PDA

View Full Version : PNG OPERATORS; WHAT DO THEY REALLY WANT?

WTSPT
25th Apr 2006, 05:48
Hi all,

Have read many of the threads on PNG, and for me it sounds like a place that I want to do some time in. :uhoh: The type of flying you get to do certainly is unique to any other place in the world and the experience you receive from working in this environment seems invaluable.

I wanted to find out a bit more information from the guys who have been there and done that, :hmm: as to what type of qualifications, hours and type of flying you would want to have before even attempting to make the move.

I am aware of the obvious; IFR, some twin time and remote flying experience, would be favoured for employment. But I'm essentially more interested in the amount of time and sort flying you would want to expose yourself to, to get some idea of how to deal with conditions and work load (that doesn't mean duty time :} Im more wanting to know about the dark and stormies that frequently roll in, the high terrain throughout country and the difficulties in trying to get from A to B etc) that exist in PNG.

In addition to this what are the living conditions like, and could anyone provide me some contacts to any operator who may have some time to talk (that is if any exist :rolleyes: ), to give me a more in depth insight into life at PNG.

Any comments from those who are there or have done their stint would be greatly appreciated.:ok:

Cheers,

WTSPT.:E

Metro man
25th Apr 2006, 06:47
To get a job in PNG, you need previous PNG time. That is the first question an operator will ask you. There is alot of info available if you do a search, it may also cause you to reconsider depending on how highly you value your life :uhoh:

OzExpat
25th Apr 2006, 07:55
I think that Metro man has pretty much said it all. One of the reasons why previous PNG flying experience is necessary is to satisfy specific client contract requirements which require both captain and first officer to have bags of PNG flying experience. The larger operators have these contracts.

You might get a look in with one of the smaller companies if you have a serious amount of turbine time.

Captain Nomad
25th Apr 2006, 07:59
From someone who is actually working there now - check your PM's mate :ok:

WTSPT
27th Apr 2006, 07:21
Captain Nomad thanks for your help,

I've PM'd you some more questions.

WTSPT :ok:

captain_cranky
27th Apr 2006, 11:43
For Douglas Aviation, a bottle of Scotch as you go through duty free:}
Nurse! Nurse! My pills! Its back for me:eek: