PDA

View Full Version : Composit Tape Laying Machine?

Ozgrade3
20th Apr 2006, 09:30
In some of the aviation magazines I have read in the past about the technique that Raytheon used to build the Premier 1 fuselage, where a mould of the fuselage shape is made and put on a rotating machine and the tape laying machine ( i think its called the viper) lays composite tape in strips as the mould rotates. End result is a super strong fuselage barel that can be lifted by two men with ease.

I saw Airbus uses the same machine for the tail of the A380. It seems the way to go for constructing a new aircraft.

I have been searching the net for info, artivles etc, but cant find anything. Does anyone have any links??

Cheers.

Hugh Jarse
20th Apr 2006, 10:02
It certainly beats a chopper gun:E

apache
20th Apr 2006, 11:04
For the right price, I can get you one! but, OZ, you must promise to use it for good... not evil!

Sunfish
20th Apr 2006, 20:34
I'm not sure these are available off the shelf. I know DSTO and others have been using this technique for at least thirty years. Try giving RMIT's composite technolgy centre at Fishermans bend a ring.

Ozgrade3
20th Apr 2006, 20:35
Ah Apache, long time no see.

I used to have an article on this type of construction filed away but cant find it now, and was trying to explain the concept to somoene the other night.

Oh well will keep searching.

djpil
21st Apr 2006, 02:54
Here's a bit of info for you:
http://www.sme.org/cgi-bin/find-articles.pl?&ME06ART20&ME&20060312&PUBME-66.249.72.46&SME&