PDA

View Full Version : Ryanair vs. EasyJet

samueldethierry
17th Apr 2006, 22:17
RYANAIR vs. EASYJET.

What used to be a tight battle is loosening up. As Ryanair sinks, Easyjet rises to the occasion.

More technical failures seem to be hitting Ryanair causing more frequent and longer delays, coupled with a severe depression in Customer Service levels. Average flight statistics are as follows. Check in queues are long, with unhelpful and unhappy staff. Boarding, especially with the new prioirty online check-in policy is CHAOS (even more at the small airports) - Everyone is everywhere. Onboard, people are unhappy not getting the seats they want and aircraft is in a state - with the exception of the first 1 or 2 flights of the day. Flight takes off late (generally from major hubs). Surly, cold and unhappy cabin attendants reluctantly start in-flight service. and the flight ends with the usual Ryanair bump (more like smash in some destinations) of a landing. Passengers Disembark unhappy.

However, at EasyJet, passengers seem to be enjoying their experiences. Although they aren't the most amazing on-time airline, overall they keep customers certainly happier than Ryanair do. Average check-in coupled with SENSIBLE, ORGANISED boarding procedures. Aircraft are fairly clean and tidy, attemps have been made during turn-arround to work on the cabin presentation. Cabin crew smart, happy and helpful. A smooth Easyjet landing leads passengers to a happy arrival at their destination.

The above are judging from Statistics of Passenger reports and opinions of about 60 per airline.

By the way, is their any reason why, overall EasyJet pilots land much smoother with their 737-300, 737-700 and A319 Jets than ryanair with their 737-800's. It's not the 737-800 - south african airways produce beautiful landings with the jet.

AlexEvans
17th Apr 2006, 22:30
Is this a wind-up?

LB1985
17th Apr 2006, 22:34
Errrm what? :confused: Ryanair are consistently bad in every area, easyJet are the opposite? Ryanair pilots not so good at landing, easyJet pilots better at it? Isn't this all rather subjective?!

Incidentally, I've travelled with both airlines. The Ryanair flights were on time, the easyJet flight was delayed. Wouldn't say I noticed any difference in quality of landings either (I don't think I'm in a position to judge, if we walk away, it's a good landing in my view!)

samueldethierry
17th Apr 2006, 22:54
THIS IS NOT A WIND UP!

check the flight info. see the delays late at night.

The info is gathered from Skytrax - global airline rankers. Look at the flight reviews for Ryanair. Compare the star ranking to easyjet and what people say.

I've travelled with both, Ryanair and Easyjet, i'm much happier on EasyJet even if i'm 20mins late.

The only problem is that Easyjet are getting expensive - in comparison with Ryanair.

LB1985
17th Apr 2006, 22:57
And this constitutes a rumour or news? :confused:

EI-CFC
17th Apr 2006, 23:29
SENSIBLE, ORGANISED boarding procedures

LOL - sure, I believe it!

GusHoneybun
17th Apr 2006, 23:47
personally couldn't give a rats arse about the ryanair/easyjet debate, but i am bamboozled as to the reaction that people constantly have. if you don't like an airline's SOP's or attitude, then dont fly with them. end of story. it is well documented on this site as to the difference between the airlines and we all have our (strong) own opinions. come clean with your agenda.

both these companies have survived a serious downturn in the industry and are probably guilty of being instigators for the bouyancy of the recruitment market at present.

if you are that upset with your 0.99 euro seat, pay the extra and fly BA.

Nov71
18th Apr 2006, 00:07
Maybe the EasyJet passengers are hoping they may star in the weekly 30min TV promo called Airline. Whilst it shows some Pax in a bad light it highlights Customer Service disasters ( I guess RyanAir would insist these were cut if about them, so Brownie points to EasyJet)
Tonight's offering.
Check-in staff not knowing the Visa requirements for Geneva, more concerned about cost if refused entry
15 passengers delayed in transit to Paris, refused boarding due to lack of communication between depts, despite assurances connection would be held for boarding. They then try to blame the Pax for not allowing 90min for connection so EasyJet not responsible. A crew member then waltzes thru and boards. Finally EasyJet recognise the PR disaster and boards the PAX
I appreciate Customer Services bear the brunt of customer wrath, but don't employ jobsworths on the front line.
It may be nice to fly to the Spain for 1p but it devalues the experience if you are treated with respect & honesty. The airlines set the price, the pax set the expectations. Reasonable folk should expect reaonable service for a reasonable price.

heavy glider
18th Apr 2006, 00:55
i would suggest that the reason (among many) that ryanair's flights run late towards the end of the day is the 25min turnaround. 25mins is only just managable if the flights are about 2/3 full, (about 130 pax) but if an aircraft comes in and offloads 189 pax and then boards 189 pax, 25mins is not quite enough time for a turnaround. therefore the chances that your flight will be delayed are higher towards the end of the day. a 30 mins turnaround is needed for the -800, as the 25 min turnaround (based on 130 seater 737-200) is not working. would anyone agree?

172driver
18th Apr 2006, 07:16
if you are that upset with your 0.99 euro seat, pay the extra and fly BA.

... and enjoy security at LHR and the All Day Deli :yuk: !!

cwatters
18th Apr 2006, 07:23
It would be interesting to know what percentage of routes are operated by both carriers? In other words are they really competing against each other? In my limited experience I've never had the luxury of being able to choose between these two carriers - and it seems quite rare for there to be a choice between any two low cost carriers. Perhaps I'm wrong.

N. Pressdown-Croppe
18th Apr 2006, 07:38
Well for starters old chap, easyJet and Ryanair both operate from Nottingham East Midlands to Rome Ciampino. Super destination.

Best regards,

Nathan Pressdown-Croppe

oldlag53
18th Apr 2006, 09:21
My wife and I fly quite regularly from Northern Ireland to the mainland, and our consensus is that Easyjet is significantly better than Ryanair. Ryanair (coming from the top down, of course) absolutely do not give a toss about their customers. The new plastic RYR 737s are extraordinary - just like cattle trucks - presumably they just hose them out at the end of the day!

Yet, we still fly RYR - why? - because they fly from LDY (50 mins drive), while EZY fly from BFS (2hrs 10 min drive).

You just grit your teeth, put your head down, and get on with it...

allanmack
18th Apr 2006, 09:36
Like oldlag I use the most convenient carrier in that I am closer to PIK than GLA and as such use FR as opposed to EZY although I have used EZY more recently as I have had to travel to LTN and LGW. If I compared the two, FR beats EZY on both price and punctuality with the cabin service about equal in terms of politeness and attention. In act I would put the cabin service of both on a par with BA who I use fairly routinely into LHR. As regards the aircraft, FR's 73-8s are superior to EZY's 73-3s(?) but I do like EZY's A319s.

captwannabe
18th Apr 2006, 09:50
I have flown many times with Ryanair, and I have never had any problems. The flights were always on time, customer service was always good, and the aircraft was always clean (and yes, I have been on both early morning and late night flights!). Also, no problem with boarding and the landings were always good.

Happy customer :)

brian_dromey
18th Apr 2006, 11:37
Personally I would rather fly with neither, in the last few months ryanair has really gone to the dogs, and the service is now byond rubbish, and approaching unaccecptable. The early 737-8AS's are now seriously battered and the crews, God love them, aren't much better. MOL is workin the whole organisation into the ground.

That said, I havent tried easyJet in a while, but the last time was not great, certainly better than FR tho...

The best of the LO-COs that I have tried is Aer Lingus, their fares are certainly comparable to easyJet, and it is actualy cheeper to fly into LHR with them this august than into STN with FR(by about a third) add the awful, and awfully expensive STN express to this and there is no competition.

On the landings issue...seems to be 'hit and miss' some are smooth others are awful, landing is an art, not a science.

BALIX
18th Apr 2006, 11:43
Well, I've heard many anti-Ryanair arguments but the 'crap landings' one takes the biscuit :rolleyes:

lbalad
18th Apr 2006, 12:09
I have flown both Easyjet and Ryanair and found them both to be ok.If I want to go to a certain destination,I just book the cheapest fare with whoever.You pays yer money and keep your fingers crossed.So far not had any major problems.

LGS6753
18th Apr 2006, 17:15
I'm surprised that the professional aviators among you don't rubbish this 'restriction' for what it is - marketing hype.

I know that FR timetable 25 minute turnrounds, and that they are extremely tight. But I also know that their sector times are somewhat generous, to ensure that they always arrive 'early', so they've got a good story for Joe Public.

I also know that they, along with easyJet, often schedule some 'recovery time' during the day. (Doesn't apply universally, but it does offer a breather in the case of weather or ATC delays.

If you set the hurdle low enough, you'll always clear it!!:8

the_fish@blueyonder.
18th Apr 2006, 17:58
I've just returned from a week of using both Ryanair and EasyJet.

EasyJet Glasgow-London Luton-Glasgow (10th-17th April)
Our flight left GLA on time, boarding was very quick (we were in Group A), even for what was an almost full flight. The crew were extremely happy and in a very friendly mood. Even though the flight was in the evening, and the inbound aircraft was about 10 minutes late, the plane (B737-700)was very clean and comfortable. Due to a VERY strong tail wind we arrived in Luton almost 30 minutes early! By the time the plane was scheduled to land, we were already waiting for a train at the Parkway Station!

Coming home, we arrived at the airport much later than we would normally, but still made check-in on time, and without any hassle. We were in group D for boarding on what was again, a pretty full flight. Once everyone was on board we left the stand about 5 minutes late, however this was due to traffic, and we did eventually take off around 15 minutes late due to incoming traffic. The flight was smooth, the crew were friendly and we arrived about 10 minutes early into Glasgow. The Pilot was also very informative on how the flight was going at various stages.

Ryanair London Stansted-Lubeck-Stansted (13th-15th April)
Stansted in the early morning (5:30am) was VERY busy with, I reckoned, at least 80% of the desks being used. The Terminal was absolutely packed, and there was a lot of confusion at the Ryanair desks as they were also checking in some flights which had other destinations on the screen above the desk. Apart from this, and 3 Drunk German Girls in front of us, the check in was quick and effortless. The Germans were even warned that they could be offloaded if they didn't calm down.

Once we got the gate (via the transit train), we could see the plane getting prepared for what I presume was it's first flight of the day. The usual scrum shortly followed once they announced boarding was to start, and even though the plane was almost full, we got away pretty much on time. Traffic on the taxiway meant we left 10 minutes late on our B737-800 (With winglets, which I think provided a much smoother take off). During the flight, the German crew were very helpful and chatty, and were sure to keep the previously mentioned Girls quite during the safety demo's. Our flight arrived about 10 minutes late, and due to very heavy cloud, I couldn't see any of the ground below for about 99% of the flight. The Pilot only updated us once or twice during the hour or so we were in the air.

Our return flight from Lubeck (one of the leas appealing airports I've been to) was on time, however the aircraft (738 no winglets) was filthy, both inside and out. There were crumbs on the floor at almost EVERY Aisle and the uncomfortable Pleather seats were harder than most of the FR flights I've been on of late. This was the aircrafts last flight of the night, I would think, as we arrived back at STN at 10pm. The crew did the safety demo and then disappeared for most of the flight, only coming round very quickly after about 40 minutes of being the air to offer the drinks and shop service. We then didn't see them till landing. The Pilot only updated us once when we were over the Channel, and again there was no visibility outside due to cloud. When we landed at STN, there was only 1 member of crew saying bye to the passengers (this was at the front, there was no one at the back) and the rest were chatting away to each other at the foot of the stairs.

In this case I'd say EasyJet win, but It's not to say I wouldn't use Ryanair again. I would fly with them, only if they were A LOT cheaper then other carriers, as flying to the main airport of a City is a bit nicer than an hour+ on a bus or train to get to your destination.

Ryanair Hotels are brilliant though, well worth the money, both of the locations I have stayed at (Rome Ciampino and Hamburg) have been very clean and comfortable.