PDA

View Full Version : What seemingly insiginificant action or event changed your life completely?

Onan the Clumsy
19th Apr 2006, 13:52
I have one but I can't type it up at work so I'll do it later.

Meanwhile...

Gainesy
19th Apr 2006, 14:00
The RN recruiting office was shut, it was raining so went into the RAF one next door. Went down really well with a navy family going back generations.:uhoh:

Parapunter
19th Apr 2006, 14:03
Coming in one night a bit randy & now I'm gonna be a daddy in six months & I can't wait:D

Ghostie31
19th Apr 2006, 14:07
Onan the Clumsy You're like the daddy of all thread starters! You've had some good ones before but this takes the biscuit I think!

Changing 6th forms was a big moment for me! Meant I actually had a chance at getting a degree. Which I am currently doing now!:D

AerBabe
19th Apr 2006, 14:08
Seemingly insignificant? Watching Top Gun when I was young & impressionable. If I hadn't, I wouldn't have learned to fly ...

acbus1
19th Apr 2006, 14:08
Puberty.

Life was simple before that. :(

strafer
19th Apr 2006, 14:17
An April shower:

Cycling home in Amsterdam, suddenly started pissing down, popped into the nearest bar to wait it out and ended up chatting to an Irish girl who was there on holiday.

Later to become Mrs S and the mother of my child.

Capt.KAOS
19th Apr 2006, 14:19
Went to the race track first time with a friend who raced an Abarth back in the 70's and ended up racing his car a year later. Not exactly changed my life, but it certainly had an impact.

http://sabailand.bizland.com/AbarthMonzaZagato.jpg

Jerricho
19th Apr 2006, 14:25
Was selected to join the RAAF as a Navigator, but due to restructuring, the position was put on hold.

I certainly wouldn't be sitting where I am now.

airship
19th Apr 2006, 14:25
One night 14 years or so ago, I was awakened by a loud thump on the roof outside my bedroom window, followed by a meoooow...

Jerricho
19th Apr 2006, 14:29
The missus loose her keys again Airship?

airship
19th Apr 2006, 14:44
Nah, the missus that would have been decided to jump ship and marry a Malteser (is that the right word for someone from Malta?) Served her right a few years later when she discovered that divorce was illegal on that island...what a shame she'd ballooned somewhat in the interim (just put on some weight I hasten to add, not a scrogg...). Fortunetly for me though, by this time I'd got used to the idea of having a plain old pussy to play with anytime I liked... :E :sad: :{

tall and tasty
19th Apr 2006, 14:50
I was fascinated with the site my ex spent so much time on and decided to post on it one stormy Aug eve (ok it was a lovely sunny eve, but the mood would not be the same!)

I got a few replies, made a few friends and then was intrigued by a sign in that had a horrid profile.

I pmed the person saying no one could be like that and live on this earth!

Got a reply and now have made a brilliant friend I hold very high in my esteem of good friends.

Life changing, well maybe the friend has helped me through things, knowing that person lead me to another very good friend on here.

Apart from that life changing things having children is the biggest and most wonderful change anyone can have in their lives.

TnT :ok:

airship
19th Apr 2006, 15:09
Apart from that life changing things having children is the biggest and most wonderful change anyone can have in their lives. Under normal circumstances, one would tend to agree with you. But have you really considered all the consequences of bringing new lives into this increasingly dismal world of global warming at a time when we're experiencing the greatest loss of species ever since, well, the dinosaur era?! :8 :O

What everyone needs to seriously think about are not their own children, but those of the others who will come later. Once 99% of everyone alive today in a position to not reproduce just decide to (not) do so, the problems of the World directly related to over-population and diminishing resources etc. will simply evaporate after 2 or 3 generations... :8 :ok:

Which is prolly a complete non-starter, so thank goodness that we still have stuff like H5N1 that might mutate into a global human pandemic. And the warmer it gets, the more likely it'll be that mosquito-born illnesses will be found in more places. And if nature fails us, we still have nukes, GWB and Iran and N. Korea to get through too... :E :uhoh:

PileUp Officer
19th Apr 2006, 15:36
I actually agree with most of that even if it is a joke.

Obviously it's a personal choice but I feel having kids in this world is one of the most selfish things you can do.

got caught
19th Apr 2006, 15:42
Getting naughty under canvas, with a lovely result.

