PDA

View Full Version : Cessna 209 POH and hire

Tiger 77
22nd Apr 2006, 13:04
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knows where I can find a Cessna 209 POH and also where in Australia one can be private hired?

I'm suppose to be starting a job over in India flying them late next month and wanted to get familiar with the machine. I've never heard of them before but apparently they're a stretched c207 but with the same engine.

Any help would be appreciated. I have a photo that someone sent to me, apparently they are quite rare.

Cheers,

Tiger.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g223/Tiger_Guts/C209.jpg

404 Titan
22nd Apr 2006, 14:02
Ha ha, you crack me up. I think though you forgot the Photoshop editing on the front of the aircraft like you did on the back. The way it looks it wants to sit on it’s a**e.:suspect: ;)

Richo
22nd Apr 2006, 14:19
Must agree Titan

Trailing edge of wing to TE wing Shadow, then TE of elevator to TE elevator shadow.

Does not seem to work out hay Mr Tiger 77.

Unless of course the sunlight refracts differently over there in India, was it.

What a shame, KAK AIR would make a killing with them on the senics.

richo

Navajo King
22nd Apr 2006, 16:18
I think you'll find that the photo above is genuine. I have seen a 209 while visiting the US and it's a weird machine. Theres a very critical loading procedure and a strict weight limit for the most rear seats. The engine has also been moved further forward when compared to the c207.

Sorry Tiger, can't help you with your questions. Don't think there would be any 209's in Aus, but good luck with the new job. :ok:

NK.

bellsux
22nd Apr 2006, 17:04
N1517U
1969 Cessna 207
Serial Number 20700117

and the FAA has never issued a type certificate for the 209.

www.faa.gov if you don't believe me.

Gordstar
22nd Apr 2006, 19:26
Tiger 77

Brilliant mate!

ROFLMAO :ok:

OpsNormal
22nd Apr 2006, 21:07
N1517U
1969 Cessna 207
Serial Number 20700117
and the FAA has never issued a type certificate for the 209.
www.faa.gov if you don't believe me.

Irony is absolutely lost on some people.....:suspect:

the wizard of auz
23rd Apr 2006, 00:06
You should have shopped a few donks on the wing and called it a mini buff. :}

Howard Hughes
23rd Apr 2006, 00:46
Just watch out for those reduced power take offs, the book says that you can do it, but I don't know.....;)

As to the Kak Air scenics, thank god for thermals, sometime it was the only thing that got you over the escarpement!!:ok:

disco_air
23rd Apr 2006, 02:28
I reckon they'd also make a killing on the PKT/KAL/FRV runs!

Ehhh datta long wun eh, pit de hole pamileh in dat wun! :}

...Disco

Looks2Young
23rd Apr 2006, 06:43
Rumaging through some old files I came across a copy of a page from the weight and balance section of an old C209 POH, heres the weight and balance extract:

3.5.1 Balance

Aircraft must be loaded front to back. If at or below maximum take off weight, aircraft is is balance, provided that:
a) Balance test is carried out as below*
b) MTOW is calculated by the formula: MTOW-fuel-pilot=pax+frieght weight*

*The balance test is as follows. Load the aircraft until all required pax and freight is on board. Lock barn doors and while walking around the rear of the aircraft to pilot door, casually lean on the elevator. Push down on the elevator so that the tail is forced toward the ground and then let go. If the tail rises again on it's own accord, so that the nosewheel is contacting the ground, the aircraft is in balance.
** If the tail does not rise after being pushed down, ask the pax to move their seats as far forwad as possible and try again.
***If this still does not work, consider the weight of the pilot at his/her station. This weight in most cases will be satisfactory to put the aircraft back into balance.

disco_air
23rd Apr 2006, 06:52
Remember the footnote there:

In some marginal 'in balance' cases, the nose oleo will be extended so as to no longer be connected to the rudder pedal steering mechanism. In addition to poor forward visibility problems when taxiing, steering must be done cautiously with differential braking only. Turning off runway may only be done at very low speed.

...Disco

rmcdonal
23rd Apr 2006, 06:55
Would be a bugger to sit in the back :yuk: :E :}

Dry_Twotter
23rd Apr 2006, 07:48
Reminds me of the Boeing 757 Stretch model I flew home in after my C209 interview in India

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g223/Tiger_Guts/stretch757.jpg

DT

montyjames
23rd Apr 2006, 09:59
I think you'll find that the photo above is genuine. I have seen a 209 while visiting the US and it's a weird machine. Theres a very critical loading procedure and a strict weight limit for the most rear seats. The engine has also been moved further forward when compared to the c207.
Sorry Tiger, can't help you with your questions. Don't think there would be any 209's in Aus, but good luck with the new job. :ok:
NK.

if you say so, BTW here is the original of the obove photo.
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/0212461/M/

Tiger 77
23rd Apr 2006, 10:30
Montyjames,

The photo which you found on airliners.net is actually about 5 years old and I have been told that particular aircraft (the 207 - cn 20700117) was re-registered about 2 years ago and sold.

The Cessna 209 in my photo was re-registered as N1517U and purchased by the same company who owned the 207. I guess they painted it the same colours, and took the photo outside the same hangar so it looks similar. I guarantee you're looking at two different aircraft.

As for the earlier post regarding the registration details showing it as a c207, the reason is a C209 is also officially known as a C207-900 (or stretched 207) and has the same engine and wing as a c207. Bit like a Navajo and Chieftain known as a PA31, even though the chieftain is a stretched Navajo.

Hope this clears a few things up. BTW I'm still waiting for answers to my original questions!

Cheers,

Tiger.

montyjames
23rd Apr 2006, 10:36
I wasn't arguing the existence of a C209, but rather point out that the photo you posted IS infact an edited photo, Everything in it is exactly the same, from the paint scheme to the Rego, that car is in the same spot, as well as the shadow in exactly the same spot, even look at the nose wheel, pointing the same way in both photos.

Tiger 77
23rd Apr 2006, 10:43
There are many things the same I agree, but theres a perfectly logical explanation for everything.

1. The car is in the same spot because the company CEO has parked in that spot everyday for the past 10 years.

2. The shadow is similar because both photo's were taken at the same time of day and year.

3. The nosewheel is turned the same way because whenever a plane is parked in that spot the pilot must make a tight turn to get in, and theres not much room to straighten the nose wheel.

4. The paint scheme is the same because its the same company and they like all their aircraft painted the same way.

5. See my previous post regarding same rego.

Not arguing, just giving out the facts.

Cheers,

Tiger.

scrambler
23rd Apr 2006, 11:04
Not quiet the same monty, the pic you showed was obviously taken before the hangar was jacked up, moved to the right and extended.

rmcdonal
23rd Apr 2006, 11:08
Not quiet the same monty, the pic you showed was obviously taken before the hangar was jacked up, moved to the right and extended.
A regular occurrence at most GA airfields :}

just the facts
23rd Apr 2006, 11:10
Tiger77
All those points may be true, but it also seems that they have added an extra door/panel to the building behind. The original has 8 and the stretched one has 9, extra inseted in stretched position.

Necessary I am informed, as the C209 is usually moved sideways into the hangar.

:}

Sunny Woomera

sailing
23rd Apr 2006, 11:12
Monty, I can personally vouch for this aircraft, having flown it in the U.S. for the last few months(got home last week). It is being used at a skdiving centre in Utah (Salt Lake Skydiving, locally known as the 'Bonneville Bouncers'!) and is a popular aircraft for formation jumps as it can lift 10 skydivers. The jumpers were always taking the piss, saying "It must take a long time to wind up the rubber band in this one"
We also did an unusual charter, with the seats out, flying three green Anacondas from Ecuador to a private zoo in Orlando, Florida.
Cheers, Sailing.:ok:

montyjames
23rd Apr 2006, 12:08
As i said before, Im not arguing the existance of the 209, but more to the fact that its an edited photo, everything in it is the same, including glare etc, all of which would be imposible to get if the photos were taken on different days.

Notice how the truck is also longer.

Hotter day, heat expansion. Actually, like most GA fuel trucks that one broke down 10 years ago and hasn't moved since.

All seems very logical to me!

Sunny Woomera

Tiger 77
23rd Apr 2006, 12:31
Monty,

Regarding the fuel truck - I believe the company obtained a new fuel truck about 2 years ago, following a collision between the old one and an aircraft taking off on a taxiway (by mistake). The new truck was slightly longer but otherwise looked identical to the old one. I guess thats the new truck in the c209 photo.

Sailing,

Any tips on flying the aircraft?

Cheers,

Tiger.

wigga
23rd Apr 2006, 12:53
Tiger you crack me up mate!

disco_air
23rd Apr 2006, 12:58
This is just TOO funny :p

....Disco

Gunnadothat
23rd Apr 2006, 13:05
As i said before, Im not arguing the existance of the 209, but more to the fact that its an edited photo, everything in it is the same, including glare etc, all of which would be imposible to get if the photos were taken on different days.

Notice how the truck is also longer.

Quite agree Monty...

Draw lines from the leading edge of the horizontal stabilizer where it joins the empennage, to it's corresponding shadow point. Then do the same for the Leading and Trailing edges of the wing where it joins the fuselage, and the top of the main gear to it's corresponding shadow point. Now see if they appear to be parallel. They're not ? Hmmmmm....... something not quite right here.... :E

Also take a look at the lower white coloured section of the engine cowling forward of the main gear, and you'll see five or six "ripples" which can only be caused by the "clone stamp" function in Adobe Photoshop.

Like Monty, I'm not doubting the existance of such a machine, but I'm 'fraid to say that in the case of this photo Tiger, you have been well and truly had :O

cheers

Gunnadothat.

Not so. The fuselage length is such that the sun's rays strike the wing and horizontal stabiliser at two different vectors. The following formula will explain the displaced shaddow:

The vector angle from P1 to P2 is
d = sqrt[(x1-x2)2+ (y1-y2)2].
The coordinates of the point dividing the line segment P1P2 in the ratio r/s are:
([r x2+s x1]/[r+s], [r y2+s y1]/[r+s]).
As a special case, when r = s, the midpoint of the line segment has coordinates
([x2+x1]/2,[y2+y1]/2).

Simple school kid stuff really!

They are not "ripples"! They are JATO mounts, required when the wind is less than 40 kts on the nose for take off!!

Sunny Woomera

disco_air
23rd Apr 2006, 13:07
You guys suck. :yuk: Get a sense of humour!

Gunnadothat
23rd Apr 2006, 13:13
You guys suck. :yuk: Get a sense of humour!

Get a better person to do the photo editing first :D That one was child's play :E

cheers

GDT:ok:

Navajo King
23rd Apr 2006, 13:22
Gunnadothat,

I think you may be wrong about the lines having to be parallel. One of the laws of physics (can't remember the name) says something about the difficulty of measuring shadows in photographs. Because of the angle between the camera and the light source, shadows can never be measured accurately in the photograph.

Although in this photo the shadow may appear to be wrong, it is probably 100% correct.

NK.

Dry_Twotter
23rd Apr 2006, 13:22
Regarding the fuel truck - I believe the company obtained a new fuel truck about 2 years ago, following a collision between the old one and an aircraft taking off on a taxiway (by mistake). The new truck was slightly longer but otherwise looked identical to the old one. I guess thats the new truck in the c209 photo
Funnily enough, I actually knew the bloke who drove the truck. His name was Dwayne, and he was telling me the accident occured one day while he was driving along the tarmac. Another 207-900 was attempting to take-off on RWY 16, but mistook the RWY for a parallel taxiway - and due to the pilot's excessive aft CoG, visability was reduced over the nose, and a colision resulted. Dwayne was immediately sent to counciling, and still today, is deeply affected by those events that unfolded on that faithful day 2 years ago.:(
Also, i think you'll find Gunnadothat that those ripples were caused by yet another collision related to reduced foward visability.
DT

Gunnadothat
23rd Apr 2006, 13:57
And I know Phil the meteorologist who just happened to arrange for the two clouds in the picture to be in exactly the same location and size as the undoctored Airliners.net photo ;)

It's been a fun half-hour.... thanks for putting the smile on my dial, lads.

GDT:)

scrambler
23rd Apr 2006, 20:50
Nav-King,
That law of photography is year 11 Physics, Vanka's Law

TLAW
23rd Apr 2006, 21:52
Anyone know if there is one available for hire on the east coast? Thanks.

sailing
23rd Apr 2006, 23:57
[quote=Tiger 77
Sailing,

Any tips on flying the aircraft?

Cheers,

Tiger.[/quote]
Tiger, it flies very much like the 207, but when landing you have to flare just a touch higher as due to the extra length the gear is lower relative to the pilot seat in the landing attitude. The other trick is to flare slightly earlier, due to the control lag. This is caused by stretch due the length of the control cables, which delays elevator response by a fraction of a second, but you soon get used to it.
Of course, as in all older Cessnas, you have to make sure that the seat detents are fully engaged in the track. On the early 209s, the tracks were in one piece right through the cabin and this was the cause of the fuel truck accident mentioned by Dry Twotter. The pilot was just opening the throttle when the nosewheel hit a bump, and the throttle jerked forward. The acceleration caused the seat to slide back down the tracks into the rear of the cabin(there were no rear seats due skydive ops). It fell off the tracks and as it tipped over, the pilot disappeared into the tailcone headfirst, strapped to the seat. The aircaft, still accelerating, impacted the fuel truck in an extreme nose high attitude and suffered damage to the fuselage skin (apparent in the photos). What no-one had realised was that one of the anacondas (see my previous post) had been pregnant and had given birth during the flight from Ecuador a few days before. The babies had been hibernating under the floor and were thrown out and into the cab of the truck, causing Dwayne extreme distress.
cheers, Sailing.

Chadzat
24th Apr 2006, 02:26
Sounded like quite a harrowing experience! :eek:
Does anyone know if I need an endorsement on the 207-900? I have a CPL, but someone said I need an endorsement on this type of aircraft before I can get a job.
Also, I was also told that to carry anacondas you need a special add-on course to your Dangerous Goods Certificate entitled S.N.A.K.E-
Special iNdemnity for Anaconda Keeping and Export

disco_air
24th Apr 2006, 03:58
And I know Phil the meteorologist who just happened to arrange for the two clouds in the picture to be in exactly the same location and size as the undoctored Airliners.net photo

I think you'll find that those clouds appear the same due to a local orographic effect that produces clouds of similar appearance for many days during a certain time of the year. :rolleyes:

...Disco

Continental-520
24th Apr 2006, 08:20
Guys I'd appreciate if you could stop taking the pi$$ out of a very memorable time of my career in aviation. I was actually the head of check and training on the C209 for a company based in Riga, Latvia many moons ago when C209was more common.

We used them for all sorts of things, real workhorses. We had one which came with factory fitted spoilers too, cause due to the reduced visibility over the dash when loaded up, you really had no idea how much runway you had left, so aerodynamic braking was a must.

I've still got an old POH if anyone wants it. Trade it for a C209RG manual, if anyone out there still has one. Heard they were rarer still.

sailing
24th Apr 2006, 08:44
Sounded like quite a harrowing experience! :eek:
Does anyone know if I need an endorsement on the 207-900? I have a CPL, but someone said I need an endorsement on this type of aircraft before I can get a job.
Also, I was also told that to carry anacondas you need a special add-on course to your Dangerous Goods Certificate entitled S.N.A.K.E-
Special iNdemnity for Anaconda Keeping and Export No endorsement required for the 207-900, but you need a twin endorsement for the 207-900T which is, you guessed it, the twin engine version. It has two IO 470s up front, one behind the other. The rear one drives by 2 gears to a shaft over the top of both engines, which turns a left handed prop (the gears reverse direction of rotation), and the forward engine uses a hy-vo chain to drive a hollow shaft concentric with the other. This has a right handed prop just behind the LH one, so you end up with contra-rotating props and no P-factor to worry about. The beauty of it is, you can shut down the front engine (NB. it drives the rear prop!) in the cruise, feather the prop, and get really good fuel burn figures. To re-start is simplicity itself, you just un-feather the rear prop and the wash from the front one spins the engine up! This is known to old -900T drivers as "getting a blow job!":E
We didn't get the S.N.A.K.E. Certificate as it was a lot of paperwork for just a one-off job, and we were only importing.
Cheers, Sailing.

OpsNormal
24th Apr 2006, 09:44
Sunny Wooms added:

The vector angle from P1 to P2 is
d = sqrt[(x1-x2)2+ (y1-y2)2].
The coordinates of the point dividing the line segment P1P2 in the ratio r/s are:
([r x2+s x1]/[r+s], [r y2+s y1]/[r+s]).
As a special case, when r = s, the midpoint of the line segment has coordinates
([x2+x1]/2,[y2+y1]/2).

