PDA

View Full Version : Getting back at car dealers

Jerricho
17th Apr 2006, 20:26
Right, rant time here and looking for input, and I'm in a major sh*t stirring mood.

More than a little pissed off with the "experience" (to coin their phrase) I've had regarding the purchase of my new Toyota. The dealer is a lazy prick. He doesn't return my calls. When I took delivery of the vehicle, it had a scratch down the side. I had to do the running around and organise for it to be removed (else I would still be waiting). I've asked him several times about accessories/parts that should be with the vehicle that aren't (I want to take the roof rack off but there are no covers for the holes that will remain). I know this sounds a little like a spoilt child, but here in Canada companies like this are huge on their "customer satisfaction" hoohar, an by god, I'm gonna push them on this on (kinda like a mission statement they aren't living up to). i wonder how many people actually call them on this stuff.......you know the old "we're not happy till you're happy" crap.

I rang the general manager of the dealership just now and he's going to look into it. Any ideas of what I should push the guy for when he rings back?

lexxity
17th Apr 2006, 20:27
How about a free car?

Then you could sell yours on ebay to the jerks on the honda site!

Jerricho
17th Apr 2006, 20:29
Hey......you're good. :ok:

I really want to screw them on this one. I've got a feeling they do this to other customers, but I don't think anyone actually stands up for themselves.

timmcat
17th Apr 2006, 20:32
Jezza me old mate.

Get hold of the phone number for Toyota in Canada. Ask to speak to the 'Customer Relations' department (might be known as something else over there).

We tend to jump big style if we get a call from the manufacturer regarding a customer complaint - often, bonuses are judged on performance (or KPI's) and the dealer will not want to jepordise (sp?) those.

Ozzy
17th Apr 2006, 20:37
Tell them you will be calling JD Powers to let them know what's been going on.

Tell them to take the car back and refund your money.

Ozzy

Jerricho
17th Apr 2006, 21:13
Ahh, Timmcat, I was hoping you would see this (I kinda remembered you were involved in this game), and thank you for the tip. I'll give this guy a chance to make good somehow (be interesting to see what he comes up with) but I'll keep that little gem of advice close to hand.

I often wonder though how many people do actually make these bastards adhere to their PR/Customer Relations mantras. I've heard guys at work mumble about how they got shafted by so-and-so well known business that actively advertises to one and all how important customers are and alike. I'm trying really hard not to sound like I'm trying to scam freebies or being a cheap SOB. I honestly just trying to make them stand up to all their promises and mumbo-jumbo.

I love it when I have a crusade.

tart1
17th Apr 2006, 21:22
If a customer in our dealership was this unhappy, we would be bending over backwards to put it right.

Our unhappy customers generally speak to the Dealer Principal (or the Sales/Service Manager) and he will shout at everyone and get something done pronto.

They give people bunches of flowers and bottles of champagne too to pacify them. (As well as put the problem right!)

Toyota?? Well, what can I say?? :hmm:

(PS - ask for a weekend in a health spa as compensation for your stress and inconvenience!!)

con-pilot
17th Apr 2006, 21:26
Jerry, a few years back a guy here in Oklahoma bought a brand new Ford, somethingortheother, and it turned out to be a 'lemon' of a car. He requested that the dealer stand by the product and they refused.

So, he put decals of lemons all over the car, put it on a trailer with signs showing the dealers name and all that was wrong with the car. Then he towed the can all over town.

Well guess what? The local TV news started broadcasting him on the news, then the major networks picked up the story and show it on the national news.

End result, Ford refunded his money and gave a new car (Lincoln Continental) for free.

You know what he did then? Traded it in on a new Cadillac.:p

17th Apr 2006, 21:34
Do you have anything like the U.S "lemon law" in Canada?
http://autopedia.com/html/HotLinks_LemonMM.html

Jerricho
17th Apr 2006, 21:36
Tee hee.......good stories so far.

Thing is I'm heaps happy with my new FJ. It's a great vehicle.

The other stuff, not so much.

tart1
17th Apr 2006, 21:42
Well you know J, I would say: be happy with your vehicle (but get all you can out of them!) :}

I took delivery of a new vehicle from our place a couple of weeks ago but I managed to find a couple of small 'faults' and it was worth it!!!:O

Onan the Clumsy
17th Apr 2006, 21:50
The job title you're looking for is the Zone Manager.

at least it is in the States, and isn't Canada just another State anyway?

Jerricho
17th Apr 2006, 21:58
UPDATE!!!!

I've just had the "dealer" in question on the phone......sounds like somebody chewed him a new a-hole. Very apologetic, sorry, sorry, I'm personally looking into your requests, sorry, sorry. Your business is important to us.....blah, blah, blah. Basically told him to put up or shut up.

This is fun.

G-CPTN
17th Apr 2006, 22:04
Tell 'em that you're 'in touch' with a highly-respected bunch of professionals throught the World who are waiting for resolution of your complaints before making important and costly purchasing decisions . . .

. . . Oh! and will he kiss your 4r$e (and can we have a photie to post on this thread :E

separator
17th Apr 2006, 22:44
Just tell the dealer that your MIL will 'make him an offer he can't refuse'.

sep

Jerricho
17th Apr 2006, 22:46
The service hasn't been THAT bad ;)

Buster Hyman
17th Apr 2006, 23:14
Be blunt & to the point...tell him you'll tear him a new freckle!

Alternatively, send an e-mail to Toyota in TYO & copy him in...:E

G-CPTN
17th Apr 2006, 23:18
Alternatively, send an e-mail to Toyota in TYO & copy him in...:E
A great idea, especially if you can with-hold the Toyota copy. A great 'trick' that I learned in Industry, was to write memos to senior people (with copies to the stooge) and withold the top copy (addressed to the senior person). Got results, that did! :ok:

ShyTorque
17th Apr 2006, 23:44
Go to his car lot, let all the tyres down and superglue the valve caps on. :E

G-CPTN
17th Apr 2006, 23:47
Go to his car lot, let all the tyres down and superglue the valve caps on. :E
Wouldn't that be (air) theft?

ShyTorque
17th Apr 2006, 23:52
Wouldn't that be (air) theft?

No, Officer - just releasing it back into the wild.... ;)

tinpis
18th Apr 2006, 05:12
What did they do in the days of the GDR when after a five year wait you found some animal had eaten half of the mudguard on your new Trabant?

rotated
18th Apr 2006, 05:37
What did they do in the days of the GDR when after a five year wait you found some animal had eaten half of the mudguard on your new Trabant?
Wait around with a shotgun and stewpot for dinner to show itself (and the concept of the drive-in restaurant is born...) That's the problem these days people only look at the negative side of the issues:}
I also am less than thrilled the big T, the dealer service is no better here in Japan than in the good ol'e USofA. Staff could not recognise signs of incorrect toe-in showing on our new Fielder after a couple thousand kilos, even when I pointed out the very brushed tread. Finally I just told them to "check it on the machine", by g'd they said,you were right... Didn't bother to try to get compensated for the extra wear.

acbus1
18th Apr 2006, 06:35
When you talk to Toyota, can you tell them that their "car" is feckin ugly, please.

Gainesy
18th Apr 2006, 12:55
My missus had a run in with Toyota UK a couple of years ago, bought a new Shogun that was supposed to have a year's insurance thrown in, after two weeks still no cover note or policy docs arrived, turned out the dealer had "forgot" to arrange the cover hence she had been driving un-insured.

She called their UK Press Office and told them she was going to tell her story to the press if the problem wasn't resolved in 48hrs. She got a call next morning from their UK chief exec who had it sorted by lunchtime with two years free insurance.

Go to the top Jer, works wonders.

G-CPTN
18th Apr 2006, 13:01
So HOW did the car get registered and taxed without a cover-note in the owner's name?
Maybe the vehicle was 'pre-registered' by the dealer?

Gainesy
18th Apr 2006, 13:32
Got it in one.

rustle
18th Apr 2006, 13:51
My missus had a run in with Toyota UK a couple of years ago, bought a new Shogun that was supposed to have a year's insurance thrown in, after two weeks still no cover note or policy docs arrived, turned out the dealer had "forgot" to arrange the cover hence she had been driving un-insured.

She called their UK Press Office and told them she was going to tell her story to the press if the problem wasn't resolved in 48hrs. She got a call next morning from their UK chief exec who had it sorted by lunchtime with two years free insurance.

Go to the top Jer, works wonders.

Hmmm.

WTF would Toyota UK be interested in a Mitsubishi Shogun's insurance status?

GearDown&Locked
18th Apr 2006, 14:19
When you talk to Toyota, can you tell them that their "car" is feckin ugly, please.

I'll second that!:ok:

GD&L

Gainesy
18th Apr 2006, 16:18
AAAArrgghhh. :{

Sorry chaps, brain fart. Twas indeed Mitsubishi. The dealer just down the road from the Belgrano.:}

Anyhow she got rid of it after two years and got a VW Mazda thingy from Chrysler.

I'll stick to me Landie in future.:rolleyes:

Jerricho
18th Apr 2006, 16:38
You know, I think I may have to name my new vehicle "Acbus1" or somefink like that.

airship
18th Apr 2006, 16:40
When all the car parks at the same airfield: at the base of the control tower, the short-term and the long-term carparks, are finally full of foreign cars (not too bad as long as they come out of the s.e. USA Japanese assembly plants I suppose), there will nevertheless come a day when Jerricho wonders why the only aircraft operating out of his place are coming from or destined to China.

He'll know soon enough, the day he gets his walking papers because he's being replaced by someone out of BC and who speaks Cantonese and Mandarin fluently enough to deal with the traffic...?! :E

Noah Zark.
18th Apr 2006, 16:43
A colleague was having similar problems with a large dealership in town, being fobbed off with all sorts of nonsense after paying a huge lump of money for one of their gleaming heaps, and getting very bad follow-up service to put some faults right.
One day, at the dealership, after still not getting anywhere with the problem, he called up several friends who were available, who all turned up in their cars, and they blockaded every entrance to the premises, trapping people in there who had just called in for fuel, car wash, etc. No-one could get in or out.
The service manager went berserk, and said he was going to call the police. My colleague said "Fine, go ahead, I'm calling the local rag, the local radio station, and the local T.V. station."
He then went to great lengths to explain to the people who were "trapped" because of his actions why he was doing it, and by this time Mr. Very Big of the Dealership had appeared on the scene. Needless to say, the problems were very quickly sorted out.

Jerricho
18th Apr 2006, 16:43
That has been mentioned before Airship, but I've got an advantage over the locals as I'm a foreigner myself :E Getting rid of me would amount to discrimination.

airship
18th Apr 2006, 16:50
D'you remember the movie Deliverance Jerry...?! That was a Ford Bronco if I recall. Just imagine if it had been a Hyundai...?! :uhoh:

Jerricho
18th Apr 2006, 16:59
I do Airship.

"Dueling shamisens" doesn't quite have the same ring to it ;)

airship
18th Apr 2006, 17:16
My (extremely frustratrated (some are jes frustrated)) Canadian bros have been on the line to me. They'd like to use ya as an example Jerry. But I said Wait! Maybe he likes Gordon Lightfoot?! So ya have 10 minutes to complete the following lyrics:

The lamp is burnin' low upon my table top
The snow is softly falling
The air is still within the silence of my room
I hear your voice softly calling

Otherwise, all you'll have ta remember is the summer side of life...?! :uhoh:

Jerricho
18th Apr 2006, 17:19
f I could only have you near

To breathe a sigh or two

I would be happy just to hold the hands I love

Upon this winter night with you............

Ummmm, forget I know that.

airship
18th Apr 2006, 17:30
Uhmmm, ok Jerry...:ok: You're cleared upto 12,000 whatevers...:O

Paris Dakar
18th Apr 2006, 21:27
Jerricho,

Apologies for getting to this thread a little too late perhaps but I would like to offer the following.

If you want to cause your dealership as much trouble as possible you must disengage 'rant' mode, and opt for 'pleasant' mode.

Once in this mode you contact 'Hideaki Otaka, President, Toyota Motor North America, and you also copy 'The CEO of Toyota' (Hiroshi Okuda) into your letter (their details will be on the Toyota website). Explain to them that you are unhappy with your dealings, and explain that by buying Toyota you thought you were buying a quality product. Tell them about the shoddy customer care and how you feel let down.

You then retire to your armchair, pour yourself a cool one, and wait for the fun to begin. Toyota will be in touch with you faster than you can spell thir name.

Good luck

Buster Hyman
18th Apr 2006, 23:04
I got run over by a Toyota once...oh, what a feeling!

Jerricho
18th Apr 2006, 23:23
Well, I've just sent an interesting email off, thanks to you Paris.

Who wants to read it :E

(Buster, you suck)

wingman863
19th Apr 2006, 00:20
ohhh, I do!

I hope it was obnoxiously polite yet had the tone of a castrated puppy begging for it's balls back.

Jerricho
19th Apr 2006, 00:30
Let's just say it was work of art.

I love using words like "experience tainted", "Guess I missed out on that one" and "feeling very let down by the experience of purchasing Toyota's most exciting vehicle release for years" (that's my favorite). I even managed to drop in that the sales manager told me "all he could do was apologise". I can think of several other things he could do :E (I didn't put that in)

I think I want to print it off and rub it all over my body. Then shower..........I feel dirty.

Howard Hughes
19th Apr 2006, 01:33
Sounds like you've done great Jerricho, "feeling" is the most effective word to use in a letter of complaint, especially when it is followed by negative experiences!

Can't wait to hear the result.:ok:

Jerricho
19th Apr 2006, 01:39
Can't talk.......still showering.

Howard Hughes
19th Apr 2006, 01:41
Eeeew, I don't feel well now.....;)

Buster Hyman
19th Apr 2006, 03:27
(Buster, you suck)
At least I don't blow....like....:E :ouch:

Good to see you ignored my suggestion though!:rolleyes: Last time I help a Toyota driver!:hmm:

Jerricho
19th Apr 2006, 03:44
It's Ok Buster.........in a year or two Toyota will own Ford and we'll all be part of a big happy family :E

Buster Hyman
19th Apr 2006, 03:50
Inbred you mean?http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/spezial/Fool/crazy.gif

Jerricho
19th Apr 2006, 04:41
Inbred, hybrid.......all the same thing.

Ali Barber
19th Apr 2006, 06:08
http://images.despair.com/banners/disservice/disservicesatisfied.jpg

Solid Rust Twotter
19th Apr 2006, 09:01
Sounds filthy, Jerricho.

I'm so turned on.....:E

acbus1
19th Apr 2006, 11:00
You know, I think I may have to name my new vehicle "Acbus1" or somefink like that.
I doubt that even that would help. :rolleyes: