PDA

View Full Version : MIA?

Biggles Flies Undone
21st Apr 2006, 14:10
I've been away for a couple of weeks moving house, but now I've heard the goss. Any comments from either side of the floor?

acbus1
21st Apr 2006, 14:14
I'm glad somebody has finally asked.

I tend to agree with the Macedonian Government, in that I suspect that corruption and organized crime might be involved in the "Bacilo" case.

airship
21st Apr 2006, 14:20
So...it's all true then?!

Rushton
21st Apr 2006, 14:23
So...it's all true then

It certainly is (MIB) Men in Black have been upgraded to (MIA) Men in Aubergine

airship
21st Apr 2006, 14:25
Gi' us a clue about what we're supposed to be goin' on about?!

Rushton
21st Apr 2006, 14:32
I haven't a clue - not up to speed with the texting parlance as used in the subject heading:sad:

timmcat
21st Apr 2006, 14:35
Biggles - I suspect JB regulars who do actually know what you are referring to may not wish to comment publicly.

Rushton
21st Apr 2006, 14:38
Ahh! the penny drops

ThreadBaron
21st Apr 2006, 14:40
'Ere guv, d'you drop this??

Is the goss truth, or the truth goss??

Biggles Flies Undone
21st Apr 2006, 14:41
Timm, call me an old fart (who may be on the verge of being banned) - but I think this subject should be discussed openly rather than whispered about.

There are two sides to most stories.

cyclicmicky
21st Apr 2006, 14:41
Last time I dropped a penny it hit me on the back of the head:rolleyes:

BlueDiamond
21st Apr 2006, 14:42
Missing in action?

Kidnapped by aliens?

Being held prisoner by dark forces?

Fell foul of the law and got put away?

Avtrician
21st Apr 2006, 14:43
I like stories, tis nearly bed time, and dad wont read to me any more:uhoh::uhoh:

ThreadBaron
21st Apr 2006, 14:53
call me an old fart(who may be on the verge of being banned)
There seems to be, at this time, far to few people around with the authority to do that!

But I can call you an 'old fart'!:ok:

Flypuppy
21st Apr 2006, 14:55
Biggles,

Drop me a PM with yer phone number....

G-CPTN
21st Apr 2006, 14:58
Mama MIA? . . .

BlueDiamond
21st Apr 2006, 14:59
Well ... okay, I'll go for it. Yes, there have been stories doing the rounds about why our mods are missing. What I heard was that there were matters of dispute between our mods and management which were initially thought to have been satisfactorily settled, then this apparently acceptable solution was "overturned." As a result, our mods have elected to withdraw their services. Is that what anyone else has heard?

Flypuppy
21st Apr 2006, 15:01
Not too far shy of the mark, I think.

G-CPTN
21st Apr 2006, 15:01
Mama MIA! . . :{

cyclicmicky
21st Apr 2006, 15:04
Hmmm, I wondered where our dragon had gone...bloody shame:(

runningwind
21st Apr 2006, 15:10
As a result, our mods have elected to withdraw their services. Is that what anyone else has heard?No this does not mean the peasants can revolt :}

Then again anarchy on the boards

AnEviltwinEr
21st Apr 2006, 15:11
I'll be a mod :)

G-CPTN
21st Apr 2006, 15:19
Can I be a rocker?

Biggles Flies Undone
21st Apr 2006, 15:26
bloody shame
Yes, agreed.

Gouabafla
21st Apr 2006, 15:40
If this rumour is true, it's very sad. :{

BlueDiamond
21st Apr 2006, 15:45
Sad indeed. Especially if it is true that someone has reneged on an agreement.

Solid Rust Twotter
21st Apr 2006, 16:39
Nothing to do with Miami then.....

G-CPTN
21st Apr 2006, 23:53
A Hamburg court has ruled that moderators of internet forums are liable for content posted on their sites.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/04/21/moderator_liable_for_comments/

jet_noseover
22nd Apr 2006, 00:14
"German court rules moderators liable for forum comments"

Would the same apply to the the UK sites?

wingman863
22nd Apr 2006, 00:49
So if I were to say that the really famous actor, :mad: , is a closet homosexual or that :mad: is a sex pest, there's no-one to take these vile comments away? :}

I urge all parties to act responsibly and to commit liable in an orderly fashion.

BlueDiamond
22nd Apr 2006, 00:59
I reckon that is thread drift, G-CPTN and it's probably worth a thread on its own. If you read the linked article, it's not really about the same sort of thing being discussed here. As I understand it, the point of this thread is the rumours why our mods are missing ... and the reason seems to be a broken agreement, or someone going back on their word. I hope thread drift is not going to be used as a diversionary tactic here ... a lot of Jet Blasters would like to have a better understanding of what's been happening but thread drift is always a good way to sidetrack people.

jet_noseover
22nd Apr 2006, 01:03
thread gently............

acbus1
22nd Apr 2006, 05:41
.....post haste.

BlueWolf
22nd Apr 2006, 05:50
The Mil Forum is self-policing, and it does OK. Then again, it doesn't have the Hamster Wheel. And I miss our Dragon :{ :{ :sad:

Who cares what the :mad: German courts think?:confused: :* :mad:

Gouabafla
22nd Apr 2006, 07:46
Mil Forum is self-policing

Military police?

I miss our Dragon

Me too.

IB4138
22nd Apr 2006, 08:58
On a point of order:

Aren't the peasants revolting enough already?:confused: and MIBs are football referees.:rolleyes:

Foss
22nd Apr 2006, 09:24
I'm a bit out of the loop here. Is anyone willing to explain what happened?
I realise that may be difficult. :ooh:

Fos

PPRuNe Radar
22nd Apr 2006, 12:17
The Mil Forum is self-policing, and it does OK.

That's what we let the troops think ;) There are no named moderators there but it is 'policed' by moderators since ordinary punters cannot take actions such as deleting posts, editing them, or banning users (all of which happens there, as on other parts of the site).

What you might see however is a greater degree of peer pressure being exerted to keep people in line.

Adding both points together, that's not quite the same as it being a totally unmoderated or self policed forum :ok:

ExSimGuy
22nd Apr 2006, 21:14
I've been a member of this group for (6?) years, and it's a great site. I'm usually on JB, sometimes on SLF or Mid-East, occasionally (when I think I have something to contribute, or ask) on R&N.

I've been to couple of GatBashes (and hopefully going to the next)

Don't always agree with the "politics", lost about a thousand posts in the "Big Crash", then several hundred because someone decided that the words "post count" were "not acceptable" - but apart from failing to understand why "post count" (or "Auntie mary") are swear words, I go along with it; small price to pay for a great site

Hopefully, any "internal problems" will be resolved, as with reasonable people, and "Proon" will continue in the same or similar form for nany years (decades!) to come

Regards and thanks to ALL who have put so much effort into making,and keeping, this site what it is today!

Exxy

Hey! 222 Post Count ;)

airship
22nd Apr 2006, 21:31
Sorry, but I don't believe any of it.

The most plausible explanation for the (sad) absence of some of our most favourite mods here recently is quite obvious: the door to the cellar in PPRuNe Towers now has a padlock on it and it only came with 3 keys...?! :{

Well, it's either that or else Danny isn't paying overtime anymore... :uhoh:

G-CPTN
22nd Apr 2006, 21:38
Well, it's either that or else Danny isn't paying overtime anymore...
You mean that Danny PAYS? I'd always imagined that the mods paid Danny for the honour of being able to wield the big stick (or lead pipe). To be without (regular) supervision is probably against Health and Safety Regulations. What if someone gets caught in a thread or trips over a post?:uhoh:

con-pilot
22nd Apr 2006, 22:17
What if someone gets caught in a thread or trips over a post?

I will run (okay walk rapidly,,,,,,,, alright stroll) to the nearest Pub, have a beer and call for help.:E

(nearly all bars/pubs have a telephone)

Solid Rust Twotter
23rd Apr 2006, 06:02
Pub? Bad planning, mate. You need to make certain it's Wholi's whisky cellar in which folks are trapped...

