PDA

View Full Version : Arachnid Identification

flynverted
19th Apr 2006, 17:38
Found this f:mad:ing creature on my kitchen wall earlier and managed to get a few pics before I sent it to that big spider web in the sky.
Anyone know what kind of spider it is (was) and if it is (was) poisonous? It had a set of fangs any rattlesnake would be proud to own.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v243/flynverted/100_0402.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v243/flynverted/100_0401.jpg

flynverted
19th Apr 2006, 17:40
Edited to add that it was approx. 3 inches across including the legs. :mad: :sad: :(

tony draper
19th Apr 2006, 17:41
One hopes you are not in the United Kingdom Mr Inverted,one does not wish to be on the same continent as that critter.
:uhoh:

ShyTorque
19th Apr 2006, 17:50
Looks like a common house spider to me (size of a house). Don't kill it - put it outside.
They are all poisonous but not to humans.

((:E))

Jerricho
19th Apr 2006, 17:58
Looks like one of them Huntsman spiders.

They won't kill you, but I was bitten on the arm once by one and it got infected. Not very nice.

You can read about them here (http://www.amonline.net.au/factsheets/huntsman_spiders.htm)

colmac747
19th Apr 2006, 18:00
Black Widow!

And it'll haunt you for the rest of your life:ouch:

flynverted
19th Apr 2006, 18:02
Don't kill it -
Too late, I got him before he got me. :ok: Can't be too careful around spiders.

Another pic:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v243/flynverted/bf_spider.jpg

I'm sleeping with the lights ON tonight. :ok:

acbus1
19th Apr 2006, 18:07
You shouldn't be putting things like that on the World Wide Web!

flynverted
19th Apr 2006, 18:13
Looks like one of them Huntsman spiders.

Me thinks you're right. All the info I found on the huntsman said it had 8 eyes. Mine only appeared to have 2 eyes, that is until I blew it up.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v243/flynverted/spider2.jpg

You can clearly see 4 eyes in the center, and what looks like more eyes on each side.

Ugly f:mad:er.

SyllogismCheck
19th Apr 2006, 18:15
It is indeed a Huntsman. Pic' for comparison. (http://www.bighairyspiders.com/pix/wollongong_huntsman.jpg)

green granite
19th Apr 2006, 18:18
Well done you've just cured my wife from sneaking into pprune
to see what I'm up to :ok: :ok: :ok:

tall and tasty
19th Apr 2006, 18:25
well any poor female who hates the tiny ones we get in Blighty will not want to meet one of those.

Unfortunately when you had to handle tarantulas as part of vet nurse training the only spider I don't want to meet is one off the movie King Kong or a black widow

TnT:}

tilewood
19th Apr 2006, 18:26
It's the Honeymonster!! I wish it would trim it's beard!! ;)

RaraAvis
19th Apr 2006, 19:03
:{:{:{
Am I a b:mad:y masochist, what the :mad: is wrong with me?? why on earth am i reading this stuff and did you all HAVE to post these pics, wasn't one enough......
Will only sleep with lights on from now on and i think in a hammock:sad:

The house spiders here in UK, they are really tiny, right??? right!!!!

BenThere
19th Apr 2006, 19:13
Fact is even in the UK there are trillions of spiders, large and small. Over in the corner, in the sheets, out in the garden, under the toilet seat, in the closet. Watching. Waiting.

flynverted
19th Apr 2006, 19:22
Will only sleep with lights on from now on and i think in a hammock:sad:

Try sleeping in my bed, mate, it's only about 30 feet from the kitchen, where I saw the Spider From Hell. :ugh:

I just checked, it's still dead, on the floor between the stove and the wall. :ok::ok::ok:

colmac747
19th Apr 2006, 19:27
This pic is beginning to freak me out, so i'll post it again:p
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v243/flynverted/spider2.jpg
[/QUOTE]

You should have done what the Green Mile peeps do, and shaved it before you executed it!

RaraAvis
19th Apr 2006, 19:31
Exactly how large is 'large' ... erm... in UK spider terms I mean :uhoh:
Be gentle here, please... :ugh:

tall and tasty
19th Apr 2006, 19:53
Exactly how large is 'large' ... erm... in UK spider terms I mean Rara don't worry about the horrid boys who are trying to scare you.

Trust me a spider is far more scared you and what you might do to it then you should be of it.

They are only there to catch all the nasty flies etc that may get into the house and kill all the minute bugs that one can't see.

You will be fine honest just think how big you are compared to them

TnT

flynverted
19th Apr 2006, 19:54
http://www.pctonline.com/news/news.asp?ID=682&SubCatID=53&CatID=6

The spiders, which have a leg-span of up to 3.5 inches, were discovered by British Telecom engineers as they laid underground cables at Windsor Great Park in Berkshire, near the official residence of Queen Elizabeth II and 30 miles west of London.

The engineers have since stopped work while entomologists examine the spiders in an attempt to specifically identify them.

flyblue
19th Apr 2006, 20:04
Yuk flyinverted, did you really have to post that? I have a weak stomach and am certified genetically arachnophobic :ugh:

flyblue
19th Apr 2006, 20:29
Post a LINK! http://www.vocinelweb.it/faccine/lingua/pag2/03.gif

Davaar
19th Apr 2006, 20:38
Newton, Boyle, Gresham, and others came up with Laws.

They may have thought all the Laws were taken. Not so.

Here is Davaar's Law:

Two legs good;
Four legs good;
Eight legs bad.

B Fraser
19th Apr 2006, 21:34
Rara,

Please deposit a squillion dollars in my account otherwise I shall post a piccie of the huge Golden Orb spider I found in Kakadu, Oz :E :E :E :E

Jerricho
19th Apr 2006, 21:34
Hey, they're some great pics there Flynvert!!! :ok:

Nice. I may have to use one as my desktop wallpaper.

alwayzinit
19th Apr 2006, 21:45
http://www.pctonline.com/news/news.asp?ID=682&SubCatID=53&CatID=6

The spiders, which have a leg-span of up to 3.5 inches, were discovered by British Telecom engineers as they laid underground cables at Windsor Great Park in Berkshire, near the official residence of Queen Elizabeth II and 30 miles west of London.

The engineers have since stopped work while entomologists examine the spiders in an attempt to specifically identify them.

I think you will find the windsor great park spiders have been recently classified as.... f###ing big and just not british!

Many moons ago when my old dear(Mum) was a wee thing in jodphur a "bird eating" spider was found on her face, as she slept, by her dad. it was supposedly keeping cool!!!! needless to say her dad whacked it a bloody great stick! her nose has never been right since! Bless her.

fantom
19th Apr 2006, 21:51
you, obviously, do not know the camel spider.
consider the desert and be afraid.

tilewood
19th Apr 2006, 21:54
Try pulling the bed away from the wall in case of spiders.

Mind you if a spider pulls it back you are in real trouble!! :ooh:

birdlady
19th Apr 2006, 21:55
None of you seen a baboon spider perhaps..... think the name speaks for itself or parktown prawn perhaps (cross between a cockroach and a prawn it squeaks and spurts nasty smelling black stuff).

F*ck now Im not going to be able to sleep...........:\ :\ :\

simon brown
19th Apr 2006, 22:02
Flynverted

You dont happen to live near Sellafield Nuclear reprocessing plant do you?

RaraAvis
19th Apr 2006, 22:06
B Fraser, hah, I will simply not look at the evil pic, so there.:cool:

Hear hear, Davaar!!!

There's something about eight legs that makes them monsters so exceedingly repulsive.

Saw a weird looking bug hobbling about once, poor thing seemed to have developed a severe limp or was sadly born to wriggle and pop around like a broken bug thingy, it was quite amusing, really (Ok, I am a cruel insensitive soul in a dire need of help).:hmm:

Now, being a certified aracnaphobic extraordinaire, my Spidy radar works overtime even in deep sleep, yet somehow failed to detect that the hairy crawler determinedly trying to work it's way up my sleeve was indeed a 'physically challenged' arachnoid:eek: who had lost two of it's legs, (in love or war or to a hungry, clumsy bird, who knows).

The strangest bit of all is that even upon realizing that my mortal enemy numero uno is in fact happily latching onto my own body, I did not freak out - it looked different and not at all the threatening, disgusting, evil murderous ..thing:uhoh: that it usually is.

So my solution, off with the legs.......:}

Oh, was just scared half to death by... my own hair...tickling my back. Sad beyond reason I am..:(

RiskyRossco
19th Apr 2006, 22:21
Spiders is great! :p
They eat flies and moths wot have at yer vege patch.

Didjer know ( RaraAvis can skip this bit) a person unknowingly ingests 8 spiders over the course of one's life. Now, why anyone would want to know that, or even find that the least bit int'rest'n, is beyond me.
:hmm:

I'd have a terrarium wiff bluddy big hairy spiders if I had the space.

VH-MTT
19th Apr 2006, 22:21
Mike, what your friend has a got a picture of there is a golden orb web spider.

i've seen quite a lot of them around Australia on my travels. Plus i'm brushing up on identifing them as i'm moving out there next year.

I've got some photos and videos somewhere i'll have to dig them out.

Mark.

li'l ginge
19th Apr 2006, 22:24
My goodness, what a bunch of sooks!! I've been happily co-existing with a Huntsman (of about the same dimensions as the one pictured) who took up residence in my bedroom a month ago. Mind you, I'm only really happy when I know where 'he' - this one is called Herman - is ;)

Jerricho
19th Apr 2006, 22:32
Herman the Huntsman............

Wow. Betchya were up all night thinking that one up. :E

http://image.listen.com/img/150x100/4/4/7/6/566744_150x100.jpg

*I keed, I keed...........*

stagger
19th Apr 2006, 22:37
Sorry...:ugh:

Giant spiders under Windsor Castle myth (http://www.washington.edu/burkemuseum/spidermyth/myths/windsor.html)

Davaar
19th Apr 2006, 23:13
Didjer know ( RaraAvis can skip this bit) a person unknowingly ingests 8 spiders over the course of one's life. .

If this means in the form of eight separate whole spiders, I am sceptical.

If it means in bits and pieces along with your milled grains, corn-flakes, oatmeal, etc., it is entirely reasonable.

Not only spiders, of course. Just about everything that flies or crawls finds its way into canned fruit and vegetables. Yes, I know the good ladies of the village are hired to sit at the moving table and pick out foreign objects. After a 12 hour shift with overtime in the season you too would be a glassy-eyed zombie as the table passes endlessly by, and you too would be reluctant to pick out a wasp that has lost its wings but retained its ill-humour. One learns a lot from working in a cannery.

li'l ginge
20th Apr 2006, 00:42
Jerricho
Hey,it aint easy to come up with new 'H' names for my hairy flatmates.
Perhaps you have some more original suggestions for me? :E

kansasw
20th Apr 2006, 00:58
Newton, Boyle, Gresham, and others came up with Laws.
They may have thought all the Laws were taken. Not so.
Here is Davaar's Law:
Two legs good;
Four legs good;
Eight legs bad.

Whyfore you skip over the noble Hexapoda?

Jerricho
20th Apr 2006, 01:50
Why does it have to begin with H?

What about something exotic? Something mysterious? Something original?

Like Incy Wincy. Or Muffet ;)

Loose rivets
20th Apr 2006, 05:30
One has been severely frightened by a spider...in Essex. http://www.augk18.dsl.pipex.com/Smileys/spiderman.gif The old house that I grew up in had vast cracks in almost every structure, keeping anything smaller than a dog out was impossible, and we often had to dispatch quite large house spiders. One morning, the to be Mrs R, stayed in bed while I went to put kettle ont hob. I was filling it at what we now pretentiously call a butler sink: high glazed sides. There was a plastic bowl in the sink. As the water splashed, there was a flurry of activity from a brown mass near the outside base of the smaller bowl. The next bit you will have to trust me on.

Three or so legs rose up from the sink base and hooked over the plastic bowl, my blurry vision suddenly locked onto the other legs which were splayed over the white bottom surface. The side of the plastic bowl was AT LEAST 3.5" high, and the legs were hooked over it to gain a purchase. I'll leave you to do the sums.

I shouted to ‘er in bed–to stay there, (I can here my falsetto voice now) I was going to do the appropriate masculine thing. I jumped into my Mini and fcuked orf to get my mate.

He was on the scene in a few moments, complete with his smug – if I get rid of this spider, I get to take the tea and toast to yer bird – kind of expression. He'd been putting spiders in girls satchels since he was five, but when he saw this one he recoiled back.

He got a box and clapped it over Septimus. The feckkin' noise its feet made on the cardboard still echoes in my mind. My mate's grin had gone, and we turfed it out onto the lawn.

It looked kind of bedraggled as it wandered into the woods, not a thing to be afraid of, but only after many sulphur candles did I relax back in that old place.

Come to think of it, it was the same mate that watched a spider lower itself down towards his wife's face some 40 years later. It hovered just above her lips, and then reverse-absailed to the ceiling. So, just perhaps 8 in a lifetime is a reality.

It's odd how these Cellar spiders, or bouncy spiders, as I call them, have taken over the world. These frail creatures seem to be able to defeat a house spider with their web. I can't recall them at all before about 20 years ago, but now there certainly on both sides of the Atlantic.

Another pal and his wife visited Oz a few years back. At one place they stayed, "huge spiders were dropping onto our beds." They departed saspo, and drove all night to a big hotel.

http://www.augk18.dsl.pipex.com/Smileys/spider.gif

Blacksheep
20th Apr 2006, 05:31
Its a Huntsman all right but...
Edited to add that it was approx. 3 inches across including the legs...only a small one. Alice was just over six inches across.

Until she killed my dog.

After that she was still six inches across, but only 0.1 mm tall. :suspect:

Davaar
20th Apr 2006, 06:09
Whyfore you skip over the noble Hexapoda?

I could say I was too fly, but really it was blind ignorance and oversight. There is room here for kansasw's corollary or caveat. It's up to you. My offering would be: "Six legs so-so".

acbus1
20th Apr 2006, 06:16
......a person unknowingly ingests 8 spiders over the course of one's life
If it's unknowingly, then how do we know that? :suspect:

I mean, does a bloke with a clipboard follow peeps around for their entire lifetime? :rolleyes:

G-CPTN
20th Apr 2006, 08:50
Large spiders in our household are called Helen, after a child's story book character.
Be Nice to Spiders:-
When Billy moved to a new apartment, he couldn't keep his pet, Helen. Instead, he drops the spider off at the Zoo. Soon, all of the animals love Helen because she keeps the flies away by catching them in her web. But what happens when the Keeper cleans the cages because the Mayor is coming to visit? Read the book and find out if Helen gets to keep living at the Zoo.

Corkman
20th Apr 2006, 10:26
Was happily shopping in a large fruit market in Ireland a couple of years back when I felt something on my head. I went to brush it away but paused when I noticed the a look of absolute horror on my girlfriend's face, quickly followed by her about turn and legging it.

As I pondered this turn of events, I noticed the "thing" on my head was busily running around it, trying with some success to wrap me up in a web!

After dancing around like one possessed for a few long seconds, shouting "gerrimorfme gerrimorfme gerrimorfme!!!", and to her absolute credit, my girlfriend comes back and manages to transfer him from me to somewhere else. Then we swiftly took our leave, leaving spider to try his luck elsewhere.

I didn't get a look, but she tells me it was (a) big, (b) black with red bits and (c) "not your usual type of spider".

Hats off to this guy, he thought big!

Solid Rust Twotter
20th Apr 2006, 12:03
Used to have a baboon spider who lived on the wall above my head in Ndola. Quite a friendly bloke, albeit cursed with a frightening appearance. He kept the mozzies in check and one was blessed with a lengthy stay in Zambia sans malaria, mainly due to him. One's self control was excercised every morning upon waking to keep one's arachnophobia under control with eight beady little eyes staring at one from a range of about six inches. Also had a huge fat clumsy gecko who lived in one's wardrobe and would wander around among one's toiletries knocking thngs over at night.

While lying naked on one's scratcher cursing the heat in Loki one night, one of these...
http://geagallerie.free.fr/images/solifuge_sp06.jpg

...tapdanced across one's wedding tackle, pitter pattered across one's chest, scaled one's chin, skied down one's hooter and tweaked one's eyebrows before ducking behind the curtains. The girlish screams that ensued are still talked about in hushed tones in bars across Loki to this day.:O

frostbite
20th Apr 2006, 12:29
Can't come anywhere near some of the above, but we used to have a large spider that, for at least a couple of years, always emerged from somewhere and strolled across the lounge carpet just as the BBC evening news was starting.

Became known as 'the nine-o'clock spider' for obvious reasons. (BBC news being at that more civilised time then)

flyblue
20th Apr 2006, 14:00
Loose rivets,
that's a chilling story. Weren't you afraid that it could crawl back into your house, or even worse, give birth to a coupla hundred of smaller versions?? :{ In a spider-story I have already told in a spider-thread, the monster spider in question came back to let me know he was not happy to have been thrown out of my bathroom (not by me of course, but by the coward who swore he'd killed it:* ).
Now my motto is: Don't spare it, squish it :E

strafer
20th Apr 2006, 14:28
What's that on your shoulder, flyblue?

flyblue
20th Apr 2006, 14:35
http://www.vocinelweb.it/faccine/confuse/10.gif

radeng
20th Apr 2006, 15:01
Isn't Oz renowned for various venonomous spiders and snakes? Me, I'd be looking to have a very flat spider ASAP.
When the steam loco Pendennis Castle was shipped back from Oz, the story was that because it had been in a ship visiitng Singapore and other places more dodgy, HM Customs and Excise wanted to examine it carefully in case anyone had used it to stash drugs. Bearing in mind the known nasty little critturs that Oz has, it is said that HM C&E were encouraged to examine it very carefully by the Great Western Society, who weren't that sure if any nasty snakes or spiders could be lurking somewhere in the innards - and if they were, then HM C&E could find them first!

green granite
20th Apr 2006, 16:28
Went to bed one night having set the trap to catch the mouse that was
plagueing us, wife moaned that there were several very large spiders in the bath. Next morning looked in the bath, no spiders just a load of legs in the bottom of the bath and one very frustrated mouse who could'nt get out.
solved both the problems

Loose rivets
21st Apr 2006, 05:07
Loose rivets,
that's a chilling story. Weren't you afraid that it could crawl back into your house, or even worse, give birth to a coupla hundred of smaller versions?? :{ In a spider-story I have already told in a spider-thread, the monster spider in question came back to let me know he was not happy to have been thrown out of my bathroom (not by me of course, but by the coward who swore he'd killed it:* ).
Now my motto is: Don't spare it, squish it :E

Nope, that's what the sulpher candles were for, worked a treat. A bit mean I suppose.

I knew that I'd posted on this subject before. (Before Alice's demise) will repeat to save typing.
By the most incredible coincidence, I was thinking about arachniphobia SP? this morning.

I used to sit in the lounge and pot at them with me BSA Airsporter cos I was so afraid of the little sods. When the kids came along, we decided that it was necessary to show no fear and we would play with them out in the garden (in piles of brick etc) by prodding them with twigs. After a while, I noticed that they seemed to get fed up er runnin, and would mooch along all dejected like. This somehow gave me courage to get to the next stage.

I was interested in microscopy then, and studied bits of house spiders at X 90 or so. Fantastic. Have you ever seen the foot of a house spider? It's like three tortoiseshell combs. Don't know how it works.

One day I found a pretty white spider which was about 1mm across. It stood quite still and looked fantastically beautiful. I screwed a lens round that made the spider seem huge.

Suddenly it scuttled forward and I lurched backwards orf me stool. Kids thought that was funny.

It's a very deep rooted fear. Must be programmed into us, cos my daughter would play with them in the garden until she was about 7, then she developed a considerable phobia. Our well-being must have relied on reacting to them in the distant past.

It used to be that there were 10 million spiders per acre in the UK. (Except for Frinton where they were not allowed.) The loss of such numbers of bugs of all types, is it seems, the prime reason that sparrows have declined in numbers. ( A well received and published Phd dissertation by some young lady a few years ago.)

I like geckoes. Any creature that is clued-up about atomic bonding, should have pride of place IMHO. I'm afraid Alice would have to go.

My mater set about catching a mouse. A ruler on the top of a bucket; the balence just so. a piece of cheese at the end of the ruler, about midway accros the bucket top. we all laughed. Withing five minutes--Boing boing boing. She was a clever old girl.

Buster Cherry
21st Apr 2006, 05:25
What about the Daddy of them all?...The delightful Camel Spider :eek:

http://video.clipstream.com/content/c/camel_spiders/twospiders.jpg

Blacksheep
21st Apr 2006, 05:57
Na-Na-Nineteen? Too many legs in that picture!

That pair of camel spiders, even taken as a pair, aren't half as dangerous as the two-legged desert lead spitter visible in the background.

acbus1
21st Apr 2006, 06:28
All this hoo haa about finding life on other planets!

Chances are, it'll be even more shudder inducing than this lot! :\