PDA

View Full Version : African Airlines Question?

nwa32O
24th Apr 2006, 04:21
Why is it you guys crash heaps? Is it because of the under trained pilots or poor aircraft maintenance. I have flown on a couple of African airlines and the service and quality is appalling. You need to be more like our great airlines here in America. Why don’t you come to America and see how a real airline is run? Is it because you can’t afford the tickets to America? Did you know 67 out of the 80 airlines on the EU blacklist are African? What is it about aviation in Africa? I hear the only good one is virgin Nigeria and that's because it’s owned by a brit!
Well hope you can answer my questions.
toodles!

Warlock2000
24th Apr 2006, 04:29
67 out of 80 on EU list banned??!! :eek: That's disgusting, I thought it would have been MORE!

By the way, those great airlines in the US of A, :rolleyes: all fantastic!
Now, if they could just emerge from chapter 11.....:{

African-Fly-Guy
24th Apr 2006, 05:30
Why is it you guys crash heaps? Is it because of the undertrained pilots or poor aircraft maintainence.

We are not undertrained! I'd like to see you try and keep a 40+ year old flying junkheap in the air!

Honestly, a well maintained landrover should stay airborne longer than the plane I currently fly. The fact that we are still completing most of our flights without incident is a true testament to our flying ability.

I have flown on a couple of african airlines and the service and quality is appaling. You need to be more like our great airlines here in america. Why dont you come to america and see how a real airline is run? Is it caus you cant afford the tickets to america?

If you're paying I'll be all over America like mongoose on the black mumba! (tee hee, I made a funny)

Honestly, we have heard wonderful tales of a great airline by the name of 'SouthWest' but they are blessed with classy and afluent customers and I fear the levels of luxury that they offer their customers is unsustainable over here.

Did you know 67 out of the 80 airlines on the EU blacklist are african?

69 as of Sunday...but really, who do the Brits think they are claiming our new 707s are causing "unnaceptable levels of noise pollution".

I hear the only good one is virgin nigeria and that's becaus its owned by a brit!

What about Bellview, Arfiqiyah and flyJuJu?

toodles!

Gutten Tag!

~ Schoning, OUT!

B200Drvr
24th Apr 2006, 07:04
NWA 320
At least our airlines are better than your spelling. If America had an education system run as well as African airlines it would be a start. As for service? I have no idea which American airline you flew that had better service than an African one, you are joking are you not? You truely have the worst service in the history of aviation at the moment:yuk:
Further more, Africa consists of 50+ countries, America is one country, but then if you were educated you would know that, why dont you compare America with South Africa, 1 on 1 and you will see that you have way more accidents then we do (% wise off course)
A good way to start your first post, keep it up Dumb @$$

chuks
24th Apr 2006, 07:41
You fly an A320 for Northwest Airlines? Or did you just take a ride down the back on one once with that thingie hung around your neck containing your 'particulars'? I am sorry to have to ask but your posting here just seems so... young, somehow. (I was going to write 'immature' but never mind.)

If you really do have a question about African airlines, go to your local public library (that would be a big building with a lot of books, somewhere downtown) and check out the recent issue of 'Flight International' with the annual summary on flight safety.

It is sadly true that Africa has more than its share of accidents but even a casual reading of the stats will tend to show that's probably down to lax regulation and old aircraft. Don't blame the pilots for having accidents, since accidents usually occur from a chain of circumstance.

In a perfect world pilots would refuse to fly anything that was not perfectly maintained but in the here and now we do tend to fly whatever we are given. Otherwise we get fired and then sometimes, even, people come and take away all the neat stuff we have at home. When you grow up you may, if you are not lucky, find out about this sort of thing.

This is one reason why ICAO has Standards and Recommended Practices (SARPs) which all signatories should adhere to. ICAO has recently decided to pay special attention to Africa in an attempt to get better adherence to these SARPs and thus a lower accident rate.

In America you are lucky to have politicians who are usually only a little bit crooked. In Africa you often find that politicians are a whole lot crooked, beyond your tiny American mind's wildest dreams of crookedness, and it is the politicians finally who make and enforce the rules for aviation. ICAO can only try to get them to adhere to SARPs; they are not policemen.

Meanwhile, have a look at some of the accidents that US airlines manage to have, despite having better equipment and stricter regulation. Many of them are downright embarrassing! To take a perfectly good, practically new Boeing 737 and run it off the far end of a long runway, ending up in the middle of a highway... what is that all about but carelessness? At least when a guy dings in flying a clapped-out Antonov that is 25 years old and several tons overloaded there's not much to wonder about as far as causation goes. But when some American operators manage to get it so far wrong without any particular reason for that then the rest of us have to wonder what is going on. Take a look at that sort of thing before being so rude about what goes on in other parts of the world, why don't you?

Good luck looking for the library. Don't get lost! And don't take candy from strangers, either.

Metro man
24th Apr 2006, 08:34
Accident rate bad due to general decay and incompetence in the whole system and infrastructure of Africa since the former colonial powers left.

Eg. radar breaks down due old age, no money available for spares or replacement. Airport is now non radar. Fence wire stolen from perimeter and not replaced, animals now a hazard. Aircraft unable to be maintained properly due lack of spares and expertise, but they still fly.

Corrupt officials paid off to look the other way by some dodgy operators focused on short term profit, regulations not enforced.

An air transport system is a complex and expensive thing requiring highly skilled man power and lots of money to work properly. Both of these are severly lacking on a continent which can't even feed itself and provide clean water let alone operate and maintain complex airliners(with some exceptions)

Not too many African countries can provide a reliable electricity supply and have phones which work, so you can't really expect fantastic aviation capabilities.

I must add however, that the service on US airlines is nothing to boast about these days and if you're so great at running airlines why are so many of them going bankrupt ?

Blue Steel
24th Apr 2006, 09:32
It's mostly because we are more accustomed to riding elephants than operating that which requires a mechanical mind.

Skylion
24th Apr 2006, 10:16
Service and American airlines are not common bedfellows. The US majors are all pretty ghastly and come nowhere the levels provided by 99% of foreign carriers operating into the USA or the better of the African airlines flying within and outside the continent.
For service, a pleasant flight,- and punctuality,- Virgin Nigeria, Kenya Airways ( who are more profitable by any measure than any of the US majors), Ghana International ( if they last), Ethiopian, SAA, Comair/Kulula and others put the US majors to shame.
Africa is a huge and complex continent, interesting to the USA only when it is a source of minerals or oil they want. It has a good number of people in it, who despite all the problems , strive to make it work, day in and day out and achieve remarkable results. Aviation is crucial to it and those who fly at the more difficult end of the spectrum with old equipment , in difficult terrain onto poorly equipped strips are doing a job few US pilots would even contemplate. If the US were prepared to genuinely invest in African infrastructure life could be a lot easier, but even in Africa, pigs don't fly unaided.

Frogman1484
24th Apr 2006, 11:56
NWA320, Do you actually know where Africa is? The typical american I've met is so doof he thinks that Africa is a next to Texas...nice try anyway.

;)

Solid Rust Twotter
24th Apr 2006, 12:18
Just getting the feeling you folks are snapping at a lure being dangled...

AfricanSkies
24th Apr 2006, 12:33
definitely... this nwa320 (3 posts) (with Pom accent) and African-Fly-Guy (hmmmmhfa!) with (1 post) trying to get a rise out of us.

The real question should be..Why did they vote for a moron? :\ Twice?:\ :\

Jetdriver
24th Apr 2006, 12:58
Try Australian rather than American ! Nonsense thread in any event !