Isn't that just the long winded way of saying that the shadows are only different because the nose of the aircraft is so much nearer the sun, thus in fact taking advantage of one of the square laws of nature in so much as opposite shadows attract due to, in no small measure, the light refracted by the air sinking above the cooler shaded tarmac under the fuse interacting with the rising air above the tarmac in the open (which causes both tortional and lateral buckling of the reflected light), inducing a refraction into the negative co-efficient of the cast shadow?

Simple really.... ;)

Tige. Deadset priceless.:}

the wizard of auz
24th Apr 2006, 11:22
Jazus, Ops. Mate if you start that caper while we're drinking, I'm outta there. :eek:

OpsNormal
24th Apr 2006, 12:39
Jazus, Ops. Mate if you start that caper while we're drinking, I'm outta there. :eek:

I seem to remember that this sort of talk was enhanced by the addition of what may well be measured as a "industrial quantity" of "conversation enhancer".

And you still wonder why we were shot down about 9.5 hours later....? "Nah mate, you don't fly in that fast".... "Ah, OK..." ;)

P-A-F. No such animal in my CV....:}

the wizard of auz
24th Apr 2006, 14:58
:} :eek: ;) you certainly made sure there was no lift left to induce any sort of PIO or ballooning. :} :) I thought all that fancy talk was to try and distract my attention from the wonderous sights we were beholding whilst working on the industial quan tittys.......Oh, isnt that fraudian?. :} :eek:

Zulu_One
24th Apr 2006, 15:42
Getting back on topic'n'sh!t, Task Master 77 was onto something, however no disrespect to the recent earl of piper however their research was flawed in-so-far as the authenticity of the original photograph.

I used to be in the employ of the 207-900 operator and still retain an original slide of the establishment (Now-a-days given the title of Club Canadian or something) and can provide the anonymous aviation public with a more complete historical depiction of event, as follows:

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e294/zulu_one/dhc5-800.jpg
The above photo was taken some years ago, prior to some fuel truck accident.
AFAIK Dwayne is now flying 206's out of the Kimberley somewhere btw ...

Photographed above is the DHC5-800 ( I know this because the -900 has winglets and 2 overwing exits, as well as the infamous, flawed and fatal eye-brow windows). Not sure if it's still in operation today though, I heard it was being used instead of PA-31s at some company to operate 6080ft ops ...

Z1

Lodown
24th Apr 2006, 21:06
I seem to remember the C209 being a byproduct of Cessna's attempt to create a short field landing version of the 207 with a hook arrester. Unfortunately, the test pilot caught the top of the barb wire fence on the approach instead of the intended arrester cable. Cessna added a couple of windows in anticipation that no one in CASA would notice the difference in the certification tests.

Hey Tiger, this company in India offering you the job; have they taken a deposit to hold your job slot? If not, I'd like to apply.

sailing
24th Apr 2006, 21:47
Lowdown, you're dead right there. :ok:They re-thought the system with the 208 and developed the stretch version before the short-field trials. The new system uses a fence in front of the aircraft, so if anything goes wrong you just end up with the standard short body version. There have been some trials for CASA approval, at Caloundra. :E

Dry_Twotter
25th Apr 2006, 10:41
207-900T which is, you guessed it, the twin engine version. It has two IO 470s up front, one behind the other. The rear one drives by 2 gears to a shaft over the top of both engines, which turns a left handed prop (the gears reverse direction of rotation), and the forward engine uses a hy-vo chain to drive a hollow shaft concentric with the other. This has a right handed prop just behind the LH one, so you end up with contra-rotating props and no P-factor to worry about. The beauty of it is, you can shut down the front engine (NB. it drives the rear prop!) in the cruise, feather the prop, and get really good fuel burn figures. To re-start is simplicity itself, you just un-feather the rear prop and the wash from the front one spins the engine up! This is known to old -900T drivers as "getting a blow job!"

Sailing, I used to fly a 207-900T in Western Zambia. The rear engine was a bit unreliable (cooling issues), so single engine Takeoffs were common practice. I think the seat rails were modified in this one, so if the pilot seat flies back, it only goes back so far as the 3rd row, instead of the tailcone. Our engineers also installed a switch that was activated when the pilot seat hit the stops back in the 3rd row, so the autopilot (single axis, pitch only) was automaticly engaged in ALT HOLD mode.
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g223/Tiger_Guts/209T.jpg

Many "blow jobs" were done in this aircraft

DT

disco_air
25th Apr 2006, 11:21
Gold, DT. Solid gold :p

...Disco

Continental-520
25th Apr 2006, 11:30
I used to fly a 207-900T in Western Zambia

I always wondered why the C209s I checked and trained on in Riga had Danish rego's. I'm intrigued to see that the variants in Western Zambia do too.

In fact, looking up my logbook, OY-SUC used to be a regular C209, then it was converted to an amphibious C206 after a landing accident caused by uncontrollability due to a too far forward C of G, sent to Kunnunurra, WA, where it was used for training in the Wheeland Flight Academy. It came to grief a second time there after a long tenure and was then reconverted to a C209-900T as is pictured above.

The rear engine was a bit unreliable (cooling issues)

Resilient busses nevertheless! ;)

ThoughtCrime
25th Apr 2006, 12:00
....where it was used for training in the Wheeland Flight Academy.

Training syllabus for the C209 Conversion Course delivered by Wheeland Flight Academy:

1. Basic Handling "Deh what are you using trim for?"
2. Weight and Balance "Deh dont count my weight"
3. Radiotelephony "Deh what was his callsign???" (on short final)
4. Peak performance "Deh go around the hills
5. Engine management "Deh you'll clear the mags on takeoff"

All flights include full demonstrations by the instructor "Deh its different from the right hand seat"

That poor C209 came to grief in Kununurra during an IFR flight returning from taking tourists to the Sands Resort in Kalumburu (destroyed by cyclone only a week later), landing on the Diversion Dam wall and tearing both wings off. Synopsis was the "experienced" pilot had descended below the minima and landed on the diversion dam by mistake. The pilot claimed he was "familiar with the local area".

With the rarity of C209 specific parts, they could no longer continue to operate it, and ended up being bought by a wealthy game park owner in Western Zambia (still with the danish rego). Herr Dry_Twotter enters the picture here, ferrying it from Kununurra.

TC

sailing
25th Apr 2006, 14:12
DT, that's a great photo of the -900T, you can tell its a later series with the short seat tracks by the long rear window and the position of the main gear. It was moved back to stop tailstrike with an aft CG. That auto pilot feature would be good during a re-start if your concentration was distracted by a blow job. It could sometimes take a while to come
on line.
;)

OpsNormal
25th Apr 2006, 22:17
And there was I thinking that days and threads like this one had become a thing of the past... This has been a fantastic relief to much of the usual moaning.

Good on yerz.:}

Tiger 77
26th Apr 2006, 03:25
Thanks to everyone who helped me out and shared their 209 experiences. I found it very interesting to read.

I have finially been able to find a 209 in Aus to get a bit of experience on. Its just an old unregistered machine being kept on a remote farm in WA, but its better than nothing. I'm heading over there next week and the owner and I are going to see if we can get the engine running.

Also had a quick chat to my new boss in India. Sounds like the job is mainly IFR charter ops for a large mining company. I'll be flying mainly the c209 but also a Super Guppy on floats and a Buffalo with extra wings (ie. bi-plane).

Cheers,

Tiger.

Led Zep
26th Apr 2006, 09:53
Sounds great!
Remember if that doesn't work out for you, you can always start your CHTR company out of KNX with those bi-plane DHC5s, and land on Lake Argyle with the Super Guppy. I'm looking to do the same with some A300-600STs. :}

Zulu_One
26th Apr 2006, 12:46
a Buffalo with extra wings (ie. bi-plane).

Might be able to help you out with that Tiges, this a/c was doin endorsements in this pic a mate sent me.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e294/zulu_one/dhc5-900.jpg

I'll find out who the operator is of the DHC5-900, apparently they're sellin up so it might help you out get your knx op off the drawing board ... I believe he has some floats for it too but they get chopped up when the lower props are going, so amphib ops can only be 2 engine for takeoff until the floats are jettisoned, the other engines can then be suck-started from the propwash/slipstream of the top two, as opposed to the 'blow-job' starting procedure outlined above ... anyway i dont think he gives basic-blow-start endorsements.

Z1

Northern Chique
26th Apr 2006, 14:09
Nothing like modifying the front facia to extend well beyond the roofline of the hanger itself. Hell of a way to wash the aircraft inside!

sailing
29th Apr 2006, 00:48
Nothing like modifying the front facia to extend well beyond the roofline of the hanger itself. Hell of a way to wash the aircraft inside!
Bit less of the sarcasm NC! That gap in the roof is to allow departures by the C150 VT, the vertical takeoff derivative of the C150 which my granny used to fly on black ops for the CIA. It was going to be VTOL, but the FAA wouldn't approve the STC for the reversing mirrors and backing down through the roof without them was a bit dodgy. I think it caused an accident with a fuel truck once......

Northern Chique
29th Apr 2006, 09:14
Heeheheee sure was, I was needin' sleep real bad! But ir kinda looked like someone slid the lid back on the washing machine ready to do a load.

The other thought that came to mind was the secret development of charter ops personal VTOL units... Oh yeah, that is a C150 :hmm: :ok:

Ex FSO GRIFFO
17th Sep 2006, 12:00
AAAAAHHHHH!!!

The C-209TT/BF/DT............

Now T H E R E W A S an AEROPLANE!!!!

Turbo'd, counterrotating props, blown wing - yep - wing!, double thronomisters.........

And, in a forty knot wind can take-off VERT!!!

FRV to KU for the pizzas.....:ok:
Dems was de days...:ok:

ContactMeNow
17th Sep 2006, 14:35
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e294/zulu_one/dhc5-800.jpg

Is it just me of is the PAX in row 4 giving us the moon? Two excellent aircraft in that picture, too bad there isnt more of them flying these days... :ok:

Led Zep
17th Sep 2006, 15:31
Is it just me of is the PAX in row 4 giving us the moon? Two excellent aircraft in that picture, too bad there isnt more of them flying these days... :ok:

Nooooooo, that's the LAME calling for crack cam to inspect the rear structure (ring gears) for fatigue. I hear this particular C209 has done over 80,000 hours since new and never skipped a beat, but better safe then sorry! :}

disco_air
18th Sep 2006, 00:35
about time someone put this worthwhile discussion at the top of the boards again! the other stuff was boring me. :}

...disco

Chimbu chuckles
18th Sep 2006, 02:01
Great thread...first laugh out loud thread I have seen on PPrune in years.:D

jafa in da hood
18th Sep 2006, 02:04
AAHH yes the old faithful C209 'Widowmaker'.
Having done many thousands of hours flying the queen of the skies, I have perfected the art of taming this wonderful over powered beast of a machine.
As I hail from New Zealand, most of my work involves possom recovery and rehabilitation back into their natural habitat, ie squashed on the side of the road.
As I have had to fly the 209 in the bad wx configuration at all times for these operations, I also developed a method of putting my arm out the window, while flying at 20", 2400rpm, the magnificent 209 WILL FLY SIDEWAYS!! This allows me to grab a possum by its tail from the top of the tree and place it inside the aircrafts huge cabin.
A fellow partner of mine once managed to pile around 2000 of these furry wee f:mad: ers in the spacious cabin although claimed that after 1800 his arm was rather tired, and fuel was becoming an issue.
After years of performing these ops, I came to the conclusion that helicopters are for wimps.
Jafa

milkbottle
18th Sep 2006, 02:22
I am a proud owner of the wonderful C209 specimen, and I have a long standing relationship with the ole girl, she has stood by me thru 7 marriages (4 divorces) and 43,000 hours of hobbs time, (only 28,000 of these were in the air but I log via the ardmore system).
I currently use 2 of these aircraft, one for topdressing and the other for hedge-trimming. Like jafa i use the "arm out the window" technique while hedge-trimming, and have also found that this technique helps the glide performance of this machine, increasing it to approximately 1 metre every 790'.
Just a warning to Tiger, when you get your rating remember no more then 1.6 degrees nose up as this aircraft has similar tail strike tendencies to Singapore Airline jets. Good luck to you tho, im sure you will most enjoy flying this OPB (over-performing-beast)
milky

disco_air
18th Sep 2006, 02:46
so how did that checkflight go tiger?

what was covered, so some aspiring C209 drivers can get a heads up? :confused:

...disco

Tiger 77
18th Sep 2006, 04:11
G'day Disco...

The checkflight was very interesting! At first the machine flew like a plate of mashed pumpkin. Trying to land the thing reminded me of the time I was riding a horse and it jumped off a 30 storey building. Glad the horse softened the impact for me.

But anyway... Once i'd gotten use to the thing it was kind of relaxing. Very stable due to the long fuselage and very responsive controls in the cruise.

Usual stuff for the checkride, although steep turns were forbidden in this particular aircraft because they had temporarily removed the wing struts. I was told that the HF antenna would help hold the wings on.

In the end I didn't take the job and came back to Aus. I decided against living in India, and the wild croc injury didn't help either :ouch: .

Cheers,
Tiger.

scrambler
18th Sep 2006, 08:00
I hope this isn't too far off the topic, but I had heard of a Turbine conversion for the 209, does anyone know if there is anyone who could do the conversion and some details of what they are putting up front.
A nice pic would be good too!

Woomera
18th Sep 2006, 08:42
Scrambler. Dry Twotter posted a photo of the turbine conversion prototype C418 (so designated as a double C219).

The engine installed is the Armstrong-Siddeley Double Mamba gas turbine turboprop engine, used mostly in the Fairey Gannet anti-submarine aircraft developed for the Fleet Air Arm in the late 1940's.

The Double Mamba (also known as the Twin Mamba) was a development of the Armstrong-Siddeley Mamba with two Mambas driving contra-rotating propellers through a combining gearbox. Engine starting was by cartridge, however, forced air restart was achieved in flight. One engine could be shut down in flight to conserve fuel.

The engine installed in the prototype C418 was recovered from a derelict RN Gannet.

ContactMeNow
18th Sep 2006, 12:03
I hope this isn't too far off the topic, but I had heard of a Turbine conversion for the 209, does anyone know if there is anyone who could do the conversion and some details of what they are putting up front.
A nice pic would be good too!

Many Drop Zones throughout Australia have placed orders for this model with the turbine. The performance stats for it are that it will out climb any C208 or 750XL whilst taking over 20 skydivers.....now we are getting into skyvan/twotter material here :8

It has also been "rumoured" that there is a newer model coming out (would of been similar that that one you flew in your check flight) the strutless C209 series..... This series is being designed to compete with its brother the high performance single C210...a RG model is also in the pipeline....

CMN :ok:

Led Zep
18th Sep 2006, 13:53
CMN, you might want to confirm your sources are reliable - check this prototype out! :}

http://p.airliners.net/photos/middle/9/0/9/0459909.jpg

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/0459909/M/
That secret hangar must have a damn good team of airframe engineers to turn a C209 into...well, I guess that must be the C211! You were right about it being RG and strutless. :E

ContactMeNow
19th Sep 2006, 03:03
Well it appears that your sources are alot more credable than mine LZ, but as you said it is strutless and RG :E

Ex FSO GRIFFO
19th Sep 2006, 03:30
G'day ZEP,

THAT ONE MUST be the VERY FIRST prototype.......it is WAY TOOOO SHORT!!
I think I will await the 'Stretched 18 - 22 Seat' Version.....Strutless and 'RG' is Real Good!..
My 'deposit' cheque is in the mail....:ok:

ABX
22nd Feb 2007, 04:49
I have found this to be an extremely valuable thread, full of great information to use in my forthcoming aviation career.:ok:

I'm sure I will be able to impress potential employers with my knowledge of the c209 (c207-900) and I owe it all to this thread.

A big thank you to all for doing your bit to enhance my career.:}

ABX
22nd Feb 2007, 04:52
Just goes to show that some of the best threads on Proon are found in the pages further down the list.

Perhaps I should get a c209 endo in the hopes of expanding my aviation exposure and filling those 'hard to fill' vacancies in GA?

