PDA

View Full Version : Things that make you think Spring has arrived

candoo
21st Apr 2006, 18:00
Rather bizarrely for me it's a tune :ok:

The ice-cream van started doing his daily runs around here today and I suddenly realised how much I had missed the crappy but, reassuring, tones :}

Then I saw the little kids running out to greet him like a long lost friend :ok:

Then I realised it is a tad warmer and the temperature looks to be climbing above nut numbing levels this weekend :ok: :ok:

Then I remembered the conversation I had with him last year where he told me he hates kids :eek:

So what is it for you - the sap rising :E , a cuckoo :rolleyes: , daffodils :yuk: ?

tony draper
21st Apr 2006, 18:06
The bloody Ice Crean Van is round here every day all through the winter blasting out the Harry Lime theme at a 1000 watts,its hot days in the summer that there's never a sign of the buggah.
:uhoh:

SilentHandover
21st Apr 2006, 18:08
I've just poured my first G n T at home this year so Spring must have Sprung.

candoo
21st Apr 2006, 18:15
Drapes - is that the regular tune that the vans knock out, instantly recognisable to kids and filling parents with dread, cos I've often wondered what it was?

G-CPTN
21st Apr 2006, 18:18
Heard story from a (now) adult that her parents had told her that when the ice-cream man was tootling, he'd RUN OUT of ice-cream and was heading back for more supplies . . .

tony draper
21st Apr 2006, 18:24
Bah! in my day sprogs listened out for the clip clop of the ice cream mans horse and the toot of his whistle.
:rolleyes:
Tiz what they play round here Mr Candoo,plinky plinky plonk te plonk,
the theme from the Third Man

colmac747
21st Apr 2006, 18:40
Getting chased by a bloody great Queen Bee earlier today.
Infact, near to where i stay is a hotspot for Hornets, and those things really do need 'put down'. Feckin things can kill small kiddies and pets etc..not nice are they.

Oh crap, did i have to mention the Queen word:ugh:

candoo
21st Apr 2006, 18:43
Found one http://blogfiles.wfmu.org/LB/mrsoftee.mp3

Ours is more Greensleeves though!

Foss
21st Apr 2006, 18:44
Mr Draper.
You are ruining a tune for me. I hum that tune when under great stress. Now I hear you bl**dy ice cream van plays it.
We don't have ice cream vans here, we live in the country :{

Although.. instead of the The Third man, we have Yellow man, which is mixed with ice cream to make Pooh Bear, a very sweet ice cream. Work that one out.

http://www.mauds.co.uk/sub_nav/top_ten.htm

er, mods, I hope that isn't considered advertising

Fos

tilewood
21st Apr 2006, 18:47
In my day his name was Toni and he had a bike with a metal cool box
over the front wheel. He would ride round the roads ringing his bicycle bell.

The icecream he sold was hard and round and sized and sliced to fit a cone.

Funny how that memory has just come back to me down the years ,fresh as if it was yesterday,the scents and mysteries of spring are wrapped within it. :)

tony draper
21st Apr 2006, 18:59
I think the bicycle and bell thing superceded the ice cream mans horse and cart and whistle,that was progress,high maintinence is yer cart horse,there was also a chap that sold soused Herring from a horse and cart,he was round most days,thouth he rellied on his voice,he used to shout Some thing that sounded like "CALAHARN" !! "CALAHARN"
Soused Herring was a very popular dish in those days,a hang over from the Geordie viking ancestry one suspects.
We had real springs and summers in those days as well.

tilewood
21st Apr 2006, 19:12
Mr. Drapes:

My dad was a milkman in the 1930s and he used a horse drawn float to do his
milk round.

Not so long ago really, but another world and another time!

I'm not sure where spring comes into this though!! :)

Hobo
21st Apr 2006, 19:18
Outdoor bonking.

"Hooray, hooray, the first of May,
Outdoor bonking starts today."

Seriosly though folks, the smell of Osimanthus blossom.

candoo
21st Apr 2006, 19:23
Oh and Mrs C has stashed my PS2 away for the summer :{

Too Short
21st Apr 2006, 19:37
Spring? what's that? I don't think we have that in the north... Oh yeah, I remember, it's that slightly warmer few weeks we get between June and August, before it turns cold again... :(

The smell of cut grass for the first time...

People driving around with windows down and stereo up... :cool:

tall and tasty
21st Apr 2006, 19:41
For me the first day of spring is the opening of the green buds on the trees, the cherry blossom on the tree in the garden and the host of daffodils that adore the flower beds.

Oh and the Ice cream van has done his rounds this evening too, I kid you not, they children had a lemon ice each,(ok I gave in) but he stopped outside the house so no running across the road.

