PDA

View Full Version : Shed Owners Take Note

seacue
19th Apr 2006, 21:49
Be careful what you do in your shed.

BOYNTON BEACH, FL:
About 60 Palm Beach County sheriff's deputies, some wearing gas masks, and dozens of firefighters, responded to the explosion scene on the 7400 block of Hypoluxo Farms Road, where they found flames shooting from a trailer and a storage shed about 8:30 p.m. Residents blocks away complained of blown out windows, lights and speakers and several said the foundations on their homes were cracked by the massive explosion. Some also told of seeing a flash of light that looked like lightning, then hearing and feeling a loud explosion that was followed by more than 30 minutes of solid firecracker-like sounds.

tilewood
19th Apr 2006, 21:58
Serves him right! That's what comes from trying to make your own
whiskey!! ;)

G-CPTN
19th Apr 2006, 22:06
Curried eggs! Never again . . . :(

Loose rivets
20th Apr 2006, 06:42
s'funny, but the big money-earner here is making fireworks.

What's also funny, is the fact that people's homes often get a cracked slab. It's just like an auto accident. wonder if he's insured. Ooooohhhh, me BACK:ugh:

acbus1
20th Apr 2006, 06:48
It's never been that good for me.

Anyone know what magazines he was reading?

tilewood
20th Apr 2006, 06:52
It's never been that good for me.

Your doing it wrong, acbus!! :p

seacue
21st Apr 2006, 21:52
The user of the exploded shed was exploded along with the shed. He likely had no insurance. The news reports haven't been clear as to whether he rented the shed or was lent it. Lawyers will have a field day.

G-CPTN
21st Apr 2006, 21:56
He was probably 'H A V I N G a F A G!' :p

tony draper
21st Apr 2006, 22:26
I remember seeing a thing about a young nerdy American lad building a atomic pile in his shed,he collected the exotic elements needed by buying up dozens of smoke detectors and such and experts recon he may well have created some plutonium,the clean up squad came all space suited up chopped his shed to bits placed the bits in sealed drums and carted them away to a nuclear waste dump,if I recal correctly he got probabtion,and probably a few job offers.
One used to make ones own gunpowder in the olden days, made a gurt great tin of it but luckily used sugar insted of charcoal so when it was accidently ignited it just burned furiously like napalm,nobody was hurt by the gunpowder,but I was hurt by me father when he came in from work.
:uhoh:

tilewood
21st Apr 2006, 22:32
I remember seeing a thing about a young nerdy American lad building a atomic pile in his shed,he collected the exotic elements needed by buying up dozens of smoke detectors and such and experts recon he may well have created some plutonium

I think his shed is now in Iran!!;)

Solid Rust Twotter
22nd Apr 2006, 05:56
A demolition contractor about a mile from where I live used to store explosives in his garage illegally. He ended up taking out half the block one day and killing and maiming a couple of people. Think he's still in prison. I got back from the bush a couple of days after the explosion and found a local church looking like a refugee centre with all those who'd had their homes blown up living there, and the block cordoned off while the forensic types sniffed around.

Foss
22nd Apr 2006, 14:11
Another crap terrorist story. The terrorist, not the story (I hope).
Bloke making home making homemade explosive in the garage, coffee grinder stolen from a city center coffee shop, fertiliser, sugar and diesel. he's stirring this stuf on the concrete floor with a metal spade..
whump
Another ex terrorist.
Policeman at the scene tells Scenes of Crime Officer (SOCO), 'This idiot has blown himself up'.
SOCO man, 'Well him and two friends'.
Policeman, 'How can you tell, it's rubble'.
SOCO man,'We've found two willies and a female nipple'.
And the fight for freedom went on in garages and back garden sheds.
Fos :rolleyes:

G-CPTN
22nd Apr 2006, 14:35
I was present at the first commercial use of fertiliser as an explosive (well at least in the UK) to bring down a quarry face. The guys mixing wore rubber-soled boots and use aluminium shovels and aluminium trays for the process (I'm not allowed to tell you how SIMPLE the process is. Suffice to say the discovery of the technique was accidental when fertiliser was stored alongside a diesel supply tank).
Very impressive was the bang (and somewhere I've got a photograph of the quarry face suspended in the air before the bang hit us).

Solid Rust Twotter
22nd Apr 2006, 14:39
ANFO has been used for years by the nasties as well as commercial and mil operators. Recipes all over the web if you dig for 'em.

Foss
22nd Apr 2006, 16:03
Got the recipe in my study, not about to start doing a Delia and making it in my kitchen though, never mind in the shed.

Any old how, I suspect that if you start downloading that instruction stuff now you'll get a visit from armed blokes wearing earpieces, sunglasses and shouting a lot.

Most dangerous thing in my shed are..
a) lawnmower (loss of limbs or windows)
b) bike (heartattack)
c) paint (may have to do DIY)

Fos

Solid Rust Twotter
22nd Apr 2006, 16:09
ANFO is fairly stable and needs a fast det to make it pay attention. BP is less stable and makes a good bump start.

Most AN sold these days is in a form that makes use for explosive purposes difficult.

Foss
22nd Apr 2006, 16:55
Solid

I believe AN is banned here now, because of people fertilizing cars, and not fields. Yes, it does need a kick, (a booster tube) and it also degrades quite rapidly, turning it into brown goo.

Still, I wouldn't light a cigar near it.

Which leads me onto the story about a friend who used a lighter to inspect some co-axial cable coming out of a car, which was in fact a fuse.. which then lit.

Anyway, back to sheds

Fos

Air-Geko
23rd Apr 2006, 14:21
I remember seeing a thing about a young nerdy American lad building a atomic pile in his shed,he collected the exotic elements needed by buying up dozens of smoke detectors and such

Ah yes, David Hahn: the "Radioactive Boy Scout."
I like the first article below...

http://www.wesjones.com/silverstein1.htm

http://www.dangerouslaboratories.org/radscout.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Hahn