PDA

View Full Version : Maldivian-Air-Taxi

youngskywalker
20th Apr 2006, 10:42
Anyone got any info on this operator? I checked out the website and wrote to them but so far nothing heard. Any idea what sort of licence, experience they might accept? Looks like a fun job!

NZ X man
21st Apr 2006, 08:34
:)Is that on a twin otter on floats by chance?:confused:

Margarita
21st Apr 2006, 09:08
Thatīs the one. Pilots are having a "Bare Footed Pilot Club". Extremely busy operator at Male airport. Must be very interesting flying for a keen pilot.

badgerpuppy
21st Apr 2006, 13:09
actually went on it a few years back. Semmed to all be kiwis aussies and mainly canadians. They seemed to think that if you had a floatplane licence with multi engine rating and a few hundred hours of it then you would stand a chance. They also said that commanders are paid around a hundred thousand usd per annum but not much to the fo's at the time around fifteen thousand.

21st Apr 2006, 16:17
They also said that commanders are paid around a hundred thousand usd per annum

Did they now.... Thats got to be the best "Twotter" income i've ever heard - are the streets lined with candy canes and lollypops as well?

I guess they must be pretty flush with 200 hour TT crew then.

How much does it cost for a ticket on this aircraft ??? it would have to be pretty steep to pay for TWO pilots on a twin otter...

Sorry but you sound prettty gullable - Do you think they were trying to impress you.

Wireless
21st Apr 2006, 16:27
Used to live with a guy who was on the twotter with Borek and MAT before he came to the UK and joined our outfit. Said the money wasn't all that but was ok by Canadian rates. About 30k Canadian Dollars for F/o if I remember. He started with Borek in Canada before transfering with a couple of thousand hours on the twotter from working in the artic circle. He said most the guys he worked with were similar.

IMC007
21st Apr 2006, 17:04
Checked with MAT back in October 2005 and this is what they sent to me.

Company Requirements as of May 2005

Thank you for your interest in Maldivian Air Taxi. We are NOT currently hiring.

Pilot Requirements are as follows:

Minimum Requirements for Captain

Current (ICAO state), ATR or ATPL (Not frozen)
Total time: 3000
Float time: 1000
Turbine time: 500
Multi-engine: 500
DHC-6 Float time: 500
DHC-6 PIC time: 250

Minimum Requirements for First Officer

Current (ICAO state), Commercial License
Multi-engine rating
Instrument rating
Multi and Single engine Seaplane rating
Minimum 100hrs float PIC

If you are close to meeting the requirements for a Captain position but you are short on total float time or DHC-6 float time, you may be hired as a first officer. After you meet the minimum time requirements, upgrades are not automatic; they are based on at least 3 recommendations from 3 training Captains and positions available. Your initial hire date will be taken into account.

Your resume will be kept on file for one year. We will call if we need an update.

Thank you for your interest in employment with Maldivian Air Taxi.

Regards,

David S Kuruvita
Chief Pilot
Maldivian Air Taxi
[email protected]

Hope that helps. IMC007

Fried_Chicken
21st Apr 2006, 18:14
I've spoke to a couple of Pilots of these Twotters when they have been ferrying Keflavik-Coventry-Heraklion (or VV) either going on lease or off lease (I believe the aircraft are owned by Ken Borek in Canada). They seem a friendly bunch

FC

TenAndie
21st Apr 2006, 18:22
1234567 -

You might have made yourself sound a bit of a nob here mate as the captains at Air Taxi in the Maldives earn a fair sum of money ! There are a few that have just joined our company and the captains were on near 50 thousand pounds a year...........

badgerpuppy
21st Apr 2006, 21:06
tee hee, some people eh?

badgerpuppy
21st Apr 2006, 21:09
in fact, yes it was extremely expensive, and they run aaaaall day. so yes they make a stinking fortune.

21st Apr 2006, 21:40
Well call me stupid... :oh:

That seriously must be the best paid turbine job in the world..

Sorry if I sounded doubtful but even $50 pounds .... or USD 100,000 why would anyone ever leave ????

Take a 50% pay cut to fly a jet ... I don't think so.

The highest [by a long way] for a turbine job here is approx 22,000 pounds - and that is way above the average.

737 Captains don't even earn that much here....

paddyboy
21st Apr 2006, 22:44
737 Captains don't even earn that much here....

May I suggest a tattoo?

"MUG" straight across the forehead should fit nicely...;)

fmgc
21st Apr 2006, 23:41
The highest [by a long way] for a turbine job here is approx 22,000 pounds - and that is way above the average

Ģ22,000 for a Turbine Skipper? I think that you could double that in the UK.

$50 pounds

How much is that exactly?

NZ X man
22nd Apr 2006, 01:29
:)Flew with a captain years ago, DHL, who flew on that aircraft he said he did up to twenty,(20), yes count them, legs aday back and forth, and perhaps it is still the same. I wonder how long you could deal with that.

Then again things do change, could be 25 legs aday:eek:

youngskywalker
22nd Apr 2006, 09:51
Thanks for all the relplies! No idea how to get 100hours P1 on floats but will have to go have think about that one...

Margarita
22nd Apr 2006, 10:27
I got mine by taking a badly paid job above polar circle. Worked just fine, got over 1000 hrs on floats and learned to work for living. Maybe will work with you as well.

Metro man
22nd Apr 2006, 10:49
Can't confirm the exact pay figures but heard from someone who knew someone in there that the pay is very good. Obviously not too many spare pilots floating around with their relatively high minimum requirements:)

Seems glamorous but very isolated location, hard work and no alcohol may take the shine off for some.

youngskywalker
22nd Apr 2006, 13:48
No alcohol!! :sad:

Margarita
22nd Apr 2006, 14:11
No worries. At Hulhule Island (Airport) there is a Captain's Fun Pub. Lot of cold beer and crews staying overnight.

3PARA
29th Apr 2006, 20:01
Youngskywalker & no beer, that would be like a fish in the sahara :{