PDA

View Full Version : Touring or saturation tourism

G-CPTN
22nd Apr 2006, 18:53
Following on from the 'Touring California' thread (and the conclusion that 5 days is insufficient time to 'see' San Francisco), do you prefer to see 'little bits' of many places, or stay somewhere until you've seen everything there is to see?
When I was travelling with work, I used my leisure time to skim the surface and devise a return trip that I would ideally take with Mrs G-CPTN (time and money permitting) so that I could 'show here a good time' (and avoid the boring places). I still have 'plans' for Rome, Paris, Southern Italy, Austria, Switzerland, Sweden, Singapore, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Sydney, Melbourne, NZ, all based on days-off during business trips.
If you were visiting an area unknown to you for the first time, would you prefer to spend a week in one place or pass through a larger area getting glimpses of 'what you missed'? THEN would you arrange a return visit, or continue 'sampling' fresh regions (I don't believe anybody has been 'everywhere'.) Guided tours are useful for maximum utilisation of your time, but we REALLY like to be 'on our own' rather than in a group.

ExSimGuy
22nd Apr 2006, 18:58
I hope that you and Mrs G-CPTN live to a ripe old age and experience the entire world!

Some American friends of mine visited UK for the seciond time and took my invitation to come to Sussex - the previous time they had "visted UK" they saw London!

con-pilot
22nd Apr 2006, 19:12
What I do on a long layover is to take a tour the first day or so and then from what I see on the tour if I like a certain area I (or we if my wife is with me) arrange to go back and spend more time.

That usually works out well for me.

lexxity
22nd Apr 2006, 20:56
This is where cruising is great, you get to see lots of places and decide if you want a return visit or to get the hell out. So far I have Curacao, Rome, St. Maarten and Ft. Lauderdale on the "to return to list." It also meant that we could leg it back to the ship upon visiting the tourist hell that is St. Thomas.:yuk: :yuk: We used tour guides for our day in Rome and also when we docked in Panama as it helped us to see and learn more of these potentially overwhelming places.

So to sum up a quick visit is a great indicator for a return trip.

con-pilot
22nd Apr 2006, 22:27
tourist hell that is St. Thomas

Sad to say I agree with you on that Lexxity. That place is a total waste of a beautiful island.:(

I flew hurricane relief into there years ago and then visted later (after the recovery) as a tourist. Could I tell you stories.

airship
22nd Apr 2006, 22:45
I really believe that as people get older, they prefer revisiting places they're already familiar with. After all, once you reach a certain age, you should by then know what you expect out of a vacation. Strains of "better the devil you know than the devil you don't..." or "absence makes the heart grow fonder..."?!

Air-Geko
23rd Apr 2006, 14:03
Lexxity,

Feel free to skip Fort Lauderdale, really. There, I've done my good deed for the day and it's only 10am!

Ultranomad
23rd Apr 2006, 14:55
Personally, I don't subscribe to either approach - I prefer to move to the place I want to see and live and work there. Now I'm in my fifth country... Anyone sharing the same modus vivendi?

av8boy
23rd Apr 2006, 17:26
Yeah. Jerricho.:)

Jerricho
28th Apr 2006, 14:39
Whaaaaat?

What have I done now?

:ooh: