PDA

View Full Version : Word/Internet issue

sprocket
22nd Apr 2006, 23:08
MS Word has a fetish with the internet.

If I try to copy and paste articles (text) online and paste into an open word document, the word programme then tries to acces the internet. My firewall advises me so I deny access. This in turn causes the paste process to hang for a few moments until it eventually pastes onto the open Word doc.

Is there a setting in word to prevent this? ... or is it a more sinister problem?

XP Home
IE 6
Word 2000

Hobo
23rd Apr 2006, 11:17
Have you got a HP printer by any chance? If so see:

"Microsoft update 11/04 can of worms" thread below

Globaliser
23rd Apr 2006, 13:44
Is there a setting in word to prevent this? ... or is it a more sinister problem?I don't know about the technical details, but there is one thing that you can easily do if you don't care about keeping the formatting.

If, instead of just "paste", you to to Edit -> Paste Special, there should be an option for Unformatted Text. Using that should strip out everything (bits of script embedded in the web page, would be my suspicion) that might need to hunt on the Internet, and just copy the plain text into your Word document - so it'll be fast. But, as I say, it'll strip out all the formatting as well, which may or may not be good for you.

sprocket
25th Apr 2006, 03:25
Thanks for the replies.

My printer is a canon.

The paste special seems to work first up, so I'll keep using that method for the time being. :ok: