PDA

View Full Version : ANZAC Day

Woomera
25th Apr 2006, 03:53
http://www.ronanos.com/images/flags/mini/australia_flag.gif http://www.sunsealspas.com.au/images/New_Zealand_Flag.gif

They went with songs to the battle, they were young,
Straight of limb, true of eye, steady and aglow.
They were staunch to the end against odds uncounted,
They fell with their faces to the foe.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old;
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.

(L. Binyon 'For the Fallen')

With acknowledgement to Hawk from another thread and acknowledgement and thanks to my Father and Grand Father that I live in the Land of the Free!

Sunny Woomera

Pseudonymn
25th Apr 2006, 03:55
Lest We Forget.

Led Zep
25th Apr 2006, 04:05
A big thanks to all our servicemen and women, past and present.
:)

empacher48
25th Apr 2006, 04:12
For such a huge debt we owe all our Service Men and Women who have served both countries through all conflicts, past and present. To have one day when we all stop and remember them, seems to be an insignificant thing in comparison to what they have done.

Every day we have been able to live in peace and freedom, is what they gave themselves for. For that, I am truely thankful and I will remember them. We all have a huge debt to pay them.

Scurvy.D.Dog
25th Apr 2006, 04:54
Indeed! ... Lest we forget!

tobzalp
25th Apr 2006, 05:22
Absolutely glorious day in Brisbane today. I thank all those guys for my ability to be free and enjoy it as an Australian.

maxgrad
25th Apr 2006, 05:24
Thanks Dad and Pa
Lest we forget

Ultralights
25th Apr 2006, 07:45
Thank you grand dad! if only i could warm the seat in your Spittie for you...

Lest we forget.

And Then
25th Apr 2006, 07:57
Dad and Grandad.Thanks for not getting shot and don't drink too much this afternoon. The most meaningful of days, today. Lest We Forget.

The Voice
25th Apr 2006, 08:21
Lest we forget.

May those off shore return home safely.

Woomera
25th Apr 2006, 09:32
Lest We Forget.

My RAAF (Lancaster) father is still alive, 81 and just celebrated their 60th Wedding Anniversary and enjoying the first of the great grandchildren.

A Great Uncle rests at Gallipoli to never see his great great descendants.

Woomera

clear to land
25th Apr 2006, 10:06
Here in the sandpit about 350 turned up. Not a bad effort considering. Run by the Kiwi High Comm, with the Aus Ambassador and a contingent from HMAS Ballarat. Keep the spirit alive!!:)

Disco Stu
25th Apr 2006, 10:49
"The soldier is not a man of violence.

He carries arms and risks his life
for mistakes not of his making.

He has the merit of being unflinchingly true to his word to the end,
while knowing that he will be forgotten."

Antoine de SAINT EXUPERY

I don't forget

Disco Stu
Par Oneri de Caelo

Hottie
25th Apr 2006, 10:58
Certainly a day to remember for eternity.
Looking for fellow Aussies and Kiwis to share this day with, but being in London at present makes it a little hard.
For all mates back home, please have one for me !
In the meantime, I'll sip on a beer and pay my respects, albeit alone, in rememberence for all before us, who fought for us :ok:

LEST WE FORGET

Hugh Jarse
25th Apr 2006, 11:06
My dad would have been 82. He enlisted underage at 16, as many young men of his time did (by changing his name and forging parent's signatures). He saw service mainly in New Guinea as well as the Middle East, Moratai, Borneo etc. Eventually he ended up in Hiroshima from 46 to 47 and became a member of the infamous "Kure Millionaires":E

It took him over 50 years to be able to even talk about that part of his life. Those of you with parents that went through WW2 (and the demons that came with it) will know what I'm writing about.

He spent most of his life trying to come to terms with his demons.

About 2 months before he died, dad came over for a barbie with a box full of fairly graphic photo's (and stories to match). Fortunately, we were able to put most of it together, mainly to pass onto the next generation of our family to remember......

