PDA

View Full Version : ATPL Theory

harrip
19th Apr 2006, 13:41
I wondered if anyone could recommend anyone in particular for ATPL theory courses and books. I've found Secombe Aviation at http://www.atpl.com.au/ who sound good but would welcome any comments. Cheers.

Killer Loop
19th Apr 2006, 22:09
I went to Secombe for the "tougher four", got them all first time and only took 6 weeks all in. His speciality is flight planning and he actually makes it straight forward.

aero979
19th Apr 2006, 22:26
found secombe to be great - a few strange quirks, but passed subjects here i didnt pass ' elsewhere ' . Class size was only about 4-5 students in the course i went to, plus it was in Bankstown. Didnt have to travel half way across the country!

m-dot
19th Apr 2006, 22:41
Its was about 4 years ago I did ATPLs. A lot may have changed since then, but heres my angle.

Everyone is going have their favourites on this one. People learn in different ways and for the best transfer of learning to take place, you need to find the person that suits you.

I studied the majority of the course with Gavin Secombes correspondance files. Whilst I found them neatly presented, I couldnt help but feel that a couple of topics strayed a bit far from what you need to know in the exam. Gavin is a very knowledgable person and teaches you well in excess of the subject matter. You will find Gavin to be a very pleasant, well-intentioned chap.

I passed Met, Performance, HUF, and Air Law with Gavins coorespondance system.

I was running out of time (3 years) to do the last two (getting caught up in working for a living as a GA pilot whos boss wouldnt me have time off for the exams). I needed to get through the material quickly and concisely (and pass!). I went and saw Nathan Higgins in Maroochy who came to my rescue.

I parked my ass in the first row and opened my ears and asked lots of questions. Made it through first time with 94% in flight planning and 92% in AGK.

Nathan Higgins is certainly very knowledgeable in the same respect as Gavin Secombe. I certainly did feel that Nathan was much more energetic and had his finger on the pulse.

If Gavin Secombe ran a sit in class then that would also be of great value.

Either way - Just get into it. The sooner you start, the quicker the headaches (and that heavy weight on your back) start to abate!

harrip
20th Apr 2006, 00:15
Thanks for this excellent feedback. I've just spoken to Secombe and seemed very helpful and friendly. I'll be signing up shortly for some initial courses and will let you know how it goes.

Aussie
20th Apr 2006, 03:53
Harrip,

Whens his next course starting?

How much is he charging?

Cheers

Aussie

harrip
20th Apr 2006, 05:46
Harrip,
Whens his next course starting?
How much is he charging?
Cheers
Aussie

Full details at http://www.atpl.com.au . Courses are ongoing and range from $180 to $790 for individual subjects or $2500 for the whole thing.

9Ws
20th Apr 2006, 07:04
Your search is over... Nathan Higgins at AFT, Maroochydore. The best. Don't go anywhere else.

www.aft.com.au

Good luck! :ok:

rmcdonal
20th Apr 2006, 09:35
Concur with 9Ws. AFT.:ok:
Great course, nice place to do it.

FLYAPALOOZA
20th Apr 2006, 13:53
Have used both courses, AFT IS THE WAY TO GO

CaptainToBe
20th Apr 2006, 20:58
I have used both. Both are good, but if I had to start again I would be going to AFT.

Stiff Under Carriage
21st Apr 2006, 08:20
I totally agree with the last four posts. You CANNOT go wrong with AFT, correspondance or course. I did all 7 in 7 months by correspondance with AFT passed all on first attempt.

No question about it if you ask me. Do your research on pPrune, you'll find man, many threads asking about ATPL Theory, they all come to the same conclusion. AFT:ok: :ok: :ok: :ok:

jetbrett
21st Apr 2006, 13:48
Yes to all of you, AFT very good. In the interests of systems becuase it is the hardest i wouldnt go past Rob Averys books, very comprehendable and will make you pass exam. Have some AFT exams though to get you prepared for the questions !! Have Fun

disco_air
22nd Apr 2006, 07:50
Len Sales @ BK

I wrote the course, you blokes.

...Disco

wheelwhiz
3rd May 2006, 03:46
The smaller classes that Secombe operates makes it easy to ask questions and to get them answered. I don't know about his other courses, but everyone who was on my course passed their exam first go! I got 87% in P&L. That'll do me.:) I'm annoyed I didn't use him for all subjects.

