View Full Version : No More Fulldowns

vaqueroaero
20th Apr 2006, 12:11
The FAA has finally decided that full down autorotations are to be removed from the flight syllabus. It is now no longer a requirement at any level.
Date: April 10, 2006
To: All Regional Flight Standards Division Managers
Manager, Regulatory Support Division, AFS-600
Manager, Civil Aviation Registry, AFS-700
Manager, General Aviation and Commercial Division, AFS-800
From: James J. Ballough, Director, Flight Standards Service, (original signed by John M. Allen)
Prepared by: John D. Lynch
Subject: Elimination of the Simulated Power-off Autorotation to a Touchdown Task on the Flight Instructor - Rotorcraft Helicopter and Gyroplane Practical Test
I have decided to eliminate the simulated power-off autorotation to a touchdown task from the Flight Instructor Practical Test Standards for Rotorcraft Helicopter, and Gyroplane, FAA-S-808 1 -7A. Effective the date of this memorandum, the requirement for performing a touchdown autorotation on the Flight Instructor-Rotorcraft (Helicopter and Gyroplane) practical test is no longer required.
Furthermore, this memorandum eliminates the need for the National Resource Inspector Program designation for aviation safety inspectors who conduct proficiency checks and practical tests in helicopters that require applicants to perform the simulated power-off autorotation to a touchdown task. This National Resource Inspector Program designation was established when FAA Notice 8700.39, Requirements for Simulated Power-Off Autorotation to a Touchdown, was issued. FAA Notice 8700.39 expired on March 21,2006.
As a result of eliminating the simulated power-off autorotation to a touchdown task from the practical test, there are no other requirements for performing touchdown autorotation in helicopters on proficiency checks or practical tests. Therefore, aviation safety inspectors and designated pilot examiners are no longer authorized to require applicants to perform the simulated power-off autorotation to a touchdown task on the Flight Instructor-Rotorcraft (Helicopter and Gyroplane) practical test.
I am requesting that this memorandum be distributed to all Flight Standards District Offices and the Airmen Certification Branch, AFS-760, for dissemination to aviation safety inspectors, designated pilot examiners, part 141 pilot schools, and the other helicopter training providers in areas of jurisdiction.
Until the Flight Instructor Practical Test Standards for Rotorcraft, Helicopter, and Gyroplane, FAA-S-808 1 -7A, is revised, please comply with the policy contained in this memorandum. If you should have further questions, please contact Inspector John D. Lynch, Certification and General Aviation Operations Branch, AFS-810, at (202) 267-8212.
Comments?

thecontroller
20th Apr 2006, 12:22
well, thats going to save the students some money! it takes at least 5 hours of training to perfect full-downs in an r22

Agaricus bisporus
20th Apr 2006, 12:25
Fulldown???

Does that mean EOL?

JimL
20th Apr 2006, 12:38
That is a very wise and imaginative decision.

Jim

HillerBee
20th Apr 2006, 12:58
It is removed from the PTS (Pilots Test Standards), that doesn't mean it's removed from the syllabus. In fact as I understood you now need an endorsment from an instructor that you are proficient in full-downs (EOL's)

The reason why they removed it from the PTS is a lot of examiners felt very uncomfortable doing them and as a result of checkride-stress a lot of them were not executed properly.

Lightning_Boy
20th Apr 2006, 13:16
That'll take all the fun out of instructing :E

thecontroller
20th Apr 2006, 13:36
hey lightning boy, i can tell you don't teach in the r22!

now get back to the books!

Head Turner
20th Apr 2006, 15:04
You should continue to teach them for the students benefit so they know what to do in an emergency, but they won't be tested on them.
A wise decision and cleaner underpants for the examiner!!!

remote hook
20th Apr 2006, 15:47
That's ridiculous. Typical Beuracratic BS.

The full-on auto is a VERY important part of learning helicopter control, and that training has saved numberous lives over the years. Doing power recoveries followed by a bunch of hovering Autos doesn't cut it. How can you give a student a license if they can't demonstrate taking a helicopter to the ground??

RH

R22DRIVER
20th Apr 2006, 17:35
Well said RH,

When i did my PPL training in the UK, all we did was full down auto's, none of this powered recovery stuff.

I think terminating the auto is one of the most important skills a pilot needs to learn. Its ok learing how to enter, get your spot and keep your RPM's but all that is useless if you bin the heli into the floor.

I dont know how here in the US they can expect to send off a student who has never even been shown a fulldown, let alone him save his own ass with one.

Fulldowns should be as much a part of the syllabus as hovering.

When that donkey goes, you only have ONE chance to get it right!

R22 IMHO

Hughes500
20th Apr 2006, 17:38
Well the FAA have done what the UK CAA have done, bow to operator pressure as operators are stuffing their aircraft - the reason - they are using a helicopter that is a dangerous training helicopter that was never designed as a teaching machine.

I am heading for my underground bunker now

remote hook
20th Apr 2006, 20:22
500, I alomost said the same thing in my earlier post!

Use the proper equipment for training, and we wouldn't have this issue would we? Take the 47 or the 300, you can full-on those things all day long... and it's been done for decades now.

RH

Dolmangar
20th Apr 2006, 20:24
I'm not really qualified to express much of an opinion, being a new PPL. But let me ask a question or two and exercise that business degree that paid so much for.
Obviously full training in every emergency procedure is important to all pilots. But from a PRACTICAL stand point, where is the line of cost/benefit between auto the ground, and an auto to a power recovery hover.
I would agree that knowing how to get all the way to the ground is the better way from a non-financial standpoint, but does it A) raise insurance rates? (which I assume increases training costs, rental/operating costs),

and/or

B) cause more accidents in practice then it does save airframes/lives in real EOLs? (Would you rather risk your airframe X times a week in practice, or once every Y years when you have a real engine failure?)

For my PPL, we only went to a low hover (Bell 47-G2). I've never done a full down auto (I hope to learn as I continue my training), so I don't know how difficult that last few feet is. I'm sure it is very difficult to get it smooth, and "pretty". It took a while to get the feel of power recovery, and make it look calm and orderly. In a real EOL, obviously smooth and pretty are secondary to surviving the landing, and reducing airframe damage. Experience leads to confidence and hopefully a calmer state of mind during an emergency, which hopefully leads to a higher survivability rate.

Anyone have numbers on the number of EOL incidents where that final few feet between the hover and a full down were the deciding factor? If you get the aircraft all the way to the hover (i.e. don't botch the entry, landing selection, maintain RRPM etc) what is % of times someone blew it in the final 5 feet?

What's the cost of that final 5 feet?
What's the cost if you're a pax and which pilot would you feel comfortable with?

Mike
Bell 47-G2
Northern Virginia, USA

Darren999
20th Apr 2006, 20:27
We use Bell 47's and our last 2 appliciants for CFI completed the maneover, after the FAA examier got out, an said Way you go... Full down Autorotation please
I musy admit they are easier in the 47 especially when you only have 1 person in there......

Flingwing207
21st Apr 2006, 00:09
The full-on auto is a VERY important part of learning helicopter control...I agree...and that training has saved numberous lives over the years.Actually, there have been very few (if any) injuries or deaths attributed to the last 5' after a proper flare. People get killed because they fail to lower the collective, go in the wrong direction, fly the wrong airspeed, don't flare, hit things, and generally screw up the stuff before the flare. A properly trained power recovery will become a servicable touchdown almost automatically. Doing power recoveries followed by a bunch of hovering Autos doesn't cut it. How can you give a student a license if they can't demonstrate taking a helicopter to the ground??Quite easily. As stated above, with the proper training, even a solo student should walk away from an engine failure. The helicopter may be bent, but so what. The chances of a helo getting bent in practice EOLs (especially an R22) is hugely greater than the chance of an engine failure. Just check the accident reports - the numbers speak for themselves.

brett s
21st Apr 2006, 00:18
When going through my PPL training (in R22's) touchdown auto's weren't on the lesson plan - but I had them demonstrated anyways by the CFI because I wanted to see. He was fine with that, although the school's owner didn't like it very much!