But strangely to me it seems to be the spring in the step of the men in the office who are all to be cheekier this week than they were last. Can't be anything to do with the influx of cabin crew in for training:D

TnT:p

djk
21st Apr 2006, 19:58
the sound of distant chainsaws along the street, the tornado warning siren being tested....

ExSimGuy
21st Apr 2006, 20:09
Spring? - Yep, turned the air-con up to full power this morning :E

rebelrabbit
21st Apr 2006, 20:33
... it is when new divorcees (40 plus, at least OK) start wearing those itsy bitsy teeny weeny very tiny little nothings that absolutely refreshes ones rounds around Londinium and it's parks. It makes my perfectly normal chinos form at most irregular intervals around my crotch, and oh gives me a funny feeling ... To keep this aviation related I would also admit to not leering at all EGLC/EGLL arrivalls/departures when this time of the year comes along. Thus, therefore and ergo (!) when my eyes wander along the streets at crotch level and NOT at the planes then that's what I call the strat off spleeng!
oh and my concentrashin just gows down
rr

G-CPTN
21st Apr 2006, 21:45
Surprised nobody's mentioned the lambs. I suppose you don't get many lambs in towns and cities. We've had lambs locally for a couple of weeks now, although yesterday went walking up in the Cheviots where some sheep were still waiting (though SOME in the same fields had fresh new followers). Friends living on hill-farms haven't been down to town recently as they're 'lambing'. It sort of happens in waves (according to altitude). At least they've been spared snow this year. New-born lambs and snow aren't a good combination.
Daffodils are out too (snowdrops have been out and are almost finished).
Must be Spring . . .

candoo
21st Apr 2006, 22:11
mmmm... lambs.

What's the fuss about spring chickens?

tony draper
21st Apr 2006, 22:17
I dunno, watched something on telly that claimed Spring was coming six weeks earlier now than 100 years ago, this year bollixed up that theory, this buggah was six weeks late.

tilewood
21st Apr 2006, 22:29
Christmas cards in the shops!!:p

con-pilot
21st Apr 2006, 23:07
er,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Hay fever?:ugh:

tall and tasty
21st Apr 2006, 23:11
I love lambs used to remind me of the joys of lambing when we were on call and got to go out to a ewe at 0300 in the morning to assist. They are so cute.

But could not mentioned them when I was with my ex or I got the same response to mmmm... lambs.

Something to do with the Welsh blood I think in him

TnT

candoo
21st Apr 2006, 23:45
tall and tasty

If I were Welsh I'd be, you know, Welsh. True bloodied Englander here, so there!

BombayDuck
22nd Apr 2006, 03:16
Spring?

Not at 35C and 90% humidity :{

con-pilot
22nd Apr 2006, 03:41
I know what you mean BD, we have had strange weather here. We have gone in the last 30 days from a major snow storm, 3 days later temps at 30 degrees C, to another small snow storm back to 30 degrees C.

Now it is 20c in the day and 15c at night.

Heck, I give up!:p

airborne_artist
22nd Apr 2006, 06:22
Def spring here at Artist Towers - we've got an orphan triplet lamb by the Aga - 10 days old and he just up to birthweight.

http://www.hrmconsultancy.net/images/archie.jpg

Krystal n chips
22nd Apr 2006, 07:54
I dunno, watched something on telly that claimed Spring was coming six weeks earlier now than 100 years ago, this year bollixed up that theory, this buggah was six weeks late.

There may well be some truth ( for a change re the media ) in that actually.
I saw a lot of green shoots emerging in mid January, certainly around the Oswestry / Shrops area and also quite a few lambs--which was a bit early was it not for the potential dinners to emerge ?.

The other signs of spring? Loads of repeats on the box !--the emergence of the carajam and mobile home brigade from their winter hibernation:mad:. And the "book now for Christmas Dinner" signs !:confused:

candoo
22nd Apr 2006, 08:22
airborne - aaahhh.....

More importantly how long before he dons the mint sauce collar and are we invited?

Foss
22nd Apr 2006, 09:46
People next door mowing the lawn, which means I've got to go out and attack that f**king meadow of a lawn (it's big and bumpy and has got sodding trees in it and lots of loose stones, one of which has gone through the bedroom window after being flicked out by the lawnmower, which cost a fortune). I'm ranting now. Sorry.

Guess I'll just have to kill the neigherbours, and hire a gardener. Ahh.. Spring.

Fos

tony draper
22nd Apr 2006, 10:02
Why do not you just plant short grass Mr Foss.?

henry crun
22nd Apr 2006, 10:18
The arrival of lambs has little to do spring, be it late or early, and everything to do with when the farmer puts the rams with the ewes.

candoo
22nd Apr 2006, 10:25
Surprised nobody has mentioned the arrival of..... the short skirt!

tart1
22nd Apr 2006, 10:26
Surprised nobody has mentioned the arrival of..... the short skirt!
Some of us wear them all year round, not just spring/summer!! :E

Gingerbread Man
22nd Apr 2006, 10:34
I've run through countless clouds of insects, and I can't see round corners on country lanes because all the damn bushes have gone green :* . So yes, spring is here, woo hoo :rolleyes: .

Ginger :hmm:

airborne_artist
22nd Apr 2006, 11:20
The arrival of lambs has little to do spring, be it late or early, and everything to do with when the farmer puts the rams with the ewes.

Indeed, but most farmers want to be able to turn out the new lambs quickly which they can when it is warmer, as lambs don't thrive as well if kept indoors for too long. The ewes recover faster, and give better milk if on spring grass once the lambs are 2-3 days old. Earlier lambs make better prices, but they cost more to produce.

Daughter #2 has lambed about 100 ewes in the last three weeks.

Foss
22nd Apr 2006, 13:55
Mr Drapes
fantastic idea, I'll plant shorter grass, and also non-flowering dandilions. Then I'll sew up the dog's @rse so it doesn't crap on the newly seeded short grass and non-flowering dandilions.

There's a lot to be said for a large exspanse of concrete. Just hose it, don't cut it.

Ah, Spring has sprung.

Fos

G-CPTN
22nd Apr 2006, 13:58
Astro turf.
Although you CAN get chemical treatments to halt the growth of grass.
Farmer friend married a lass who wanted 'lawns'. He said he couldn't see the point of harvesting a crop that he couldn't sell or use.

Foss
22nd Apr 2006, 14:28
Aye, I know you can get a chemical to stunt grass growth, weedkiller.
No, I love my garden, I really do, trees are budding, all very pretty. But if I could I would call in an airstrike on the bl00dy bracken bushes which are advancing despite being dug up by a bl00dy JCB.
Fos

Jerricho
22nd Apr 2006, 14:54
The 10th speed camera thread of the year has been started.

chevvron
22nd Apr 2006, 16:05
Schoolgirls (jailbait category) showing off all they've got!

DX Wombat
22nd Apr 2006, 23:41
I saw my first swallows of the year on 8th April and yesterday I heard the first cuckoo. The wild cherry blossom is also starting to appear - looks like spring to me :ok: :D

Onan the Clumsy
22nd Apr 2006, 23:57
Has anyone mentioned the urge to look up women's skirts?

IHL
23rd Apr 2006, 00:30
The NHL playoffs have started and...

a sure sign of spring...

THE LEAFS ARE OUT!

tony draper
23rd Apr 2006, 00:41
Difficult to find women who wear skirts to look up now Mr Onan,they alll seem to wander the Earth clad in kecks all the time now,times are grim for us leg men.

pigboat
23rd Apr 2006, 01:09
Spring has sprung fer sure. I saw my first muffin-topper today. :D :oh:

Howard Hughes
23rd Apr 2006, 01:25
One drawback about living in Oz, is that muffin toppers are a year round occurence......:ugh:

planepsycho
23rd Apr 2006, 02:10
It's about time Pigboat, your spring is as slow as the Pony Express!:E

How I know it's spring in Tennessee...........
It's warm enough to wear shorts and sandals to work.:D
My male dog has a crush on a neighbors female dog.....
Some cats were screaming in my yard last night.....didn't see them but whatever they were doing, it sounded painful.
Those little maple tree propeller thingys are all over my front porch.
My neighbor mowed a swath down the side of my yard.....he thinks my grass doesn't meet neighborhood height codes.
Miraculously some of the flower bulbs I planted last year are growing....
Dogwood trees have pink or white blooms, foliage is green again.....
The air is fresh and the sky is that awesome severe clear blue:ok:
Tornado warnings!:uhoh:
My allergies are back.....

Foss
23rd Apr 2006, 10:52
Seen my first hare of the year yesteday, quietly lolloping up the road.
Then the lurcher seen it, rut-roh.

Quiet Spring morning ruined by me screaming abuse at a dog disappearing over the horizon.

Where do hares go in the winter anyway, Easyjet it to the somewhere sunny? They just disappear.

Fos

White Hart
23rd Apr 2006, 12:17
Lots and lots of half-grown rabbits out in the fields - yum yum!! :)

... and fat woodpigeons, too! :) :)

BALIX
23rd Apr 2006, 12:19
Washed the car this morning so spring must be here. Might even do it again next spring...

