PDA

View Full Version : FAA conversion

ovum
25th Apr 2006, 05:38
Hey all

Just looking for some advice/guidance/info in converting an Aust CPL/CIR etc to FAA equivalents please? Not working rights or anything...assuming that's taken care of.

I've DONE a search and from everything I've read I can't seem to find an Aussie pilot who's actually done it! I've also sent a couple of PM's to people already, so if you're one of those who's talked about it before, please check your PM's :8

There isn't that much info on faa.gov either...

If there's anyone out there who's gone through the process and knows there to begin and what's involved, if you could please let me know. Either here or PM.

Cheers

ovum

Sheepdog
25th Apr 2006, 12:22
I have just gone through the process.

Basically its 14 exams and a flight test . A few ifs or buts, this is if you have 500hrs multi crew and a endorsement on a multi crew aircraft.

There are no exemptions except if you have heavy time with transport flights over eu airspace.

Its has nothing to do with safety just to do with keeping foreign piots out of the EU.

All the best

Tinstaafl
25th Apr 2006, 16:28
The question was about converting to an FAA ie American licence, not JAA.

You'll need to ensure you meet the min hours requirements for the US commercial certificate. They're specified in the FARs, available online via the FAA's website. Look in Part 61.xxx. That's the section that deals with certificates.

You'll also need to do a Class 1 or 2 medical. There's loads of Drs in the US who can do them. Quick & simple & ~US$80.00 - 100.00 or so.

Pass the Commercial theory exam. It's a single exam, multi-choice. Easy to do using one of the commercially available exam prep books eg from Gleim, ASA or Jeppesen.

Pass a Commercial checkride. It has a few manoeuvres not done in the Oz licence. All items for the checkride are specified in the Practical Test Standard for the Commercial Certificate. Also available from Gleim, ASA, Jepp. et. al.

Pass the Instrument rating exam. Ditto exam prep from Gleim et. al

Pass the Instrument checkride. Ditto PTS from Gleim et al.

A shortcut if you have the hours is to go straight to the FAA ATP. Still the standard single exam + checkride however the ATP includes integral instrument rating privileges. You also get to avoid the FAA's unique CPL flight test manoeuvres.

NOTE: The US considers each category & class of aircraft to be a separate licence eg Single engine land, Single engine Sea, Multi engine land, Multi engine sea, rotorcraft etc. That means, for example, two flight tests/checkrides to get multi engine land *and* single engine land.

Again there are slight shortcuts. PPL & CPL have 'add on' specifications in the PTS so going from SEL to MEL, for example, doesn't mean you have to do every item in the CPL PTS - just those specified for the add on. ATP doesn't so it's the full test. No big deal. The ATP is just like an instrument rating test.

If you do it in something like an amphibian (and do both water & land take-offs/landings) you can get both land & sea in the one test for whatever licence you're trying for eg SEL + SES in one hit.

I had an ATP MEL that I did years ago while passing through the US from my Oz ATPL. When I moved here met the recurrency requirements by doing a combined ATP SEL & SES. Could have just done a BFR/instrument proficiency check but wanted singles on my US licence anyway.

ovum
25th Apr 2006, 23:13
Thanks Tinstaafl, please check your PM's

Cheers

globallocal
26th Apr 2006, 02:22
Going through the process right now. Don't forget your TSA finger prints and an approved training course with a school who know your coming. The school wont or can't start trg until approval from the TSA after they make sure you're not a tourist ( sorry terrorist). Also don't forget you can't transfer types over from your forign Lic. you have to do individual rattings all over again. Hope it helps.