When getting my CPL(H) about 15 years ago, same thing - wasn't required to do any to the ground for the practical test but I was comfortable doing them. Again it was because I asked & did a bunch, this was in Bell 47's so they were very relaxed compared to the R22.

I can see the point of not requiring them on the practical test, but I'd still prefer to be trained in them personally.

remote hook
21st Apr 2006, 00:53
Fling 207:

It seems we're close to agreement, but I have to stress that the pilot who has done numerous full-ons will react better to the INTITIAL 5 seconds of a real engine failure because they are not going into the unknown. That is very important. You are correct that lowering the pole, maintaining control of the machine, and making a spot are vital - but so is making that spot with the machine in the best possible state(ie. RRPM and A/S) to successully complete the proceedure. Power recoveries cannot simulate that.

I'm not saying the last five feet are the problem, what I am saying is the comfort level with the WHOLE proceedure is dependant on the pilot having those experiences. Will he/she have a quick heart attack when the engine quits for real? You bet, but after that moment, how will they react? In my experience, people fear the unknown, and to that end I feel that having many full-ons under ones belt is to everyone's advantage from a survivability standpoint.

Now, I do agree that in the number of machines being wrecked in practice autos is greater than cost alone would justify, but looking at this from strictly a cost perspective is a crude approach. People's lives are at stake when these rare events occur, and having a pilot not fully versed and trained in all aspects of the operation, is boarderline neglegent. We also must use the right machinery to train on, if certian helicopters are not conducive to safely training pilots to an accpetable standard, then don't use them.

My $0.02

RH

thecontroller
21st Apr 2006, 01:45
"if certian helicopters are not conducive to safely training pilots to an accpetable standard, then don't use them"

easier said than done. the r22 dominates the industry.

bellfest
21st Apr 2006, 01:50
Yet you can still do jammed control run ons at twice the speed and half the control:confused:

Flingwing207
21st Apr 2006, 05:26
Fling 207:
It seems we're close to agreement,...and yet so far away....but I have to stress that the pilot who has done numerous full-ons will react better to the INTITIAL 5 seconds of a real engine failure because they are not going into the unknown....and here's the disagreement. Are you saying that just because a pilot has not dropped the skids the last five feet, they won't be able to properly enter autorotation, head for a landing spot, get turned into the wind, maintain the proper glide speed, check, flare, level and pull pitch? I heartily disagree. If you are level, slow and at proper skid height following your flare, the least important thing is whether the engine is there or not. You are correct that lowering the pole, maintaining control of the machine, and making a spot are vital - but so is making that spot with the machine in the best possible state(ie. RRPM and A/S) to successully complete the proceedure.We agree again Power recoveries cannot simulate that.But again, not here. Power recoveries DO simulate that, if properly trained.We also must use the right machinery to train on, if certian helicopters are not conducive to safely training pilots to an accpetable standard, then don't use them...and here I am with you 100%, unfortunately people would rather have cheap than good, so we get flight schools full of R22s. :hmm:

peter manktelow
21st Apr 2006, 05:37
I have seen photographic proof that what counts is what you do at the top of the auto....yes , I agree with R22Driver that you may "bin the heli into the floor" at the bottom but screw it up at the top and you die , screw it up at the bottom and you can still walk away. There are still bits of a 206 sitting near Mt Wilhelm in PNG that bear testimony to a successful engine out entry and approach to a razor back ridge with a lousy touchdown. The machine became a piece of survival equipment but we all walked away.
I loved doing full on autos in training (not power recovery) in single engine helicopters. Good fun. In twins , we stopped doing it back in the 80's but we still do power recovery autos. Important for the entry , the procedures on the way down....then......
Fly safe (and enjoy) ..Peter:8

remote hook
21st Apr 2006, 06:31
Why do you guys insist on talking about the last five feet??? A good auto to a bad spot is preferable to a bad auto to a good spot.

Peter, your story is good, and I'm glad you came out ok, but I could dredge up numerous accident reports where pilots screwed up the last portion of the auto and allowed RRPM to decay, A/S to fall off, and over/undershot the desired landing spot - many being fatal.

Once you roll the throttle back up, the excercise is over. You cannot get any meaningful information about what happens during the flare once the power is back. How do you teach various methods of steepening or lengthening the flare, or the retreival of RRPM during the flare in a power revovery - you don't, peroid.

So you can PROPERLY SIMULATE all the power recoveries you want, but you'll be leaving out a huge amount of information as to what goes on at the end - where it counts. If every engine failure ended up over a road or a nice big field, fine - but they don't, and I've seen the resluts when a flare into a tight LZ in 60ft trees goes wrong.

If you want to believe that power recoveries are teaching you all you need, great, whatever lets you sleep well at night... But there are a great many guys out there who've had the misfortune of experiencing the real thing over lousy terrain who'd disagree with you. I believe that we should all be doing everything possible to stack the odds in our favour, that includes, but is not limited to, training full-ons.

Then again, safey's a great thing until someone points out the $$$ of it...

RH

Flingwing207
21st Apr 2006, 06:53
'hook,
I think you may not have the picture of the power recovery I'm talking about. I'm talking about the power coming in after the flare, when the skids are just off of the ground, not a go-around after a simulated engine failure. Autos are about technique and tactics - tactics don't need the touchdown, and the only part of technique that should be different is what happens after the flare - put another way, any good power recovery could become a touchdown simply by not joining the needles as you pull pitch. I'm not debating the fact that practicing touchdowns will make you better at touchdowns. I'm just missing the life-threatning aspect of terminating a maneuver by rolling on throttle at 5' AGL with low or no groundspeed versus not rolling on the throttle at 5' AGL with low or no groundspeed. I guess I don't share your belief that a power recovery to a hover is significantly different than a touchdown, except where possible damage to the aircraft is concerned.

Dolmangar
21st Apr 2006, 14:23
'hook,
I think you may not have the picture of the power recovery I'm talking about. I'm talking about the power coming in after the flare, when the skids are just off of the ground, not a go-around after a simulated engine failure.

I was wondering the same thing. The power recovery autos that I did in training brought the power in after the flare, at about the same time you pushed the cyclic forward to avoid hitting the tail. Airspeed was just about zero (depending on how well I did) and we were close to the ground.

The flare ofcourse brought in some RRPM, and during the flare we were spooling up the throttle so that we could join the needles at the end of the flare (this ended up being more difficult timing wise then the rest of the auto).

I spoke to a Blackhawk pilot once who told me that they tend to recover much higher in training (50 - 100 ft?) is this standard practice?

I certainly agree that there's no substitute for the real thing. But since I don't own the helicopter, I can understand that there might be pressure from the flight schools and operators to restrict the requirement for doing full down autos.

If this is (was) only a CFI requirement, how many full down autos are being done?

Gordy
21st Apr 2006, 15:16
It is removed from the PTS (Pilots Test Standards), that doesn't mean it's removed from the syllabus. In fact as I understood you now need an endorsement from an instructor that you are proficient in full-downs (EOL's)
The reason why they removed it from the PTS is a lot of examiners felt very uncomfortable doing them and as a result of checkride-stress a lot of them were not executed properly.

Simply not correct---As far as I know, and endorsement is NOT required.
There has been NO official reason as to why it has been removed. I doubt that it has anything to do with "examiner stress".

JohnL,
I'm with you. I will still continue to teach touchdowns, however, I am in agreement that a CFI applicant should not have to demonstrate proficiency to a set standard. Most of the "bad incidents" of wrecked aircraft that I am aware of personally, were caused by trying to complete a touchdown when they should have power recovered. Applicants were trying so hard to get within the 50 requirement that they sacrifice rpm, airspeed and/or attitude and still try to put the thing down. Another option that probably was NOT considered by the FAA, would be to have separated out the auto, ie. Have a requirement to complete a 180 degree power recovery to within 50 feet of an assigned point, followed by another auto to touchdown from a straight in to a runway, ignoring the requirement to arrive at a specific point. This way both skills are tested and the risk is "somewhat" reduced.

Just my personal $0.02.

HillerBee
21st Apr 2006, 15:54
I didn't say examiners-stress I said checkride stress, meaning the applicant of course.

Gordy
21st Apr 2006, 16:33
I didn't say examiners-stress I said checkride stress, meaning the applicant of course.

I stand corrected. As for the endorsement---I agree that there probably should be one. That way it somewhat ensures that an applicant has some touchdown training. It was mentioned on the initial letter pushed about by the FAA and was obviously discussed. The most recent document eliminating the td auto makes no mention, of course the FAA may change their mind and make it a requirement.

bblades
21st Apr 2006, 22:50
and J.D. you trained me oh so well !!!
dcb

Hiro Protagonist
21st Apr 2006, 23:11
The old definition chestnut is raising its confusing head again.
In Australia the difference between a “Power recovery” and a “Power terminated” auto is clearly defined (but still confused by many:* ).
A “recovery” can be initiated at any phase of the auto, typically at a couple of hundred feet during a pfl, obviously much lower if noise, wires, stock, neighbours permit.
A “terminated” auto is where pwr is introduced simply to prevent the skids contacting the ground.
It would take a lot of the heat out of the debate if we could stick to these standard definitions.
Mr Skids on ;) ;)
This issue may be a matter of which side of which pond you're on, as here in the U.S. I've never heard of a "power terminated" auto (which sounds like all power has been terminated :E ). Likewise, it's likely different for those who trained in turbine machines where the throttle must be brought back into play much sooner versus those who trained in pistons with their fast throttle response.

nigelh
21st Apr 2006, 23:23
I will put money on it that all the pilots wanting to do full EOL,s do not own the machines themselves and dont pay the insurance !!:ok: Anybody who says the last 5 ft are critical are talking Bxxxxxks. It is just untrue to say that, the fact is that most fatalities come from problems in the entry of the autorotation . If you have the correct airspeed and a full up rrpm then after your flare you will be 1) nearly stationary 2)very low vert descent ....IF you have chosen a good spot you will be very unfortunate to be hurt. If you want to go practicing full autos to the ground then the insurance companies should just not pay up and give us all a break on our premiums.......if you are THAT confident of your skills then the odd 30 seconds without insurance shouldnt bother you eh?????:ok: :ok: having said this no doubt some twit will stuff his robbo in doing one tommorow:confused:

Hiro Protagonist
22nd Apr 2006, 00:10
How would you describe the difference between an auto that was “power recovered” prior to the flair (perhaps at several hundred feet), and one that was “terminated” as it was sinking after the flair on your side of the pond?
MS

I've never really thought about the terminology we used, but I would break it down like this...

Autorotation -> flare -> power recovery = auto; "We did about four autos in today's flight." -- This being the norm.

Autorotation -> flare -> touchdown = fulldown; "I wish my school didn't prohibit me from teaching fulldowns." -- fulldown gets it's own name, as it's so rare.

Autorotation -> power recovery -> fly away (no flare) = power recovery / go around / I don't know if I really had a term for this; "If I give you any simulated engine failures on todays flight, we'll terminate them in a power recovery at 300' agl." (School prohibition on carrying an off airport auto below 300' agl.) -- I think I usually would simply call this a go around.

I dislike doing "needles joined" flares in r22s as either they are unrealistic (too much pitch pulled) or the Nr increases and splits the needles anyway when you flare.

As to the original topic, my .02 is that it's a shame that fulldowns are being eliminated from the CFI PTS. IMHO it should be demonstrated to students prior to solo (I was not allowed to to this where I taught), and demonstrated BY students before commercial. As to cost / benefit comparisons etc, my vote is we strive to master the machine, and fulldowns are a step in the right direction.

An endorsement requirement would be better than nothing, but I can name at least one flight school in the states that would probably just pencil whip that training in about 2 seconds flat.

