PDA

View Full Version : Ouch!

tallulah1978
25th Apr 2006, 09:34
Oh I don't know what to do! Well, I have no choice.

On Sunday went on 13 mile mountain bike ride. 1 mile before end came off rather spectacularly onto some rocks. Excrutiatingly painful. Have grit in palms of hands (like when child - god it hurts!) grazes and bruising everywhere but main injury is that right knee is double it's size and has two large egg sized swellings either side. Kept it R.I.C.E'd yesterday as supposed to returning to do early flight today.

Am already on 12 days off sick due to a car accident and back injury done whilst operating as crew. Only had last meeting last week and was told then only one more occurance of sickness and I was in bother.

But this morning cannot stand as is so painful - feels like all fluid is running to knee and there is so much pressure and burning. shooting pains from knee to hip bone and ankle. Bruised, swollen and a funny shape. Impossible to try and get down the stairs let alone run a galley on a 737.

Going to docs at 4.40 today - wish me luck that nothing serious and quick and speedy return to work - that is if I still have a job.

I cannot believe this has happened. How stupid. Sad face today.:(

Hawk
25th Apr 2006, 10:06
Heavens Tallulah! You've certainly been in the wars. Let us know what the doctor says about your knee. :eek:

Loose rivets
25th Apr 2006, 14:58
Just get the knee right, you can sort your career/life out later. It really sounds as though it is going to take some time and should not be hurried.

The ligament on the inside of the knee is the most vulnerable and is sometimes forced out of place...as well as becoming inflamed. The way it are held ‘on track' is complex and you need to know that is in the right place before any attempt is made to start exercise or even physiotherapy. (Given that you may need some help to get it right in the first place.)

It's not just the job, you have to consider how would you fare in the midst of a major emergency of course.

Pub User
25th Apr 2006, 21:40
Only had last meeting last week and was told then only one more occurance of sickness and I was in bother.

Do you have a union?

BOAC
26th Apr 2006, 08:25
If you are on 'three hits and you are out', maybe "back injury done whilst operating as crew" can be struck off the tally as it occurred on duty?

tallulah1978
26th Apr 2006, 10:27
Well, I have my diagnosis. Kind of. I have given my quadraplex(?) muscle a nasty whack - the swelling has not gone down as yet. I have been given inflammatories and pain killers and signed off work for a week. He doesn't think it's a fracture, but is not ruling it out. If the swelling has not gone down in the next 24 hours I have to go for xrays. Bum.

He said 1/2 an inch down and I would have done serious damage to my knee cap, so I got off lightly.

SO here I am sat on my backside for a whoel week, feeling decidedly spaced out on this pills. hmmmm. Concerns about work seem less important - but again, maybe that's the pills!

Unfortunately we don't have a union. My Base Co-ordinator has been absoutely brilliant - she even tried to get my sickness following a car accident disregarded and is ccurrently looking at my injury which occured on board. Incidentally the pills I have for my knee are helping with that too! :bored:

I sound like a such a wreck - I am fit and otherwise healthy 28 year old woman and I can't go to work to do the job I love! I've only been laid up for two days and boyf is already losing patience. He works from home and has been running around for me - I think it was my suggestion of getting a bell that sent him over the edge.........funny, he went out very early this morning to a different city and said he didn't know when he would be back but it would definitely be after 6pm. Hmmmmmm. You'd think he didn't want to mope around with me.

Well - no doubt my attendance on this site will soar over the next 7 days so see you guys around!