I'd be keen to hear any stories from others who have trained on it.:E

Cheers,

ABX

Capt Wally
22nd Feb 2007, 10:20
................there is the C205, 206, 207, 208 then the No's jump to the C210...............was wondering where the C209 got to.................!:-)........................

capt Wally :-)

Tiger 77
22nd Feb 2007, 11:40
................there is the C205, 206, 207, 208 then the No's jump to the C210...............was wondering where the C209 got to.................!:-)........................

capt Wally :-)

Wally,

C209... officially known as a C207-900, however Cessna later advertised it as a C209 to differentiate it from the standard 207. Cessna was originally planning on calling the c210 a 209, however obviously this could no longer occur since the 207-900 was advertised as a C209. So really the C209 designator was only used for a very short advertising campaign, and then forgotten. :sad:

Also, while reading my student doctor training books I noticed that an air ambulance service overseas were using C204's about 40 years ago. They were C182's which had been modified in various ways to accommodate 2 stretchers. One interesting mod was to convert it to a low wing design, and move the engine to the right wingtip thus allowing a stretcher to be stored in the nose. ;)

Cheers,
Tiger.

disco_air
22nd Feb 2007, 22:50
...about time someone put this thread back there it belongs.... the top :D

...disco

YesTAM
23rd Feb 2007, 10:30
RVAC has just concluded a deal to get one of these rare beasts on hire shortly. trouble is we don't have enough spare headsets for all the pax.

transonic dragon
25th Feb 2007, 05:28
I'm a bit disturbed by this post, altogether too cheery and happy for PPrune. Not enough misery and pathos, so I'll get things back on track...

1. How about that MCL? We're all doomed.
2. Jet* don't pay enough!!
3. CadetsCadetsCadetsCadetsCadetsCadetsCadets
4. VB don't pay enough!
5. CASACASACASACASACASACASACASACASACASACASA
6. InstructorsInstructorsInstructorsInstructorsInstructorsInstr uctors
7. No-one's got any airmanship these day!!
8. Do we say "Leaving 9000" or "Left 9000"

Let's hope that gets things back on an even keel.

Creampuff
25th Feb 2007, 07:21
And it carries 8 pax, with full fuel and bags!:D

Ex FSO GRIFFO
25th Feb 2007, 09:32
P R I C E L E S S ! ! ! .........
But absolutely no bloody good for de
Bungles ......:} :E

Towering Q
25th Feb 2007, 11:35
At last....a replacement for the ageing Chieftain/402 fleet.:ok:

Capt Wally
27th Feb 2007, 04:08
..............tnxs "tiger"...............I think !.....................

Capt Wally :-)

OZZI_PPL
6th Mar 2007, 05:51
How bout a 206 Tailwheel with Tundra tyres?
http://picasaweb.google.com/nathan.ashton1/FlyingPhotos/photo#5038699035750140370http://lh6.google.com/image/nathan.ashton1/Re0O46v9ieI/AAAAAAAAAGo/KCk9zKhrMl8/s288/206taildragger.jpg
http://www.pprune.org/forums/%3Ctable%20style=%22width:auto;%22%3E%3Ctr%3E%3Ctd%3E%3Ca%20 href=%22http://picasaweb.google.com/nathan.ashton1/FlyingPhotos/photo#5038699035750140370%22%3E%3Cimg%20src=%22http://lh6.google.com/image/nathan.ashton1/Re0OE6v9idI/AAAAAAAAAGc/Gzijtw9kb0E/s288/206taildragger.jpg%22%3E%3C/a%3E%3C/td%3E%3C/tr%3E%3Ctr%3E%3Ctd%20style=%22font-family:arial,sans-serif;%20font-size:66%;%20text-align:right%22%3EFrom%20%3Ca%20href=%22http://picasaweb.google.com/nathan.ashton1/FlyingPhotos%22%3EFlying%20Photos%3C/a%3E%3C/td%3E%3C/tr%3E%3C/table%3Ehttp://www.pprune.org/forums/%3Ctable%20style=%22width:auto;%22%3E%3Ctr%3E%3Ctd%3E%3Ca%20 href=%22http://picasaweb.google.com/nathan.ashton1/FlyingPhotos/photo#5038699035750140370%22%3E%3Cimg%20src=%22http://lh6.google.com/image/nathan.ashton1/Re0OE6v9idI/AAAAAAAAAGc/Gzijtw9kb0E/s288/206taildragger.jpg%22%3E%3C/a%3E%3C/td%3E%3C/tr%3E%3Ctr%3E%3Ctd%20style=%22font-family:arial,sans-serif;%20font-size:66%;%20text-align:right%22%3EFrom%20%3Ca%20href=%22http://picasaweb.google.com/nathan.ashton1/FlyingPhotos%22%3EFlying%20Photos%3C/a%3E%3C/td%3E%3C/tr%3E%3C/table%3E

NZDP
6th Mar 2007, 06:08
Oh yip they go well. Here is another (this one's real but)

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p194/NZDP/20620Taildragger-1.jpg

turnarounds
7th Mar 2007, 03:29
Does the 209 come in a tailwheel version ..........................

gaunty
1st Jun 2007, 04:11
Yes, its main function is to solve any W + B issues by keeping the rear fuselage off the ground long enough for the elevator to take over.:ok:

Howard Hughes
1st Jun 2007, 04:20
Did it take you almost three months to think up that witty reply Gaunty?;)

Dogimed
1st Jun 2007, 04:47
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k182/nzmarty/Airbus.jpg
In breaking news, Airbus has finally worked out how to remove the excess weight on the A380.
Dog
:}:}:}

gaunty
1st Jun 2007, 05:26
eh eh eh its was the other now locked thread that sent me here and I had a bit of a chuckle rereading it.:p especially the weight and balance test, to the efficacy of which I can testify.:E

I think I sold and delivered the last brand spanker out of the factory full house everything. Was VH-BRU ?? dont know where it's gone.

Flight Number
7th Feb 2009, 17:40
Hey guys I dont want to sound like an idiot, but can someone please tell me whether a Cessna 209 actually exists? I cant find any info about it online or in the books I have at home. Are they really that rare?

Another Question; I'm flying a C172 on PPL navs at the moment and I know that if I had all four seats occupied my fuel load would be significantly reduced. So would this be the same for a C209 if all ten seats were occupied with say 100kg adults?

Thanks for your help guys.

Peter Fanelli
7th Feb 2009, 18:45
Hey guys I dont want to sound like an idiot, but can someone please tell me whether a Cessna 209 actually exists?

Sorry, too late. :E

yes of course it exists, Kringle Air has quite a large fleet of them.

Fantome
7th Feb 2009, 19:32
Does it actually exist!!!!!! Do you not believe your own eyes??? Research all the highly authentic, technically brilliant posts that started on this subject nearly three years ago and you will have your imagination stretched. True. Stretched versions of all sorts have been around since before Clyde Cessna cashed in his chips. Fact is though, more bums on seats accounted for more abortions of aeroplanes than even the poms ever got off their drawing boards. Curiously enough my cousin Slim Pickings in Kansas has the very first C209 in his hangar. He's heavily into oddities. If you're ever over there I can put you in touch. He's one of those extraordinally generous types too. If you wanted to go for a fly or even have a lend . . . .

Stationair8
7th Feb 2009, 19:34
No the Cessna C209 was specifically designed to carry 10 adults, four hours fuel plus alternate fuel. The Cessna engineers and marketing department thought that it was the ideal replacement for the aging fleet of Cessna C205/6/7's operated in Australia. The aircraft would have a derated Continental IO-520 mated with a four bladed prop made of Kevlar for environmental concerns, improved seating for the pilot, upgraded avionics, panaroma windows for passengers, improved air conditioning, cargo pack option, large tyres and fly by wire for all control surfaces.
However due to the forthcoming recession no Australian operators took advantage of this special offer.
Another reason was that CASA wanted the aircraft operated two crew, TAWS system fitted system, CVR fitted, pilots to under go simulator sessions every six months at the newly opened Cessna Single Simcentre at Bagot Road, a review of the upgrade to command to C209 from the FO position as Casa noted a number of failures with overseas operators.

Nose wheel first
7th Feb 2009, 23:26
I'm glad to see this thread is making a comeback!!!

Was chatting to Tiger about this thread the other day.

The good old C209.... what a machine. 10 pob, full tanks, full bags/cargo and 5 hours endurance plus reserves. Our company was talking about installing the long range belly fuel tanks which give an extra 4 hours endurance but CASA won't give us an EO for the conversion....... something about having that much fuel on board would allow the company to make the pilot exceed flight time when operated under the IFR....... too bad!!!

Lasiorhinus
8th Feb 2009, 03:31
My local flying school has just bought a C209 - it's in the process of being ferried to Australia from Africa via Denmark as we speak.