ContactMeNow
3rd May 2006, 13:29
Im with Disco on this one....Although I have never been in any of Lens classes, I have seen MANY people go trhough them and pass 1st time around!

He has been doing it since the Wright Bros, he also taught it to the QF cadets, many moons ago and wrote half and if not all of the exams.

When he talks, you listen. He doesnt take dicking around too well. And no one is ever good enough to do his course (so he says)

He has got my vote and will be seeing me in one of his classes by years end.

CNM :ok:

Captain Fun
3rd May 2006, 14:53
teached it to the QF cadets many moons ago
CMN might be an idea to master the basics before you get "teached" the ATPL's by Len. :E

madpepper
4th May 2006, 05:25
Head to AFT in Maroochydore for a few weeks. Its a good spot and you will finish the four hard ones in 6 weeks. I passed them all on first attempt (avg 90%), Nathan is the guru.:ok:

disco_air
4th May 2006, 06:48
teached

Now that's just embarrassing! :hmm:

...Disco

TruBlu351
4th May 2006, 08:49
I agree with the AFT recommendation. Great notes. I used them for home study correspondance - he made the pain that much more enjoyable :ok: His practice exams saved my bacon on the Flight Planning exam - it was like de ja vu!

Len Sales' notes are awesome too. Not the best for home learning correspondance, but the practice exams/questions are priceless.

ContactMeNow
4th May 2006, 08:50
I dont have time to be "teached" grammer! My dads best mate is a QF captain and he said that he will get me into the cadets, I don't want to spend my time "building hours" up north or where ever hours are built! I want to live in a major city and no Darwin does not count as a major city, either Sydney or Melbourne! Some people tell me I should go to Broome or this place called Kunners? Can someone please tell me what Kunners is?

I only want to fly if I become a cadet. I already spent enough time at universoty get in a aviation degree, as I was told it would make me a better pilot before I even start flying! My dad said that if I get into the cadets, (I think its more a case of when i do) he will pay for all my training! I would even work for free for QF, as my dad has enough money to support me...

So please guys lay off me, I dont like to be teached about my grammer, or spelling for the matter.

CNM :E

TruBlu351
4th May 2006, 10:52
I dont have time to be "teached" grammer! My dads best mate is a QF captain and he said that he will get me into the cadets, I don't want to spend my time "building hours" up north or where ever hours are built! I want to live in a major city and no Darwin does not count as a major city, either Sydney or Melbourne! Some people tell me I should go to Broome or this place called Kunners? Can someone please tell me what Kunners is?

I only want to fly if I become a cadet. I already spent enough time at universoty get in a aviation degree, as I was told it would make me a better pilot before I even start flying! My dad said that if I get into the cadets, (I think its more a case of when i do) he will pay for all my training! I would even work for free for QF, as my dad has enough money to support me...

So please guys lay off me, I dont like to be teached about my grammer, or spelling for the matter.

CNM :E

And when you don't get in.....then what? :}

Send me a postcard from Kununurra......but if you where that smart, you'd know "what" that is :8

Keep licking the honey from your golden spoon - you have a lot to learn in life.

Oh, by the way....what "universoty" did you go to? Remind me never to go there!! Obviously a great learning institution - or maybe it's just YOU :}

-_HowUdoiN_-
4th May 2006, 11:17
CNM,

Im going to have to agree with TruBlue on this one. As a final year student of an aviation degree, your attitude sounds more like a spoilt brat than the maturity in which a degree is supposed to attribute.

Oh and by the way, one of the students in my course will be applying for the cadetship for the 3rd time now, as his dad, a 747 captain obviously could not "get" him a place.

Good luck, and might one day have a drink with you in kununurra!:}

Pass-A-Frozo
4th May 2006, 11:31
I think you'll find he is winding you up gents. Hence his :E emoticon..

Not to mention the fact he should of got a real degree anyway :E :E

ContactMeNow
4th May 2006, 11:32
Some people just don't get "humour" :rolleyes:

I apologise to all, it appears this place is alot more serious than I first thought...

I feel sorry for you guys that don't see the light-hearted side to this. Im sure many PPruner's will see the comical side to my post (ie everything that sh1t stirs godzone and dunnunda)

From now on I will only post when im in a "serious" mood.

SMILE :} might make your PAX feel better (or yourself for that matter)

CMN :ok:

Pass-A-Frozo
4th May 2006, 11:35
Yeah but if you did an aviation degree you really should have got a real degree :p

Pass-A-Frozo
4th May 2006, 11:38
You should have got a real degree too.. :p

I have an Aviation Degree too, but I'm afraid it wont make you a "better" pilot with that attitude. I agree.. I don't think your Aviation Degree will make him a better pilot. :p :p

CAUTION: Just winding you up too :E

carro
4th May 2006, 11:57
HowUdoin

Make that 4th time lucky for the cadet applicant!!!! Hahaha

carro

p.s go hard this weekend Lev! yewwwwwwwww

disco_air
4th May 2006, 12:24
http://www2.aviation.unsw.edu.au/images/salesl.jpg

Mawgh you blokes.....

ContactMeNow
4th May 2006, 12:30
I would never bag out my fellow brother's ;)

That is one thing RR cant teach...spelling :ok:

As for a real degree, I beg to differ on that one....I worked my ar$e off for 3 years to get where I am today (a poor GA pilot) and im mighty proud of it!

MAWGH :}

Love your work disco :E

CNM

disco_air
4th May 2006, 12:52
-_HowUdoiN_-

carro

Too much study (at kenso) and no play makes you 'blokes' dull boys.

...Disco ;)

kookabat
4th May 2006, 12:52
maturity in which a degree is supposed to attribute.

What's that supposed to mean??? :ugh: :uhoh: :}

WIND-UP ALERT!!!!!! :}

ContactMeNow
4th May 2006, 13:10
-_HowUdoiN_-

carro

Too much study (at kenso) and no play makes you 'blokes' dull boys.

...Disco ;)

As oppossed to me, all play and no study....

Could explain the grammar? :}

*memories*

carro
4th May 2006, 13:26
me fail english.. thats umpossible

-_HowUdoiN_-
4th May 2006, 13:30
What's that supposed to mean??? :ugh: :uhoh: :}
WIND-UP ALERT!!!!!! :}

LOL!!!! On your bike purcy!!

HowUdoiN

-_HowUdoiN_-
4th May 2006, 13:34
HowUdoin
Make that 4th time lucky for the cadet applicant!!!! Hahaha
carro
p.s go hard this weekend Lev! yewwwwwwwww

Will do captain! ;)

carro
4th May 2006, 13:34
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahahahahaha gold gold gold

Captain Fun
4th May 2006, 13:41
TruBlu351, you are an a$$clown! How could you fall for something like that!!

kookabat
4th May 2006, 13:52
LOL!!!! On your bike purcy!!

Sprung. Bugger!;)

Must try harder next time.

TruBlu351
4th May 2006, 14:22
TruBlu351, you are an a$$clown! How could you fall for something like that!!
Hook, line and sinker!
A big juicy lure and I gulped it :} Call me Kunna Barra :ok:

ContactMeNow
4th May 2006, 23:15
Hook, line and sinker!
A big juicy lure and I gulped it :} Call me Kunna Barra :ok:

You may also want to add the following to the above list:

Rod
Reel
Tackle BoxCMN :E

shortandsmelly
4th May 2006, 23:47
Call me Kunna Barra

You're Kunna Barra.

:}

hey CMN - what about swallowing the whole boat?:eek:

disco_air
5th May 2006, 01:38
Talk about thread hijacking 'you blokes'!

Eight Ball
8th May 2006, 00:27
Howdy everyone,

Just new on the forum. Can anyone help me out please with any info on ATPL classes during the evening around Sydney. Like 6-9pm weekdays or weekends ? Sorry, don't mean to hijack the thread.

Thanks for your help

Eight Ball

disco_air
8th May 2006, 00:36
Dont know about evening classes in Sydney, but you may be able to work something out with this bloke (http://www.aviation.unsw.edu.au/news/2005/atpl2006.html). Not all of the components go for the entire day, and it's modular, so you can do them bit by bit too.

The best in Sydney.

...Disco

P.S I dont think it was thread hijacking, more getting it back on track from the previous hijackers... 'you blokes'!