PDA

View Full Version : Monica

Hawk
23rd Apr 2006, 21:56
Good luck to all our Australian Northern Territory ppruners. Cyclone Monica, Category 5 due tomorrow.
http://www.bom.gov.au/gms/IDE00005.200604231930.shtml :uhoh:

tall and tasty
23rd Apr 2006, 22:09
Good luck to anyone in her path.

I had friends in Florida/New Orleans and who got out before Katrina hit last year thank god.

My brother left Florida because of the increase in storm activity in the recent years.

Lets hope she burns out and is down graded before she reaches the coastline.

Thoughs with all you guys down there. Isn't it unusual for then in that part of the world?

TnT

tinpis
23rd Apr 2006, 22:13
Had one or two T & T.

http://www.ntlib.nt.gov.au/tracy/advanced/Met/NT_Cyclone.html

Now where did I put the cat?

G-CPTN
23rd Apr 2006, 22:17
Monica?
Does she suck? or blow?

brockenspectre
23rd Apr 2006, 22:37
As I said to tin in the TrabThread .... batten down hatches y'all and please stay safe :ok:

Trained Monkey
23rd Apr 2006, 23:07
It could be a catastrophe if the bottle shop gets destroyed. :eek:

Solid Rust Twotter
23rd Apr 2006, 23:28
Can we blame Clinton again?:E

DX Wombat
24th Apr 2006, 00:00
Can we blame Clinton again?:E
Does it really matter? We can just blame him anyway :E and the French too :ok: and the Germans and the Italians, Spanish, Scots - just pick whichever one takes your fancy. :ok:

G-CPTN
24th Apr 2006, 00:07
http://www.monica.com/

AA SLF
24th Apr 2006, 00:07
GOOD LUCK to HAWK and TINPIS, although I reckon that the Lady Hawk is in the more danger being in the area of "landfall".

CoodaShooda
24th Apr 2006, 00:29
Reports this morning of winds around the eye at 350km/hr but only 20km/hr gusts at 80 km from the centre. One hell of an intense little lady.

At present, the weather is fine and sunny. Showers and storms are predicted to move into the Darwin area late this evening with the eye passing tomorrow. I guess our ANZAC Day ceremonies will be off. :(

From tinny's site

Mar 1981 Cyclone Max. Gales in Darwin with considerable garden damage but only superficial building damage. Cyclone Max is notable for the fact that it was the first cyclone to pass through Darwin following Cyclone Tracy, and the response of the local people to the warnings was remarkable.

For 'remarkable' read 'blind panic' :E

Unfortunately, the non-events in recent years have made a lot of us complacent. As for the rest of us, long qeues at service stations yesterday and the shelves in the major supermarkets are looking rather bare. So we're now at 'some blind panic'.

Interesting to see the supermarkets out of bottled water but chock full of (cheaper) unsold bottled soda water and tonic water.

At least I've now done all the cleaning up around the house that I've been putting off for months. :ok:

G-CPTN
24th Apr 2006, 00:49
At least I've now done all the cleaning up around the house that I've been putting off for months. :ok:
You cooda shooda just opened the doors and windows, and Monica would have done your spring cleaning for you.

tony draper
24th Apr 2006, 01:20
Always though Monica was a very sexy name for some reason,dunno why.
:rolleyes:

CoodaShooda
24th Apr 2006, 01:23
G-CPTN

Could come to that, whether I like it or not. :}

Tracy was at 950 hPa. Monica was at 915 this morning with a later report suggesting she's down to 905. :eek:

My horoscope this morning mentioned a sudden, significant cash increase but probably not a lotto win. I do have a goodly amount of storm cover with my insurance company...................:rolleyes:

Flap15Geardown
24th Apr 2006, 02:06
Mmmmm. Sexy women going down;)

Hawk
24th Apr 2006, 02:52
To watch Monica in real time here's Darwin Harbour webcam. You'll note the "calm before the storm".
http://www.123cam.com/site.php?var=5754&site=http://www.ecocam.com.au/cameras/darlo.php

and 128 Darwin (Berimah) radar:
http://mirror.bom.gov.au/products/IDR633.shtml

The Voice
24th Apr 2006, 07:11
hmmmm ... the YPGV radar site is still pretty to look at!!

Good luck to all who chose to stand defiant. I think my house will stand up, but if not, thank god for insurance companies'!!!

I understand that all government buildings closed down at lunchtime and the Stuart Hwy (the ONLY road in/out of Darwin) has been closed to in traffic and is now all lanes southbound.

That, to me, means that she's a nasty 8itch! :sad:

rotaryman
24th Apr 2006, 08:07
As the Cyclone said to the Coconut Tree!..Hold on to ya Nuts! this is no ordinary Blow Job....:O

DX Wombat
24th Apr 2006, 10:44
Tinny and any other PPRuNers who may be affected, good luck to you and please let us all know as soon as possible that you are all safe and sound. :ok:
Tinny - hope Kat is ok.
Just tried to link to the Darwin webcam and it doesn't work :(

sprocket
24th Apr 2006, 11:08
The advice being given on the weather channel is that there would be a strong possibility that if anyone heads south to Katherine, flooding may cut them off. Seems to be plenty of water in Monica.

Good luck, whatever decisions you make there.

1DC
24th Apr 2006, 11:17
Our thoughts are with you all, hope it turns out ok and let us know how you are when you can.. Best wishes.....

tinpis
24th Apr 2006, 16:25
1.20 am just had a look seems like it is crossing the coast and weakening a little maybe tracking south of the city.
No physical signs of it here yet.

Kat has been under the covers in bed all night, he aint movin'.

airship
24th Apr 2006, 16:30
Kat has been under the covers in bed all night, he aint movin' Kats always know the best place under all circumstances... :ok: Tis the noises that rattle 'em IMHO...

Good luck tinny, been nice 'nowing you...

con-pilot
24th Apr 2006, 17:38
I just saw that the winds are now gusting to 199 knots, 217 mph.

The maximum winds in Katrina was only 124 knots.

You guys be real careful.

Hawk, be safe.

tinpis
24th Apr 2006, 18:12
Forecast track is south of here. Darwhine now on alert and weakening to CAT3.

Which means I'll only hafta look for me house in the next street not Katherine :hmm:

I would hate to see all them torch batteries and cans of beans folks been stocking up on flying around it would be lethal :ugh:

All the bottle shops got cleaned out one suspects Darwhine will be on a huge drunk.

con-pilot
24th Apr 2006, 18:21
Well, hang in there tin and keep your head down.

Please keep us informed.

tall and tasty
24th Apr 2006, 18:22
just saw that the winds are now gusting to 199 knots, 217 mph.
The maximum winds in Katrina was only 124 knots.
You guys be real careful.
hope she carries on getting weaker if she is. Good luck anyone in her path. All we worry about in blighty is the rain. I really would hate to be in your shoes

TnT

G-CPTN
24th Apr 2006, 18:30
She's BIG, and when she BLOWS, she's not just a mouse (organ):)

Pic far too big, if you wish it displayed, please resize it. Thanks. The Mods

AnEviltwinEr
24th Apr 2006, 20:09
Never mind downsizeing your pictures, some of us PPruNers doesnt have a biga** screen! :rolleyes::ok:

tinpis
24th Apr 2006, 20:24
Some current obs.

http://www.weatherzone.com.au/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=12;t=000406;p=21

Seems like we may only get a bath

Sorry about the little animals put down this afternoon by the RSPCA :{

Maybe the feckin MEDJA will make a story out of that

The Voice
24th Apr 2006, 21:41
you'd be feeling a bit scaredy pants if your down Adelaide River or Pine Creek way in your trusty caravan 'bout now I'd be thinking!

Phew .. DRW lives for another day ... and saves the insurance premium rise for another year.

tinpis
25th Apr 2006, 00:19
Now then , it has been suggested to me that the remnants of Monica moves out over the coast at Port Keats builds up and does a split arse turn back to Darwhine as a CAT 4......:uhoh: ......nah...

Nice little auto weather station for you here (http://www.northauschasers.com/HumptyDoo/) The Voice.:ok:

BenThere
25th Apr 2006, 00:42
Did they secure the crocodile farm?

The Voice
25th Apr 2006, 00:54
Tinny .. you know ALL the good tricky things doncha! :cool:

I'd be thinking PKT's could use a good blow thru', but split a$$ turns are deffo not a requirement!! :}

Apart from that, the turn would have to be a beauty to get back up far enough north to be a messy girl again ...

Capt Claret
25th Apr 2006, 01:37
Your's truly escaped Monica's wrath having flow the beast to safety at Alice. Mrs C was offered a ride but her fear of flying is such that she preferred to face a Cat 5 cyclone solo, as opposed to a comfy flight to Alice! :eek:

She advises me this morning (Mrs C not Monica) that upto 400 people who fled to Adelaide River township to escape Darwin and Monica, have been moved onto Katherine by the police.

Talk about Murphy's Law "drive away" from the obvious target - Darwin, only to have the sucker follow.

Tin Mrs C blames me for Monica. It seems that a couple of weeks ago I muttered the imortal words, "I can't believe we haven't had a cyclone this season". :\ Sorry.

tinpis
25th Apr 2006, 02:07
Just starting to blow (gusts) up here now Clarrie.
Tin has just done his one and only bit of cyclone preparation, take the cushion off me chair on the balcony.

pigboat
25th Apr 2006, 03:50
Anybody heard from Cooda? :confused:

CoodaShooda
25th Apr 2006, 05:25
Over here piggy:E

As far as Darwin goes, Monica was a big non-event - not even up to a standard wet season storm.

Towns 2-300 km away have suffered significant damage and the caravaners who drove 100km south to get out of Monica's way ended up in the line of fire.

We just have an overcast drizzle now with a light breeze.

On the upside, I've had to do all the cleaning up that I've been putting off for months.

The down side will probably be that the locals, having been warned that they faced the biggest cyclone to hit the region, will now be very complacent when the next cyclone warning is announced. :ugh:

Looks like Western Australia can take care of Monica now. :rolleyes:

tinpis
25th Apr 2006, 05:35
.....and Coles and Woolies made an absolute MOTZA ! ! ! :bored:

The Voice
25th Apr 2006, 05:38
JUST for something different .. hey!

tinpis
25th Apr 2006, 07:58
4 pm BOM obs here (http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDD65149.shtml#DD)

Lookit the Charles point pressure Voicey.

The mass is over the water and heading NNW could we yet see a reformation and the dreaded split arse turn to the NE? :hmm:

The Voice
25th Apr 2006, 08:41
aagghhhh Tinny, I bin lookin at them flash local weather sites .. had noticed the dip below 1k in pressure. :eek:

Darn thing didn't go anywhere NEAR far enough south .. doh!

You may have to move to the next stage in your prep .. :E like, maybe take the chair off your balcony and stick it inside?

tinpis
25th Apr 2006, 09:53
The view from the left hand seat of tins balcony.

http://www.fototime.com/%7B581C6ED9-6389-44E1-B80E-83C59E2DAE39%7D/picture.JPG

Reduce speed to best turb penetration punters and tarts in their seats load more grog in the fridge.

angels
25th Apr 2006, 09:57
Nice one tinny.

Probably not the time to put the cushion back.

Glad all is well.

sprocket
25th Apr 2006, 10:03
Probably the only swallowing to be heard while Monica is waiting for the temporary droop to end.

tinpis
25th Apr 2006, 23:32
For those that missed the action (http://cimss.ssec.wisc.edu/tropic/real-time/marti/2006_23P/webManager/last48hrs.gif)

It sure died after crossing the coast :ok:

tony draper
25th Apr 2006, 23:40
Good stuff Captain Tin,your town was on me telly yesterday,bloody hell,I see yer got proper roads and stuff there now.
:rolleyes:

G-CPTN
26th Apr 2006, 00:37
So Monica blew herself out. Tins was obviously more than she could handle.