PDA

View Full Version : Vast range of prices for the same camera.

Loose rivets
17th Apr 2006, 01:12
I am at last going to buy my SLR camera. I intend to purchase it in the US of course, but am perplexed at the sheer range of prices for the same item. The new Nikon D200 for instance, can range from $2,600 down to $1,146 (body only of course).

Also, the strange absence of sales tax, if one sends off for it, covers the top delivery costs...plus some.

Has anyone got any good or bad tales, about sending to NY etc for cheap photographic kit? B & H are well established, but what of some of the cheaper ones?

LR

737TG
17th Apr 2006, 08:57
I am in the UK and saved a fortune on a Sony digital camera by searching on line and choosing a French company (pixmania.com) who had it delivered within 4 days...from Paris. They also offered various packages including cases/memory cards etc.
I used this price comparison website (http://www.pricerunner.co.uk/photography/digital-cameras/browse?&search=nikon+d200&other_hits=209%3Anikon+d200_200%3Anikon+d200%3B%3B326%3B&q=nikon+d200&ref=redirect).
No Problems!
Cheers!

Luke SkyToddler
17th Apr 2006, 13:04
Strangely enough I also purchased a camera recently from pixmania and saved about 1/3 of UK retail price.

Pixmania sell through the 'third party sellers' thing on amazon.co.uk which makes it even easier, can pay with UK switch card etc.

Loose rivets
18th Apr 2006, 07:37
It gets stranger. After finding an even cheaper deal, with US garentees etc I noted that it was with free delivery. Everthing comes from the UK!
I just can't get my head round why Ken Rockwell keeps saying that having 10mp is no better than having 6. resolution-wise. the D200 v the D50/70 70s etc. Seems counterintuitive.:confused:

The 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 G ED-IF AF-S VR DX Zoom-Nikkor Lens sounds fantastic, but another $800, I know they say the lens is the prime part of the camera, but can it really be worth that much?

R

Jhieminga
18th Apr 2006, 13:55
I just can't get my head round why Ken Rockwell keeps saying that having 10mp is no better than having 6 Indeed your intuition is saying something else, but the whole megapixel race was driven (I think) by consumers wanting 'bigger numbers' just because it was a larger number and therefore sounded better when boasting about your latest aquisition to the neighbor. As technology develops (as is still the case with digicam sensors) we might eventually get to a point where we can get a good quality 25 megapixel sensor (which is roughly the amount of information on old fashioned negative film), but that will take time. Until then every new sensor will suffer quality issues which degrades the quality of your photos. Also the sensor is one thing but the camera software behind it is another important issue. That's why two different cameras with the same sensors can deliver two different images.

The thing to ask yourself is what are you going to do with those photos that you shoot? I used to have a 2 MP camera and I can easily print those photos at A4 size. More than enough for my purpose. I now have a 4 MP digicam and just last week I had two photos printed at 30x45cm. At that size I was just beginning to see some quality loss, but only when I was 5cm away from the photo, and the fact that the photo was taken near the limits of the camera (quite dark, 400 ISO setting, which is max for my small Canon compact) must also be taken into account. When framed and hanging on the wall the photo looks brilliant. I cannot see myself printing photos any larger than that, so do I need more megapixels???
...but another $800, I know they say the lens is the prime part of the camera, but can it really be worth that much? Yes, it is.

And I can say that without ever having touched that lens :p
That particular lens has a very large zoom range, is a very good quality piece of Nikon glass and has an in-built vibration reduction mechanism. All of that costs money. If you are thinking of buying a D200 or a D70s, then you might choose the kit lens that is available with the D70s which is a 18-70mm lens. This lens alone will set you back some $400 I'm guessing (based on the price I would pay in Europe). Compared to the lens you named you can see that the zoom range is smaller and there is no VR system. These are pretty 'normal' prices to pay for good quality Nikon lenses.

In the end you are better off saving money on your camera body and investing in good lenses. I think that the lens can account for 80-90% of the quality of the photo.

As for why the prices differ so much, I cannot help you there. The issue we've got here in The Netherlands is that you can save a few bucks if you decide to get an imported model, i.e. from Germany, the US or Hongkong. The downside is that you get a manual in English (not a problem for me, but it can be for others) and that you may have problems getting your camera serviced under warranty. I'm only a few mouseclicks and the decision itself away from buying a D70s kit but I will get a properly imported model for that reason. The fact that I can then go to the local Nikon service center if anything arises is an important factor for me.

