PDA

View Full Version : Drawing programme

Fokkerwokker
22nd Apr 2006, 17:46
I would like to be able to draw some sample let down patterns for training purposes. Can anyone suggest any freeware/shareware that doesn't leave me with jagged straight lines?

Ta

FW

Loose rivets
22nd Apr 2006, 18:31
Some of the zig zags come off the CRT scan lines of course, so if you're using printed material, the lines may be straight. If they are straight on the screen at 000 and 090 degrees, then they should print straight at any angle.

Some years ago i used a mixture of TurboCAD and coral -- formally Xara SP?? Most of the aircraft electrics was done with the Coral product and worked quite well, but i had that free with Word Perfect. However, both of these are old tech and either cheap or free...if you're lucky.

Mac the Knife
22nd Apr 2006, 19:18
Paint.NET (if you're using Windows) - completely free, and not bad. Easy to use too.

http://www.eecs.wsu.edu/paint.net/

There are quite a few others, of which "The GIMP" is far the most powerful, but it sounds as though Paint.NET will be just up your street.

:ok:

Fokkerwokker
22nd Apr 2006, 20:01
Many ta's folks!

FW

Spitoon
22nd Apr 2006, 20:03
Sounds like you need a vector-based program. CorelDraw is one such but I don't think GIMP is. You can get a 15 day trial of the latest version of CorelDraw from here (http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=Corel3/Downloads/Trials). It's an excellent program but it might have a slightly steep learning curve if you've not used anything like it before.

Mac the Knife
22nd Apr 2006, 20:15
"The GIMP has some support for vector drawing in the Gfig plug-in, and the path tool , but these do not provide a complete editing environment and are not well suited to the creation of complex vector diagrams."

But the GIMP has a steepish learning curve (what capable drawing program doesn't).

If he wants a free vector based program then Inkscape - http://www.inkscape.org/ - would do nicely.

"Inkscape is an Open Source vector graphics editor, with capabilities similar to Illustrator, Freehand, CorelDraw, or Xara X using the W3C standard Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG) file format. Supported SVG features include shapes, paths, text, markers, clones, alpha blending, transforms, gradients, patterns, and grouping. Inkscape also supports Creative Commons meta-data, node editing, layers, complex path operations, bitmap tracing, text-on-path, flowed text, direct XML editing, and more. It imports formats such as JPEG, PNG, TIFF, and others and exports PNG as well as multiple vector-based formats."

But it sounds as though he's do well with something simpler (though Inkscape is quite manageable).

:hmm:

Loose rivets
23rd Apr 2006, 05:04
I once owned a company in the UK that built CAD workstations. It was in the early days of AutoCAD. I watched as architects were gradually forced to use the AutoDesk ( AutoCAD) product by their own governing bodies. A few years ago a substantial firm in the NW of the UK I think it was, defied this ‘directive' and went for TurboCAD. I was aware how good it was, and within a little while it was doing things that were only on the ‘wish list' for AutoCAD.

I got the impression that the (then) £2,500 per seat software was like a ‘Snap On' tool box. There was something for every occasion, but you might not need it for...oh, ten years or so, and even then you could get over most things with an old lawnmower spanner. The £79 TuboCAD was like the giveaway tools, simple and to the point.

When Coral Draw matured it was also very good, but was not quite a replacement for a CAD program. I always felt that a combination of the two would have been a fantastic product.

There was a communication dialog that Auto Desk gave away in the early days DFX format files I thing it was. This would allow dwg. Files to be transferred to other CAD progs within these files. Any prog in those days that had not got this ability, was at a clear disadvantage.

Mac the Knife
29th Apr 2006, 14:39
I would like to be able to draw some sample let down patterns for training purposes. Can anyone suggest any freeware/shareware that doesn't leave me with jagged straight lines?
Ta
FW

I'm not entirely sure what you're doing FW, but Google have just released SketchUp for Google - http://sketchup.google.com/product_suf.html

"Google SketchUp (free) is an easy-to-learn 3D modeling program whose few simple tools enable you to create 3D models of houses, sheds, decks, home additions, woodworking projects – even space ships. You can add details, textures and glass to your models, design with dimensional accuracy, and place your finished models in Google Earth, share them with others by posting them to the 3D Warehouse, or print hard copies. Google SketchUp (free) is a great way to discover if 3D modeling is right for you."

I think it's the neatest thing since...urrr, well...

Anyway, trying to get the dim but nice architect to visualise the roof extension I want to put in just got a while lot easier.

THIS IS WORTHY OF A STICKY, O MODS!

Saab Dastard
29th Apr 2006, 16:12
Mac, I've added it to the "Ultimate List of Free Software" thread in the FAQ.

SD