PDA

View Full Version : Tattoo removal on NHS for transvestite

Mariner9
20th Apr 2006, 14:36
Hmm, could be Mr ex-Matelot, Drapes , or myself...

Tattoo removal on NHS for ex sailor (http://www.manchesteronline.co.uk/men/news/health/s/211/211096_sexchange_tattoo_op_on_nhs.html)

A FORMER sailor who became a woman after sex-swap surgery has secured NHS funding to have her tattoos removed.
Tanya Bainbridge, 57, from Middleton, says she needs the 2,500 laser treatment because her tattoos are "unladylike" and she can't wear sleeveless dresses in the summer.
Middleton and Heywood Primary Care Trust has approved the funding and Tanya is waiting for a date for surgery at Charing Cross Hospital in London, where she underwent her 20,000 sex-change operation on the NHS in 2001.
It is understood that health bosses will also pick up the tab for her travel expenses.
Anger
The decision to pay for tattoo removal has angered campaigners who were forced to fight for funding to receive the potentially life-saving breast cancer wonder drug herceptin.
Radcliffe mum-of-two Amanda D'argue, who has just started herceptin treatment after a 12-month campaign, said patients should be prioritised for NHS treatment according to need.
The 39-year-old said Tanya's gender was not an issue but people should be forced to pay for tattoo removal because they were a personal choice.
"Having tattoos is a personal choice. Being diagnosed with cancer is not," Amanda said.
"Funding for life-saving treatment should take precedent over funding for cosmetic treatment.
Trusts say that the money is not there - surely there should be some sort of prioritisation."
Designs
Unemployed Tanya, who fathered nine children as Brian Bainbridge before becoming a woman, says the surgery is essential for her well-being on "psychological" grounds. She had large naval designs tattooed on her forearms during a 12-year span in the Merchant Navy from 1964 as well as other personal tattoos.
She said: "I understand that spending NHS cash on removing my tattoos might be controversial but it is essential for my well-being.
"I have suffered from depression and the tattoos are not very ladylike.
"I know there are cancer patients who can't get funding on the NHS, and I can see their side, but it is my life and I am entitled to this as much as anyone else.
"I wish I had never had my tattoos done but I can't change that now. I need to get rid of them to make me more feminine."
Depressed
Tanya lives with her partner of five years Mark Sutton, 48, in Hollins, Middleton.
He told the M.E.N. that the tattoos had made her depressed.
Mark said: "She has had a letter confirming the funding and is waiting for a date.
"She just wants rid of the tattoos. They have been depressing her and she is embarrassed.
"She wants to wear short sleeve shirts as they do not look very ladylike. She is a new person these days."
A spokesman for Middleton and Heywood Primary Care Trust said: "We are unable to comment on this case because of the Data Protection Act."

colmac747
20th Apr 2006, 14:47
She/he should be made to scrape them off. :mad: Not use the NHS (AGAIN):*

Anyway, what do the tattoos say/reveal i wonder?

frostbite
20th Apr 2006, 14:48
"We are unable to comment on this case because of the Data Protection Act."

That's the first time I've heard that used as an excuse!

Today.

airship
20th Apr 2006, 15:10
But which way is "up"?! If these ops were like bridges and crowns, everyone would want one on the NHS... :(

Wyler
20th Apr 2006, 15:17
To save money from the already overstretched service, may I suggest that a better way would be to immerse the freak in boiling oil until all blemishes were gone.

Just a thought.

ExSimGuy
20th Apr 2006, 15:18
"I need to get rid of them to make me more feminine."

. . . and next a "boob job" to make someone more feminine, while cancer or hip replacement patients wait :mad:

(hang on, could I get my "thingy" enlarged on the National Elf to make me more masculine?) :confused:

Solid Rust Twotter
20th Apr 2006, 15:22
High tech = Angle grinder

Low tech = Tin snips and pliers

:*

VH-MTT
20th Apr 2006, 15:24
If you are a Woman trapped inside a mans body, why would you Father 9 children? sounds like she is just taking the nhs for a ride.

and what state are her arms going to be after the surgery, better to show off scarred arms than tattoo'd ones?

some people just arn't happy within themselves, she'll be back in a few months for some other treatment rather than sorting out the main problem she has with her self image.

IMHO

xana
20th Apr 2006, 15:31
O
M
F
G
:eek:

perusal
20th Apr 2006, 15:35
Leave her alone everybody. She's suffered depression, poor thing. Not her fault.

Huggyfluffyhuggy......

allan907
20th Apr 2006, 15:42
Scrape them off???!!! How could you be so unthinking!

What is needed is for her/him to be tied by the ankles to a fast moving vehicle and dragged along a very very gritty stony road trailing the said forearms until all traces have been removed. (If that includes the person as well then bonus)

Grainger
20th Apr 2006, 15:51
Taken by itself this would just be an annoying but rather amusing story of daft mis-use of taxpayers' money. But in the following context it's nothing short of criminal:

Savings may close hospital ward (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/somerset/4926296.stm)

Hundreds more hospital jobs to go (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/west_midlands/4906152.stm)

Here's an idea to save some NHS money - fire the numbnut who approved this... :rolleyes:

tony draper
20th Apr 2006, 15:56
He musta sailed under the Red Duster, RN types always had very ladylike tattoos.
:rolleyes:

flyblue
20th Apr 2006, 16:00
Filed in the "What would you like to do to the Judges" section :E