Anyway, I hope I haven't cluttered up the issue any more. Good luck with your purchase :ok:

Out Of Trim
18th Apr 2006, 16:01
I own the Nikon D70 and have used/compared it with my brothers Nikon D200; whilst the D200 build quality is a lot nicer and indeed almost Pro standard, it is though, almost twice the price.

However, when directly comparing the images side by side I was surprised to find it is virtually impossible to tell which camera produced either one! I dare say, that you would eventually see a difference if you printed them both large enough! ie. Extremely large - But, what I'm getting at, is that the difference between 6mp and 10mp in image quality is not as wide as one would assume. Both Cameras can give the same stunning results.

The Nikon 18-70mm "Kit" lens is very good and I have to say that 18-200 VR lens is also superb and suits the D200 very well.

Personally, I think the quality of the lens is more important than the body.

Loose rivets
18th Apr 2006, 16:43
Thanks for the answers.

Just a thought on the warranty issue. As mentioned, the Hatton Garden!! based supplier states that, here, I would have full US cover. You might check to see what your terms would be. BUT, remember, I have no knowledge of these folk. However, they did answer an e-mail question very quickly.

http://digionics.com/cgi-bin/cp-app.cgi?usr=51F6449054&rnd=3610261&rrc=N&affl=&cip=68.89.75.132&act=&aff=&pg=cat&ref=digdcam&catstr=HOME:digital
This was not working this AM but may be being worked on????
*********Message from the Abuse Department at StreamlineNet
We regret to inform you that we have suspended this domain with immediate effect. At present, its operation is in breach of our terms and conditions. Please contact a member of our abuse team as soon as possible and they will explain the reasons for suspending the domain. Wherever we can, we will work with you to ensure that we can re-instate the domain straight away. Although our Technical Support and Account Management Teams are aware of the status of your domain, they will not be able to help until our abuse team has resolved the matter.***********:confused:

Well, one will wait and see.

My son's D50 seems to be very good, and some suppliers are showing prices of $275 for the body. It sounds as though I should be buying that lens and at least at first, getting a D50 or 70.

What I would dearly like to do, is show my pics on the new Sony t/v, and although such a purchase is out of the question ( $3,600 for the 50" ) I'm tempted to ask the salesman if I can hook up a camera to one in the store. Despite working on broadcast quality T/V cameras, I know nothing of the nature of the output signals on SLRs. (Except that I gather that they offer NTSC / PAL) Is the direct connection capable of going up to Hi def levels?
LR

Loose rivets
24th Apr 2006, 17:40
Mmmm.........I can now answer my own question.

When they say body, they mean just that. B & H show just what you are getting if you press the right tab. City21electronics don't, and I just assumed. One has to be soooooo careful with batteries and charger costing $500 ish.

I can understand selling without the lens...but without the battery? It has to be a ploy.

A $200+ battery, that is performing to about a third of the claimed level, is not what I want to hear from a world leader, especially when it needs a $200+ charger.

Now, where's my old Pentax?

Jhieminga
24th Apr 2006, 19:45
I can understand selling without the lens...but without the battery? It has to be a ploy.
A Nikon camera being sold without the battery or charger??? :eek: I'm sure that that's a ploy!

Nikon camera's come in nice black and gold boxes which include a battery and charger. If someone tries to sell you one without those accessories I'd be walking out of that store. Obviously I'm on the other side of the Atlantic and things may be different over there, but still I've seen enough review sites from the US stating that a battery and charger definitively ARE included with a Nikon camera.

Loose rivets
24th Apr 2006, 23:05
Just plain avarice on my part. Seeing the D50 at $270 ish is like a magnet. B & H as I say, are very clear in what you get. Century21electronics certainly are not.

By the time I had added the bat and charger, the D200 came to $1,550. Of course, the memory and essentials like a case were all to be added as well.

I agree that it's strange about the box issue. Perhaps Nikon offer all permutations to cover folk who want to replace damaged or stolen kit.

I did just check that it was the same logic for the D50 and it was. You could tell from the salesman's voice, that as soon as I asked about this, he knew that I was no longer a punter. It's a hard world...well, in NY anyway.