They will be offering endorsements in the 209 that only take 5 hours flying time. This is a great deal, because the C210 endorsement takes ten hours.

the wizard of auz
8th Feb 2009, 03:38
Bwaaahahahaha. :} did you ever finish that lance endorsement? you must have been almost finished it by the time you left. :}:E

Lasiorhinus
8th Feb 2009, 03:42
Never got it signed off in my logbook. I'm furious, with the amount I paid for that endorsement...:E

Stationair8
8th Feb 2009, 05:53
Casa also wanted serviceable de-icing fitted to the Cessna C209 operated in Northern Australia, likewise the Captain had to hold a full ATPL with 1000 hours in the C207 prior to under command training on the C209 and the FO had to have 500 hours command in the C207 within in the last four months. Casa will not be issuing any dispenastion to operators with low time pilots wishing to upgrade.

Cessna have offered a number of incentives to various operators to get sales up and running for the C209 an this includes:

1. Internet connection for the C209,

2. MP3 capability,

3. Blue tooth capable,

4. Cessna Avionics,

5. Paint Scheme of your choice,

6. Pilot ICUS scheme available for low time pilots,

7. Cessna approved hose, bucket and plane wash for each pilot on staff.

Nose wheel first
8th Feb 2009, 09:45
Stationair8, due to the constraints of CAO 48 I hear CASA are considering allowing FO's attempting to reach their 500hrs in four months to log C209 time accrued on Flight Sim. :}

This should be a great employment advantage for new pilots looking for their first job as they can take an FO position without actually ever flying the aircraft. It should also cut down on training costs considerably.

Ex FSO GRIFFO
8th Feb 2009, 10:48
Hasn't anybody told you lot!!

Bah! Humbug!!

The FOs job on the 209 is to occupy the rear most seat, which is a little vertically adjustable arrangement and, with his feet thru the horizontally cut / vertically aligned hatch, use same to keep tail from dragging on ground until full elevator authority is achieved.

He/she then works his /her way fo'rad, to assist in fwd c of g movement, and to exercise complete control over the dual thronomisters which can be operated only from the RH seat due to pilot workload, P - factor, and torque.

It works in the reverse sense on landing.......

Its in the POH!!! Honestly!!

longrass
8th Feb 2009, 11:04
Just wanted to add this article from NT News today,

CSG ANNOUNCE NEW AIRCRAFT PURCHASES
Darwin technology group CSG Ltd. today announced its purchase of 3 Cessna 207-900 aircraft, after its loss of a Chieftan aircraft in Fridays crash off East Point Reserve.

A source inside CSG has told the Eggbeater that due to the inability of certain pilots, who due to a CASA inquest will not be named, have reported to the company that the CSU/RG aircraft currently operated by the group have significant difficulty in successfully completing water landings. It has been stated by pilots working on the airfield that the aircraft, (207-900), will be alot easier to fly by the CSG pilots due to the fact that the aircraft has only one engine, and that having two engines has been proven to be both expensive, (due to insurance premiums and excess for that matter), and useless for its single engine operation.

The new aircraft ordered by the company come fitted with fixed flotation devices of a similar design to those of Paspaley Pearling Company operating next door to the hangar owned by CSG. The flotation devices are said to contain bladders, used to store avgas, a lighter than water fuel used to run the aircrafts single high performance engine. This will not only increase it effective flight time to 12 hours but will increase the efficiency of the floats should the company wish to continue sea and water landings.

A spokesperson for Cessna has said the new state-of-the-art aircraft are perfect for operations into Darwin and Arnhem land, "due to the extreme lifting capabilities and range of the aircraft, it is able to travel long distances, carrying sometimes up to 10 adults, 3 children, 4 dogs and several of the mistereous tv's carried from town to town from one side of the NT to the other. This will be not only a lifeline to the people in the remote communities, but also to the CSG employees who travel to these remote areas, carrying out repairs on the computer systems funded by the Federal Government that have been ruined by missuse, fire, flood, bodily feces and porn viruses."

The new aircraft are due to be delivered late next month. A representitive for the company has said that a service will be held at the Bagot Road Community to officialy commerarate the lauch of the new aircraft early April. All wishing to attend are urged not to carry pornography or alcohol into the community, however it is of custom to bring, (as a gift to the residents), a small container housing either petrol or metholayted spirits. NT Police also urge all those attending to bring a large supply of cigarettes and dollar coins to help out the brothers and sisters there.

Tiger 77
8th Feb 2009, 13:05
Well well well... it’s amazing that with all the magnificent flying machines available today, a thread about the rare little C209 can continue to grow three years after it was started. Guys this is one amazing aircraft! I now have 2000 hrs on the machine and still love it. Although strangely enough I still haven’t found a POH for it :(

It’s really funny that at the start so many people refused to believe me that such an aircraft even existed! I think that attitude has finally disappeared and although most of you will never get the chance to see one in real life, you can accept that there are 209's buzzing around the outback as we speak.

One of my most memorable experiences with the 209 involved transporting 27 Emu's from Calcutta to some place in China. We didn’t have any cages available so we just squashed them into the cabin. There was even one sitting in the co-pilots seat, and he (or she) helped heaps by reading the checklists and poking me in the eye if I fell asleep. Anyway, as we were rolling down the runway for takeoff, I suddenly figured out that we were well over MTOW and it was too late to stop. Somehow the Emu's sensed the trouble and started flapping their wings which created enough extra lift to get the plane into the air. I couldn’t thank them enough after we landed! They were my best passengers ever, and to show my appreciation I decided to adopt them all as pets. :p

I think there’s a few more 209's in Aus now, compared to a few years ago. So don’t hold back if you get the chance for a ride in one. :ok:

Cheers
Tiger

an3_bolt
8th Feb 2009, 20:01
C209 - as one "super" airline once said "thats old technology".

I heard a rumor that there is a C219 in the pipeline.....something about 19 seats with an IO520 (with a Black Mac Prop), comes standard with nosewheel and tailwheel (wingtip wheels optional for PPL training version). I heard they have also formed a "pilots choice committee" to maintain some of the more loved Cessna features from previous aircraft such a miniscule air vents, bladder tanks, cerated trailing edge flaps at forehead height, random inflight door popper, etc.

Anyone heard anything more?

the wizard of auz
9th Feb 2009, 10:01
I heard the 219 has extra shoulder room so you can wear your full entitled amount of stripes on your uniform. I think the command on the 219 gets you six bars aside.

Sunfish
9th Feb 2009, 19:26
I heard a rumour that the 219 will come with a 38 airbag passenger and crew restraint system and Two ballistic parachute systems.

Dry_Twotter
14th Mar 2009, 06:20
Ive only logged 512 hrs so far but Im enjoying the challenge of the C209 immensly. Unfortunately we can not use one of our airstrips up here in PNG because even though the landing distance required is adequate (sea level, ISA+20), the length of the 209 means the aircraft can not be turned around for the takeoff (its a one way strip). One of the guys diverted there one day, and the only way to get out was to hire a chinook and chopper it out.

an3_bolt
14th Mar 2009, 06:46
There is a mod for installation of a Subaru WRX turbo for the IO-520 that can be purchased on-line...think it is about $50 or so. It is a simple bolt on in the field by the pilot man. Could solve all your problems with hot and high - as I hear those Columbia helicopter guys can get a bit heavy handed when doing the long lining with the C209. Bloody chopper pilots - don't know a good machine when they pick it up!! I hear that the Vertol 109 doesn't have the guts for plane extractions either!!!

With regards to the problem turning around at the one way trips - I used to take about 100kg of marbles in the front hatch with me and when I would pull up - just through them all on the ground and push the plane around on the marbles. Tried it with bubble gum balls one day - but it was a hopeless failure and got me into a gooey mess with the Chiefs daughter.......
If it is still too tight - old man Wilde used to have a PMA for the "C209 crevice cracker" - the mod where it is split in the middle and rejoined by suitcase clips. So you pull up - split the sucker in half and turn the 2 halves around and clip back together - Just like one of those David Copperfield cut the pretty lady in the suitcase in half trick. Gets a bit flexy in turbulence but it gives the rear seats a great smooth ride.

startingout
14th Mar 2009, 07:16
I heard about the WRX kit aswell, if your lucky and get the upgrade to the STI version they give you a full set of brembo's to help you pull up for those days you needed that extra doughnut. :ok:

birddog254
5th Oct 2010, 11:56
Without Daulbt the greatest thread to hit Pprune, bravo!:D

Sunfish
5th Oct 2010, 20:48
The new Garmin glass cockpit 209 is a ripper.

tail wheel
5th Oct 2010, 21:38
Cessna have announced the new model 236. Cessna 209 with Cessna 336 rear engine added.