Helli-Gurl
19th Apr 2006, 15:46
Saying "yes" when my ex asked me out....look where that got me!

;)

Rushton
19th Apr 2006, 15:50
Apart from the children I'm still waiting for something to happen:{

airship
19th Apr 2006, 16:08
I actually agree with most of that even if it is a joke. Well uhmmm, it was said only half-jokingly... :ok: How about if we just limited every couple on the planet to a single offspring in order to spread the (economic) pain of doing so (just see what it's done for the Chinese...?!). And let's be generous. We should allow sperm "banks" to continue to exist as long as they're no longer cryogenic ones...?! :8 :E

One, or two?! Such a seemingly insignificant action, yet...?! :ok:

BenThere
19th Apr 2006, 16:11
When you come to a fork in the road, take it. - Yogi Berra

AnEviltwinEr
19th Apr 2006, 16:46
When i got the idea that i wanted to get an education in in aviation. :)

tony draper
19th Apr 2006, 17:02
Ah but how do you know that any action insignifigant or otherwise has changed your life one iota? perchance its all preordained anyway, with every second with every indrawn breath your future bifurcates splits into a infinity of possible time lines,you blunder blindly onwards into one possible future among billions of probabilities.
**** me Drapes that was good, berra keep copy of this buggah on one's hard disk for future use,after all proon int the only website.
:rolleyes:

Onan the Clumsy
19th Apr 2006, 17:06
Well in that case, when some scroat blaggs your motor, you shouldn't punish him because the whole thing was pre-ordained...I think :confused:

ORAC
19th Apr 2006, 17:10
Grabbed for a tennis ball messing about at school indoors during bad weather. Elbow got hit by the other guy and went through a window severing arteries, tendons, nerves etc. 6 months off school in various plasters and having operations to splice it all back together again. It was the 5th year and I never quite caught up to my previous grades by my finals. Got one grade less than I needed to go and study astrophysics - so ended up joining the RAF instead.

Always wondered what I would have ended up doing with my life if I hadn't grabbed that ball. Not that I didn't enjoy the military, but I'm sure my life would have been a lot different......

frostbite
19th Apr 2006, 17:18
A good point there, airship, but what about the Catholics?

World will be overrun with them.

tony draper
19th Apr 2006, 17:25
Probably for the best Mr ORAC,otherwise yer brain wudda prolly finished up in a jar of nutrients controlling us all and running the universe with a strange squeaky electronicaly generated voice.
:uhoh: :rolleyes:
One often wonder what would have happened if both my sets of grandparents had not died when they were children.
:uhoh:

Makes yer think dunnit,perhaps the moving finger is not writing,but taking dictation, preordination,one was meant to be filthy rich one feels this in one's bones, just waiting for that chapter to arrive.

Rick Storm
19th Apr 2006, 17:39
Tony...You should think yourself luck, my great grandfather died on the Titanic, worked as a cabin boy, lossed (presumed drowned) at the age of 13

ShyTorque
19th Apr 2006, 17:56
Well, it all began when I took that insignificant looking pin thing out of that hand grenade.............. :}

GearDown&Locked
19th Apr 2006, 18:06
hmmm... I cannot isolate a single IF-THEN-ELSE that could have change things 180 degs, or even 90 dgs for that matter.

So I have to agree with Senhor Drapes, it has been written in advance by some obscure ominipresent force, Karma and all that.

Foss
19th Apr 2006, 18:06
Staying in a hotel in London, went to the hotel next door for a beer and got talking to this American guy. Got talking to his friends and met who would become Mrs Fos.

She's not Mrs Fos anymore :{

Ah well.

Fos

(oh yeah her dad was a multi-millionare, had two yachts, and she was a model, screwed that one up. B*gg*r)

priapism
19th Apr 2006, 22:25
have to be 10 years ago whilst performing the ritual morning testicular scratch prior to rising ( out of bed that is) . Felt a small lump -said right knacker was not there 24 hours later. Remaining one still managed to sire two beautiful girls.

seacue
19th Apr 2006, 23:04
I'm really very insignificant. Thus one could say that my birth was a relatively insignificant thing that changed my whole life.

It sure changed my parents' lives too.

BlueWolf
19th Apr 2006, 23:12
Tony...You should think yourself luck, my great grandfather died on the Titanic, worked as a cabin boy, lossed (presumed drowned) at the age of 13

He must have been quite a mature lad, then ;)

tony draper
19th Apr 2006, 23:21
Indeed Mr BW, that post puzzled one somewhat as well. :confused:
Unless like ones own re grandparents, twer tongue in cheek of course.
A variation on the grandfather paradox mayhap,we must consult Mr ORAC.

G-CPTN
19th Apr 2006, 23:45
He only said PRESUMED drowned. Might have been found when they found the wreck . . .

RiskyRossco
20th Apr 2006, 00:50
The equivalent of Being Sent To Coventry. On the cusp of a promising academic future I was when the folks deemed it necessary to up sticks and return to a backwater town.
Out the window went any motivation and desire to Apply Oneself. Scuppered any hopes for Uni or serious career, anyway. Had a passion for languages and wanted to kick it off with German and French. Where would I be now after a degree or two?
:hmm:

Two's in
20th Apr 2006, 00:56
Being caught playing the pink oboe, while dressed as a nun, at the Catholic Church Scout Jamboree. Things just went downhill after that, but I did make Scout troop leader and Mother superior in the same year...

eastern wiseguy
20th Apr 2006, 01:11
Minding my own business doing online banking...a random PM asking "care to chat?" ended up with the latest missus Wiseguy!!! eeek!:ok: :ok:

FLCH
20th Apr 2006, 01:25
When my teacher told me and my friend (we failed the 11 plus exam, hence went to Secondary school) that pigs would fly the day we became pilots, and that we would end up at the steelworks down the road. My friend is a Captain at Air Jamaica and I am one at Continental.

Little Blue
20th Apr 2006, 01:26
......Leaving my e-mail signed in by mistake, so that my then-wife could see exactly who I'd been talking to.:ouch:
One expensive divorce later and only seeing my son twice a week means that I'll be beating myself up about it for a long time to come. Stupid boy.

CashKing
20th Apr 2006, 06:40
Almost two decades ago in a test on electrodynamics, I was asked to re-derive the fundamental equations of electromagnetism (the Maxwell Equations (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maxwell_equations)) with the assumption that magnetic monopoles existed.
What the heck am I talking about here? Well, most people are familiar with the two types of charge that exist in the universe, positive and negative charge, and that there are fundamental units of this charge, protons for positive charge and electrons for negative charge (and yes, I am skipping those interesting but baffling to the majority quarks because they do not pertain to this discussion, if you want to discuss them, email me or go to the Physics department at your local university). Similar fundamental units of magnetisms do not exist; there are no “north monopoles” or “south monopoles” to complement the protons and electrons.
In my exam, based upon a few fundamental assumptions, that monopoles of both varieties existed and that there was a continuity of magnetic charge just as exists for electric charge, I was to derive the form the Maxwell Equations would take and explain the physical consequences of the new equations. At the time, I speculated that if there were such a thing as negative mass, something similar to the Maxwell Equations could be derived for gravity, and that there should therefore exist an equivalent of “gravomagnetics” with similar behaviors due to moving mass as there are because of the magnetic fields generated from moving charges. Needless tosay, I did not include these idle thoughts in my answer to the question, and admittedly it was not the best use of my effort during the exam, but the question was actually pretty straightforward so I did have the spare time.
While a “negative mass” has not been discovered, a recent measurement seems to point towards a possible derivation of a quantum theory of gravity (http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2006/03/060325232140.htm), which has eluded Physicists for decades:
Scientists funded by the European Space Agency have measured the gravitational equivalent of a magnetic field for the first time in a laboratory. Under certain special conditions the effect is much larger than expected from general relativity and could help physicists to make a significant step towards the long-sought-after quantum theory of gravity.
Just as a moving electrical charge creates a magnetic field, so a moving mass generates a gravitomagnetic field. According to Einstein’s Theory of General Relativity, the effect is virtually negligible. However, Martin Tajmar, ARC Seibersdorf Research GmbH, Austria; Clovis de Matos, ESA-HQ, Paris; and colleagues have measured the effect in a laboratory.
I need to read the original paper, but based upon what is written in the article linked, this is pretty damn exciting to a real Physics geek like me. Although this result is not exactly what my speculations led to, it is gratifying to know that back when I was in graduate school even my idle speculations while working out an exam problem had merit and were not completely off base!

Gainesy
20th Apr 2006, 07:45
You'd be surprised how many times that's been discussed here.:)

angels
20th Apr 2006, 07:51
Indeed Gainsey, I'm told that in the pubs of West Sussex they talk of little else.

Miraculix
20th Apr 2006, 08:09
Had given up becomming a pilot, due to glasses. My farther was out in the garden and a guy was walking by. My father and the guy started talking about this and that, turned out the guy was a pilot and somehow they talked about requirements for entry. Yes airforce pilots can't have glasses (when they start out), but it's ok within certain limits for civilian pilots.

Due to this conversation I applied, passed and have worked as a pilot since.

Were would I have been, if my father was'nt in the garden at that very time, the pilot had'nt walked that way or had'nt stopped to talk?

Never found out who he was! So think about it, very small things can change an entire life, without you even knowing about it! :ok:

PileUp Officer
20th Apr 2006, 09:25
Well, it all began when I took that insignificant looking pin thing out of that hand grenade.............. :}

Totally random thread drift but - can you actually put a pin back in a grenade and stop it blowing up?

lexxity
20th Apr 2006, 09:36
My best friend and I joined the TA and one day whilst I was being measured for my uniform a new recruit turned up. Turns out he's now Mr Lexx.

tony draper
20th Apr 2006, 09:42
Of course yer can Mr Officer,as long as the metal thing on the side hasn't flown off with that ting sound, even then theoretically one could put the pin back but about five seconds later would have hurty hand.

PileUp Officer
20th Apr 2006, 09:53
Yeah, I meant if someone pulls a pin out and drops it can you pick it up and put the pin back in?

I figured you start some kind of fuse so you can't.

bar fly
20th Apr 2006, 11:39
Yeah, I meant if someone pulls a pin out and drops it can you pick it up and put the pin back in?

I hope not cos the enemy would soon cotton on to that idea. :}

shy_one
20th Apr 2006, 11:39
Six months ago , I went into a local pub for a pint and made eye contact with the young lady serving me , everything went south from there and now I have a bit of a problem.

ORAC
20th Apr 2006, 11:41
Of course you can. It won´t stop going bang, but its obviously tidier..... :ouch:

ORAC
20th Apr 2006, 11:50
Possibly CashKing, but did you see this (http://www.newscientist.com/channel/fundamentals/mg18925331.200.html) article about Burkhard Heim (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burkhard_Heim) which might imply a different cause for the effect.

Just the sort of stuff we talk about in our spare time down here..... ;)

studentpilotmcuk
20th Apr 2006, 11:52
I started to learn to fly gliders at 11, I started to learn to fly powered aircraft in 1997 I stopped in 2001 due to wieght problems: In December 05 I was 21.5 stone wanting continue my ppl I suffer from Spina Bifida although I can walk normally. :) In January I had an operation called a Gastric Bypass to help me loose wieght, now (in April) I have lost 7 stone, passed my medical class 2 and learning to fly a cessena 150 (Circuits now). Also I am in a relationship with a beautiful lady. I am still finding it hard to complete my PPL although this time its for financial reasons. would'nt change a thing though.

Safe Flying All the Best

SPMCUK:)

Buster Hyman
20th Apr 2006, 11:53
Armed hold up in a McDonalds in DEN.

After a particularly frustrating trip to the States, went across the road from my hotel at DEN airport to the local McDonalds. Naturally enough I thought all the strange looks were because of my accent, only later did I realise that I was the only white fella!

Anyway, some fool comes in with a knife, threatens the rather large manageress & leaves...loads of cops roll up ("its a goddam posse!" said the large manageress)...& then take off after him. At this point I realised what the stares were for. So...back to the hotel...("Oh my God Sir! Don't go walking in this neighborhood!")...packed the bags & caught the next CO flight to HNL.

"Nuts to this" I thought. Got to HNL, cheked in with the big rat to SYD, but they said the NAN-MEL flight was open so they put me on it. (I actually wanted SYD to avoid being offloaded, potentially, in NAN)

Anyway, a rather lovely young lady happened to sit next to me (who also had gone through a harrowing trip) and we were married 3 years later! 16 years this August!:ok:

Never looked back.

Solid Rust Twotter
20th Apr 2006, 13:01

As long as you haven't released the spoon which causes a spring loaded striker to hit the primer which sets off the fuse, starting the sequence leading to an eventual bang. It's just a bit fiddly trying to push a split pin into a small hole with shaking hands, more so with a couple of grammes of explosive and shrapnel waiting to spoil your day.

tony draper
20th Apr 2006, 13:10
If that occured we was trained to throw the nearest Territorial on top of it.

Solid Rust Twotter
20th Apr 2006, 13:40
Aahhh!

The Territorial Imperative, then....:E

The Real Slim Shady
20th Apr 2006, 15:22
Had a choice many, many moons ago.

Go to Canada and work for IBM or join RAF.

Thought, **** it, if I don't give the RAF a go I'll always regret it; still driving airplanes!!!

PileUp Officer
20th Apr 2006, 15:42
But you must regret not fixing computers - think of the girls you could have got :rolleyes:

tony draper
20th Apr 2006, 15:47
Indeed,and the satifaction of knowing yer had a proper job.:rolleyes:

green granite
20th Apr 2006, 15:47
Aahhh!
The Territorial Imperative, then....:E

No territorial then inoperative :ouch: :ouch: :rolleyes:

Smeagol
20th Apr 2006, 16:14
Failing an RAF medical at Biggin Hill in 1971.

I had passed it in 1968, got a Special Flying Award and subsequently a PPL courtesy of the RAF. Passed the medical again in 1970 (but botched my A Levels). tried again in '71 and found a doctor having a good day (though not for me!) with a stethescope. Strange heart diagnosed so no flying in the RAF, or indeed commercially, for me.

Became an engineer instead and spent 30 odd years in the oil & gas industry.

Regrets? Bloody right!

chuks
20th Apr 2006, 19:35
I had a friend decide to hang around the quarters in Isolo, Nigeria to eat a leisurely breakfast, instead of riding in on the 0615 crew bus with me, two other captains, a greenie and an engineer.

We would usually sit next to each other and trade cheap abuse about the relative merits of Oz and the US of A and such things just to pass the time on the way to the hangar.

Five minutes down the road there was a fresh bullet hole thorugh the back of the seat right where I usually sat. I had moved over to where he usually sat, since he was back there eating breakfast instead.

Perhaps this is one where the decision was NOT life-changing, strictly speaking, given that death is just nature's way of telling you to slow down. Anyway, beat that for a trivial decision making one hell of a difference to me.

Irish Steve
20th Apr 2006, 21:40
Was on holiday in Denver in 2002, and decided to get a medical done so I could do some flying while there. Doctor at the medical centre did all the "usual" checks, and also one other that I wasn't expecting, he informed me that "over 50, it's advisable to check the prostate", so I got the gloved finger check.

"It's slightly enlarged, you might want to get that checked out when you get home".

I did.

3 months later, after a lot more checks and investigations, me and my cancerous prostate parted company, and from the subsequent reports, just in time.

So far, just over 3 years down the line, no signs of any problems.

At the time, no signs, symptoms or anything else to raise suspicions that there was any problem, and at 51, prostate is not normally a serious issue. In my case, it was, and if I'd not had that medical when I did, and I didn't have to have it, I'm not sure I would have been here to type this, or to have done quite a few of the things that I have recently.

That's VERY thought provoking on occasions!

tall and tasty
20th Apr 2006, 22:53
If we are going for cheating death as a life saver, my grand parents missed the Titanic by minutes and sailed on the Olympic the following week. My BIL should have been on the train that crashed outside Clapham, he travelled in the carriage where everone died. My brothers finance got out of Kings cross seconds before the fire ball came up out of the escalators.

For me was skiving of a lecture at uni the day the IRA blew the band stand in Regents park. I would have been there at the precise moment of detination. Some one looks after our family I think. My mother was one of the choses during the war on the island of Jersey to be shot as an example and they decided to reduce the numbers in the school play ground and my father's best friend took the complete blast of a landmine out in Eygpt during WW11 when he decided to drive the jeep instead of Dad that day!

I had two friends who cheated death on 9/11 too instead of going to work in NY and Washington.

All life changing for them, or it would have been

TnT