PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Don't know what to do anymore!

tinusb
25th Apr 2006, 15:28
Hi all,

1st. Thankyou for taking the time to read this.

I hope that there is someone that can truely help me with my dilemma. I'm a commercial pilot for the past 4 years now and am upgrading to my ATPL. (South African and Namibian). I've attempted the exams (pass 75%) now 4 times, without luck of passing enough in order to carry it as credit towards the next exam. My next sitting is within the next 2 weeks (8th May).

I am desperate for help with this. Based in Windhoek, I don't have the luxury of a groundschool here. I don't know whether it's only bad luck or what, but it seems like the flying is the easy part. :ugh:

If anybody can help, I'd appreciate it very much!

Thanx!
Tinus
B190 First Officer with Air Namibia

Q4NVS
25th Apr 2006, 23:41
Depends a lot on the notes and obviously study methods..

I used Avex notes - great for Self Study!

For Flight Planning as well as Navigation Plotting, I do suggest you get hold of the ex FTC notes. Heard that the current CFA notes are also not that bad, but cannot vouch for that...

For ATG, study literally everything you can get your hands on, including "Handling the Big Jets".

Apart from the Notes, all you should need is AIC: Arse in Chair.

Sorry I could not help more, but I found it more than possible when you sit down, uninterrupted for 10+ hrs a day @ approximately 4-5 days per subject.
That however, will differ from individual to individual.

Good Luck anyway.
:ok:

Frogman1484
26th Apr 2006, 00:11
It has been a long time since I did my SA ATPL exams. When I did mine, I got hold of the papers from the CAA....sorry wrong answer!!!
Jokes apart I got hold some old Q&A papers and worked them flat out. My experiance was that at least 30% of the papers were actually repeated from old questions (not sure if that stands true now days).

Apart from that ...Study study study!!!

Good Luck

:} Frogman

newcrew
26th Apr 2006, 12:12
just to let you know i got thru all exams first time and i can assure you i am by no means bright + i also did WELL++++

I ALOS DID NOT ATTEND GROUNDSCHOOL FOR CPL, INSTRUTORS , ATPL ETC A COMPLETE WASTE OF TIME IF YOU ASK ME

ok only here is the stuff you need

study very very very very hard IE LOTS OF BUM ON CHAIR TIME

ALSO LOTS OF OLD EXAM PAPERS)AGAINST THE CLOCK!!!!!!!! )VNB THIS ONE + DO NOT WRITE THE EXAMS WITHOUT GOING THRU THE FTC QUESTIONS + THIS IS CRITICAL

THE NOTES U USE ARE NOT THAT CRITICAL AT THIS STAGE GOOD LUCK AND LET US KNOW HOW YOU GO

Papacharlysix
26th Apr 2006, 12:23
Hello There,
Maybe that chap crying for help may find this useful;
A lot in french but also very good pages in english, very useful
http://home.tiscali.be/comicstrip/
An online ATPL course
http://home.tiscali.be/comicstrip/PDF
All the best !
PC-6

MercenaryAli
29th Apr 2006, 14:52
. . . Tinusb wrote " I've attempted the exams (pass 75%) now 4 times, without luck of passing"
Luck my friend should not come into it! Either you are capable of passing the necessary exams to become an ATPL holder and thus qualify to become a Captain OR you are not. Now if you are not capable for whatever reason; and it would appear "your luck" is not with you - may I respectfully suggest a career change? I mean how would you like to be treated by a surgeon who passed his exams on his fifth or sixth attempt and then only by "luck"
:-)

south coast
29th Apr 2006, 15:21
go back to being a mercenary, ali...because you are crap at giving advice!

Desperate Wannabe
29th Apr 2006, 18:06
Damn straight South Coast, I'm with you on this one.

DW
Will fly for food.

Phenomenon
29th Apr 2006, 18:06
Now if you are not capable for whatever reason; and it would appear "your luck" is not with you - may I respectfully suggest a career change?

Ali,

With all due respect, you don't know what you're talking about.

Let's look at doctors for example... sure it's alot more work, but you have continous classes for how many years and then you get your degree by having to pass exams with a 50%???

And believe me that I'm not breaking down doctors in any way, but the fact is, you don't get experienced by studying theory... True experience and ability comes through practice!

