PDA

View Full Version : Airshow Stopped For Safety

EPIRB
18th Apr 2006, 14:08
From The Herald Sun

Airshows stopped for safety

18apr06

A BRISBANE airport that helped commemorate a decisive World War II battle has been forced to end its air shows due to safety concerns and costs.

Archerfield Airport, in Brisbane's south-west, staged the Battle of the Coral Sea Airshow on May 10, 1992, and has also held a number of other air shows featuring vintage and historic planes.
Managing director of the privately-owned Archerfield Airport Corporation (AAC), Gavin Bird, said the corporation had suffered problems getting approval from the Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA).

It was also facing ongoing insurance costs and complying with security measures in line with federal government regulations, he said.

"We've been designated as a secure airport under the terrorism arrangements, which means there are some restrictions on access to the airport and the need to take greater precautions than have occurred in the past," Mr Bird said today.

"There is a restriction on those who can go airside and we need to be careful that we've got secure areas where people can't just have access to runways and things."

For Mr Bird, the 50th Anniversary Coral Sea Airshow in 1992 had been the highlight of the airport's displays because of the large community involvement needed to stage the event.

"It required many volunteers and a lot of them put in long hours and a lot of selflessness," Mr Bird said.

"It's not possible to run air shows on a strictly commercial basis without enthusiasts."

Archerfield Airport did not stage an air show last year and AAC directors decided this year it was not practical to continue with shows catering to large numbers of people, he said.

But Mr Bird said the AAC may hold open days at the airport instead of full air shows and would be keen to support air shows at Caboolture, north of Brisbane and at Bundaberg, in south-east Queensland.

I wonder how Avalon will be treated in regards to security and Asic card requirements?

Spodman
18th Apr 2006, 16:13
I wonder how Avalon will be treated in regards to security and Asic card requirements? There is no reason to expect common sense to prevail. This government treats aviation with contempt.

low_flyer
19th Apr 2006, 01:22
Airshows stopped for safety

Despite the title, I don’t see safety as an issue from that article.

To me the problems are:
- bureaucratic hoop-jumping
- increased insurance requirements
- and those bloody security regulations

Once again, aviation's message is lost through less than optimal journalism

Bendo
19th Apr 2006, 01:40
News-by-media-release is a reliable method of getting your point of view accross. In most stories like this the copy is largely copied verbatim or paraphrased from the press release that turned up on the Fax or Email.

Isn't it a pity we no longer have a "peak" body with the nous to issue media releases that can convey the message we need to send?

:{