PDA

View Full Version : Ryanair load optimization

occasional
23rd Apr 2006, 21:01
Is anyone prepared to clarify Ryanairs load optimization procedures ?

They have just rescheduled my flight to a useless 6am departure.
Thet did exactly the same thing last year and then reversed the change a month later.

Can I afford to wait for them to repeat the procedure ?

Avman
24th Apr 2006, 07:41
Not an anti RYR post, but a general remark about (most) LCCs. They have a tendency to chop & change their schedules quite a bit and I find this one of the down sides, especially if they only operate one or two rotations a day. It can screw your plans completely. Another reason why I try and avoid using them.

occasional
24th Apr 2006, 09:04
Not particularly anti-RYR - I simply assume that each Ryanair flight will cost me about 20 pounds over the paid-for price in terms of unexpected hotels etc..

What puzzles me is the grouping together of LCCs for my experience of EZY, for example, is significantly different.

In fact I have been left with the impression that RYR have a relatively sophisticated system for scrapping flights. In this particular case I seem to remember that there were 2 flights in the day so that the obvious change procedure is to scrap the earlier flight so that all booked passengers can fly. That, however is clearly not what they do.

Any information about cut-off dates or prices might improve my ability to reduce the problems they cause.

befree
24th Apr 2006, 10:16
Ryanair has a hedge for 90% of the fuel needs up to march 06 at $49 a barrel.
The 10% was at the market price. Cutting back a few fights in the winter made big savings on the excess fuel bill. Now they have no hedge and the oil price is around $73-75 a barrel. Ticket prices are higher in the summer so more flights are viable. It would still be worth avoiding fligths that are hard to fill as if the total sales do not match the fuel costs then it may not get off the ground. The return leg may save you if it is well booked. It must be better to fly with an airline that impose fuel surcharges than one that just "retimes" your flight to another day.