applying delta3 to a main rotor.

This is not meant to imply that the Robinson head is good or bad. There are many styles that have been used and each has its pros and cons, plus its supporters and detractors.

It appears that the Kaman helicopters are the only other ones that use delta3 in their main rotor hubs.

IMHO, it is Kamans use of delta3, combined with the servo-flaps, that was responsible for creating the illusion that the Intermeshing configuration is a soft and slow one.

Dave J

MightyGem
23rd Mar 2007, 11:23
I tried to search for "Lu Zuckerman", Lu, Zuckerman...etc. This thread is the only one that showed up.

Did you use the Advanced Search? It gave me 20 pages worth of Lu.