View Full Version : Aircraft Piston Engine???

AeroTech
25th Apr 2006, 05:53
Hi,

I have no idea about aircraft piston engine (single or multi- engines) and its systems. It will be nice if I can get some information regarding this subject especially concerning my questions:

-Are aircraft piston engine fitted with supercharger or turbocharger? (it will be great if you can mention the types of supercharger/turbocharger used in these aircraft).

-I would like more information about turbo-compound engines. Are they installed on recent aircraft?

-I would like also an idea about the hydraulic & electric system, and also the flight controls in this type of aircraft.

-If the engine fails in flight, is there a standby power (electric & hydraulic) to maintain the control of the aircraft. Same question for multi-engines in case of all engines flame-out or failure? (if it is possible in these engines)

Feedback very appreciated. Thank you.
Best regards.

barit1
25th Apr 2006, 15:31
Q1 - yes to everything.

Q2 - The Wright R3350 was the last turbo-compound I know of, and it has been out of production for 50 years.

Q3 - In concept, not unlike present jets.

Q4 - Manual reversion handled the no-hydraulics case. It often took four hands and four feet. :cool:

pionairtech
25th Apr 2006, 21:59
Q1- yes, piston engine aircraft come normaly aspirated(carb), fuel injected, both may be fited with a supercharger, turbo or both
q2 no idea
q3 depends on size. A cessna 172 has cable flight control system and hydraulic brakes through to a DC4 which has hydraulic boosted flight controls, flaps undercarraige etc,
q4 as above:ok: