PDA

View Full Version : Ski Hotspots?

Chippie Chappie
17th Apr 2006, 15:41
OK, OK, not aviation related but I need some info on good places to ski for next Jan/Feb. Specifically looking at the French Alps, mix of Green to Black slopes and a chalet for 10 to 12 people WITH A HOT-TUB! Somewhere with reasonable Apres-ski would also be good. Any recommendations from personal experience???
Cheers,
Chips

CDH
17th Apr 2006, 18:56
Can recommend Chamonix, Chalet Cosmique. Sleeps (12 in doubles- 14 at a push). We (8) were there in January.
'G' the owner was an excellent host & unofficial guide, Dom was/is a first class chef. Excellent service, driven to whichever lift we wanted & picked up again if required in the evening.
Chamonix can be a bit on the steep (vertical) side for the inexperienced though.:eek:

The Desert Ferret
17th Apr 2006, 19:05
Chammonix is awesome ski-ing but you need to know that:

- you need a car to get anywhere;
- folk are very rude with queueing like you've never seen;
- you have to queue to get off the mountain.

I think it is a one-up-man-ship thing amongst folk who plug Chammonix - its a snob thing.

My Euro tips:

Val-d'isere - never lets you down, bags to go at.
St Anton - great terrain, fantastic apres. It has the benefit of actually feeling like an overseas country owned (by Austrians) unlike many others that are overrun by Brits, Aussies, Kiwis and miscellaneous tossers.

Jerricho
17th Apr 2006, 19:12
Loads of great ski runs out here in the prairies :E

(Cross country that is ;) )

ExSimGuy
17th Apr 2006, 19:20
There's indoor skiing in Dubai, and you can ski in the morning and water-ski in the afternoon

(and take Russian Lessons in the evenings if you don't take the Missus)

DG101
17th Apr 2006, 20:09
With skidoos as ski lifts, I presume, J.

Anyhow, why do you want a hotspot for a ski holiday? I shoulda thought a coolspot would be more appropriate

Chacha
17th Apr 2006, 20:21
http://www.skiline.co.uk/searchpages/quicksearch.asp

I stayed here four/five years ago and the skiing is excellent too! .. Car hire and ski bus all central! .. Excellent resort and near Innsbruck as well to visit the Zoo! .. Honestly you can't go wrong here! .. :ok:

http://www.skiline.co.uk/resultspages/quickResults.asp?resortID=1&Submit.x=39&Submit.y=12

AnEviltwinEr
17th Apr 2006, 22:23
Snow-Way? (known as Norway)

Lots of snow here :p

tinpis
18th Apr 2006, 03:32
In the eerie pale Arctic light the Skandihooligan peered through the Leopold mounted on the M 107.
Putting the red dot right behind the targets ear,she took a steady intake of breath and gently squeezed....

:rolleyes: please?

BlueWolf
18th Apr 2006, 07:44
There's indoor skiing in Dubai, and you can ski in the morning and water-ski in the afternoon
COLOR]

That sounds like outdoor skiing in New Zealand ;)

For your Northern Hemisphere winter I'd seriously consider North America. Whistler or Colorado. Big runs, continentally predictable climate, English spoken.
:ok:

Chippie Chappie
18th Apr 2006, 09:17
Thanks for that guys n gals.

Jerricho, looking forward to that at a later date :ok:

I know tinpis. However, while the idea of sitting at the top of the slope with a high powered rifle, gently picking off first the beginners and then the more advanced skiers as one becomes more proficient seems appealing initially, I was looking for a more relaxing holiday.

Well done DG101, you spotted it. Congratulations on keeping up ;)

Cheers,

Chips

panda-k-bear
18th Apr 2006, 15:27
Hmmm, shows what I have on the brain - every time I see this thread my brain automatically interprets the title as Ski Hotpants.

I need a cold shower.

pilgrim flyer
19th Apr 2006, 09:38
Chalet Pierre in Meribel v. good - Snowline.

I was well looked after when I broke my ankle on day 4 out of 11 this year, grrrrrr....

Ski in when snow's good, 1 min walk from lift + free rides to/from town/apres ski.

Enjoy.

PF