Peter Fanelli
6th Oct 2010, 00:38
Watch for news of the upcoming 211.

Ex FSO GRIFFO
6th Oct 2010, 02:27
For those much more clevererer than moi......

P I C T U R E S ..?? Sunfish?

e.g I believe the 209 'all singing' Garmin display was developed by Hoyts......

Anybody..??:p:8:8

Peter Fanelli
6th Oct 2010, 12:26
Is it true that the C209 has a crew changing area so that the pilot can change from his mediocre work attire into full bling for the trip home via various public places?

QF825
28th Jul 2011, 13:11
Interesting that Emus, a flightless bird, can't manage to create enough lift to sustain their own weight but when 27 of them are combined, including their weight, they manage to assist the C209 in lifting off. Personally I never had any trouble getting the 209 off the ground even, just slightly, above MTOW ;)

compressor stall
28th Jul 2011, 13:24
There's something wonderful about the internet in how it preserves the wit of those who are sadly no longer with us. Their memory surfaces again when threads like this are brought up and it's like they never left.

It's been nearly a year mate. :{

Hope you haven't drunk the place dry yet. :ok:

The Green Goblin
28th Jul 2011, 21:37
Are you referring to Wiz?

Just realized I have not seen him on here for some time :eek:

Nose wheel first
28th Jul 2011, 22:32
Sending you a PM GG

Stationair8
30th Jul 2011, 09:04
Have Cessna, NT Government and the Bagot Road Community announced when the Bagot Road facility will be fully on line to cope with the 500 airframes ordered by Tiger for there regional airline programme?

1a sound asleep
30th Jul 2011, 14:40
I dont know whoever told you a 209 was a stretched 207. That's absolute rubbish. The 208 is the caravan which is a turbine. The design was to provide a training a.c suitable for transformation from piston to jet, without the need to fly a turbo prop.

They are specifically used in training Indian pilots stepping into jets. You wont find one for private hire in Australia. Australian operators like Jetstar dont require jet time to fly an A320, like other countries

All these previous people are talking crap. I doubt they have ever seen a 209 in real life.

If you need to be prepared for flying there is a manual for sale on ebay

Cessna Model 209 JET SKYWAGON Owner's Manual | eBay (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Cessna-Model-209-TURBO-SKYWAGON-1969-Owners-Manual-/260776751672?pt=US_Nonfiction_Book&hash=item3cb7817238)

http://i51.tinypic.com/ji27ug.jpg

JMEN
31st Jul 2011, 03:57
Infact so good is the 209 that Gippsland are actually trying to compete, the product looks far less superior but maybe close.

The many hours flown in the 209 are memorable, the takeoff performace as we all know was just outstanding, full load plus a bit for the boss, plus a bit for some extra bucks, 45 deg at the Rock, easy off she went...

Now will the GA10 be as good?

http://www.gippsaero.com/articles/files/Press%20Release%20GippsAero%20GA10%20progress%20update%20FIN AL%2002March2011.pdf

:D

Hasherucf
31st Jul 2011, 04:29
Is it true that the new 209 glass cockpit comes standard with Microsoft flight sim ? :rolleyes:

mason88
1st Aug 2011, 02:04
Only in the right hand seat so the FO can rack up a few more sim hours

Stationair8
3rd Aug 2011, 08:42
Cesna President of Pacific Operations, Chuck Meyer III has advised that NASA have almost completed stress testing of the first airframe and they are amazed at the strength and integrity of the recycled blue and green aluminium cans, used at the Bagot Rd facility.

Global Aviator
5th Mar 2021, 02:14
Considering how aviation is moving I thought bringing the C209 thread back to life would be perfect timing.

I haven’t tried the Garmin singing suite as yet, is it as good as reported?

The 209 I saw didn’t have the 236 rear engine upgrade, it had these amazing looking engines albeit very small attached to the top of the wing at the strut attachment point. I noticed the entire upper wing to be covered in black which I assume is some kind of solar panel?

megle2
5th Mar 2021, 04:10
Over 9 years since this topic was active proving how good the 209 continues as a work horse
I’ll bet there are a few airline types surprised to be back in the 209 left seat during these tough times.
Be interesting to hear how they are settling back in.

Ex FSO GRIFFO
5th Mar 2021, 04:51
And with no 'Cabin Staff' to do the pre-flight emergency demo, it would be 'interesting' to see how they 'restore law and order' to the pax, prior to T/O.....
Its like sumpting they haven't had to do for a while.....
Hey Bro??

p.s. I use the 'red & green can' method meself......(Hint for new Captains).

Mach1Muppet
5th Mar 2021, 05:56
Ive seen the conversions for this into a taildragger, quite a versatile aeroplane!

Stationair8
5th Mar 2021, 06:09
A lot of the heavy iron guys are failing the Fright Safety Course on the Cessna C209NG, apparently to much time on the glass cockpit, lack of handling skills, no analogue experience, no mechanical sympathy and no autopilot.

One of the local CP pilots reckons, the QF, Jetstar, Virgin and Tiger pilots need to give themselves and advantage and do the GA Job Ready Awareness Course available through a VET program($25,000 plus gst). not to mention the Certificate IV in aircraft washing, Certificate IX in unapproved GA aircraft maintenance, Certificate XXII in GA CRM course and Certifiacte XIX in Maintance Release Doctoring.

Barry another NT CP, who did not want to be named, said were reluctant to put airline guys in the C209, as they weren't prepared to pay a bond and would shoot through when the airlines started recruiting again down south.

Lead Balloon
6th Mar 2021, 22:11
I've heard that CASA is considering revoking the ASETPA approval for the 209NG, as a consequence of the risks arising from some of the issues touched on by Stationair8. That would be a 'body-blow' for the viability of the type in commercial operations in Australia.

Global Aviator
13th Mar 2021, 21:41
Leady nah they dodged a bullet and kept ASETPA with an ULC approval addition (8 hours from land).

I was sent a copy of the GA 209 readiness awareness course and must say I was impressed with how it’s been adapted and updated.

Interestingly though I see that under Part 61/141/28.45323(z) that no type specific rating/variance training is actually required. I’d suggest to any newbies to just try and grab a couple of niner hours. These aircraft are no doubt going to dominate.

Stationair8
14th Mar 2021, 01:43
Global Aviator, the C209NG is not a dinky toy GA plane this a proper type rating and needs to be flown by the numbers. It is not a quick two circuit check ride with some four stripe instructor, at your local flying school.

A copy of the training schedule, for week 1.

Day 1
1. Racism in the work place,
2. Diversity in the work place.
3. Discussion on transgender work place ethics
4. Sexual harassment and your rights.

Day 2
1. Overview on workplace diversity,
2. Discussion and focus group on reducing greenhouse gasses,
3. Overview on aboriginal heritage in General Aviation in Australia,
4. Human Resources and there role in the organisation.

Day 3
1. Introduction to gender diversity in the cockpit,
2. Focus group on empowering disabled pilots,
3. Rainbow day.

Day 4
1. Introduction to the C209NG,
2. Overview on pilot aircraft cleaning,
3. Introduction to high speed aerodynamics,
4. Pneumatic flap system and how it works.

Day 5
1. Introduction to fabric control surfaces,
2. Introduction to Cessna avionics and why they fail.

Rumour has it that Qantas will be singing an order for 100 airframes to compete with REX.

TwoFiftyBelowTen
14th Mar 2021, 03:24
Interesting claim is that it is guaranteed to be impossible to stall!

............. Oh, but that is probably because it is guaranteed not to ever get airborne

megle2
14th Mar 2021, 06:35
That Qantas rumour getting involved was quickly squashed as the intended 380 pilots wanted their pay adjusted up and in any case Alliance just knew it wouldn’t work for them.

j3pipercub
14th Mar 2021, 07:10
That Qantas rumour getting involved was quickly squashed as the intended 380 pilots wanted their pay adjusted up and in any case Alliance just knew it wouldn’t work for them.

https://youtu.be/LLkhK2TnUMw

Stationair8
14th Mar 2021, 08:02
The aircraft will be purchased outright by Alliance, crewed by displaced Qantas/Virgin flight crews subject to People and Culture interview and allowing for gender equity, the aircraft will be painted in Air Queensland, Air NSW, Air Tasmania and MMA colours.

lucille
14th Mar 2021, 21:21
A lot of the heavy iron guys are failing the Fright Safety Course on the Cessna C209NG, apparently to much time on the glass cockpit, lack of handling skills, no analogue experience, no mechanical sympathy and no autopilot.

