PDA

View Full Version : St George's Day

rab-k
23rd Apr 2006, 21:23
Couldn't see a thread title anywhere so thought I'd start it, albeit a bit late in the day.

To all my relatives, colleagues and friends - have/hope you had a great day:)

http://www.atlasgeo.net/flags/animations/Angleterre.gif

chappie
23rd Apr 2006, 21:42
thought i'd join in. happy st georges day.. ....what's left of it.

hope you and everyone had a good day however it was spent.:)

The Desert Ferret
23rd Apr 2006, 21:44
http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/images/g/gb-en-ys.gif

I'm first and foremost English - but its this flag that gives me the biggest hard-on.

G-CPTN
23rd Apr 2006, 21:45
Is that a daisy?

rab-k
23rd Apr 2006, 22:01
Dear God, perish the thought - you can cast your gaze upon this to cool your ardour...

http://mantaway.com/lancrose.gif

mutt
23rd Apr 2006, 22:59
Did you ever consider that no one is proud to be ENGLISH????

Mutt

Onan the Clumsy
24th Apr 2006, 02:42
Forget both them flowery flags. What's important is:

Barry wavy of eight sable and or a seagull volant proper, on a chief argent, a thunder-bolt also proper, between a fleur-de-lis and a lion rampant both gules, and for the crest on a wreath of the colours on the battlements of a tower or, the sails of a windmill saltirewise proper, surmounted in the centre by a rose gules barbed and seeded also proper. .....

http://can-thefylde.com/images/coa2.jpg

G-CPTN
24th Apr 2006, 03:42
Looks nice on the trams!

rab-k
24th Apr 2006, 08:34
Mutt

Go on then, enlighten us as to why.

(A Scotsman BTW, but curious to hear your reasons)

Bahn-Jeaux
24th Apr 2006, 09:16
We are not allowed to be proud of being English, not as long as all those Scotsmen sit on T Bleurghs cabinet. (not a pop at you tho' Rab)

PileUp Officer
24th Apr 2006, 09:40
St George wasn't noble and altruistic - he was blatantly just trying to [email protected] the princess!

He would get done by the RSPCA these days anyway.

rab-k
24th Apr 2006, 10:03
Bahn-Jeaux

Agree, to a point:

'Pa Broon' would indeed rather we all wrapped ourselves in the Union Flag ( http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4611682.stm ) and pretended we were all one and the same. (vive la difference I say - but for all the right reasons). However, surely England's MPs should tell the Scottish Macfiosi where to get off!

The English have never been keen on 'Johnny Foreigner' telling them what to do, and given issues of importance purely to England, i.e. your National/Saint's Day, I'd include anyone from out with England in that category.

(I'd like to see the EU try to discourage the Irish from celebrating St Patrick's Day: :ouch: )

Equally therefore, why should a UK Government, (dominated by Scottish MPs at cabinet level), be able to discourage the English from celebrating St George's day? And, more crucially, why should they be able to get away with it year after year?

Bahn-Jeaux
24th Apr 2006, 10:17
Equally therefore, why should a UK Government, (dominated by Scottish MPs at cabinet level), be able to discourage the English from celebrating St George's day? And, more crucially, why should they be able to get away with it year after year?

I applaud your stance Rab but unfortunately the trend for all political parties seems to be to promise the earth until they get power than ignore the public and concentrate on keeping power until just before election time again.

Any attempt at English nationalism is always compared to membership of the BNP by the powers that be yet they have actively encouraged and promoted nationalism amongst the Scots, Welsh and Irish.
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: Blair and his:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: cabinet.

bigfatsweatysock
24th Apr 2006, 10:59
So why do the politicians get the blame for the English not celebrating a Palestinian Lizard Killer?

St. George's Day has become more popular in the last few years, in fact I am led to believe it is much more popular now that it was 15 years ago (remind me who was in power then?)

The Scots, Irish and to a slightly lesser extent, the Welsh have all been at war with the English and feel somewhat subjugated by said country. This has had the effect of creating a definate identity that is separate and definable. The Scots have their own legal, education and religious identities, as do the Irish. If Englishmen feel embarassed about being English, look to yourselves, don't try abdicating the responsibility to someone else.

BTW hope you had a good day morris dancing and eating faggots. :ok:

Bahn-Jeaux
24th Apr 2006, 11:08
If Englishmen feel embarassed about being English, look to yourselves, don't try abdicating the responsibility to someone else.

I am not embarrased about my identity.
I am however extremely p'd off that should I wish to express my pride in my heritage I will be branded a xenophobic right wing wannabe thug.
I also want a seperate english assembly but will i see it?..not as long as this present shower of excrement grace the corridors of power.

BTW, i dont like morris dancing but then who am I to condemn, a mere banjo player, even stranger to some people.

rab-k
24th Apr 2006, 12:00
Bigfat...

Identity on the part of those of us on the 'Celtic Fringe' has of course been forged to an extent by the relationship with our larger neighbour. However, I think that the identity crisis that affects the English is due in part to the alternative identity which was formed to try to absorb and dilute the 'Celtic Fringe', namely the idea of Britain and Britishness.

It seems, although I'm probably talking out of my ar$e, that the very thing created to forge a single identity throughout the British Isles, has succeeded in absorbing the identity of the English far more fully than it has the Scots, Welsh and what remains of the Irish, who, lets face it, were the ones who were intended most to be affected. Perhaps the 'Celtic Fringe' saw the project for what it was, 'Englishness' by stealth, and have sought over the last 300-400 years to retain an identity separate from it.