Dad had been selected for an interview on ABC's Australian Story in relation to his time in New Guinea and Japan, but had to cancel twice due to illness. We were all pretty excited that somebody actually wanted to record what he had to say, and we looked forward to finding out a bit more about his mysterious past. Sadly, dad succumbed to his illness shortly after.

Thanks dad for doing your bit for Australia. Words can't describe the pride we feel.

Nope...We'll never forget.

Taildragger67
25th Apr 2006, 12:23
Lest We Forget.
A Great Uncle rests at Gallipoli to never see his great great descendants.
Woomera

Mate I thank your relative and all those who served, for what I enjoy today.

But go to Gallipoli - you'll see that whilst your great uncle may not have seen his descendants, they travel in numbers to see where he fought and fell. They are certainly not forgotten.

Was at the wreath-laying at St Paul's Cathedral this morning; the Turkish Ambassador read out Ataturk's 1934 speech. Just as moving as reading it on the monument at Anzac Cove.

As Peter Garrett sang, "These should not be forgotten years... we will remember".

TD

ps. thanks for starting this thread.

Blown Seal
25th Apr 2006, 18:22
We Shall Remember Them...

Lest We Forget.

Aussie
26th Apr 2006, 00:24
What a turn out for the march in the city!

Good effort from the entire defence force, past and present.

Lest we forget.

Aussie

Old 'Un
26th Apr 2006, 01:37
I, along with many, many others, stood in the rain in Christchurch yesterday for the Dawn Service. I got drenched - so did my daughter, standing beside me - but we agreed that it was an honour to be there.

As a long-time reader of but first time contributer to these forums, I believe that this thread epitomises the freedoms our parents/grandparents/etc. fought for and died defending, so that we may have freedom of choice.

The following is displayed as a poster on my office wall. I do not know its origins, but like quotes above in this thread, I offer it as a tribute, not only to the ANZACs from all conflicts, but to ALL armed forces members who have served, are serving and will serve in the future to defend these freedoms.

FREEDOM

It is the soldier not the reporter,
who has given us freedom of the press.
It is the soldier not the poet,
who has given us freedom of speech.
It is the soldier not the union organiser,
who has given us freedom to demonstrate.
It is the soldier who salutes the flag,
who serves beneath the flag and,
whose coffin is draped by the flag,
who allows the protester to burn the flag.

LEST WE FORGET

So much of what we enjoy today we owe to those we remember and honour on ANZAC Day. Thank you, Woomera, for originating this thread.

Le Vieux

Bad medicine
26th Apr 2006, 02:42
Beat me to it, Old 'un.

Lest we forget

ZK-NSJ
26th Apr 2006, 08:43
"for your tomorrow, we gave our today"

Pinky the pilot
26th Apr 2006, 10:23
39814. Baum; Ronald Wilhelm. Sgt Pilot 461 Sqn RAAF.
Passed away 14 years ago.

He was my Dad, and I miss him.

RiskyRossco
26th Apr 2006, 10:42
445670. S/Sgt. McArthur, L.D. 7RNZIR, 17th NZ Field, J-Force.
He was my Dad. Gone six years.

NoseGear
26th Apr 2006, 12:29
No other day puts such a lump in my throat when I think of the sacrifice they made for us to live in freedom.

To my Grandad, British 8th Army, and every other serviceman and woman, God bless you, Rest in Peace, you are not forgotten.

Nosey

sarboy w****r
26th Apr 2006, 17:45
Was immensely proud to have been involved in the flypast for the Dawn Service here in Afghanistan by Australian Army and Royal Air Force CH47s. Looked bloody awesome, so I'm told... We on ops overseas have not forgotten those who went before us.

wessex19
27th Apr 2006, 04:11
On a lighter note, anyone get a win on two-up???:ouch:

Agony
27th Apr 2006, 07:10
Best day I have ever had, finished a green one up !

Would have paid much more to bottle up the atmosphere and keep it forever.......

In this crazy world we are in this day means more and more every year.

Proud to be a part of it.:ok:

bentwings
27th Apr 2006, 10:30
Reunion held weekend 22/23 April 2006. Stone unveiled at memorial site on highway opposite Uranquinty NSW pub by Max Foley and John Blair.
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h89/Uranquinty/fea1e2dc.jpg
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h89/Uranquinty/memorial_service_r.jpg

Gary Parata
27th Apr 2006, 14:53
Hill of Infamy

Light show cast surreal glow,
Sea front still, as warm tears flow,
Unchecked; I leave them be,
For on ANZAC Cove I discover me.

Tears anoint the sacred ground,
Self-conscious now I look around,
Through hazy eyes and gloom I see,
That others cry, not just me.

From ANZAC Cove I start to walk,
Possessed of mind, bereft of talk,
Toward a hill of infamy
Of untold pain, of loss, I see.

I pause a moment at Lone Pine,
The Diggers there lie for all time,
Lost wave by wave; it was insane,
For what; some lame-brained plan our bane.

I stand atop the blood soaked fill,
Of Chunuk Bair; that bastard hill,
‘Twas briefly won, but at what cost?
I’ll tell you: a generation of Wellingtons lost.

In one mass grave the hundreds lie,
One August night they came to die,
No dreams to see the world fulfilled,
Just oblivion; and families willed.

This land we came to habitate,
Was not ours to infiltrate,
But order from afar decides,
The fate of all those that died.

First Sea Lord, with blank face,
Resigns in shame and stark disgrace
Then absolved of blame he quickens pace
To another war, and a greater race

For him no pain, no empty shell,
No memories of fiery hell,
Churchillian values? time will tell
Whether all this was actually worth it.

Was not just ANZAC suffered most,
Gone, the cream of Turkish youth,
Land and country, vow to protect,
And that they did, with no regret.

The words of Ataturk ring true,
They comfort me, they should do you,
Boundless compassion, holding firm,
(I would have liked to have known him.)

Turk and ANZAC, hand in hand
Together now, warm in this land
For us no fear, no stark regret
Firm friends now, lest we forget

Light show cast surreal glow
Sea front still, as warm tears flow,
Unchecked; I leave them be
At Gallipoli I discover me.

Gary Parata (New Zealand)

Gallipoli, April 25, 2006

NoseGear
28th Apr 2006, 01:27
Beautiful Gary. All those hours next to you in the Saab, I never knew you were such a poet.

Cheers

Nosey

gaunty
28th Apr 2006, 01:51
As pilots we probably see more country towns than most, and it is in the town square or main street that you will see the most prominent landmark.

A memorial to those who gave their lives in the Boer, Great, WW2, Korea and Vietnam wars.

In these small tight knit communities the loss is even more poignant and has a much greater impact.

It's a bit harder to see in the big cities but it is there if you look.

This is where our Australain character and values were forged, hardened and ultimately tempered by the uniquely demanding stripped down Australian landscape.

It is like no other, as Australians are like no others.

27/09
28th Apr 2006, 02:22
Gary,

Very moving, very appropriate, well written!

Chronic Snoozer
30th Apr 2006, 07:22
I just got back from the Service at Anzac Cove and Lone Pine. I'd like to share some pictures if someone can host them.

It has all been said before, and eloquently, therefore I simply want to say that if you ever have the means, please visit this historic area and absorb atmosphere. It is impossible not to be moved by the sacrifice made by a generation of Australians and New Zealanders.

bentwings
30th Apr 2006, 07:49
Snoozer,
You can put them up on Photobucket.com for free.

the wizard of auz
30th Apr 2006, 08:44
I attended the dawn service here in the bush, then had to leave to depart on a job at sun up. I flew a slow flypast for the gathered group and they all reckon it was a nice gesture. It is really really hard to pull off a convincing missing man formation by yourself though. :} :ooh:
I told them it was several fly pasts in one. echelon lead arrow, line astern and missing man all in one......... the old fellows cackled like they had to much to drink. It was my pleasure to give them a smile on this somber day. :)

pakeha-boy
1st May 2006, 01:24
Ces Taggert,New Zealand 2nd Infantry Battalion,Hastings RSA,..my uncle and a fine man,he came home ,his brother,same Battalion,buried in Mensahib...I will never forget

