PDA

View Full Version : Best Way To Get into the RAF

jimmy6363
25th Apr 2006, 14:25
Hi, im 18 and just waiting for my exams to be over at college so i can apply for officer and then pilot training in the RAF. Ive got loads of leaflets sent to me explaining about the aptitude tests and things, and i think i can get through them OK.
However, im worried about the interview part where they ask you about the RAF itself and current affairs (mainly the RAF questions) as i don't really know much at present. So how can i have the best chance of getting through this and passing, for exmaple what books are good to read and where can i get them? What sort of questions are they likly to ask and how can i best prepare!
Any help would be great,
Thanks, Jim

hobbit1983
25th Apr 2006, 15:57
You'll probably get a better response if you post in the Mil aircrew forum; however I would strongly advise you to do a search first, as your questions have been asked many times before!

Also, it's worth checking out the forum on www.aircadetcentral.net as they many potential RAF entrants asking much the same there.

Hope this helps

SJG1
25th Apr 2006, 16:23
Go and speak to your local RAF careers office. They should provide you will all the information you need including the role of the RAF, bases around the world and why they are there, types of aircraft and role, the structure of the RAF etc.
In relation to current affairs, make sure you read or start reading a good quality daily newspaper and watch current affairs on TV which often give you a bigger picture of topical news items.
PM me if you need any further help. I have some experience of the selection!

Han 1st Solo
25th Apr 2006, 16:24
If I were you i'd join your local air cadets and maybe have a few flying lessons before you go down to Cranwell for selection. As regards the RAF info the above post is good advice and a visit to your local careers office should provide you with much of the info you'll need. As for current affairs suggest the sunday times thats what the recruitment guys recommended to me when I went along that route.

Hope this helps,

Han.

Whopity
26th Apr 2006, 18:36
Some years ago I trained as an RAF selection officer, perhaps the best course I have ever done. The interviewers are trained to grade students, not select them. The interviews are conducted by two interviewers who take it in turns to run the interview, whilst the other takes notes. The first will ask you to describe your life to the present day in chronological order and in some detail, they will want to know what you have done, how well you have done it, and in about 20 minutes will know virtualy everything about you. The second interviewer will probably appear less friendly, he will ask you why you want to join the RAF, and ask you questions that will question your motivation and sincerity. Overall, they are trying to find out what makes you tick and whether or not they would wish to share an aeroplane with you, or live in close proximity with you for long periods of time. You must be honnest or it will soon show, If you don't know things, say so, don't bull****. By all means gain some knowledge of the RAF, where they are based, what they do etc but any last minute cramming will show. You will be asked if you would join the RAF in any other trade if you were not selected as a pilot; they want to know if you want to join the RAF, to be an officer or just be a pilot.

If you get through the medical, aptitude tests and the initial interview, you go on to do practical exercises and problem solving that shows your ability to reason, to lead others, and most importantly to work with and under others.

At the end of the selection procedure you are graded. Whether you are selected or not then depends upon how many people they need and how many they have in the higher grades. You then either get a letter of selection with an offer; a rejection with perhaps the suggestion of coming back for another go, that usually indicates you have made a reasonable grade; or a flat rejection.

The best ploy is to be totally honest and enjoy it, it would be a terrible shame to be rejected for trying to create an impression that they don't want to see. Believe me, they will know more about you than you do by the end of the selection procedure and they know what they are looking for.