Bottom line for me... Compared to teaching any type of auto to a "real" student in an r22, the TASK of demonstrating a fulldown to an examiner is a cakewalk. If you can't do a simple fulldown, how well will you teach "enhanced training in autorotations" required by SFAR 73.

edited for readability

Flingwing207
22nd Apr 2006, 01:00
If you can't do a simple fulldown, how well will you teach "enhanced training in autorotations" required by SFAR 73.SFAR 73 isn't about fulldowns, it's about managing RRPM from top to bottom. Robinson's own training syllabus has very little to say about what happens after levelling the flare.

How about "power recovery at altitude" vs "power recovery at the hover"?

Hiro Protagonist
22nd Apr 2006, 05:59
In my mind calling the two techniques the same thing is like saying “we did an hour of approaches – some with the engine at idle”:confused:
MS;)

I'm not claiming they shouldn't have different names, nor that the names you already have for them in your lexicon are inappropriate, I was just giving you a glimpse into the lexicon and training environment that I'm familiar with (in order to clear up / add to the confusion).

Were I still teaching I might adopt the "power terminated" term, but unfortunately, my company prefers if I avoid autos all together (I guess they might scare the tourists.) :( .

SFAR 73 isn't about fulldowns, it's about managing RRPM from top to bottom. Robinson's own training syllabus has very little to say about what happens after levelling the flare.

Ah, but my point is that managing RRPM from top to bottom, while doing non-standard manuevers to reach a specific spot, such as max glide configuration, zero airspeed or backwards autorotational descents, turns, etc. (which are the types of maneuvers that the Sacramento FSDO attaches to the term "enhanced") is all much more difficult, IMHO, than simply flying a fulldown auto, which means that cfi who can teach sfar maneuvers (and/or recieve an SFAR endorsement in the SAC FSDO) should find demonstrating a fulldown to be cake.

Basically I'm saying that teaching real autos to real students (in fake helicopter?:hmm: ) takes a lot of skill / training, and since that is one of the primary things a cfi will find him(or her)self doing, they should be pretty proficient at it by the time they become certified to teach it, which should make the completion of the fulldown TASK pretty easy.

I can agree with some that the final five feet aren't that difficult, and that if you can fly the auto to a powered hover in a good safe spot, you'll probably walk away from the real thing, but I see any lowering of the standards to be a step in the wrong direction.

22nd Apr 2006, 06:04
If you do it all the way to the ground and land using the decaying Nr - call it an EOL.

If you pull in the power just before you would touchdown - call it a flare recovery to the hover (power comes in after the flare)

If you pull in power before you start the flare - call it an overshoot or go-around.

Frankly the thought that a pilot could get all the way through to flying passengers without ever having completed an EOL is very scary. Maybe the US wants to get some decent examiners who can deal with 'checkride stress'. And before anyone starts, I have done EOLs in an R22 - they happen a bit quicker than on other types but they're not that bad, it's just a crap aircraft for teaching them on.

nigelh
22nd Apr 2006, 07:48
Thats great Crab, so i guess you will be paying for the one that you will bend, inevitably, due to the aircraft being "crap" !!!!! Do us a( owners and operators) favour and bring the power in after the flare, that way you will get away with ....a sudden drop in the wind speed , found the one piece of un even ground , ground was soft etc etc etc all good excuses for ballsing up the " last 5 feet " .....Why do it ???:mad:

McGowan
22nd Apr 2006, 10:20
I've actually done a couple of hours of instructing, mostly in the R22, some in the B47, H300 and a bit in turbines, B206, B206L, H500 and B407. My opinion is that touch down autos need to be done during initial training (I'm talking civilian, not military, so piston helicopters). Over here some schools do them to death, almost as though it happens that often that you need to be very good at it.
I think limited power is a more likely situation for helicopters than engine failure, it can happen without mechanical problems.
Fact is engines do fail, unfortunately, more often than not because "old mate behind the wheel didn't bring enough juice". So with that in mind, yes you need to be proficient at autos to the ground (or maybe make sure you your engine has the required fuel and maintenance).
So how often should you do touch down autos to remain proficient? (I've got no idea).
The question is how much money do you want to give insurance companies. It won't be long and schools won't be able to insure their aircraft for touch down autos as it will be cost prohibitive. Then what do we do.
I don't have any good answers to the problem, but who has???????????

bellfest
22nd Apr 2006, 11:44
How is it that a touch down auto is considered more risky than a run on landing with a jammed pedal or collective?
Or does that not come into the equation:confused:
They are all very controllable manouvers (at least they should be) in the right environment. It is not like any flight school will be rubbing their skids on a surface they are not familiar with.
It is a great bit of exposure and completion for the student to have a slide on the grass. The money that they pay for their ticket should ensure that the instuctor is proficient and able to provide as much quality exposure as possible.
In respect to the above if they really want to increase safety standards they should increase the minimum requirements for an instructors rating.
I realise that it has become a bit of an avenue to obtain hours early on but it is just not right. I am not having a go at the blokes who are doing it I think that the industry is the culprit that allows it.
Maybe I was a bit of a slow learner but I was still learning way too much with less than a 1000hrs to teach someone else to the extent that their dollars deserve. I would have started feeling comfortable with 2000/2500.
Most people will carry a lot of basic methods and traits from their initial training. Even the undisciplined ones. A lot of good advice and maybe a few scares along the way will adjust and improve(in most cases) their approach but your attitude towards aviation, to a larger part, is developed at the flying school.
That is why it should be value for money.

Hiro Protagonist
22nd Apr 2006, 13:31
...How is it that a touch down auto is considered more risky than a run on landing with a jammed pedal or collective?
Or does that not come into the equation:confused: ...

A good question, the flight school I taught at answered by prohibiting us from teaching those maneuvers either (we could only teach things outlined in the R22 training manual -- we may have exceded this mandate from time to time :ok: ). Conservative towards equipment, but limited scope in training.:yuk:

The money that they pay for their ticket should ensure that the instuctor is proficient and able to provide as much quality exposure as possible.
In respect to the above if they really want to increase safety standards they should increase the minimum requirements for an instructors rating...

I wholeheartedly agree. Sadly, this is not the case at most schools I've seen. When I started teaching, I may have been competent (debatable of course ;) ) but my ability to teach these types of maneuvers improved a great deal throughout the year and a half I taught.

Unfortunately, I can't think of an environment where I could have learned to be a better instructor, without being an instructor (where else does one get to do 20 - 30 + autos a day?) One possibility for better instruction in the future is the development of better simulators/FTDs which could allow for the removal of the risk of damage until the student (and instructor) are more competent.

Gotta go to work...

Flingwing207
22nd Apr 2006, 13:31
Right - so we're all in agreement, then!

BTW, at our little school (flying the mighty Schweizer), we demo EOLs to students before they solo They must be able to perform "approaches with the engine idling", followed by "flare recoveries", as well as power failure at the hover, aka "hover autos". They must also show proficiency at dealing with simulated engine failures to a go-around. Once post-solo, if a CFI feels a Private student will benefit from EOL practice, they are authorized to provide that training, after an O.K. from the chief (that's me). At the Commercial level, all students recieve EOL training, as well as training in engine failures on approach, departure, OGE hover and so on.

thecontroller
22nd Apr 2006, 13:38
flingwing:

that sounds like a sensible approach for students. im guessing you dont do all this stuff in the r22 as well?

Hughes500
22nd Apr 2006, 14:54
At my school ( using S300's) all students will have dome 10 EOL's before they go solo. The engine is very unlikely to fail but it is the biggest confidence boost you can give to a student.
The nub of the problem here is the inesxperience of instructors - the major reason machines get bent in EOL's

Flingwing207
22nd Apr 2006, 20:22
flingwing:
that sounds like a sensible approach for students. im guessing you dont do all this stuff in the r22 as well?You guess correctly! We removed R22s from our lineup about a year ago. 300CB/C/CBi and R44.