Hugh Jarse
1st May 2006, 02:39
Dad (right) in Sydney early 1941 going to sign up. Just turned 16.
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i6/HugeArse/File0049.jpg

Japs surrendering to my dad's unit. Borneo 1945
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i6/HugeArse/File0045.jpg

Enroute Morotai-Japan 1946 Dunno where he got the beer from:} :8
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i6/HugeArse/File0050.jpg

Taken at Miya Jima (his spelling) 21-3-46 A lot older and wiser since the first photo....:E
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i6/HugeArse/File0047.jpg

These are but a few of hundreds he took during his career. Some are too graphic to put up here. Needless to say, he took his camera everywhere...

Gnadenburg
1st May 2006, 04:19
HJ

Was your Dad aware of the death marches on Borneo at the time of the Jap's surrender?

Didn't the RAAF run a sly grog outfit into Borneo & surrounds? Maybe that was where the beer was from!

Hugh Jarse
1st May 2006, 05:42
Gnads, I know he used to brew Jungle Juice (TM) in New Guinea as well as raid the yanks stores. They made sport of that:8 :}

Yes he was well aware of the Borneo marches. I've got many of photos of his time in Balikpapan and Morotai.

Torres
1st May 2006, 06:23
FULTON, Robert A, Service No: H1415. CPO ERA RAN HMAS "Swan" November 1940 to November 1945.

Father embarked on his last voyage August 28 1984. It still hurts........

FULTON, Robert R, Service No: S/5967. Sergeant Gordon Highlanders. KIA September 25, 1915. Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial. Forever on the fields of Flanders.

Torres
1st May 2006, 06:42
Jarse. Three or four decades ago whilst wandering around the very overgrown “Blamey’s Retreat”, under Hombrom Bluff north of Port Moresby, I came upon a number of rusted out 44 gal drums with copper coil intact. Father tells me the usual recipe for the diggers was the then Army issue compressed fruit bars, sugar and water and allow the tropical heat to cause fermentation prior to distilling off with a fire under the drum. Made overproof booze that would make one crazy.

Father didn’t need that – plenty of booze in the RAN. Indeed, they used to trade it with the Yanks for ice cream, frozen strawberries etc., as the Yank ships were “dry”.

On one occasion, immediately prior to the departure of HMAS Swan from Port Moresby the ship’s booze stocks were running low. A few of the matlots filled empty spirit bottles in the ship’s heads, rapidly traded luxuries with the Yanks and beat a hasty retreat on their departing ship!

:} :} :}

ANZAC Day is also a time to remember those mates still with us, Wing Commander "Bobby" Gibbes DSO, DFC and Bar, frail but still with us and his larrikin mate Group Captain Brian "Blackjack" Walker DSO who fell off his bar stool for the last time a few years ago now. I treasure the memories of our many years together in Papua New Guinea.

Sad to say, another (sometimes!) mate from days of old in Papua New Guinea, Colonel Harry "The One Arm Bandit" Green passed away during the year.

BGQ
1st May 2006, 10:21
Just a small question off topic but how did you guys get the images into your posts ?

Gary Parata that is beautiful ..... it should be published !! Is it original ?

Hugh Jarse
1st May 2006, 10:29
BGQ, I've just found Photobucket, which does free photo hosting. That's where mine are:ok:

Chronic Snoozer
1st May 2006, 20:12
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j292/ChronicSnoozer/image158.jpg
Dawn service at North Beach
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j292/ChronicSnoozer/7950037b.jpg
Last post
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j292/ChronicSnoozer/image161.jpg
Reveille
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j292/ChronicSnoozer/image166.jpg
The Sphinx at dawn
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j292/ChronicSnoozer/4d204951.jpg
The cove waters