PDA

View Full Version : Boredom, good or eeeevil

Foss
17th Apr 2006, 17:05
I just read an newpaper article saying boredom can be good because it encourages reading, art and creativity.

However when younger, and severly bored, my brother and I would spend hours building replica race tracks for Scalectric (sp?) then race and watch the cars go round, and round, and round.. for days. True boredom.

What did you do when you were bored as a kid. (before PS2, News 24, Internet, Pprune, drink etc)

Fos

timmcat
17th Apr 2006, 17:07
Locked myself in my bedroom with back issues of 'Amateur Photographer' :ok:

The Desert Ferret
17th Apr 2006, 17:12
I used to start fires.

tony draper
17th Apr 2006, 17:14
In my day all sprogs seemed to have a hobby,even the thug school bully such as oneself ,they collected stamps fossils swords guns birds eggs,took train number or occupied themselves in like ways,one admits one steers well clear of kids nowaday where possible but it seems to me the hobby habit has died out now.
Seems to be the dads that have hobbies now.
:cool:

colmac747
17th Apr 2006, 17:28
What did you do when you were bored as a kid?

Usually sat in the middle of a room and shat myself...that would always get people's attention and therefore make me less bored:\

Seriously, never really been the bored-type person. Had Ham Radio from an early age - that tends to keep you occupied if you're into that kinda stuff;)

tall and tasty
17th Apr 2006, 17:34
Sit and plan ways of getting my brothers back for filling my shoes with worms or pockets with maggots. As brothers always did, or those great big spiders in your jumpers.

So we used to play cowboys and indians and one day I did threaten to light the fire underneath them!! But I was stopped by my big sis, probably better I was.

Oh we used to pass the time making camps in the woods and sitting on the wall counting cars that went by.

Reading, playing with cars, dolls or what ever or being frog marched on 6 mile walks by my mother who believed fresh air was good for children no matter what the weather!

I don't think I had much time to be bored.

I did decide to dig up the entire crazy paving around the house in search of fossil trilobites at the age of 4 and at 5 decided to separate an extremely rare set of stamps my father was about to put into auction, because I thought they would look good on my album cover. He really could not be too angry with the fluttering blond eye lashes of his fav little angel! Or if he was he did not show it:O

TnT

Foss
17th Apr 2006, 17:37
Ferret
My brother also went down the lighting fires route, except he did it in the bedroom on the carpet, twit.

He now designs massive 800m long furnaces. God help us all.

Fos

The Desert Ferret
17th Apr 2006, 17:38
Foss,

Funnily enough my elder brother spent his youth chasing me putting fires out.

Now he's a postman.

df

Lon More
17th Apr 2006, 18:19
Didn't have time to get bored.Spent lots of time in Casualty, getting stitches, plaster etc. due to habit of falling of walls, trees,etc.
From about age 7 got put to work on Saturday mornings washing dad's car. Soon got fed up of doing that and decided to graduate to washing the trucks.
Managed to start one, got it into reverse aand out of the garage. Unfortunately I didn't think to open the doors.
Dad was not amused.
One very large wooden door in splinters, fortunately only scratches on Foden though.
i wisely waited about five years before repeating the offense.

frostbite
17th Apr 2006, 18:22
That's what started me smoking! Aged about 10, I think.

Paris Dakar
17th Apr 2006, 18:30
Although the grey matter aint wot it used to be, I really can't remember being that bored when I was young Paris.

I had my bike to ride, I had Action Man, my cars, and along with my younger brothers we used to play Scalextric too.

But the vast majority of the time we were always out! We used to go to the park and play on rides that would never be allowed to be built these days or climb on the giant 'monkey bars'.

Ahh, the energy, the fun - and life was one big 'no worry' adventure :sad:

tony draper
17th Apr 2006, 18:35
Bearing in mind that most young peeps don't seem to start work until they are about 27 these days bordom is hardly supprising,my lot had been working for a living for ten years before this lot clock in for the first time.
:rolleyes:

maxman
17th Apr 2006, 18:47
Odd that you should start this thread. We were talking about the same thing at work the other day. It appears we all used to enjoy building dams in small rivers, just to see what would happen :uhoh:

IB4138
17th Apr 2006, 18:50
Used to go down to local branch line, before Beeching closed it and wait for Rocket like steam loco to pull it's two coaches over the penny I had placed on the line, thus making my penny bigger.

Seemed a good idea at the time, but the penny , despite being bigger wern't worth more, it was wurth less!:(

Tight Slot
17th Apr 2006, 19:02
I used to make wasps angry then put them in my older brothers socks. I havnt seen him in 26 years. He's still bitter.

G-CPTN
17th Apr 2006, 19:11
Watching cricket (my school-friend had whole family that played cricket), scoring (cricket), playing tennis (scoring :E ), bicycle rides (ten miles or so), collecting Airplane photographs, brochures (wrote to ALL the manufacturers) and pasting them onto A1-sized card then binding it into hardboard covers (bloody thing couldn't be lifted!), photography (including aircraft), Air Training Corps . . .
then I got into girls IIRC :E

Saintsman
17th Apr 2006, 19:21
Perhaps its our fault that kids get bored these days. When I was younger we would be off all over the place. On our bikes or even on foot, miles from home exploring, fishing, scrumping etc with our parents having no idea where we were. As long as we were home for tea it was okay. These days the kids are not allowed past the end of the street without us knowing and if they do stray further they have to take their mobile phone - just in case.

tony draper
17th Apr 2006, 19:34
True, we started to go camping when we were about eight,only half a mile away in the fields (the country side was a bit closer then) you would probably be arrested and up in front of the Beak now for letting your kids do that.
:cool:

AnEviltwinEr
17th Apr 2006, 19:38
What do you think you are doing when you are bored? Of course, you are boring yourself!

What a stupid question.:p:ok:

Foss
17th Apr 2006, 20:06
Eviltwin
Don't really get that at all.:confused:
Saintsman
Yip, same thing. You could disappear for hours as long as you were back for dinner.
Playing with catapults, proper compound bows with arrows tipped with hunter heads, .22 air rifles with souped up springs, working out what was in a shotgun cartridge, doing frame stands on BMX's (if you know what that is shout out ;), and a lot of time in casualty.
Oh yeah and running with scissors.
Health and safety would have a fit these days. We'd be made to play bl**by scalextric, but wearing goggles. And gloves. And probably a scarf in case it was chilly.
Fos

AerBabe
17th Apr 2006, 20:18
When my big brother wasn't trying to get me into trouble, we used to make up games and stories together. Sometimes we'd build massive constructions from Lego, or dig holes in the garden. Otherwise I'd read, play with my Action Man (Sindy was a wuss) or make ants explode using the sun and a magnifying glass.

tilewood
17th Apr 2006, 20:29
I can't remember being bored as a youngster. I was always setting fire
to kittens or invading Poland.

They don't make board games like that any more!! :rolleyes:

tall and tasty
17th Apr 2006, 20:36
or make ants explode using the sun and a magnifying glass.my brothers used to love doing that while I confused them by drawing across their paths so they ran in all directions until they picked up the scent.

But the worst thing was when my eldest brother discovered lighter fluid and used to ignite it on the poor ants. Crispie crunchies and then would gather them up and put them in the raisin jar:yuk:along with the bunny poo when he cleaned out Rabbit!!! I could not eat raisins for years!!

TnT

ExSimGuy
17th Apr 2006, 20:37
Fires - one lighted in the coal bunker (right under eaves of house - got beat for that - rightly so)

and the experiment in exothermic reaction, carried out in the bedrrom just after new fitted carpoet installed (managed to move the furniture so that wasn't discovered for years:ok:

AP - Yes!

Camping out - took the "Patrol" to the local Scout Site in January and built our "bivvie" out of snow blocks (very warm!)

Bike rides - got "pulled by the fuzz" and warned about exceeding the 40mph limit (down a long hill between the villages, but still 40 mph)

AirBabe - Bloody younger sister trying to get me into trouble!

