PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft update 11/04 can of worms

Irish Steve
18th Apr 2006, 23:10
Folks.

The latest M$ aautomatic patch update is a can of worms.

On 2 different machines today I've had major problems as a result of a bad update in the latest cycle.

IE unable to get to a web site unless it had the full http:\\www. prefix on the address, and the same machine freezing the Office application when attempting to save to a folder in "my documents".

There is also a VERY STRONG possibility that it is causing all sorts of strange woes where HP printers or cameras are installed on the machine.

On my machine here at home, after several minutes doing things in various applications, when attempting to update a user profile online, the mouse froze, to the extent that the pointer would not move at all, and then subsequent to that, having rebooted, not only did the mouse freeze, the keyboard went up it's own orifice as well, leaving the OS button as the only way out (OS button being the Ohhhhh sh1t button from MANY years ago on a machine that predated PC's by about 20 years). The only saving grace is that XP recovers more gracefully from this sort of thing than 98 used to.

There is an avoidance procedure, documented on M$ support site, but if you're having anything like the problems I did, even getting there is going to be tedious, so the link to the patch is:-

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918165

It needs a Huge key entering in the registry, and what seems to be the safest way to do it is to access the patch, cut and paste the key bit into notepad, but with care as follows, to avoid getting an invalid entry in the registry.

Open regedit and navigate to the key field that has to be patched. BEFORE right clicking the "cached" item to enter the new key, cut the new key into scratchpad, as if you try to cut it after opening "cached", you will end up with an invalid entry in the registry as it saves it with the wrong Dword data when you try to copy it. On one of my machines, there was no "Cached" field, so I had to create it, which is not documented at all in their avoidance. After creating the key, update the data value to 1, and then, to be safe, I rebooted, though I don't know if that's necessary or not.

On the basis of what I've seen today, this is a major fcuk up, which should have been found long before it got out into the real world, and the potential damage it's doing now probably outweighs the damage the original security scare caused. The big hassle is that it's not consistent, there are a number of possible failures, some of which seem completely unrelated to the area that the patch was resolving, thus making it very hard to diagnose.

You have been warned.

jimgriff
19th Apr 2006, 13:45
Thanks Steve, This cured a problem that developed with my PC. See thread MS Word probs!:ok:

Gouabafla
20th Apr 2006, 08:55
This may be what is causing my printing issue on another thread, but the patch doesn't fix it. The bad news is that I now have three computers that won't print!

Edited to say this isn't quite true. I've now got my HP printer working, but still my Canon lasertjet makes everything fall over.

Fujiflyer
20th Apr 2006, 10:52
I just found this interesting article in the Guardian newspaper:

http://technology.guardian.co.uk/weekly/story/0,,1756682,00.html

sky9
21st Apr 2006, 17:52
I have exactly the same problem as Jimgriff. The question is why should I have to go into the registry to sort out a problem that Microsoft has caused.

I am expecting that the next update will provide a solution from Microsoft. I hope I'm right.

sky9
22nd Apr 2006, 06:26
I have also found that since the update MS06-015
Norton Win Doctor stalls when doing a shortcut check.
Thanks Uncle Bill, That's some Virus you put on my PC.

Saab Dastard
22nd Apr 2006, 11:05
Maybe it's all part of a cunning plot to make us all want to move to Vista...:}

Mac the Knife
22nd Apr 2006, 15:35
Maybe it's all part of a cunning plot to make us all want to move to Vista...:}

I do believe he's got it!

I can just see it now....

MICROSOFT MAVEN ADVISES MOVE TO VISTA

In a shock announcement today Bill Gates, Microsoft's chief software architect and founder advised users of previous Windows versions to switch to Vista.

"They're all completely insecure and riddled with bugs", Gates said, "Vista on the other hand represents the pinnacle of operating system development."

Deja moo - I've heard that bull before.

Hobo
22nd Apr 2006, 16:43
Same problem as Irish Steve and I have just installed a new HP8050 printer ( to replace an old HP940). Microsoft say HP are no longer distributing the relevant software but I bought this printer last week in PC world.

frostbite
22nd Apr 2006, 17:00
My current machine was delivered with SP2 XP installed and I've never allowed it to update, on the 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' basis.

I may have done the right thing for once?

DBTL
22nd Apr 2006, 17:55
They're all completely insecure and riddled with bugs", Gates said, "Vista on the other hand represents the pinnacle of operating system development."

Where did he say this??:ooh:

Hobo
22nd Apr 2006, 19:41
The HP printer software seems to be the problem. If I was to uninstall the printer and all its programmes could I then install it again without the share to web stuff- I just want a basic printer. What do you think guys....would this work?

rotorcraig
23rd Apr 2006, 10:35
I've done a bit of reading around on this and whilst it clearly ain't good for Microsoft to issue wpdates that cause people problems, I have seen a few references that suggest that upgrading HP and/or NVIDIA devices to the latest drivers will clear this issue.

For example this articla at ActiveWin.com (http://www.activewin.com/awin/comments.asp?HeadlineIndex=34492&Group=1)
#12 By NotParker (361 Posts) at 4/18/2006 2:00:45 PM
More info:

http://blogs.technet.com/msrc/default.aspx

"Hi everyone, Mike Reavey here again. I wanted to follow up with the results of our investigation into some issues with security update MS06-015. Turns out that under certain circumstances, changes introduced in MS06-015 could cause an application to stop responding during specific interactions with older versions of Hewlett Packard’s “Share-to-web” software utility, or older NVIDIA video card drivers. In the case of the Hewlett Packard software, their new version known as “HP Image Zone Version 5” is not affected. Neither are the most recent NVIDIA graphics card drivers. So customers running these more recent versions are not affected by this issue. The current versions of the Hewlett Packard and NVIDIA software are available from the manufacturer websites.

To give you some idea of the scope of the problem, so far out of over 120 million successful installations of the MS06-015 update, the number of calls related to this issue is currently well under a thousand. Of course, even one customer having a problem is too many and that’s why we’ve been working on investigating this and determining solutions. We are also continuing to monitor the situation to measure scope and impact.

We’ve updated security bulletin MS06-015 to document this issue. In addition, we published knowledge base article 918165, which details the older software this issue affects. We’ll be updating that soon to provide locations to the updated software that is unaffected by this issue. We’re working directly with the manufactures of the affected software to assist customers.

So to be clear, customers who are running the latest NVIDIA drivers, or who are running the current version of the Hewlett Packard Image Zone software are not impacted. Customers who believe they are affected should upgrade to the latest versions of the affected software, or they can contact Microsoft Product Support Services for assistance. Contact Product Support Services in North America for help with security update issues at no charge using the PC Safety line (1-866-PCSAFETY) and international customers by using any method found at this location:

http://support.microsoft.com/gp/securityhome

Meanwhile we're still looking at the best way to assist customers who may have been impacted by this and I encourage everyone to review KB article 918165 or contact us using the number above if they think they are having the problem."
So, as you suggest, could be worth removing your drivers & programs and downloading the latest from the HP website?

Haven't actually [had to] try this as I have not experienced problems myself. I don't have any HP devices and my NVIDIA onboard graphics seem to be fine (touch wood!)

RC

Hobo
23rd Apr 2006, 11:15
Thanks,

I don't really understand what I'm doing here but I uninstalled only the HP Share to web stuff by right clicking on the "share to web" desktop icon and then clicking on the unistall programme link. This seems to have fixed all problems.

Mac the Knife
23rd Apr 2006, 12:33
My current machine was delivered with SP2 XP installed and I've never allowed it to update, on the 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' basis.

I may have done the right thing for once?

Ummm. Actually no frosty.

Most updates are good and fix bugs and security holes. By not patching you expose yourself to far worse problems and vulnerabilities.

MS has been heavily pressured recently to release patches for discovered vulnerabilities before the patches have been properly tested - you see the result.

MS have already released a patch for this patch as well as a variety of workarounds.

I dislike MS' business practices intensely but lets keep some perspective hey!

Mac :ok:

[Thinks: Why am I defending Microsoft?]

rotorcraig
23rd Apr 2006, 13:19
I don't really understand what I'm doing here but I uninstalled only the HP Share to web stuff by right clicking on the "share to web" desktop icon and then clicking on the unistall programme link. This seems to have fixed all problems.Sounds about right. From what I've read the problem is compatability between this MS Patch and HP Share to web.

By uninstalling HP Share to web you have probably resolved the conflict.

If you do need HP Share to web back on your machine, try to find an updated version on the HP Website. If you don't need it, then I should quit whilst you are ahead ;)

RC

sky9
25th Apr 2006, 06:37
I can confirm that removing "Share to web" removed the problem.

The only problem I now have is that every time I shut down Word I get a note that the normal template has been changed. Any suggestions?

airborne_artist
25th Apr 2006, 08:03
FWIW I bought a new desktop with XP Pro SP2 in Jan 06, and enabled the live update facility. None of the updates have caused a problem.