View Full Version : London HEMS tail boom??

cptjim
24th Apr 2006, 05:40
Hi,

Does anyone know what happened to the tail boom on the London HEMS MD902?

I saw a photo earlier and the end of the boom had a dark blue rotating thruster cone rather than the usual red one. Just wondering if it had a tail strike as I know they put it down it some crazy places.

http://www.kertappa.co.uk/hemsmenu.html

Look in G-EHMS in Trafalgar Square for images.

Jim :confused:

FloaterNorthWest
24th Apr 2006, 10:01
Jim,

Wouldn't think it was a tail strike as the hockey stick is still intact, that is usually the first thing to go.

I would hazard a guess that their's has been taken off for maintenance and they have fitted one off a police machine hence blue.

May be a police machine in the hangar at Staverton minus a thruster rotating cone assembly.

FNW

:ok:

quichemech
24th Apr 2006, 21:39
There's a ring on the inside face of the cone, these wear out after a while and when changed are rebonded back into place and the adhesive has a long cure time. No doubt the top quality shift engineers at pas used a spare( :rolleyes: ) cone to keep the machine on line:ok:

cptjim
24th Apr 2006, 22:35
Thanks for the response guys, I am now a little wiser than when I woke up! :E

Best regards

Jim :ok:

Dauphineer
25th Apr 2006, 00:05
In my garage I have a fluorescent orange tail stabiliser from one of Hems' earlier "sporting" landings in London. But it's nothing compared to the trafffice lights someone else has from a different incident............:ok:

cptjim
25th Apr 2006, 00:37
Wow Daupineer, it'd be great to hear the stories behind those incidents if you have them?

Jim :}

Dauphineer
25th Apr 2006, 06:53
What and ruin my chances of
A. Being allowed back in the building.
B. Letting the CAA know anything we may have forgotten to tell them
c. Ruining the story for my book on the industry (which I'll never write because i'm a lazy tw*t)

cmacltd
29th Apr 2006, 06:10
All in the best possible taste, it was installed for diagnostic purposes I understand; wearing bearings and all that stuff:zzz: