PDA

View Full Version : Student Pilot Licences - How Long?

tealady
23rd Apr 2006, 04:56
Just got an SPL from CASA - lodged 10/01/06. Still waiting for one lodged 14/01/06. Most applications for over 18's are taking 10 to 12 weeks, under 18's about 4 weeks. Not only are new customers disadvantaged, but staff are wasting at least half an hour each week chasing up each application that is more than 4 weeks old. Can't swallow the line that it is still a security holdup now the games are over and everyone has (tongue in cheek!) their ASIC now!

butter bandit
23rd Apr 2006, 08:23
I applied for my SPL in early December. Still havn't got anything back from CASA. I rang the call centre a few weeks ago, and was told they were still awaiting my security check and they'd chase it up and give me a call back.

Still havn't heard anything though.

Creampuff
23rd Apr 2006, 10:06
CASA would like to process your SPL application, but CASA is too busy working on the regulations that will allow SPL applicants to get around the regulations requiring them to have an ASIC, so that their SPL can be issued quickly. See: http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=213814&page=2

Rate1
23rd Apr 2006, 14:24
Spoke to CASA Licencing last Friday chasing a students SPL. Expect up to 3 months before you hear anything. I was also told not to expect any SPL application to go on the system for at least a month after it is received by CASA. Too busyy!! CASA were also working on legislation to allow student pilots to go solo while their application was processed,thus allowing a normal training regime. DOTARS have put an abrupt end to this. The legislation is now on the back burner and Flying schools and students will continue to suffer.

Oh that's super!
24th Apr 2006, 15:43
I feel so sorry for the student pilots nowadays. Many moons ago when I learnt to fly, I had my PPL in about 3-4 months after taking my first lesson. I'd have been horrified and incredibly frustrated if I had to wait 3 months to go solo! :eek::eek:
Poor guys. I hope something can be sorted for both students' and schools' sake.

*Mandy*
25th Apr 2006, 14:12
I applied for my SPL in December and have only just received my SPL. I finally did my solo last week. This has been very frustrating as i have completed all of my lessons except for the solo components. This will ultimately end up costing more money.:{

*Lancer*
26th Apr 2006, 00:50
CASA,

How many Student applicants have failed the security checks?

The delay in processing applications is simply disgraceful, and seriously damaging to the industry.

EARTHQUAKE McGOON
26th Apr 2006, 01:01
hi guys.

just because you dont have your spl doesn't meen that you training stops. just tell your instructor that you would like to keep going on with your training and when your licence arives then do you solo stuff. to answer the question "has anyone failed the security check" the answer is yes. i know of two over seas students that have failed and are curently trying to appeal.

Good luck with your flying guys, and remember that you are incontrol of your training. Dont let them fob you off for ATPL students if you are only PPL.