Pennies on the railway - yes (likewise, no increase in value)

and if all else failed, and the weather was crap, the OO-guage railway in the loft

Oh, and Colmac - trying to rig an efficient SWL antenna for my Halicrafters when Dad (G3OCR) wouldn't allow anything "resonant" to be slung under his '5RV which might reduce the outgoing RF (and trying to HEAR anything when Dad was on the same band, or one half, quarter, etc below it!! (coil-wire is quite invisible, but tends to get blown down in stong winds!)

(ExSim, since then, G8ILJ/EI3VAW when in Eire years ago on holiday with a Trio and a roll of wire on the end of a bit of coax)

Krystal n chips
17th Apr 2006, 22:11
:zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz:

Never failed me yet ;)

tony draper
17th Apr 2006, 23:46
What you peeps don't understand is when one gets to a certain age it is pleasing to cultivate inertia,the ability to do absolutly **** all for hours on end is a great late life skill, training onself to do nowt is very difficult but very rewarding once a modercum of skill at same is attained.
The occasional shouted outburst of abuse at some huggy fluff spouting hand wringing cack on the telly is allowed of course, and it can be done from one's armchair without to much of one's energy budget being expended
:rolleyes:

sixmilehighclub
18th Apr 2006, 00:09
Watched the planes fly with my father.
Went to Brooklands Museum or played on the racetrack.
Built dens in the lane.
Made dens in the cornfields (like early cropcircles :)).
Snuck into my sisters room to look at her magazines :E
Made 'perfume' from rosepetals and water.
Slid down the stairs in a sleeping bag.
Made things in my room out of shoeboxes (sticky back plastic not included).

powdermonkey
18th Apr 2006, 07:00
We didn't have a TV when I was young, so we had to use our imagination.
Had a very big garden and lived next door to a small farm ( on the outskirts of Brussels ), so we had plenty to do! Had many fruit trees, so fresh fruit was available to eat straight off the trees during spring and summer. ( I recommend NOT eating the very green hard apples too early in spring, the results were ....arhem....a little explosive shall we say). We had descent summers and good snowy winters. In the winter we spent hours building our version of igloos, and icing up our sled tracks so we could race down the hill as fast as possible. In summer we built tents in the garden, played with cap guns, cycled, went to the farm etc etc etc. Essentially we lived outside whenever we could. When it rained ( and it rained a LOT in Belgium) we built anything and everything out of lego, devoured books and listened to music. All I can say is no tv, no xbox or playstations = using your imagination. We also lived close to a military airbase, and our house was not far from a big railway yard, so all the F104s, Phantoms and Mirages used the yard as a visual landmark, which made for a very exciting if noisy environment. Brilliant!!! But I'm sure I got really bored as well sometimes......but tend to remember all the good stuff.
Sorry, little trip down memory lane for me there, didn't mean to put you all to sleep....now where is the xbox:E

acbus1
18th Apr 2006, 07:12
Watched the planes fly with my father.
:ooh:

sixmilehighdad! :}

Worrabout your Mum?....."Right, lets get this Mother off the ground!"

sixmilehighclub
18th Apr 2006, 08:45
descent summers

I think you've been studying too much!!

Windy Militant
18th Apr 2006, 08:59
Spent a lot of time turning old lead waste pipes into fishing weights and catapult slugs with a Parafin Blowlamp, which had very similar ignition problems as early Goblin engines. That and the lead fumes probably explains why I ended up here! :bored: (we need a no eyebrows singed smilie!)

Foss
18th Apr 2006, 09:22
Brother and I watched David Caradine in Kung Fu (that right?) one night, ands the had to go to bed. It was still light and we were bored, so we practised our martial arts skills. I kicked him in the stomach and he passed out. Mother went nuts and rushed him in her arms to a woman down the street who was a nurse.

I was alone, and knew I was in the sh!t. So I made a fort on the bed with pillows and got my bow and arrow (toy one) and waited for the attack.

But I meant business, I took the rubber suckers off the end of the arrows.
Didn't make any difference, my position was overrun.

Go down fighting I say.

Fos :}

powdermonkey
18th Apr 2006, 09:57
Mmmmmmm. yes descent summers.....me thinks you are right Six, I need to get away from these books! Ah well only a week and I'll be finished and then I can have a decent summer!!!