PDA

View Full Version : Real Money

ORAC
19th Apr 2006, 06:21
Remember the days when if you had a 10 bob note, a halfcrown, a florin and a couple of tanners in your pocket you could a have a good meal and a few pints? And if you had a couple of quid you were set for the night, and if you had a pony, you could treat your mates as well. Farthings, thrupenny bits, I even have 3 coronation crowns tucked away in a drawer.

Tell the kids that these days... and they won´t know what the hell you are talking about.... :ouch:

Saintsman
19th Apr 2006, 06:42
I suppose you used to live in a shoe box int middle of road.

BDiONU
19th Apr 2006, 06:59
I suppose you used to live in a shoe box int middle of road.
Luxury! I used to dream........

BD

IMHFO
19th Apr 2006, 06:59
Yep and you'd get most of that by taking the cardboard out of the slot and pushing Button B. Then down to the local at 15 yo and get pi$$ed on only one pint and then get with Mary ...(errr no, don't worry about that bit).

The kids of today..........

Ahh those were the days - "lick road clean with tongue"

ORAC
19th Apr 2006, 07:12
Oh ay, proper telephone boxes with metal cash boxes and bakelite phones. None of yer modern plastic rubbish.

tilewood
19th Apr 2006, 07:13
The white 'fiver', the size of the Daily Mirror, and today about
worth as much!! :hmm:

Loose rivets
19th Apr 2006, 07:20
One remembers the end of farthings. http://www.augk18.dsl.pipex.com/Smileys/old.gif..not the official end, but a fat old lady, the ends of her mouth turned way down, saying, "Oooohh, FARTHINGS!. oh alright, just this time." I gave her the 4 farthings, and a couple of pennies and ran orf wi me Eldorado ice-cream.

I have boxes of old money, but very little of it is in fine condition. Still, the threepenny bits arouse some interest.

My mate had an amusement arcade. One night he searched for the famous.....huh, can't remember...1912 penny was it. Worth a fortune. Anyway, they drank coffee into the early hours sifting through biscuit tins of pennies. (Go on, tell us yer don't know what a biscuit tin is. They're about 10 - 12" cube of thin silver metal....made great stage spotlights at school. ) anyway, it took hours, and they didn't find one. As he was getting undressed, he threw his change on the dressing table....yep, there had been one in his pocket all night.

It's odd, cos he'd had the feeling all night that he would find one, and there were only a few unaccounted for in the world.

tony draper
19th Apr 2006, 07:21
Coins were works of art in them days, one has a half crown, it would grace a glass case in that tate modern,twould be a change from the shite they have hanging there as well.
One could get tubes of sherbet in thosae days as well,none to be had now,one misses sherbet.
:(
One has a large jar of brass thrupenny bits,dunno why one's dad collected em,all dated 1938 if one recalls correctly
Think it were 1933 pennies that were worth a king ransom Mr Rivets

Capn Notarious
19th Apr 2006, 07:27
That were in the days when I found three Ģ1.00 notes , late 1960's. Took em to the local police station and got a receipt. Devaluation is now demonstrated by the satellite police station:its times of opening are reduced.
Things ain't what they should be. ......

BALIX
19th Apr 2006, 07:36
Aw come one you old gits, pre-decimal money was shite. Twelve pennies in a shilling, twenty shillings in a pound was bad enough. But splitting the penny up into farthings, 2/6 being half a crown (I never remember 5/- being a crown but I guess it was), a pound and a shilling being a ginnee - yes, I know I've not spelt it correctly - florins, tanners... What a mess.

;)

MagnusP
19th Apr 2006, 07:37
One could get tubes of sherbet in thosae days as well,none to be had now,one misses sherbet.
:(
.... with the liquorice "straw" in the end. Or in the little rice paper flying saucers. We were happy then. :ok:

ORAC
19th Apr 2006, 07:44
Ay Libri, Solidi, Denarii, real money with a bit of history behind it, and when you had to be able to do a bit of mental arithmetic. Best of all, it confused the hell out of Spams and Frenchmen. :ok: Nowt wrong with a guinea.

tony draper
19th Apr 2006, 07:45
On second thoughts one thinks sherbet is available in some quarters,though our young seem to suck it up their noses now.
:rolleyes:

Devlin Carnet
19th Apr 2006, 09:01
Aye, an Beano and a lucky bag, Though I was never particularly lucky, allus got 2 dolly mixtures and a plastic soldier with a parachute, ( me nan used the parachute for a rain hat though :rolleyes: "

tony draper
19th Apr 2006, 09:09
Plastic bah ! there were nowt wrong wi lead soldiers.
Nyoka The Jungle Girl at the Saturday Matinee turned me into a leg man,thrupense to gerrin it were,for the posh seats that is.

Strepsils
19th Apr 2006, 09:17
Aah, the good old days. Shillings and smallpox, crowns and cholera. Those were the days.:ugh: :zzz: :p

Gainesy
19th Apr 2006, 09:31
Airfix Spitfire at 1/6d, no thats not the scale.:)

acbus1
19th Apr 2006, 09:36
Can't help wondering if all that regular mental gymnasticification with £, s and d (and reet proper skewling, an all) wasn't the reason folks could do arithmetic in their heads wen ai wer a lad..

Peeps these days can't add two and two without an electronicalified calculator.

BlueWolf
19th Apr 2006, 09:41
They don't bother with a calculator for two and two these days, they just Google for the answer :rolleyes:

angels
19th Apr 2006, 09:50
Aw come one you old gits

Excellent stuff Mr Balix.

I quite agree, but how sad you will never know the joy of being the owner of a half a crown. By heck, that was real money.

BTW Herr Drapes - There is an old style sweetie emporium in Greenwich covered market. Last time I was there I got a bag of dolly mixtures, the wife went for bonbons and her sister had the sherbet lemons. Seriously, there are shedloads of sweeties in this place. Wonder if they're on the web, will check.

BALIX
19th Apr 2006, 09:51
Peeps these days can't add two and two without an electronicalified calculator

You are not too far from the truth there. There was a programme on Channel Four last night which placed a load of teenagers in a fifties style boarding school. Not one of them knew how to even make an attempt at a fairly standard long division despite many of them expected to get A* in their GCSEs. So I asked my son who already has an A in (Scottish) Higher maths and was so good at it that he made his maths teacher weep when he said he wasn't going to do it to advanced Higher standard. He reckoned that he might have been able to work out how to do it but that he had never been taught it. :hmm:

Back on topic:

I quite agree, but how sad you will never know the joy of being the owner of a half a crown

Actually I do remember. I was nine on Decimalisation Day. Half a crown back then was good money for a nine year old and even then sounded better than twelve and a half pee. Still a daft system, though...

Dop
19th Apr 2006, 10:01
I was reading a book about the Lyons Electronic Office, which was the first computer ever built for business use by Lyons of the bakery and the tea shops. Another great British invention left to fall by the wayside, but I digress.

In this book it mentions how before they developed the business computer, Lyons had a whole bunch of adding machines they got cheap from America, but in order to do their accounting, they had to convert everything from pounds, shillings and pence into decimal, and then after they'd added everything up, convert it all back again..

And that's the real reason for decimalisation. Makes it all much easier for the computers to reckon up!

ORAC
19th Apr 2006, 10:08
And why should we make it easy for the computers when we didnīt for the Spams and French.... :*

ORAC
19th Apr 2006, 10:12
Penny Sweet Shop. (http://www.pennysweetshop.com/acatalog/) Flying saucers are under novelty.

Gainesy
19th Apr 2006, 10:13
I remember my old man had a little red book calleda "ready Reckoner" bit like a log book for Ģ.s.d.

Still, bet a lot on here won't know how to use a guessin stick or do logs.

tony draper
19th Apr 2006, 10:16
One thunk computers counted in twelves or is it eights?,hexidecimal or summat.
:confused:

One thinks the decimal system was brung in when them southeners started being born with only 10 fingers.

Groundgripper
19th Apr 2006, 10:20
Excellent stuff Mr Balix.
I quite agree, but how sad you will never know the joy of being the owner of a half a crown. By heck, that was real money.
And you could divide it equally three ways without causing the outbreak of World War III when you and two mates found one in the street!
BTW Herr Drapes - There is an old style sweetie emporium in Greenwich covered market. Last time I was there I got a bag of dolly mixtures, the wife went for bonbons and her sister had the sherbet lemons. Seriously, there are shedloads of sweeties in this place. Wonder if they're on the web, will check.
do they sell Berwick cockles and black bullets?
GG

acbus1
19th Apr 2006, 10:23
Still, bet a lot on here won't know how to use a guessin stick or do logs.
I'm an exponent.

Sorry, base humour.

Strange how the youth of today seem OK at multiplication. :rolleyes:

B Fraser
19th Apr 2006, 10:30
So I asked my son who already has an A in (Scottish) Higher maths

Ah, the benefits of a celtic education, tell kids today that you can multiply and divide fractions using a pencil and they won't believe you.

One still has a penchant for "thrup'ny bits" :E

Groundgripper
19th Apr 2006, 10:32
Still, bet a lot on here won't know how to use a guessin stick.
My local auction had an Otis King cylindrical slide rule, complete with original box and instructions, for sale a couple of weeks ago - I got there just too late to bid for it:mad:
It would have gone well with my circular slide rule - haven't yet worked that one out beyond multiplying two and two and getting something three and a half and four and a quarter:bored:
GG

ORAC
19th Apr 2006, 10:40
Donīt know why puters find it difficult, the old mechanical cash registers did it well enough. Lovely great big brass things with numbers that chinged up and down. Luvely they were, the modern things in the supermarket just canīt compare. And then there the little canisters which you could fire on wires across the shop with money and the like. Shops were a reet treat for kids in them days.

Bahn-Jeaux
19th Apr 2006, 10:50
Ah, British Thornton Slide Rules, Log Tables, the stuff my classrom nightmares were made of.
Still managed to pass my O levels when they were worth something (grades 1 to 6, anything below that a fail)
When I went back to college some years later as a mature student, I regularly got over 90% in my maths exams as those newfangled calculators made things oh so easy.
Back to real money too, you could divide a shilling by 2, 3, and 4.
Lets see you do that with these horrible modern coins that pass for currency these days.

ORAC
19th Apr 2006, 10:58
1, 2, 3, 4, 6 and 12. And that was after the ha´penny went....

The SSK
19th Apr 2006, 11:05
Hang on, I've got a farthing in my desk drawer.

1918, GEORGIVS V DEI GRA BRITT OMN REX FID DEF IND IMP
Not bad nick, worth anything?

tony draper
19th Apr 2006, 11:11
Were a weeks pay for a pitman that were in my day,yer could put down a deposit on a house with that yer could.
And still have enough left for a fish supper.

acbus1
19th Apr 2006, 11:28
I was OK with log tables until mensuration kicked in.

Got very messy then. :\

angels
19th Apr 2006, 11:35
Mr Gripper

do they sell Berwick cockles and black bullets?

I've found the website, but it's still under construction.http://www.mrhumbug.com/ but there is a phone number.

ORAC
19th Apr 2006, 11:43
Berwick Cockles (http://www.mrsbrowns.co.uk/acatalog/copy_of_BERWICK_COCKLES.html) Black Bullets (http://www.aquarterof.co.uk/black-bullets-p-483.html)

frostbite
19th Apr 2006, 11:57
Saw cartons of Flying Saucers on offer at Makro's fairly recently.

Onan the Clumsy
19th Apr 2006, 13:09
Another sweetshop on the net (http://aquarterof.com/)

Did anyone else ever get caught nicking stuff at the local sweetshop?

I did and I got a dressing down and I was able to leave a life of crime behind me...well mostly :}

acbus1
19th Apr 2006, 13:14
1918, GEORGIVS V DEI GRA BRITT OMN REX FID DEF IND IMP
Not bad nick, worth anything?
I shouldn't think so, with all those letters missing.

Bahn-Jeaux
19th Apr 2006, 13:26
Wow Onan, just visited that link and they have Winter Mix, hmmm, must delve into my tanner jar (Dimple whiskey bottle) and relive some boyhood pleasures.

Rushton
19th Apr 2006, 13:29
I recently relived some boyhood pleasures - my case comes up next week.

strafer
19th Apr 2006, 16:48
Just had my boss ask me why I'm grinning at my monitor.

He seemed a bit baffled when I told him, "It was another of acbus1's posts".

Keep up the good work. :ok:

BDiONU
19th Apr 2006, 19:16
Actually I do remember. I was nine on Decimalisation Day. Half a crown back then was good money for a nine year old and even then sounded better than twelve and a half pee.
Ah yea olde days <nostalgic sigh> Government Information film on the introduction of decimalisation here (http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/films/1964to1979/filmpage_decimal.htm). Actually if you look through the site there are a lot of old faves of mine. Remember Charlie Says? Tufty Fluffytail? (Who was not a member of his club? Better than that new fangled Green Cross Man). And Fred and Petunia! Bliss :D

BD

Paris Dakar
19th Apr 2006, 20:28
tony draper,

Sir, there is an old sweet shop on Heaton Road in the East End of our fair town - would you like me to pop in and see if they sell sherbets and the like?