The other thing as well, if you take into account how old the South African database is for CPL and ATP exams... most of the stuff are so out of date that we don't even use most of the stuff in practise anymore. Plotting being a fine example! I don't know about you but I myself have never and I'm sure will never plot to find my position... GPS and VOR and all those nice accessories work so much better!

It's a fact that some people just struggle more than others to get theoretical knowledge into their heads, but that in no way makes them worse pilots than others!

Tinus... don't lose hope buddy! Like the others said... arse in chair will get you there! And screw anyone who tells you differently. And in a couple of years you're going to look back and laugh at how you struggled to get these subjects!

There's an old saying going around: "We are all dumb, but we study hard!" :}

Good luck buddy! :ok:

vaninnam
3rd May 2006, 14:31
see i told you south coast is always right,stick to the mercenary stuff Ali.
go for it tinus

Stayinalive
3rd May 2006, 17:28
Ali...my advice to you...
Become a boxer and hopefully you get the s%@t knocked out of you. Luck in passing these archaic and outdated exams plays a major role...
The man is asking for advice and u tell him to think about a career change. Typical of the attitude of a few Prima Donnas in these rooms that thing they are GODS gift to aviation...people like you should take a step outside....
Just because u probably passed 1st time and most likely had yur flying paid 4 u....doesnt mean that u are up with the best in the business....

4HolerPoler
3rd May 2006, 17:49
Chill guys. If you want to have a slanging match do it by email or PM; the great majority of us have no interest in your personal differences. Back to the topic please..........- hey, I just saw the topic :} What the hell, do what you want, but no blood please.

4HP

jimmythegong
3rd May 2006, 18:04
Damn straight South Coast, I'm with you on this one.
DW
Will fly for food. OR BEER!:ok:

SIC
4th May 2006, 09:29
ITS VERY SIMPLE. GET ALL THE SAMPLE QUESTIONS YOU CAN FROM ALL THE DIFFERENT BOOKS AVAILABLE (AERONAV,FTC,AVEX,ETC ETC) AND STUDY THOSE TILL YOU KNOW THEM 100%

I PERSONALLY GUARANTEE YOU WILL PASS OR I WILL EAT MY HEADSET.

AfricanSkies
4th May 2006, 12:55
That should be good! Is it a David Clarke?!? I bet the gel bits will take a bit of swallowing:}

Stayinalive
4th May 2006, 18:14
4Holer...my apologies....
Not meant 2 b a slanging match.....just the fact that someone who is struggling the way we all did is honest enough publicy to say HELP....Please!! He even identified himself to the fact that he is a co jo with Air Nam. What do some of us do...???? Tell him to change careers. CUMMON. Help the kid...sorry that Ali has a different attitude on this.I just find so many times that the aviation community here in SA is so quick to slang people that have an unfortunate set of circumstances...till it turns around on them....We are only human....we all are vunerable at times..not protected by the altitude we fly at or the SOP's that protect us...or the equipment that keeps our asses protected ...we are a number..thats all.
We all read about each other in here when some of us are unfortunately no longer here....In life ..he was great,,,,but hey he cocked up....heeee heeee

joshuaw
5th May 2006, 12:46
:ok: Hi Tinub

I am also writing the last 3 on May 8, 9 & 10, will give you what I have been able to collect and I also tried to contact you by mobile but being in the middle of Africa does not help much though. Will keep an eye out for you at "SACAA".

Regards.

This is just to say thanks to all the guys that were able and actually helped me.

tinusb
5th May 2006, 12:57
:ok: Hi Tinub

I am also writing the last 3 on May 8, 9 & 10, will give you what I have been able to collect and I also tried to contact you by mobile but being in the middle of Africa does not help much though. Will keep an eye out for you at "SACAA".

Regards.

This is just to say thanks to all the guys that were able and actually helped me.

Hey Josh!

Thanx for the sms! Got it - replied, but it didn't go through. Not writing at CAA, but at DCA in Windhoek - don't have the $$$ to travel down (yeah, even with ID100! Exam fees ate everything now).

To the others. Yip, it's true. Hard study - no doubt about it. Missing with 1 or 2% IS LUCK. Not knowing your work is getting 65% or less... but that's only my 2c. :confused:

Anyway, will let you guys know how it went.

Cheers
Tinus

PS. Thanx Stayin.