PDA

View Full Version : 60ft pipe bomb at Lee-on-Solent

ORAC
22nd Apr 2006, 16:20
BBC: Large bomb found at ex-Navy base

A 60ft World War II pipe bomb has been found under a runway at a former Royal Navy air base. The device is believed to be one of a number of explosives planted at HMS Daedalus, Lee-on-Solent, Hampshire, to be set off in case of invasion. Hundreds of homes may have to be evacuated when it is detonated in June.

Solent Coastguard and Hampshire police air unit, which both use the site, are still in full operation, but a glider club has been ordered to stop flying. A spokesman for the police unit said it used a runway that was not affected.

Flying instructor Tony World, of the Portsmouth Naval Gliding Club, said the 18m bomb had been confirmed at the site during two months of recent survey work. He said: "They are saying they are not sure that it is the only one. We have even been told we cannot walk on the grass."

The base was the headquarters of the Fleet Air Arm during the Battle of Britain. Several explosive devices were found there about 15 years ago and were blown up. Much of the base was recently transferred to the Maritime and Coastguard Agency, which had previously rented the site.

Strictly Jungly
22nd Apr 2006, 19:32
Quite scary and to think I used to pound the runways and peri tracks as a young trainee! I pass DAEDALUS most weeks and it is really sad watching it decay before your eyes. Great Wardroom when it was open!

Another great move by the MOD!!!

ShyTorque
22nd Apr 2006, 23:35
Didn't the runway at Manston have the same problem, some years ago? More than one bomb though, if I recall correctly.

SASless
23rd Apr 2006, 00:13
Sounds like the military SAR crowd will do anything to prevent a takeover by the civvies.:E