B Fraser
23rd Apr 2006, 12:35
Thames Water have imposed a hosepipe ban however the building that they occupy was recently power-washed. double standards (http://www.getreading.co.uk/news/2001/2001181/water_cheek)

Onan the Clumsy
23rd Apr 2006, 12:37
it sounded painfulit IS painful. The cat penis is covered with barbs so that it tears the vagina on removal and this helps stimulate ovulation. Must make a mess of your paw if you sneak a crafty wank :E

Oddly though, this doesn't seem to stop 'em as kittens in an individual litter can belong to several fathers. How Chavvish :sad:

G-CPTN
23rd Apr 2006, 12:43
Probably had her head in a tin of salmon at the time.

Foss
23rd Apr 2006, 12:48
Please, please make it rain, or this lovely Spring day is going to be ruined by cutting stupid lawn.

Speaking of stupid, the stupid lurcher was too stupid to catch the hare and too stupid to not sit in the middle of the road and look stupid when whistled at.

For sale: Stupid lurcher who smells of sardines and is selectively deaf. (and is now in disgrace)

Fos :*

RaraAvis
23rd Apr 2006, 12:51
Saw a ladybug on the tube yesterday:)!
The park across the road is gloriously blooming, flowers everywhere...
Big heavy coats have travelled back to the boxes they belong to, chunky jumpers and thick trousers following suit. Good!
Time for the pwetty dresses is almost here, oh joy!;)
Love waking up to bright stripes of sunshine across my bed, such happy feeling!
Yep, Spring is here!:D

B Fraser
23rd Apr 2006, 14:01
Please, please make it rain,

You got your wish mate, right on top of the Chilterns so no bloomin' flying today :mad:

scruggs
23rd Apr 2006, 14:35
Sexy females showing off more than they have done in the past few months. And sadly, fat females doing exactly the same.

DX Wombat
23rd Apr 2006, 16:14
All six children of my next door neighbour have taken to screaming in the garden and street as well as indoors :{ I think some industrial ear defenders are called for, or a nice long trip away with the tin tent. :ok:

G-CPTN
23rd Apr 2006, 17:05
WHY do parents allow their offspring to SCREAM? We permitted ours to play noisily (including shouting, but never screaming).

green granite
23rd Apr 2006, 18:43
WHY do parents allow their offspring to SCREAM? We permitted ours to play noisily (including shouting, but never screaming).

For some reason its nearly allways the girls that do the screaming, do you
think they're praticing for being married? :E :E

tall and tasty
23rd Apr 2006, 19:57
Please, please make it rain, or this lovely Spring day is going to be ruined by cutting stupid lawn.well Foss it rained at EGKK today non stop, just as I promised because, it was spring the children, could visit a big theme park near them.

We went and got soaked through and watched children eat ice cream in the 12 degrees (yup spring his here) yesterday I was watering the pot plants three time in the day cos it was so warm and sunny and out in the garden in a bathing suit today fully clothed and no sign or the sun

Such the joys of English weather:}

TnT

Big Fish
23rd Apr 2006, 20:13
A sign that spring has sprung?

All of the idiots who insist on blocking traffic whilst queuing to get in to the garden centre/ DIY stores while I am trying to get to work.

:mad:

Then the same people who complain how busy the stores are!

BF

GETA
24th Apr 2006, 05:42
I am with RaraAvis here, can't wait for the weather to get warm enough so I could wear skirts and dresses again :)
The neighbours were having a barbeque in their garden last weekend, a sure sign of spring in my neck of the woods!

bar fly
24th Apr 2006, 08:34
I'm still waiting for Tit Monday up in Manc!

DX Wombat
24th Apr 2006, 09:51
and that is fine by me. My last lot of neighbours had five children all of whom were delightful and I can't remember ever hearing them scream even when they were enjoying really noisy fun and games. :)
GG this is an assortment of boys and girls who seem to be posessed of equal ability to scream very loudly. :(

Foss
24th Apr 2006, 12:04
It didn't rain. I had to cut the grass.

The lawnmower laughed and sprayed dog poo all over my ankles. Look on the bright side, at least it wasn't stones.

Same dog that made the poo ate my sweets again I hear chocolate is very bad for dogs. Save me having to shoot her.

'Here dog, have a Malteser'.

Flipping four legged poo machine.

Fos

Rob Courtney
24th Apr 2006, 14:33
The annual St Georges Day Fireworks championship at Chipping Ongar, (nr N Weald) oh the joy of dodging ordinance for a couple of hours. If you come off the field and find all your bits in the right place you know you can enjoy another spring:rolleyes:

didnt win this year though:{

Rob

Kolibear
24th Apr 2006, 14:37
Spring has arrived when I hear the first Chiff-chaff singing. The first Swallow is always a delight but when the House Martins returned to their nest-box, spring has definitely sprung!

djk
24th Apr 2006, 14:39
an increase in geese, squirrels, rabbits and racoons splattered on the roads

acbus1
25th Apr 2006, 12:52
Thought y'all might like this......

http://www.zodcaps.com/graphics/fat_lady_spring.jpg

:E