PDA

View Full Version : Anyone applied for Qantas in UK?

EZYJET2006
24th Apr 2006, 13:21
Hey ive just been told that my application is currently being processed, anyone got an idea of what is to come next and how long this may take?

If i am 18 and no exp in cabin crew anyone know if this will affect my chances?? Are new recruits ever put on long haul

cheers

EI-CFC
24th Apr 2006, 13:42
Are new recruits ever put on long haul

Well, QF don't have any short-haul operating out of the UK..

EZYJET2006
24th Apr 2006, 13:47
so they dont worry that you wont be able to cope on longer flights. I would prefer to do long haul anyway

keeperboy
24th Apr 2006, 18:39
Have a look at the 'Qantas discussions' thread.

Would you really want to work for em with peeps like that?

Plain scary me thinks....:uhoh:

EZYJET2006
24th Apr 2006, 19:55
Have a look at the 'Qantas discussions' thread.

Would you really want to work for em with peeps like that?

Plain scary me thinks....:uhoh:

why what are they like? it seems like a good long haul company to work for, one of the longest running!

thanks for reply btw

Eddy
24th Apr 2006, 20:25
why what are they like?
Again, go and look at the lengthy and comprehensive thread that exists about UK based QF crew. It's very, very informative.

Basically, you'll fly to SIN and HKG (do QF fly to BKK from the UK??) for two night slips (five day trip).

I was chatting to some UK-based QF crew the other week in SIN (Insomnia baby!!!) and though fairly happy in thier jobs, they mentioned that perhaps the money isn't the best. I really don't know as I haven't read the QF thread - go have a look though.

apaddyinuk
24th Apr 2006, 22:00
And if you decide not to read the thread...Just bere in mind that working for Qantas in the UK is NOT working for the Qantas as it is in Oz!!!

ozskipper
25th Apr 2006, 14:39
Actually, the base isn't too bad at all.

The discussions that the other posters speak of mostly relate to the industrial issues in Australia and not in the UK.

I might add that they do not represent ALL the crew in Qantas nor do posters from other airlines represent everyone in their respective airlines. Something to remember perhaps :)

The pay is about standard for UK based airlines and there are three long haul ports (BKK, SIN, HKG) plus we also do some summer charter flights which are short haul.

Feel free to pvt message me if you want more info - we don't all bite, in fact 99% of us are very nice.

Eddy
25th Apr 2006, 15:32
Feel free to pvt message me if you want more info - we don't all bite, in fact 99% of us are very nice.

Or why not just post any further questions AND responses here so we can all benefit?!?!

EZYJET2006
25th Apr 2006, 15:52
Eddy who do you work for?

ozskipper
25th Apr 2006, 21:52
Or why not just post any further questions AND responses here so we can all benefit?!?!

To be honest, I feel there is little point - either I get a keyboard full of abuse or tarred and feathered.

Further to that - these discussions are now in the domain of D&G, so I'm keeping my responses short.

So no offence but I'd prefer to answer QF UK questions mostly via pvt msg.

QFboi_MEL
26th Apr 2006, 11:20
Ezyjet 2006.. All i can say is, if you really want to work for QFUK GO FOR IT!!! I have friends that are over there at the moment and they are loving every moment of it.

I've applied to go to QFUK with the next lot of OZ crew that are going over on LWP.

Is anyone in here existing Oz based CC that are over in the LHR base on LWP?
if so please share your expierences as to what it was like when you first got to LHR and if it was easy finding somewhere to live.

ozskipper
26th Apr 2006, 11:54
I transferred up from Australia - ask away!

Either here or via pvt..... Whatever is easier.... There are some things I prefer to answer via pvt message (to protect the innocent). :)

janetplum
27th Apr 2006, 14:16
Hi guys, I have an interview with Qantas Uk in May and I just wondered if anyone could pass on any information about working for Qantas in the UK and about what to expect at the interview.

Cheers
JP:)

QFboi_MEL
28th Apr 2006, 11:21
Personally as I am not QFUK crew i wouldn't know the exact procedures of their recruitment, but it's probably like what they have in aus. Just be yourself, the recruiters can tell if you are putting on an act, if you be yourself and shine naturrally the job will be yours.

qfboi mel

tuismile
28th Apr 2006, 16:33
Janetplum,

When is your interview?? Mine's on the 12th May!! U gonna be there??

janetplum
28th Apr 2006, 17:25
yes tui mine's on the 12th as well:)

jp

wan2fly
28th Apr 2006, 17:25
Im Also QCCUK crew
We are a totally seperate company to QF AUS - the base is fantastic and the crew are fabulous - its still a young base so changes need to be made...
I have a serious problem with people whinging about the salary. This is mentioned to all candidates on the day of interview so how any one can moan ill never know - the only down side is that our sector pay is taxed which is not good - if you save some allowances you can easily bring back £100.00 per trip back so earn a decent whack....
BKK are the least amount paid so crew tend not to save that but I have just done 6 HKG in a row and I have brought a min of £100.00 each time and thats £600.00 extra to my salary - and before you ask NO i never spent all the time in my room.....
The crew in LHR AUS or UK recruited are some of the nicest and most professional and most of all fun crew I have ever worked with.
Please pay HARDLY attention to the "OTHER QF FORUM" ask crew that know!!!!!!.
I have been at QCCUK for 8 months now and enjoy my job very much.