One of the local CP pilots reckons, the QF, Jetstar, Virgin and Tiger pilots need to give themselves and advantage and do the GA Job Ready Awareness Course available through a VET program($25,000 plus gst). not to mention the Certificate IV in aircraft washing, Certificate IX in unapproved GA aircraft maintenance, Certificate XXII in GA CRM course and Certifiacte XIX in Maintance Release Doctoring.

Barry another NT CP, who did not want to be named, said were reluctant to put airline guys in the C209, as they weren't prepared to pay a bond and would shoot through when the airlines started recruiting again down south.

Priceless. 🤣🤣🤣

Lead Balloon
14th Mar 2021, 22:13
Just saw GT flying the C209NG simulator on Sunrise. Interesting to see the ballistic chute procedure and realism of the simulator.

Stationair8
14th Mar 2021, 23:36
GT described it as the Tesla of the sky, a game changer for the aviation industry and this is why Cessna has ceased production of the Citation 680.

Cessna finance will be offering a payment package through Afterpay.

Barry another NT CP, said the problem will be that the young guys will still be p#ssing off and, chasing the coveted multi time for the airline gig. You will spend a year training some young pilot up on our VET approved C209 ICUS($$$$$$) programme, then they shoot through and fly some 50 year GA twin for peanuts.

Word on Mitchell St, is that Hardy Aviation have paid deposits for 10 airframes in 2021, and another 20 in 2022.
Worth checking for an announcement on the Darwin Stock Exchange.

Kakadu Bob has also signed for 5 airframes for 2022, subject to simulator availability at the Bagot Road Fright Safety Centre.

Did GT mention that CASA have approved the 5,000 page Pilot Operating Handbook?

Blueskymine
15th Mar 2021, 01:58
Nigel, an ex British airways 747 captain has come down under to setup the crewing software for a local GA operator who recently started to upgrade their fleet to the C209NG.

It’s a game changer he was quoted as saying. When asked what his thoughts on flying it were, his comments where, it’s like being asked to lay with the queen. It’s a great honour - but no one wants to do it.

Capt Fathom
15th Mar 2021, 04:35
I'm surprised the Betoota Advocate and NT News aren't covering these developments.

Roj approved
15th Mar 2021, 07:01
I'm surprised the Betoota Advocate and NT News aren't covering these developments.

If you have a picture of a Croc in the C209, it'll get front page of the NT News ;-)

Lead Balloon
15th Mar 2021, 07:12
The live animal transport STC application is still with CASA. The NG has greater capabilities than the ‘straight’ C209, which is why Cessna has persisted with the application.

Global Aviator
15th Mar 2021, 20:31
The live animal transport STC application is still with CASA. The NG has greater capabilities than the ‘straight’ C209, which is why Cessna has persisted with the application.

Do you think it will assist with live export transport that much? I read you could get 2 million tadpoles loaded???

Stationair8
15th Mar 2021, 22:26
Obviously Nigel from BA wowed HR with his Eaton private school education and his 747 stories!

Nigel will look good in his pith helmet, long sox and sandals stomping around the tarmac telling the young pilots this is the way we did at British Airways!

megle2
15th Mar 2021, 22:51
Global, the Live Animal STC applied for is stuck in the casa “too hard basket” until they can determine a satisfactory training / checking pathway for approval of a tadpole counting method. I would of thought weight would be more practical. Gross weight that is not the individual tadpole weight as that as you are aware can vary with age ie tadpole hogget

Global Aviator
15th Mar 2021, 23:51
Global, the Live Animal STC applied for is stuck in the casa “too hard basket” until they can determine a satisfactory training / checking pathway for approval of a tadpole counting method. I would of thought weight would be more practical. Gross weight that is not the individual tadpole weight as that as you are aware can vary with age ie tadpole hogget

Is this another case of one CASA office saying something different to the next one? My FOI told me that it was a certainty for the taddy uplift, i’m banking my career on this! Don’t think I can’t handle another kick in the nutz. I was told my investment was as good as a job.

Blueskymine
16th Mar 2021, 01:23
Obviously Nigel from BA wowed HR with his Eaton private school education and his 747 stories!

Nigel will look good in his pith helmet, long sox and sandals stomping around the tarmac telling the young pilots this is the way we did at British Airways!

Plus nigels freemasonry and secret handshake got him over the line.

His extensive charity work with the lions club was the dead give away.

It’s also a nice perk for the owner of the 209 operation to use his tax haven holiday retreat in Andorra when things pick up.

We need more Nigels in our lives.

Traffic_Is_Er_Was
16th Mar 2021, 13:07
I read you could get 2 million tadpoles loaded???
On long single-pilot freight ops, the tadpoles are often off-loaded.

Global Aviator
20th Sep 2022, 10:03
Having read a few threads on newbies heading North I thought it prunedent to bring this thread alive again.

I’ve heard rumours that the GA ready course is going to focus on the 209NG with the Garmin 9870 avionics.

Did the STC for the Diesel engine ever get approved?

Capt Fathom
20th Sep 2022, 10:45
Did the STC for the Diesel engine ever get approved?

It failed to get ‘traction’. :E

Lead Balloon
20th Sep 2022, 10:46
Ironically, the competition got the diesel STC: The GA-8D Airvan. Would be worth anyone ‘heading north’ to get an endorsement on the GA-8D.

Stationair8
20th Sep 2022, 10:52
Heavy iron operators down south always appreciate, the guys that have gone North and got that heavy single time.

Cessna are sticking with the avgas only variant of the ever popular C209 for Australian, too many delays for regulatory approval by CASA for the C209NG.

Get that C209 time in the logbook, along with one of those new fangled Multi Crew Co-ordination course’s on your licence and the world is your oyster.

Bonza have 50 options on the C209’s for regional feeder work in Queensland and South Australia.

pithblot
21st Sep 2022, 00:29
Cessna are sticking with the avgas only variant of the ever popular C209 for Australian, too many delays for regulatory approval by CASA for the C209NG.

Stationair8
Yes/no/maybe.
The NT Government are in negotiations with CASA and Cessna to approve the C209NG for IFR day and night aeromedical for NTG contractors only. This apparently will be a work-around while waiting for the, PT6 powered, C209NGtp to come on line.

Interesting times ahead that’s for sure.

Stationair8
21st Sep 2022, 00:54
Prime Minister Albo is holding top secret talks with the French PM.

The French want to build the C209 in Reims, as payback for the failed submarine deal. They are proposing a nuclear powered C209 this decade.

Albo is hoping to keep the project in Australia and wants the Bagot Rd facility to be an example of a modern trade union project.

Global Aviator
6th Apr 2023, 10:39
I’ve just heard from the Townsville refueller that the mighty C209 will be flying cargo to the new space base.

Which company picked up the contract?

Have heard a 2028 isbao part 918 induction certification process for new hires, also heard of huge sign on bonuses, especially if one has logged NT wet season time in column 12 of a CAA approved log book anytime in the past 50 years.

Game changing?

Which model 209 did they go with? So many questions!

Ex FSO GRIFFO
7th Apr 2023, 02:04
From the Townsville refueller's wife - in the shower this morning, the preferred model is the new 'NGTD' model.

That's the New Gen Turbo Diesel made by Toiyota, its a 'Special' 8 Litre Diesel built especially for the 'Wet' in the NT.
350 HP and around 10.3 L / 100 nm so they say.....
Solar panels on the wings optional extra, for 'extra boost to the magnetos'. Made to shape of course.

Spare parts are said to be available from 'Micks Toiyota Auto Parts', Bagot Rd., much cheaper than from the 'usual' FAA / CAA / CASA approved outlets.

Stationair8
8th May 2023, 11:53
Albo has asked King Charles to visit Australia, and open the Bagot Road C209 Centre of Excellence later this year.

doublemamba
9th May 2023, 11:21
Cessna 209 NG starting price in Wichita $1,185 000 AUD !.
The market will still be small at over a million big ones each!
Add a G1000 and a fitted stubby holder and Nigel from BA will be bankrupt!

Global Aviator
9th May 2023, 12:24
Cessna 209 NG starting price in Wichita $1,185 000 AUD !.
The market will still be small at over a million big ones each!
Add a G1000 and a fitted stubby holder and Nigel from BA will be bankrupt!

That musta bin the one without many of the additional options.

The aircon added $350,985, the Glen 20 auto spray another $2999???, still cheaper than the ****ty old 208!

All the derivatives I’ve flown of the 9 have been very solid.