PDA

View Full Version : Sun City

George Tower
18th Apr 2006, 16:08
Hi all

Wanted to fly from FACT to Sun City and just found out there's no longer any flights - wasn't the service up to a daily at one stage. What's accounted for the drop in loads??

Rgds

GT

phydeaux
18th Apr 2006, 17:51
The Government legalised gambling ?:confused:

jimmythegong
18th Apr 2006, 18:46
Went to Sun City for the women's world golfing champs, and was amazed to find 3 people sitting in the "Squires loft" restaurant on a Saturday afternoon.
The service has gone to hell, and I think the basic reason for stopping the flights was lack of interest from the public.( Sun City rates have been exorbitant from it's inception, and they have never really cared about the local market, depending on foreign visitors for their Dollars and Pounds,etc.)
The other thing that astounds me about the place is how the goverment could have been stupid enough to give it international status when I reckon no more than 50 aircraft a month pass through it's doors.Strange place, Africa.......

B Sousa
18th Apr 2006, 21:17
Was there a few years ago as a guest of the owner. Since he has gone and gambling has been legalized as mentioned above, there is only one place left to stay there. 'The Palace". The rest are holes as far as I have seen.
In fact I need some updates on the Palace, anyone been there lately??
Francois??
I think the commuter used to be Sun Air?? worked good for me. I even commented to the Pilot as we chatted about Pay etc. He seemed happy as he tried to justify why he was getting less than a Cape Cabbie.

reptile
19th Apr 2006, 05:28
Sax operated the route for a number of years. Frequency was dropped to three flights a week and route finally abandoned because of low demand. The aircraft is now utilised on the CPT/GBE route.

Deskjocky
19th Apr 2006, 10:13
SAX used to operate the route form Cape Town to Sun City and if I remember correctly then went on to Hoedspruit. The basic problem the airline had with Sun City was the owners- Sun International. These guys are professionals at screwing airlines into providing service to their resorts at no risk to themselves, of course the route doesn’t do well so Sun International always blames the airline's pricing- never ever does it consider dropping its own room rates to stimulate demand- result the airlines looses a packet and pulls off the route. Pretty much the same thing going on at Livingstone right now where all the airlines (CE/BA/SA) are fighting each other for traffic to 2 hotels - no prizes for guessing who owns the properties :yuk: Once again the packages are being made affordable by ridiculously cheap airfares where the hotel doesn’t discount their rate one cent. You can be guaranteed that when VFA starts to improve not one carrier will operate into LVI.

Sultan Ismail
19th Apr 2006, 15:44
Well now, this is right up my street. I have booked into the Table Bay at the Waterfront next Friday for 2 nights, then onto the Palace of the Lost City for 2 nights and finally at the Royal Livingstone for 2 nights, closing our SA experience somewhere in Jo'burg before returning to Bali H'ai.

Expect to be using Nationwide for the connecting flights.

Will happily report back on the experience.