PDA

View Full Version : Macflite Archerfield Instructors.

novicef
17th Apr 2006, 04:38
Any info. on this company would be appreciated.

1. How many hours a month do you fly?

2. Are they willing to upgrade instructors?

3. Can they do instructor and instrument rating renewals.?

4. Is the job permanent or casual?

5. What is the chance of moving on to a Metro at some later time?

roger_ramjet
17th Apr 2006, 06:08
Not sure of the specifics but here's a stab at some of your questions!

Prob around 60-70. More for VFR, less if you're doing IFR training.

If you're doing a good job then I don't see why not.

IR - probably, not sure about instructor.

Permanent, as stated in the online ad in AFAP.

Not great, although it's a foot in the door and in this industry that can mean a lot. I'm sure they'd appreciate some turbine time, particularly on Metros since they are training cadets for the Metro - nothing personal but it's a bit hard to train students to reach a certain level if you don't have experience at that level.

Sykes
17th Apr 2006, 06:42
Any info. on this company would be appreciated.
Answers here:
1. Ring them and ask
2. Ring them and ask
3. Ring them and ask
4. Ring them and ask
5. Ring them and ask
Btw... This would probably work for the other thread you started about
Kim air, and all the other threads you've started asking pretty much the same thing.:ok:
Cheers.

novicef
17th Apr 2006, 07:19
Well sykes, I was hoping the get the info from an employee who is currently working there or a past employee.

Hopefully the info would be more accurate. Unfortunately from past experience what your told on the phone and what you get when you actually get there can be very different. Even I have learnt that in the short space of time that I've been in the industry.

I'm not saying that will be the case in the two companies mentioned but once bitten........

I would suggest if you can't provide any information, you should stop wasting your time and posting drivel.

Sykes
17th Apr 2006, 08:10
So, instead of getting ANY information from the CP or the CFI, you're getting it from Pprune? From anonymous users on a public website?

Novicef by name and novice by nature!

P.S. If you don't like drivel answers, then don't ask drivel questions. :}

roger_ramjet
17th Apr 2006, 08:37
I would suggest that this sort of forum is exactly the place to ask informal questions, but nothing beats info from the horse's mouth. There's nothing wrong with gathering comments from an internet forum to supplement phone calls or other sources - so go for it novicef, just ignore the drivel replies.

As a professional training organisation I'm sure they would never lead you "down the garden path" with misleading advice over the phone. These guys provide cadets to major regionals so don't put them in the same category as some GA schools you may have encountered. Give 'em a call and see how you go...

Deigs
17th Apr 2006, 14:06
Hi novicef, I'm currently working for them so I should be able to answer your questions.

Did 500hrs last year (doesn't include all the SIMs, pre-briefs, de-briefs, Mass Briefs, report writing that you have to do) - basically you're not bored.

Yep. Started as a Jr Gr 3, did my Gr 2 as well as my instrument training approval. You will also teach aeros. It all comes down to merit (I must have snuck through the system) and whether you plan on staying around.

Yes. Instructor renewal is done in-house. The Instrument renewal is done by a specified external testing officer (PB).

We'd prefer premanent, but willing to negotiate.

Not much (do you have 500 multi?). Again it's that 'merit' thing.

Overall this is a great job for an instructor. There are many students at different phases of the course so on any one day you could be teaching aeros, S&L, and ILSs. The students are keen and since it's a full-time course you can really tell them what you thought of their performance without having to sugar-coat it (to protect your client base). The pay is in-line with the Award (there wouldn't be many places in Oz where a Jr Gr 3 is on a fixed annual salary) and there's no penny-pinching by management (ie. super/uniforms/stationary). There are 4 different types of a/c so you never get bored of flying the same type. The Citabria's good for tail-wheel, aeros & stick-n-rudder skills (which seem to be lacking in today's pilot). There's the C182 for PPL NAVs, the Mooney for CPL NAVs and early IF, and the Duchess for MECIR. Basically I can't recommend the position enough to the right applicant. We're not after a particular Grade or experience; the other 2 instructors are Grade 1's with all the approvals, so you don't have to be a Grade 1 to apply. What's more important is the ability to fit in and meet the standard (we can always upgrade you along the way - as happened to me).

Hope this has been a help.

Deigs

PS. Submit a resume anyway - it can't hurt (it will only cost you 50c). Plus it gives us a laugh :E