PDA

View Full Version : JCAB Medical

VintageRed
17th Apr 2006, 12:34
Hello there PPruners, I know there has been a great deal of information posted on the JCAB medical and what it entails, but my post is about interpreting the results.

I recently (4 weeks ago) underwent the testing in the US and I am now starting to freak out.

As far as general fitness is concerned, eyesight 20/20 (6/6), blood pressure 130 over something (i think 65 or there abouts), hearing only a 5 db loss on one freq. No illicit drug usage, only one or 2 alcoholic beverages a month and no smoking. That would all seem to be pretty good and in those areas i'm not really concerned. What i am concerned about is the BMI, i am 5'10" 185lbs (this gives me 26.5 but i think the nurse rounded it up to 27) this is in the overweight category, and i am worried that this will disqualify me. I have heard that as long as you are below 30 (obese) you are ok but i find that hard to believe.

There was also a stress test component on a treadmil. My max heart rate was 192, during the test they got me up to 202 i think (bloody hell it was hard) and only on level 4 or 5 (i cant remember, it was 12.5 mins). I am not the fittest person in the world and my heart took a long time to recover to 100 BPM, i had gastro the week leading up to the test also but i never made a mention of it - idiot. (BTW my cholesterol is quite normal, even on the low side last time i had it checked). The doc mentioned that i was not too fit but my heart reacted normally to the stress etc. and as far as i could see he had scribbled "low risk" on a report.

As for the psych, who the knows, and the EEG, who knows again. My concern is the BMI and the stress test.

I would appreciate some feedback if possible. If others with similar results have passed or failed i would like to hear about your experiences. feel free to PM if you prefer.

Cheers
...Red

glekichi
17th Apr 2006, 19:23
Never attempted the JCAB but hope to sometime in the future.
Found a whole lot of information through JCABs website:eek:
I work as a JP-EN translator but Im not gonna do the whole thing, that would take forever, but the secion on BMI is section 1-2 (3) and states that your BMI should be below 30 and if it is above that then further tests are administered to determine your health. Still doesnt necessarily put you out.
This is the official JCAB aviation medical manual.
http://www.aeromedical.or.jp/manual/manual.htm
Good luck:ok:

bananahead
18th Apr 2006, 07:57
Hi glekichi,

Just sent you a PM.

Cheers