PDA

View Full Version : Jetstar/Qantas, get real

Gordstar
20th Apr 2006, 22:40
As someone involved in aviation, and also a regular pax, the creeping disease called "Jetstar" which is spreading over Australia, really annoys me!
Why doesn't Qantas admit, they want to re-invent the wheel and go back to having two airlines, one international and one domestic, although this time with a twist, a cheapo international one aswell.
Remember when Qantas took over TAA which had become Australian, and we had two airlines under the Q banner?
I think Q is heading that way again, and as far as I am concerned, it will be to the benefit of Virgin Blue, because many Aussie pax's don't appreciate being treated like sheep or cattle and loaded into a Greyhound bus of the sky's.
Fair dinkum Qantas, this is becoming painful.
Thoughts?:{

Ultralights
20th Apr 2006, 23:54
Why doesn't Qantas admit, they want to re-invent the wheel and go back to having two airlines, one international and one domestic, although this time with a twist, a cheapo international one aswell.
Thoughts?:{

Qantas dont want 2 airlines, they want 1. Jetscar. you pay at a qantas counter pay a qantas fare, but get Jetstar service, and the company gets the jetstar running costs, Jetstar staff are paid a lot less than their qantas counterparts. including flight crew.

Gordstar
21st Apr 2006, 00:19
Yes, Ultralights, it is all wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bangkokeasy
21st Apr 2006, 07:19
I've flown as SLF on Jetstar, and its Asian equivalent, Jetstar Asia, a few times and have to say it has been quite a pleasant experience. They fly new equipment and the staff, both in the air and on the ground, are fine. Unlike after flying with locos in Europe, particularly Pprune's favourite whipping boy, FR, you don't come away feeling somehow "unclean", in need of a good sheepdip.

They are also doing quite a good marketing job on the public. I was at the Avalon airshow last year and they managed to get their scheduled departure included in the show programme. Not very spectacular to watch, but got some publicity!

Globaliser
21st Apr 2006, 13:16
Why doesn't Qantas admit, they want to re-invent the wheel and go back to having two airlines, one international and one domestic, although this time with a twist, a cheapo international one aswell.Actually, let me see:-

Qantas will always be doing lots of flying on domestic trunk routes as well as international routes;
Jetstar will be flying on international routes as well as more leisure-orientated domestic routes.
No, it doesn't look like an international/domestic split to me.

In fact, I wonder if it might just be what QF say it is: A split between routes that make lots of money from people who are prepared to pay for full service, and routes that are much lower-yield and have to be served from a lower cost base.

If the domestic pax don't like the JQ way, then of course they can fly DJ. There's nothing to stop them. I've seen DJ (but not JQ) and it wasn't bad at all. JQ domestic can then safely collapse in a loss-making heap.

Except it isn't doing that, as far as one can tell. So someone must like the overall JQ proposition.