I had set my heart on Nikon, but as a stopgap, I'm now reconsidering the Canon XT. now with $200 of mail in rebates. (I hate that, one has to be so tenuous to get the money.) It has 8mp with well thought of processing, but it's just does not have a pro feel to it. Decisions, decisions.

innuendo
25th Apr 2006, 05:00
The font of information on cameras digital is:
www.dpreview.net

Go there and there is a goldmine of info.
The forums can become a bit partisan but there are some people posting there who are VERY informative.

innuendo
25th Apr 2006, 05:13
jheiminga's comments you can take to the bank.

Good lenses will outlast several editions of bodies. A Rebel XT with good glass will produce far better images than a 20D with low end lenses on it.
An example can be found in www.dpreview.net , go to the 350D forum and search on Daniella, she is a birder and is very good but she also uses some of Canon's good lenses on her Rebel XT.

The number of pixels is not as important as the size of sensor they are squeezed into and the camera's internal software that processes the image.

Loose rivets
25th Apr 2006, 06:00
I was aware of the site, but the young lady had something to say of significance.

"I am going to shoot on an assignment..they are barely accepting 8mp..and 6mp- is definitely not accepted. that says it all."

Mmmmm.......the plot thickens.

At the end of the day the best option would be to try the Canon and compare in detail against my son's D50. EDIT: well, it would be if I didn't want to sart collecting Nikon leses

I accept the quality of the final prints is acceptable, but I'm still mindful of the ability to zoom in on a hi def screen. I have a B&W print -- c 1925 -- that I have scanned. I can zoom in until i can read the prices on the items in shop windows. To get pixels way before this seems....disappointing.

I suppose I'm a dinosaur, I got a used Yashica in Malta in 1966 and it feels as though it is hewn out of solid brass. It takes real energy to make it shake. My Pentax has turned out some stunning pix, but the ratio is equal to about 1 perhaps 2 per roll.

innuendo
25th Apr 2006, 06:36
Rivets,

"I am going to shoot on an assignment..they are barely accepting 8mp..and 6mp- is definitely not accepted. that says it all."

You are talking about professional publishing requirements here. If you are earning a living with your gear then that is a different story and cost can be justified as tools of the trade, written off over time.

A 16 megapixel Canon EOS 1DSmkII is getting close to $8,000 for the body alone.

P.Pilcher
25th Apr 2006, 09:34
One of my pro friends was telling me the other day that he is now buying a new camera on average every six months to keep up with the technology!

P.P.

boeingbus2002
25th Apr 2006, 11:29
Bought a Cannon A620 recently, and so far quite happy with it.
However what was interesting was the price differences. I searched online and saw PCworld offering it online for £195. I reserved it and collected it from the store as I couldn't wait another 2 days for delivery. I also decided to get a 1Gb SD card. Total (£234). In store the same camera costs more than the bundle I received. The actual memory card I received was the ULTRA version...higher spec than the normal version I requested..same price though!

Looking at Dixons/Argos etc the same combination would have cost me almost £400!!

Loose rivets
26th Apr 2006, 16:40
I have been listening to Cetury21electronics' verbiage for the last hour. I had plenty to do, so with head-phones and boom mic at the ready, I listened to some quite nice piano music and softly spoken lies.

"Our good reputation is our best asset."

However, when finally contact with a human was made, he, and then subsequent operatives, had no time to continue a conversation beyond a 20 second limit.

"Can I ascertain that you are willing to sell me......" "Are you ready to place an order?" "Well I,... Click.

Customer service, after a ten minute wait. "I've been talking to your sales......" "I'll put you through to that department." "NO! I've just......" Click.

With sheer bloody mindedness I hung on and on and via another aborted contact with sales I finally got back to customer service.

"Customer service, please hold." Some minuets later. "Customer service."

"Hi, I spoke to you a few minutes ago....." Click. Not one word, and back to the piano.

After about 10 more minutes Adam from sales answered. He obviously had a moment to spare...not a minute, but a moment. After rasing the subject of the battery, he asked for which camera.

"Canon 20D"

"not available...4 to 6 weeks"

"The Nikon D200?"

"Not available. Try again in 4 to 6 weeks."

I thanked him and hung up.

I have to be sure of my accusations, so I called back to an extension number that I know is not any of those that I have called this morning.

Canon 20D IS available, but a ‘complete' deal is quickly offered. (no lens--if that can be considered complete, but at least this is fairly common.)

Just what if I had spent good money there and I needed support? Huh!