Flugbegleiter
28th Apr 2006, 23:59
Hi Ezyjet2006,

It's good to see that you are doing a little research on Qantas and what to expect. It's a good idea to go into any interview with some decent knowledge of the company you want to work for. In this case, know a little about the Qantas network, know about the destinations you would be expected to fly to (mainly HKG, BKK, SIN), what type of aircraft we fly, etc. Don't go overboard, or you might appear to be a bit of a ****, but you shouldn't go in totally ignorant either.

Good luck :-)

crewboy
29th Apr 2006, 14:41
Hi Guys,:)
Have been accepted for the welcome aboard day on the 12th, would be good to know who else is going on that day.
Am looking forward to it in a nervous kind of way. Was shocked to get an invite as am not crew, even though I'm on a waiting list for a Bmi training course.
Would be cool to chat to anyone who is going on that day(or on any other of the days)

Thanks guys.:ok:

Crewboy:D

LucyLou
29th Apr 2006, 18:22
QFboi_MEL or ozskipper - Can u tell me when QFUK are looking at taking more crew over?? Im interested in putting my hand up for it. :) Do u know how long the contracts are atm, 2 yrs? And if u take the position, are u garenteed your position back in Qantas on return or will u be shipped off to another part of the group!? :bored: I can imagine getting back here and management informing us that "Im sorry as we have slimmed down our numbers in mainline, we no longer need your services here, however we do have positions within JQ for you! " lol. :confused: Thanks Guys!!

ozskipper
29th Apr 2006, 21:41
As far as I know (ie, my contract says)..... that you will return to your original position. So if you are a FA in SYD SH then you go back to being a FA in SYD SH after 2 years.

Again, the contract is for 2 years and all the same relocation allowances are paid. We've just had some Aussie crew transfer up under exactly the same conditions as the first transferee's (is that a word!?).

I'm not sure when we're taking more Aussie crew, but would suggest talking to your CCTM or getting in contact with the base manager up in London. He's very approachable.

QFboi_MEL
30th Apr 2006, 06:04
I heard on Galley FM that the next group will be going up when the original group comes back, as you have signed a contract stating that you will be returning to your original position, in my case MEL SH then that's where you go back to. as if they'd send us over to JQ or JQI we're worth more than that.

FLYING_HOSTIE
30th Apr 2006, 06:57
Having previously flown as Crew for another airline, dont' listen to every bad thing you hear, its either politics or jelous crew... I have heard great things about Qantas, and I have my interview on the 10th and can not wait!! I did meet an ex Australian QFCC at another interview and he did his best to put me off and nearly succeeeded but I've later learnt it was all rubbish..

As for QFUK being bad payers, the crew that moan about this obviously havent worked for Virgin! lol... when I was told on the phone the basic salary I nearly fell off my chair! Its fantastic and is a great bonus to what seems to already be a fantastic airline to work for.

So go for it! its all good experience going to these interviews, you may find yourself pleasently surprised
xx

superairhostess
30th Apr 2006, 07:44
You made me curious now:O

Could you PM with the details?

Maria x

ozskipper
30th Apr 2006, 09:16
Basic is around £1050 - £1150 per month depending on number of trips. Plus you will usually earn additional £500 - £600 per month in locally paid allowances. Providing you don't go crazy then you can bring most of that home.

3 days off after a trip, no seniority and it's allocated flying (no bidding).

jetgirl_99
30th Apr 2006, 12:54
Just to let everyone know, they'll be holding assessment days in september too, I was supposed to be going on the 12th but can't make it so when I called to cancel I was advised there will be more days in september. Good news for those who can't make it or didn't get the call this time round.

Good luck to everyone going along!

QFboi_MEL
30th Apr 2006, 13:21
Ozskipper
No one in the UK base has any seniority at all?? or just not the LHR local crew?? Do you know if our seniority keeps on going up when we're on LWP??? just curious, cuz i remembered hearing something like that but can't remember

ozskipper
30th Apr 2006, 17:39
No, there's no seniority at all. However, your seniority continues back in Oz. Although, there's no real recruitment happening so although your seniority goes up so does everyone else :)

FLYING_HOSTIE
30th Apr 2006, 17:54
Surely there are CSS's and FSM's though? (Pursers and Flight Managers).. that would be seniority and something to work towards? :ok: xx

ozskipper
30th Apr 2006, 20:18
Yeah of course.... But there's no seniority in terms of bidding, rostering, work positions etc.

