PDA

View Full Version : Freak of Navigation

tony draper
20th Apr 2006, 23:00
New Year 1899-1900
The night was warm and inviting. The stars shone in all their tropical brilliance.
Captain John D Phillips was in a dark corner of the bridge quietly pulling on a cigar with all the contentment that comes to a sailor when he knows the voyage is half complete and they are homeward bound. The passenger steamer SS Warrimoo was quietly knifing her way home through the waters of the mid Pacific, from Vancouver to Australia. The navigator, had just finished working out a star fix and brought the results up to Captain Phillips. The Warrimoo's position was spotted at about Latitude 0* 30' North and Longitude 179* 30' West. The date was December 30th 1899.
First Mate, Daylong broke in "Captain do you realize what this means? We are only a few miles from the intersection of the Equator and the International Date Line". Captain Phillips knew exactly what it meant; he was in good spirits and feeling prankish enough to take full advantage of a unique opportunity to achieve a navigational freak of a lifetime.
In an ordinary crossing of the Date-Line it is confusing enough for passengers because they lose a day, but the possibilities he had before him were sure to confound them for the rest of their lives. He immediately called four more navigators to the bridge and told them to check and double check the ship's position every few minutes and report it to him. He changed course slightly so as to correctly bear on his mark. Then he carefully adjusted the engine speed so he would strike it at the right moment. The clear night, calm sea and the eager co-operation of the entire crew worked successfully in his favour.
Precisely at Midnight, local time, the Warrimoo, lay on the Equator at exactly the point where it crosses the International Date Line.
The consequences of this bizarre situation were many.
The Forward part of the ship was in the Southern Hemisphere and in the middle of summer.
The Stern was in the Northern Hemisphere and in the middle of Winter.
The date in the after part of the ship was 30th December 1899
Forward it was 1st January 1900.
The ship was not only in two different days, two different years, but two different centuries all at the same time.
Moreover, the passengers had been cheated out of a New Year's Eve celebration. The 31st of December 1899 had disappeared from their lives forever.
Not all was disappointment for the people on board the Warrimoo were the first to greet the new century. All they had to do was run from aft to f'wrd.
Captain Phillips when speaking about it years later said he had never heard of it happening before and the next time the same situation could happen was 1999-2000.

Grainger
20th Apr 2006, 23:16
Thought this was going to be about the village plagued by numbnuts with satnavs driving into a river and getting stuck.

Even though there are lots of signs up saying that the ford is impassable, many drivers claim that they carried on anyway because their satellite navigation systems "told them to". :rolleyes:

Apparently the local farmer is doing a roaring trade fishing them out with his tractor at 75 quid a go :ok:

colmac747
20th Apr 2006, 23:17
I've had tears filling up reading that, Drapes:{ :{
But, in a moment of clarity:
the next time the same situation could happen was 1999-2000.
Did it occur afterall?

Will 2099-2100 be a damp-squib?

tilewood
20th Apr 2006, 23:24
Drapes that was great.

I am off to bed now to dream of warm nights on deck.

But I never know what day it is, let alone what year. That's what
living in Essex does for you!! :p

BigDan
20th Apr 2006, 23:25
Thought this was going to be about the village plagued by numbnuts with satnavs driving into a river and getting stuck.

Even though there are lots of signs up saying that the ford is impassable, many drivers claim that they carried on anyway because their satellite navigation systems "told them to". :rolleyes:

Apparently the local farmer is doing a roaring trade fishing them out with his tractor at 75 quid a go :ok:

There's a part of the Severn that is served by a pedestrian ferry. My sat nav has tried a few times to send me into the wet stuff because it thinks there's a bridge....

C-dog
20th Apr 2006, 23:30
Drapes,

Where did he get 4 more navigators from? With the mate that would give 5 on board. Ah well I s'pose it was a pazzy boat after all, bet they weren't happy to be dragged away from sha....ng the female passengers!

Would've thought that an ex seafarer like you would suss that the next fix after evening stars would be morning stars the next day. Don't take 4 navigators to work out a DR pos between stars & midnight - could have let them get on with their sha....ng!

On a similar vein I was once the closest person on earth to the sun (not far away from the Warrimoo's pos'n). Was taking the noon sight and noticed the lat & declination were near enough the same, so popped up to the monkey island and sure nuff the suns alt was as near 90 degrees as dammit. Pity nobody on board gave a shit!:(

tony draper
20th Apr 2006, 23:36
Well in my day the Second Mate did the navigating, but every one of the deck officers would have been capable of taking a star fix from the Captain down to the Deck Apprentices, Merchant ships don't carry a navigator as such.
:cool:

Howard Hughes
21st Apr 2006, 01:23
1999-2000 added the additional possibility of being in two different millenia also.;)
Pity you did'nt tell us about this earlier Mr Draper....:ok:

PS: Looks like you've got the whole time travel question sorted out too.;)

Why does my post look like a collection of sound bites?

No Further Requirements
21st Apr 2006, 01:38
Actually, doesn't a century finish at the end of 1900, 2000 etc and begin anew in 1901, 2001........?

Hate to kill the party, but that's how it is isn't it?

Cheers,

NFR.

Hobo
21st Apr 2006, 06:54
Absolutely right NFR. Dec31st 1999 was the first time the century/millenium was celebrated a year early. If you look in press archives the end of the 19th century was celebrated throughout the world on 31st Dec 1900 not 31st Dec1899. I think it was the dumbing down media hype of seeing 3 zeros appear that got everybody going.

Blacksheep
21st Apr 2006, 07:04
So the Millenium Dome was actually finished a year early?

acbus1
21st Apr 2006, 07:22
The Millenuim Dome was finished the day someone dreamt it up. :*

Devlin Carnet
21st Apr 2006, 09:58
Mmm, interesting but I disagree, the 31st december 1999 sees you moving out of the 20th century into the 21st, thereby moving into another millenium.

SLFguy
21st Apr 2006, 10:02

F*ck me..it was 25 quid yesterday!

GreenWings
21st Apr 2006, 11:44
Mmm, interesting but I disagree, the 31st december 1999 sees you moving out of the 20th century into the 21st, thereby moving into another millenium.

Nah it wouldn't. There was no year 0. Went from 1 BC to 1AD. 1 AD was the first year of the first century AD therefore 100 AD would be the 100th year. 101 AD would therefore be the first year of the Second Century AD. Fast forward a bit to 2000, which would be the 2000th year AD. Only at the end of that would you move into the 21st century, ie 2001. QED.

cheers

GW

green granite
21st Apr 2006, 12:00
Every new sequence starts at 0, the first year runs therefore, between 0 - 1,
at 0000hrs 1st jan 2001 the century is 1 year old :8

Devlin Carnet
21st Apr 2006, 12:10
GreenWings,
Very interesting that, I had never thought of there not being a year 0.
Suppose you cant have a year of our lord 0,
So, I stand corrected.
I think :hmm:

Farmer 1
21st Apr 2006, 12:29
Green granite,

You're wrong, and GreenWings is right. In this instance the count started at 1, not 0.

Now, if I were pedantic, I would point out that the year now is AD2006, not 2006AD.

Dop
21st Apr 2006, 12:43

That's called a Stupidity Tax!

green granite
21st Apr 2006, 12:43
Farmer 1

So you're 0 on your first birthday are you? :hmm:

joe2812
21st Apr 2006, 13:04
So at the moment, we're in our 2006th year... And we've completed 2005.3 (ish) years?

:confused:

Devlin Carnet
21st Apr 2006, 13:10
Green Granite,
Yes you are 0 on your birthday, and you are 1 when you've lived for a year.
But..
That doesnt apply here, we arent talking age.

Farmer 1
21st Apr 2006, 13:30
Farmer 1
So you're 0 on your first birthday are you? :hmm:

Exactly! (We only ever have one birthday.)

And on the first anniversary I would be one year old.

green granite
21st Apr 2006, 13:35
So the new millenium is 1 year old at the begining of 2001 then
And yes we ARE talking about birthdays here, JC's

Grainger
21st Apr 2006, 14:32
Wouldn't it be more to the point just to declare that they got it wrong by a year once - at the start - than by assuming that we've been a year out every time since then ?

G-CPTN
21st Apr 2006, 15:09
When I'm 99 I'll be looking forward to my second hundred years . . . :E

Smudger
21st Apr 2006, 18:59
That bloke with the tractor..... as he was about to rescue yet another satnav victim (an attractive young woman) from the water, he said " you're the fifth pregnant woman I've pulled out of here today", she said; "I'm not pregnant!" and he said ; " and you're not out of the bloody water yet either!". (Acknowledgement to JethRo)

Onan the Clumsy
21st Apr 2006, 19:24
Freak of Navigation

Wait a minute...didn't Jerricho qualify as a navigator?

:E

tony draper
21st Apr 2006, 19:33
Some of you folks have no poetry in yer souls.
Supprised none of you have picked up on the probably inacuracy of such position fixes in those days, one would have thought to fix one's position with such accuracy would be to test modern GPS and station keeping kit to the full.
Never the less, twas a great story.
:rolleyes:
One pinched it from another website.