PDA

View Full Version : Kerala, India

Rollingthunder
20th Apr 2006, 16:31
Anyone been? Watched a documentary about it. Seems lush, interesting and civilized.

ExSimGuy
20th Apr 2006, 17:04
Dunno, but lots of expats from Keralla here in the Middle-East. I once asked one what was wrong with Keralla, he said it was lovely, so I asked why all the guys from there are in Audi Sarabia :E

airship
20th Apr 2006, 17:14
They're better educated than yer average Indian apparently. Women too. Because of the determined efforts of a somewhat leftish state government over a long period (several decades IIRC) :ok:

The only problem is that regardless of how intelligent Keralan women are or what a pretty face they have...they have buck teeth. (Well, I went to school with a girl from Kerela and she had buck teeth.) We were only 13 year olds at the time, but I well remember the day she and this other 16 year old classmate (who'd failed several years running) were both expelled for mysterious 'after-class' classroom activities... :confused:

slim_slag
20th Apr 2006, 17:27
Was over there quite recently and the changes since my previous visit 20 years ago were absolutely amazing. They have worked out how to keep western package tourists happy and healthy in their little tourist resorts. Of course you pay through the nose in Indian terms, but still a bargain compared to western prices. Venture outside the package tourist areas with your backpack and the changes over 20 years are not so pronounced. Well worth a vist, use the cheap package deals to get a base and go down the station and buy some railway tickets. Kerala is a lovely place and nowhere near as hard work as places further north.

(There were some package tourists on a guided tour of the railways on one of my trips. My ticket bought at the station cost me less than 50p, theirs bought through their tour rep closer to 20. But they did get sandwiches and some orange juice :))

VC10Conway
20th Apr 2006, 17:50
You're absolutely right Rollingthunder - it IS lush, intersting and civilised. I'd recommend it to anybody wanting to go to India. It has everything from idyllic backwaters to hill stations to bustling towns to beaches. Kerala claims to be the world's first democratically elected communist state - the communist government having ensured a very high level of education. The state is predominantly Hindu, but also has many Christians and Moslems. I'm heading back there for my third visit this year.

milehigh2006
20th Apr 2006, 20:02
Shame i still havn't been there. .. its just a down south trip for me...ohhh yeahh heard the Backwaters are amazing.. Now that makes me think about planning my trip some time soon :rolleyes: And to be honest there is so much to see in this country... but i reckon one just take the place for granted.. :P

http://www.keralabackwater.com/