IB4138
23rd Apr 2006, 10:01
But I don't drink whisky Rusty!:rolleyes:

Now locking me in someone's brandy cellar would be an excellent idea.;)

Biggles Flies Undone
26th Apr 2006, 14:02
That's it then? Everybody carefully avoided the subject? Nobody misses flaps & wholi?

OK, fair enough. If we can't have an adult discussion asbout this, I'll stick to Trab in future. Is there an emoticon for disappointed but not surprised?

And am I really the only one thinking like this?

strafer
26th Apr 2006, 14:12
And am I really the only one thinking like this?Who can tell?

You're being more obtuse than a big obtuse thing.

Anyhoo, there's nothing new under the sun...
http://www.fordham.edu/HALSALL/MOD/1936purges.html

Biggles Flies Undone
26th Apr 2006, 14:19
OK fair enough - you're probably right there strafer.

There was a dispute about JB modding. It was settled between the JB Mods and others - but then the deal appears to have been re-neged. Hence the absence of our mods.

I've heard one side of the story, but there are always two sides. I made the original post in the hope that a discussion would ensue. In the absence of any input from The Boss I can only draw my own conclusions.

strafer
26th Apr 2006, 14:23
Fair enough Biggles. I myself have no idea, which is why I stick to facetious and unhelpful comments.:rolleyes:

BlueDiamond
26th Apr 2006, 14:30
Well ... maybe give it a couple more days, Biggles, in case the "other side" happens to be away and can't respond yet. I'm sure there are plenty of us who miss Wholi and Flaps but haven't a clue what we can actually do about it. From the emails I've had since this thread opened, it is pretty well confirmed that both of those mods have either resigned or decided to stay away in protest over what has happened. If it is true that the agreement was binned after the deal had been struck (so to speak) then it is indeed shabby treatment of people who have worked hard for this website. If it isn't true, then as you say, perhaps someone would like to explain the other side of things.

G-CPTN
26th Apr 2006, 14:52
I've never tangled with Wholi, but Flaps has treated me fairly (if stearnly). Seems like a nice girl too.
Whilst the pussy's away the meeces are playing, which might seem fun, but we really DO need to be disciplined (well SOME do), however, ignoring this forum serves little purpose, as, no forum - no mods required.

Bronx
26th Apr 2006, 18:13
BFU
I'm sure you mean well but maybe folks think we shouldn't try interfering in things we don't know about, don't need to know about and that's not our business.
If there has been a dispute, as you say there's always two sides to a story and I'm always kinda suspicious when one side leaks their version of what should be kept confidential. Someone's told you their side so you must be close to them. Sorry but I dont think folks should be repeating what they been told here.
It's a free website, we aint got stock in the company, we got no right to expect Danny to explain himself to us and I don't think it's right or fair to try and goad him into it giving his side with posts repeating the other side's version here.
Danny started Prune from nothing and its the biggest and best aviation website in the world so the guy must know what he's doing. He pays for it except for a few ads and a few folks with personal titles so I reckon he's entitled to say how he wants the site run. Folks that don;t like the way he runs things can start their own site, do the work to keep it running and pay the big bucks for the servers.
Let the guys who run the site try to sort out their own differences in private. If they can't they can't, but it ain't our business.
Just my two cents.

ThreadBaron
26th Apr 2006, 20:00
its the biggest and best aviation website in the world
he's entitled to say how he wants the site run
No dispute with you, Bronx, but when such unequalled supporters of the website disappear, a simple explanation would not come amiss. Yes, of course there are two sides to any dispute, but when you only hear one ... well, you are entitled to your own thoughts. I miss their input and do not feel inclined to ignore their absence.

RiskyRossco
26th Apr 2006, 23:01
When society loses one influence for good that society is the poorer for it.

Success is no mark of greatness. Success can fail. Great empires have fallen when the citizenry have lost faith in their leader.
Certainly, the Web thingy is a unique and diverse culture yet it is still driven by people. People hold certain truths above all else. One is 'respect', another is 'do unto others'.
All it takes for the rot to set in is to ignore those precepts and it is an unwritten law that the truth will out. Unresolved contention is like slow-acting poison. Someone must administer the antidote before the organism fails.

That there is 'something rotten in the state of Denmark' has been accepted. Sides have been chosen and feathers ruffled. I would be the last to advocate a general strike, I must admit, and I agree that a boycott is a Pyrrhic victory. Yet, partisanship is not something to ignore and missing Mods, particularly those who are 'family', supercedes social propriety.
edited to remove censurious tone.

airship
26th Apr 2006, 23:20
Biggles, if Falps or Wholi really felt the need to expose their sentiments on here in public, then I can't see anything at all that prohibits them from doing so. They appear to prefer not to want to do this. Yes, one does miss their contributions but one also respects their right to remain silent... :ok:

con-pilot
27th Apr 2006, 02:53
I miss FLAPS:{

Wholigan
27th Apr 2006, 07:27
Personally, I think it is time that this topic was allowed to wither on the vine, but that is - of course - your choice not mine.

Suffice to say that a situation arose with which I was unhappy. The situation had been developing over a considerable period and got to a stage where I decided to vote with my feet and I resigned from the role of moderating. I did not take this decision lightly and nor was it on the spur of the moment; it took a lot of deep thinking as I am very fond of the world of PPRuNe and its residents. The only regret I have is that I did not wait to tell a fellow moderator (for whom I have great affection) what I was doing and – more importantly – when I was doing it. I thus upset that person and that is something that I would never willingly do.

Second-guessing what happened and any more open speculation in here will merely cause confusion, discontent and gloom. It will definitely not result in any of the parties involved giving “their side” of events on an open forum. In fact – as some of you know – I have not given “my side” to anybody and so I am not exactly sure where the “facts” in here have come from. If any of you think that there will magically appear a list of who did what to whom and why, then I am afraid that you will be in for a very long wait.

I am writing this to let you know that I did not just throw a “hissy fit”, but that I gave my decision much profound thought and deliberation. Furthermore, I should like to let you know that I personally believe that open discussion and speculation can not do any actual good in the circumstances and could possibly do harm to the harmony of the site. I realise that the intentions have been good and that this represents a form of “support”, but please rest assured that I – for one – need no “support” as I am entirely comfortable with my decision. Whatever happens in this thread or elsewhere, I have no intention of reversing that decision.

In sum, the reasons for my resignation from moderating were personal and merely meant that I was unhappy to continue “serving” within the system. That does not mean that I shall leave the site forever, but that I shall be a poacher rather than a gamekeeper.

ThreadBaron
27th Apr 2006, 07:45
Wholi Thank you. Good to know that you will continue poaching with us.:ok:

BombayDuck
27th Apr 2006, 07:53
Ok, Wholi, nice press release. Now on with the gossip! :}

but that I shall be a poacher rather than a gamekeeper.

It aint poaching if it's a game! :E

Let the games begin! :D

nice to see you back! no, really!

RiskyRossco
27th Apr 2006, 08:39
Many thanks, Wholi, for a first-hand statement.

BlueDiamond
27th Apr 2006, 11:40
We'll certainly enjoy hearing from you whenever you do drop in, Wholi. :ok:

BenThere
27th Apr 2006, 11:56
Wholigan and Flaps,

Thanks for your contribution to Pprune. You helped to make it one of my genuine pleasures. Being a mod is a tough job and I suspect no one could do it forever. I hope whatever caused the problem soon passes for all concerned.

Cheers,

Biggles Flies Undone
27th Apr 2006, 13:30
I think this would be a good time to let this thread drop off the radar.

I've met the people concerned many times during my time at PPRuNe, really enjoyed their company and didn't want them to fade away without a last squawk on the screen.

Wholi has made his position clear and it's good that he will still be around as one of the poachers :ok: Hopefully flaps might consider being one of us naughty ones at some point in the future :E