PDA

View Full Version : Initial DESO Vancouver

CDNNORTH
24th Apr 2006, 07:52
Emailed today for an initial DESO in June. I have only light turbo-prop experience (Canada North, USA & some limited overseas), wanted to know if others with similar experience could share any initial interview details- specifically in Vancouver.

captainkangaroo
24th Apr 2006, 17:42
Just got the call as well. DSO initital interview in yvr in begining of june. 704 and 705 turbo-prop f/o and capt. Just under 4000TT. The crazy thing is I just excepted a job with AC! I wish they called me a few months ago I would have at least liked to go through the interview process with them. Good luck to everyone!

cpt.morgan
27th Apr 2006, 05:06
I've got an interview in June, YVR. turbo-prop, mostly FO time.

Mach75
27th Apr 2006, 06:51
I've got one in YVR on June 7th. 3500 Hours total. 2000 hrs corporate jet - mostly FO.

R8TED THRUST
2nd May 2006, 02:10
Hi Got the call as well! I'm really excited. I have >6000 Hrs B-737 Capt. YVR June interview forCX.

watchthis!
2nd May 2006, 05:13
Got the invitation as well. June 9th. 4600 hrs, almost all multi engine, 1800 MPIC Turbine.

Flyer34
3rd May 2006, 13:45
I'm there in June also. 5500TT 1000 Jet (600 corporate and 400+ 737), 2000 T-Prop mostly Captain, 600 multi-piston mostly Captain, and the rest single piston.

Anyone know if they may consider people with my time for DEFO on the freighter or would this only happen if they told you the interview was specifically for the FO Freighter position?

Also in THE interview guide (X,Y,Z) it says that YVR and YYZ anr Freight bases, but as far as I can tell this may be a typo since it dosen't have them listed as freighter bases on the CX website. Can anyone confirm that?

Good luck to all!

Flyer34

ataboy
3rd May 2006, 16:00
See you all in YVR
7000 Total Time; 6700 Large A/C; 2500 PIC (Large A/C0; 600 jet.

Penske
3rd May 2006, 18:38
Flyer34: You and some of the other posters certainly quailify for DEFO on paper. My advice would be to attend the interview, show how keen you are for any position offered, and late nature take its course. Cathay is well aware of its requirements and if you impress them, you will be offerend an FO spot. There is no upside to making it an issue yourself though, imho, as that might not be well received.
As for YVR and YYZ, there are a few people with bases there who fly the freighter, but only due to previous assignments and grandfathered rights. No new hires will be offered these bases.
Good luck.

Flyer34
3rd May 2006, 19:48
Penske,

Thanks for the reply and advice. I will certainly try my very best to impress at the interview for any position with Cathay. In your opinion (if ever the chance would allow someone to choose) is there any benefit to going to the freighter side as an FO or is it better to go the Honk Kong route as a SO?

Thanks, Flyer34

Penske
4th May 2006, 17:45
The DEFO postition is like winning the lottery from a career perspective - especially coming from Canada. On the other side of the coin, one could argue that you might be better off financially taking the SO job in Hong Kong and investing in property etc.

Many of us on the Freighter are a mature group (in our 40s) and aren't chasing that first down payment for a house. If you are in this situation, I would choose the DEFO position in a heartbeat.

The hard work you have done to prepare for your interviews is much like the work you will have to do for the rest of your career with Cathay. The standard is the standard and there are no short cuts. This does not suit all people. That said, it is a great place to come to work.