Either way, a situation now affects the English who, having embraced the idea of Britain and Britishness far more fully/willingly, find themselves lacking an identity equally strong to that of their neighbours. The confusion exhibited by many of my English friends and colleagues who refer to Britain, when they in fact mean England, and refer to England, when they in fact mean Britain, just goes to prove it. I have never heard a Scot, Welsh or N.Irish person make the same mistake in conversation.

It is a great shame that many English people feel the way they do where their identity is concerned. Gordon Brown's attempt to play the 'Union Flag' card will I fear just add to that confusion.

If you're English, you should be proud to be so, and stuff the politicians and the cranks.:ok:http://www.llamatreks.co.uk/images/St%20George.gif

Windy Militant
24th Apr 2006, 12:13
A Belated happy St Georges day to all.

I can't remember who made the quote, but over the weekend I heard something along the lines of

"Poor St George how must he feel to see his once proud flag wrapped around lager sozzled bags of Hate!"

A shame that the media continues to play on this particular image which makes the silent majority of English folk uneasy to wear their flag with pride!

Any way not worry we'll all be one big happy family beneath the blue and gold EU banner soon! ;)

djk
24th Apr 2006, 14:03
I flew the flag yesterday, a couple of neighbuors asked me if I'd changed nationalities as usually I have the Union Flag flying.
One person walking down our street asked me if I was Swedish :rolleyes:

It made me realise just how blinkered to the rest of the world the Americans truly are

ex_matelot
24th Apr 2006, 14:28
Racist buggers!!!!

:}

Davaar
24th Apr 2006, 16:16
............. asked me if I was Swedish :rolleyes:
It made me realise just how blinkered to the rest of the world the Americans truly are

Be fair, old chap. In Minnesota everyone "else" IS Swedish. That is where Frau Davaar and I bought croissants sub nomen "comma buns".

djk
24th Apr 2006, 16:20
Be fair, old chap. In Minnesota everyone "else" IS Swedish. That is where Frau Davaar and I bought croissants sub nomen "comma buns".

I'm serious!! Actually most people in Minnesota are Finnish, but it does make you wonder about the state of education there.
Have to admit my surname (which is on the front of my mailbox) is close to a fairly popular Finnish surname, makes people wonder. Even though mine is a shortened version of a much longer name. But could easily have been derived from when the Finns occupied the Ukraine

BenThere
24th Apr 2006, 16:22
The English have a long and illustrious heritage to celebrate. And they should.

G-CPTN
24th Apr 2006, 17:48
Mutt

Go on then, enlighten us as to why.

(A Scotsman BTW, but curious to hear your reasons)

http://www.thetrams.co.uk/blackpool/trams/crest.jpg

tilewood
24th Apr 2006, 18:43
Flew my flag yesterday, and received a St. George's Day greeting card.

Quite a few flags flying in this area........."for England and St.George!!" :ok:

rab-k
24th Apr 2006, 20:30
G-CPTN

Errrr, thanks for that nice piccy of a the side of a tram...

...however, I was wondering if Mutt would enlighten me/us as to why, as he put it, "no one is proud to be English".

Are you suggesting that Blackpool's trams are what makes the English shy away from a sense of national pride? Or did our wires get crossed? :D

The Desert Ferret
24th Apr 2006, 21:37
Hang on - I've found another one.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/9/9a/Yorkshire.gif/180px-Yorkshire.gif

Salute that one ya heathen.

Crikey, it makes me want to break into song.

rab-k
24th Apr 2006, 22:34
Yes, yes, yes, we've got 'Nordic' versions too:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/0a/Flag_of_Shetland.svg/100px-Flag_of_Shetland.svg.png Shetland

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/fd/Flag_of_Orkney.svg/100px-Flag_of_Orkney.svg.png Orkney

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/f/fc/Gb-sc-b.gif/100px-Gb-sc-b.gif Barra

Come back Mutt before 'D-F' breaks into "On Ilkla Moor Baht'aht"!

VH-GRUMPY
25th Apr 2006, 08:23
When I was working on the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting in 2002 in Australia I offered to my (late noe) Uncle Bill who was visiting from Englnad a Union Flag.

He quite clearly said 'That's not my flag - mine is the flag of St George'.

He never accepted the union - he was English.

Flying Boat
25th Apr 2006, 14:06
Happy St George's Day

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't have a flag & am in Indonesia (Borneo) at present.

But my Rigs did an English Sunday Lunch with a St George's Cross Cake even though only a few English here.

The American, Aussies & Scots were happy to join in the fun.

PS it is not just St George's Day, if you believe the official info about Shakespeare he is 442 today (died on his 56th Birthday) & I am also 42 today.

I'm glad the English are now taking back their identity & country, England was becoming a pit of rubbish, I hope we get back to the days when "to hell with upsetting a visitor, it is my flag, my country & I'll fly it!"

Rant about stupid political correctness of our present society & small minded politicians over.

Have a good one, & the best beer for today is Bombardier (Cross of St George on the label).

For God, Harry & St George!

FB:ok:

I have since learnt that we worry many pax overseas with just a bit of white cloth & a red cross.:E :E :E :E :E :E :ok: :ok: :ok: :ok: :ok: