PDA

View Full Version : Eastleigh to become RJ Mitchell Int'l Airport

WebPilot
20th Apr 2006, 14:31
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/hampshire/4925432.stm

I'm not a fan of this fad for naming airports, however in this case it is spot on and long overdue.

jabberwok
20th Apr 2006, 14:35
Very apt and much better than Robin Hood!

I note the article only says "could be" and that the final decision rests with the BAA.

fradu
20th Apr 2006, 14:58
The locals all support this campaign, which is just about all they support. :ok:

Evanelpus
20th Apr 2006, 15:57
Here we go again.

Awaiting news that Birmingham International has been renamed Jasper Carrott International, now where is the cowin' Bovril??

fradu
20th Apr 2006, 16:36
An alternative has been suggested for Eastleigh in the local rag...

Benny Hill International.
You can just picture all the tugs chasing the Dash 8s up and down the taxiways. ;)

PPRuNe Pop
20th Apr 2006, 17:10
I have to say that R J Mitchell is not a name, or man, worthy of jokes. However, I would rather see the name as Mitchell International Airport - although there is one in the USA and named after Billy Mitchell.

Perpetuating his name in such a public way is not before time.

PPP

fradu
20th Apr 2006, 19:10
Hopefully BAA will agree to rename it to Mitchell International, although they have refused to rename it Eastleigh Airport in the past, which is what it should be.

teeteringhead
21st Apr 2006, 07:57
Highly appropriate and a fine tribute - dare I suggest much more so than the names (actual and future) of EGGP and EGAC, which I must confess I still think of as Speke and Sydenham......

fradu
21st Apr 2006, 11:39
Local councillors backed the move at a meeting yesterday, just as BAA released this statement to the local rag…

"We understand the desire to celebrate R J Mitchell's achievements and we do this in a number of ways here at Southampton Airport.
These include the Spitfire Loop and Mitchell Way roads at the Airport, and a replica of the prototype Spitfire on public display in the airport terminal.

"We recently hosted the re-enactment of the first flight of the Spitfire on March 5th, which included a flypast of parts of Eastleigh and Southampton.

"We are currently sponsoring a Spitfire Exhibition at Eastleigh Museum, which opened this week and will run until May 27th.

"However, we will not be renaming the Airport, as we believe the traditional, geography-based name helps passengers to easily understand our location, especially our international visitors."

:(

B Fraser
21st Apr 2006, 19:45
That should amuse the Dornier and Fokker crews :}