PDA

View Full Version : Those fun-loving Scientologists are at it again...

chuks
21st Apr 2006, 08:25
It might be that something was lost in translation but in today's local German rag there was a big item about Tom (Maverick) Cruise and his F-14. No, just kidding there, it was him, his bride-to-be and their new baby.

In a nutshell, after some blah-blah about this Scientological way of giving birth which seems to involve everyone except the baby keeping schtum (What? The obstetrician has to do charades? Sounds like: 'Porsche.' Ah! 'Forceps!' Here you go, Doctor!) they got onto Topic Number One, the name of the baby. Hot stuff, this!

The kid has been named Sari, which is supposed by the Cruiser and his consort to be Hebrew for 'Princess.' Cue an opinion from an eminent hebraicist that one can use either Sari or Sara or perhaps Sarah to mean that but that there is no current listing under Suri. Then a scholar of Japanese chimes in with the helpful news that in that language it means 'pickpocket.' So that is okay then.

I scanned the whole rest of the paper but there was no picture of John Travolta, John Travolta's house or John Travolta's Boeing 707. Drat! Ah, but then I turned to Pprune and there it was, dependable as clockwork or cliché. So that is okay then.

I once visited a Lutheran church in Finland where they had a gilt ornament backing the pulpit with the name of the Supreme Being in Hebrew at the back of the pulpit. The nice lady giving the tour told us it had been taken down for cleaning and then put back upside-down when it stayed that way for about a hundred years until someone who spoke the language finally came along to point out the mistake. Here it is good that the popular press is right on top of things. Imagine the trouble if this unfortunate child finally visited Tokyo years hence to find herself getting funny looks everytime she introduced herself! Now there should be plenty of time to get these two ancient languages into conformity with the thoughts of L. Ron Hubbard and his Hubbardistas.

Gnirren
21st Apr 2006, 09:39
I could go into any church on sunday, point at people "eating" the body of "christ" and to me it's all the same. Religion is a structured way of controlling people for it's own purposes be it power or money or whatever and if you fall for it, shame on you.
In fact I bet I could start my own religion. Give it 2000 years, some rumors and distorted facts and people might consider ME a deity. Impossible? Nope. That's the scary part.
You have ONE life, why spend it following a book? Do you live by the teachings of Cosmopolitan? Time magazine? Whinnie the Pooh? Oh, right... give it another couple of thousand years huh, then we'll see :ok: Thou shalt not kill, covet another man's wife... You don't need a bible for this, you need common sense and some morals. Besides, if the boy-raping priests, crusade murderers and witch burners go to heaven then sign me up for the basement accomodation instead thanks. I prefer warmer temperatures anyway.
Scientology works great, for the guys collecting the cash. I don't see it as any different from those homeshopping networks that con people into buying their useless crap that ends up in the closet. Some people are dumb and other people take advantage of it, big deal-o.

BDiONU
21st Apr 2006, 09:49
I could go into any church on sunday, point at people "eating" the body of "christ" and to me it's all the same. Religion is a structured way of controlling people for it's own purposes be it power or money or whatever and if you fall for it, shame on you.
In fact I bet I could start my own religion. Give it 2000 years, some rumors and distorted facts and people might consider ME a deity. Impossible? Nope. That's the scary part.
You have ONE life, why spend it following a book?

Have you seen the thread titled 'Convince Me'? You'd go down a treat in there ;-))

Scientology works great, for the guys collecting the cash.
You'll enjoy the South Park episode about it available here:http://www.xenu.net/

BD
Grace:
Dear God, We paid for all this food ourselves, so thanks for nothing.
Bart Simpson

Gnirren
21st Apr 2006, 10:03
Haha, yeah I've followed that thread half-heartedly but it's a hamsterwheel that will never stop spinning. Who cares anyway, seriously... South park though, great stuff. Laughing my ass off every episode.

Jerricho
21st Apr 2006, 12:43
Been 2 South Park episodes about the Scientologists:

"Trapped in the Closet" - Stan joins the Scientologists and is deemed to be the reincarnation of L. Ron Hubbard.........and Tom Cruise comes out of the closet

"The return of Chef" - Chef leave South Park to join the "Super Adventure Club", and when he returns, he begins to show some unwanted attention to the boys.

R4+Z
21st Apr 2006, 15:47
I must admit that I still find it hard to believe that people will still adopt a religion founded by a SCI-FI writer.

Lets face it He has already proved that he can spin a good yarn and still people are willing to base thier lives on his "stories"

By the way his SCI-Fi is actually quite good "imho".

B Fraser
21st Apr 2006, 20:30
The South Park episode about Satan living with "Chris" while still having the hots for Saddam had me in stitches.

I wonder why there is one religion in particular that never gets lampooned on SP ? Nobody answer otherwise this thread will get pulled :rolleyes:

Jerricho
21st Apr 2006, 22:43
Frase me old, what religion are you referring to. I've seen every episode, and can't think of a single popular one that hasn't had the piss taken out of it.

G-CPTN
21st Apr 2006, 23:06
Already? . . . :confused:

Jerricho
21st Apr 2006, 23:44
They're up to the 10th series already.

G-CPTN
21st Apr 2006, 23:45
Oi va . . . !

BDiONU
22nd Apr 2006, 07:15
I wonder why there is one religion in particular that never gets lampooned on SP ?
Hhhmm, I assume from other comments in this thread that you're talking about judaism? Look at Kyle! To pin things down a bit more:
Episode #204 - Ike's Wee Wee: A look at the practice of circumcision
Episode #309 - Jewbilee: Boy scout type gathering for Jewish kids
Episode #804 - The passion of the Jew:Cartman leads Evangelical Christians, motivated by The Passion of the Christ, in a Nazi-like parade to drive out the Jews from South Park.

The meshugannah goyim! ;)

BD

G-ALAN
22nd Apr 2006, 08:35
RE: Scientology

Yep this is what happens when you have more money than sense. People like Tom Cruise have everything, well everything of material value anyway. Somewhere between throwing cocktail parties on the £10m cabin cruiser for all their little rich friends, having orgies, snorting crack and [email protected] school girls, they realise they are about as shallow as a puddle and completely devoid of any humanity. Hence they go off to find their 'spiritual' side and perhaps donate £1m or so to charity (just to ease the guilt) and perhaps do a bit of aid work looking after one legged starving cats in some country no one can pronounce. Scientology is just another part of it all. They take up a trendy religion, not because they are well read on it or because they think it makes sense, but to impress their uber rich, ego massaging friends. Why? Becuase everyone else does it, Maddona, John Travolta, That rapper cnut. And so the cycle begins again. Instead of being creative with their money they do the same old crap, buying mansions, fast cars and throwing parties etc but this time it's ok because they have their spirituality and all their material goods are just a little aside to that. :ugh:

BlueWolf
22nd Apr 2006, 09:34
RE: Scientology
Yep this is what happens when you have more money than sense. People like Tom Cruise have everything, well everything of material value anyway. Somewhere between throwing cocktail parties on the £10m cabin cruiser for all their little rich friends, having orgies, snorting crack and [email protected] school girls, they realise they are about as shallow as a puddle and completely devoid of any humanity. Hence they go off to find their 'spiritual' side and perhaps donate £1m or so to charity (just to ease the guilt) and perhaps do a bit of aid work looking after one legged starving cats in some country no one can pronounce. Scientology is just another part of it all. They take up a trendy religion, not because they are well read on it or because they think it makes sense, but to impress their uber rich, ego massaging friends. Why? Becuase everyone else does it, Maddona, John Travolta, That rapper cnut. And so the cycle begins again. Instead of being creative with their money they do the same old crap, buying mansions, fast cars and throwing parties etc but this time it's ok because they have their spirituality and all their material goods are just a little aside to that. :ugh:

"having orgies, snorting crack and [email protected] school girls" - you say that like it's a bad thing? :confused:

"buying mansions, fast cars and throwing parties etc" - ditto above

"John Travolta" - well being a Prooner he can answer for himself ;) :E :ok:

rupert the bear
22nd Apr 2006, 09:45
Why do you care? How does it impact you?