There's always onboard seniority.... CSM, CSS and FA's....

QFboi_MEL
1st May 2006, 06:18
Hey ozskipper
Never worked LH before, but is the CSS basically a mini version of the CSM but in Y?
i know that they now have mocha ties instead of the brown ones, so it looks like too good for a brown tie, yet not good enuff for a red tie :}
you get my drift

ozskipper
1st May 2006, 10:19
LOL. Your kinda right.

There are two onboard managers in LH - a CSM (red tie) and a CSS (chocolate-luv / mocha tie). The CSM is no1 and the CSS is no 2.

The theory is that they both form an equal part of the onboard management team - whether that actually happens on a particular sector is another thing tho (ie, depends on personalities!).

The CSS runs the main cabin (and is part of the Y/C service) and the CSM, whilst ultimately in charge of all cabin services, primarily runs the premium cabins (and is part of the service in J/C).

I guess its like being 2nd senior all the time :)

LucyLou
1st May 2006, 11:23
Hey ozskipper - just been wondering... are u cabin crew? as far as i know - i could be wrong pls do correct me if so - there are no tech crew based in UK ... ??

ozskipper
1st May 2006, 15:00
Yes I'm cabin crew - was LH back in Australia and transferred up to LHR.

There are no tech crew based in the UK for QF (although there are moves to open a SIN base for SO's).

LucyLou
2nd May 2006, 00:55
Cool thanks for clearing that up! :) Its funny, when uk base was started i didnt even think about it, now it seems i have woken up to it! Sounds like such a good base up there., keep up the good work... Please keep me updated on anything that goes on up there! Safe flying!! :D

QFboi_MEL
2nd May 2006, 00:57
LucyLou, i'm guessing that you are cabin crew???? if so are you LH or SH and which base? (presuming you work for QF as well)

LucyLou
2nd May 2006, 01:16
Yep im cabin crew however i work for AO cns, soon to be Qantas Cairns base. I cant say im too happy about it, i know we still have job etc, but i dont like the thought of undercutting LH this way, anyway what can you do? (It seems to be happening all over the place atm) :\ Im hoping that with these new changes opportunities like UK base will open up to a few of us.

QFboi_MEL
2nd May 2006, 01:21
Lucy_Lou check your pms :D

Mr Seatback 2
2nd May 2006, 08:57
QfBoi...

Whilst I'm sure your intentions were different, be careful with the following statements:

"as if they'd send us over to JQ or JQI we're worth more than that."

Don't go putting yourself above others within the QF group - we all do the same job with different uniforms.

A rock print tie does not make a great hostie.

superairhostess
2nd May 2006, 09:25
Basic is around £1050 - £1150 per month depending on number of trips. Plus you will usually earn additional £500 - £600 per month in locally paid allowances. Providing you don't go crazy then you can bring most of that home.

3 days off after a trip, no seniority and it's allocated flying (no bidding).

Hey that sounds very good in comparison to other airlines in the UK!Just wondering what people are moaning about.....

QFboi_MEL
2nd May 2006, 16:59
QfBoi...
Whilst I'm sure your intentions were different, be careful with the following statements:
Don't go putting yourself above others within the QF group - we all do the same job with different uniforms.
A rock print tie does not make a great hostie.

I'm really sorry if I have offended anyone with that post. I have no doubt that there are many great hosties in all parts of the QF group, especially at JQ seeing as I have alot of good friends there, and that IS where i originally came from. Please don't hold it against me. I wasn't trying to put anyone down.

Mr Seatback 2
3rd May 2006, 00:28
No worries mate. Just a thoughtful reminder! ;)

smellycat
15th May 2006, 19:11
Hello Fellow High Flyers!

Just wondering if any one has the actual amounts of what QF UK wages/salaries are as I have had an interview and am just waiting to see if I was sucessful or not and like a doughnut :8 I forgot to write the amounts down! I think we were told that your net monthly wage was £1100 but I couldn't remember if that includes your sector pay!?!?!

Any help will be grateful! ;) Many thanks!!!!

Live long and keep it high!!!

Smelly-puss!

ozskipper
16th May 2006, 18:54
That includes your sector pay but not your local allowances.

What day were you interviewed?

Jetski setter
30th May 2006, 19:30
Hi there,
not sure if this will be of any help to anyone interviewing for Quantas but I had an interview just over a year ago. I have been flying for seven years which includes charter, schedule and long haul etc ad was also a purser at my last airline so thought I was in with a good chance at Quantas. However I was only asked two questions during a five minute one on one interview which were 1. What can you bring to Quantas? and 2. What does Quantas represent to you? After this I went through the classic group exercise with six other people, three of whom spoke very broken English which made it difficult.

After this I was measured and weighed. At this point I was told I was a fraction of an inch to short as I had to be 5' 4" and I was actually 5' 3" and 3/4 (Their words exactly). I was told this would not be a problem and would hear within two days. I heard nothing for two weeks so called to find out and was told rather rudely over the phone I wasnt selected becuase of my "height problem". Now I appreciate the height thing if I wasnt tall enough then thats fair enough but the whole thing was disorganised, badly run and vey unprofessional. I have heard Quantas have since changed the agency who deal with thie recruitment so please disregad this if so but hope this has been of some help. Good luck to all interviewing and happy flying!!

sydney s/h
31st May 2006, 04:08
Jetski Setter,

the reason why you missed out may not have been due to your height, rather the fact you keep spelling the company name incorrectly. Quantas is actually Qantas.

Maybe an idea to find out what the letters Qantas actually stand for then you'll stop adding the U!

Goodluck!

QFboi_MEL
1st Jun 2006, 00:43
OK, For those of you who don't actually know what Qantas stand for and keep on spelling it Quantas (it really annoys me when ppl do this)

Qantas stands for

Queensland
And
Northern
Territory
Arial
Service

See no place whatsoever for a U.

Bad Adventures
1st Jun 2006, 05:54
£1050 - £1150 per month hey!!! Sounds tempting! Nah, I think I’ll keep flying out of OZ for £1800 a month! :} :}

Fragnasty
3rd Jun 2006, 11:22
QFboi_MEL,

If you're going to attempt to put someone down for their spelling, best you get yours right first......

Queensland
and
Northern
Territory
Aerial
Services
Ltd.

This will prevent you from looking like a dumbass in future.

(I refer you to the Qantas website if you want to check it out for yourself.)

Choice bro'!!

Jetski setter
3rd Jun 2006, 13:47
Think basic grammar got lost in translation somewhere between the Uk and Australia, Q is always followed by U but just like in America the English language has been distorted in Oz to fit in with the qantas acronym. For the (obviously) easily offended, I apologise, but do hope my post was of use to any UK base hopefuls. (p.s. dont recall being asked to spell Qantas on my interview.)

TightSlot
4th Jun 2006, 01:32
Now that the spelling lesson has ended, can we all move on please?

:bored:

tuismile
4th Jun 2006, 02:54
exactly!

it's quite sad that people are acutally getting so offended over a slight error..and giving attitude with it. It doesn't take a lot to be polite guys and after all, this is a forum...not some place to b**ch at people....

Just chill out people...live a little!!!!

GalleyChick
4th Jun 2006, 13:34
Hi there

I'm also based out of LHR having previously been in short haul Sydney. My contract ends in LHR March 2007 and whilst i'm desperate to stay on my finances don't allow me to continue working for QFCCUK even though they are offering us a 3rd year contract.

If you talk to all of us we will tell you it's a great place to work. Not many people have problems with it. The ones who are negative of the base are not based in London but based in Australia and are against us taking their flying as they put it. The negative people don't have a clue about what it's like to work from LHR. It's brilliant and I soooo wish i could stay longer. My finances are tough NOT because of the pay but because i have a mortgage back at home and i can't afford to keep paying it while i'm here.

To all those applying for the UK base good luck and have loads of fun flying with a bunch of fantastic flight attendants.

mostie
4th Jun 2006, 20:49
Given that the original contracts for those who transfered from Australia to LHR are just about up I wonder how long it will take for QF's spin team to wind up again?

QTee anyone?????:rolleyes:

GalleyChick
12th Jun 2006, 13:08
No-one chooses their work positions, they are pre-allocated by a computer system. The CSM then gets the list and allocates the positions using the pre-allocated sheet or changes it to his/her convenience. Some of us will go up to them and ask if we can be changed depending on if they've buddy bidded with a friend and would like to work with them or if they're not happy working in that position depending on experience (it's all up to the CSM to accept or not). No choice really - but we are all happy with that, we have separate Business/First Class flight attendants and Economy flight attendants where they will work in that zone all the time for flights.

This is the same for allocating rosters. We can't bid for our rosters like back at home. The system gives out the rosters then a rostering team goes through them and supposedly has to amend them so we get a fair share of weekends off and varied trips (even though we only do Bangkok, Hong Kong and Singapore plus some charters). Again we don't complain much about it, it's a great base and has the same problems as other companies.

As for the spin team, i don't know what's been happening. I know they've advertised internally for Australian crew back at home in short haul and long haul to apply for the London base, applications will close shortly.